[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

24 minutes ago, Invaderchaos said:

This reminded me of something I’ve been meaning to ask about. I’ve been doing a few mapping missions with the Keyhole vehicles on JNSQ, and usually when I try getting back to Kerbin in the reentry vehicle, the heat shield runs out of ablator. In some cases both the heat shield and parachute explode due to overheating but the reentry pod survives, only to slam into the ocean.

I know JNSQ’s Kerbin atmosphere is higher than stock’s, but I don’t what I’m doing wrong. Is it just my fault for having a simply too steep reentry? I’ve only been able to keep the pod from overheating by spinning after reentering at super low LKO orbits, which would usually be fine but for mapping higher orbits are necessary, as in IRL Corona’s orbit was around 160 km if I’m correct, and scansat requires and even higher orbit for better scans. Maybe there should be an option to add more ablator to the reentry heat shield with the cost of added weight?

I've made quite a few adjustments today

KH1, KH4 and KH4B all will now use the low res altimetry scan module

KH7, KH8 and MOL will use the high res module but the altitude requirements are now the same as low res since IRL these optical systems would be deployed in low orbit. The FOV is still narrower though.

Some changes have been made to the maxTemp of the heat shield. I did a couple of tests in JNSQ deorbiting from 127km, steep entry with full burn on the retro motor and it survived.

Do let me know any feedback though.

I know enough to know that it's what it looks like if you're making it look like the blanket-less museum piece, as opposed to what was said about insulation in this very thread a few posts back. That's not how an on-orbit KH-9 looked like.

11 minutes ago, Dragon01 said:

I know enough to know that it's what it looks like if you're making it look like the blanket-less museum piece, as opposed to what was said about insulation in this very thread a few posts back. That's not how an on-orbit KH-9 looked like.

Well, what do you intend on doing about that?

1 hour ago, Dragon01 said:

48 minutes ago, Dragon01 said:

Remind @CobaltWolf that people paid money to, among other things, let him know about the MLI thing? :) 

Hello, I'm one of those "people that paid money" for the proper documentation to make a BDB-worthy KH9. First, Cobalt is not unaware of the fact that the KH9 had MLI. In fact, I believe Cobalt had already answered whether or not MLI would be used in that same post you yourself referenced:

On 1/23/2020 at 6:22 PM, CobaltWolf said:

Of course, making MLI is for suckers...

MLI is very difficult to make nicely in KSP, and even more difficult to make it look stockalike/restockalike. Cobalt has spent a great deal of time and effort working on the KH9, like he does on all the parts he makes, and it's clear from the amazing quality of his parts that he has high standards for his work, and simply the MLI would not meet that standard. And Cobalt isn't obliged to make the parts completely 100% historically accurate, with the whole "stockalike/restockalike" style. And after all, as it says on the first page of this thread:

On 9/30/2015 at 2:21 AM, CobaltWolf said:

(The parts) are not perfect replicas, but rather take inspiration directly from existing designs.

There are plenty of other mods on KSP that make parts in a more historically accurate/less stockalike style, and others that obtain just the assets of spacecraft from 3D models on NASA's website, if those are more to your liking. Personally, I really like the look of the KH9 the way Cobalt has made it so far, but if it is a really big problem for you, the files are free to you to modify for yourself. In my case, I taught myself how to use GIMP so that I could modify planet packs to fit my liking as well as add my personal texture variants to parts.  

Edited by Invaderchaos

1 minute ago, Beetlecat said:

On-topic, and under budget.

True confession: I've never downloaded/installed this pack.

Remedy: will do so this evening.

I warn you, it's thicc but oh so perfect. Cobalt's ambition and drive never ceases to astound me. 

On 1/24/2020 at 4:52 PM, CobaltWolf said:

Totally understand the feelings - BDB can feel quite a bit different than stock.

To quote the FAQ (apologies if this seems curt, I don't mean it that way it just saves me having to retype it :) )

(and to reiterate - the parts are exhaustively balanced to be in line with the stock parts in terms of performance)

Re: the tech tree balance, the KSP tech tree is simply too small for the number of parts. My best advice is to significantly reduce the science rewards in your difficulty options - I'm not really sure what the best level is nowadays but near the lower end. I know once or twice I tested the start of a career and was able to get it so I had to really make use of all the available parts to get the ball rolling. Having to build lunar flyby probes in the basicRocketry/Engineering101 tech level can be a fun challenge and makes playing through the early stages quite rewarding. If coupled with a system rescale, suddenly you need those upper stages and such to get to orbit much less get anywhere with more science. :) 

Another thought I've had during the current dev cycle (which actually greatly expands the early game parts) is this: I don't think I intend players to use all those parts on a given playthrough. Rather, I just like the idea of giving people enough options early on that the beginning of a career isn't the same every time. :)

Thank you for your reply! I've been playing around with the mod and I absolutely love it, once I started investing more time into my playthrough I realised that the engines are actually quite well balanced.The sounds and the visual effects and are amazing. I will try lowering the science rewards a bit, and I hope the devs make it easy for mod developers to create custom paths in the techtree. Great job with the mod!

19 hours ago, mcdouble said:

https://imgur.com/qfmTVDG

I guess I can't embed this, but oh well. Just wanted to show BDB looks great in RSS too :P

Nice pic.   You can embed by posting the Direct link from imgur.    I think it is the third choice down (been a while since I had a screenie to share... and since my new computer is.... well stupid I don't know when I will have one to share.)

Gotta love upgrading from a Quad Channel i7 with 32GB of ram to a Quad Channel i9 with 64GB of ram and everything is SLOWER!!!!   By a large margin.   First PC build in 20 years I have had issues with.

After the resounding success of the Clark probes to Duna and Eve, the KSP has decided to focus on studying the effects of long term micro-gravity on Kerbals and spy on the Krussans by creating a small recon science station, the Maria-1.

raw

Jeb, Bob, and Bill will spend several weeks in orbit before heading back to the surface of Kerbin with the valuable data. This will pave the way for longer interplanetary journeys to Duna, Eve, and eventually beyond.

On 1/23/2020 at 6:33 PM, DeadJohn said:

It takes a few steps but you can find this on your own. Take a screenshot of the parts, put it online, plug it into https://imagecolorpicker.com/

Desktop software can do it with fewer steps, but I don't know what you have access to.

On the other hand, CobaltWolf seems to never sleep and will likely answer before you see my reply ;)

Thanks for the recommendation! I always like to do stuff myself, I think it's better in general for everyone, but I honestly had no idea you could do that!

On 1/23/2020 at 6:43 PM, CobaltWolf said:

I'd be lying if I said I didn't have sleep issues, but usually being tired and post my ADHD medication wearing off is a bad time to try and get work done :P

In all seriousness, you probably would want the base colors underneath all the weathering... or not I suppose, since you might want to match to the colors as-seen.

Titan Brown: #7c5645

Titan Gold: #989288 but these areas had like... a light overlay over them.

Thanks a bunch! I actually like, just want a t-shirt in those colors or something. I think they look mega rad.

12 hours ago, mcdouble said:

Right, it's a video not a pic though. :P

And that is what I get for clicking the link.   Doing a quick look over and then closing Imgur to avoid the inevitable Imgur rabbit hole!   :P

I watched the Video.   Nice real Nice.   Err.... Is it bad that I quote the introduction from the "Damn Yankees" song Piledriver repeatedly and often in talking about great pictures?

And yes... I know my verbiage often sounds like it is coming out of the redundant department of redundancy.

@CobaltWolf  IS the Spiral antenna on the nose of the KH-9 a separate part and is it to be collapsible?

@Zorg   I flew two missions with a KH-4B During my burn-in test on my new computer.    I love that it runs out of film.   It would be nice if there was a good way to "sync" orbits of multiple KH Satelites in game so I can quickly cover the planet.   But....

Cobalt/Zorg, is the Nimbus Solar Panel supposed to have Tracking enabled?   I swear that when I was in game it stated it was a "Tracking" Solar Panel.     But there was ZERO visual Sun Tracking in game.   I did seem to get power from just about every angle...   But I did not spend a lot of time looking at it because I was trying to figure out my new PC Hardware problems and KSP was being played more for a troubleshooting step (with all the mods I have KSP could get laggy on my old i7.)

1 hour ago, Pappystein said:

@Zorg   I flew two missions with a KH-4B During my burn-in test on my new computer.    I love that it runs out of film.   It would be nice if there was a good way to "sync" orbits of multiple KH Satelites in game so I can quickly cover the planet.   But....

Cobalt/Zorg, is the Nimbus Solar Panel supposed to have Tracking enabled?   I swear that when I was in game it stated it was a "Tracking" Solar Panel. 

Glad you’re enjoying it! Yeah for efficient coverage you kind of have to actively manage them. Use a bit of fine tuning on the orbital periods and trigger the start of a scan when passing over unmapped areas. Alternatively just spam LKO with a dozen or so sats :P all the the spirit of the Keyhole program. 

About Nimbus I personally haven’t had a chance to look at them yet. 

I just remembered I live next to the National Air Force Museum here in Dayton Ohio.  And guess what they have?

https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Visit/Museum-Exhibits/Fact-Sheets/Display/Article/195921/hexagon-kh-9-reconnaissance-satellite/

So now I can build it in KSP and go visit it RL  :D

Edited by MashAndBangers