[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

screen_2560x1920_2020-05-05_00-11-47.png

Some more variants. Added some blue just to get the blue nose cone variant of the 1.5m straight eight fairing used on the Explorer 49 mission. The other 3 combinations on the right are non-historical.

On 5/3/2020 at 8:55 AM, biohazard15 said:

Deltas with 9x Castor-2s did not jettison ground-lit boosters right after air-lit ones' ignition - they apparently jettisoned all 9 shortly after air-lit boosters burnout (at least according to spacelaunchreport...).

The problem is, BDB Castor 1\2 like to collide if you jettison several at once (including three at a time). Especially if you try to drop them "Delta II-style", i.e. drop ground-lit ones right after air-lit ignition. The recent patch fixed collisions with boattail, but did nothing about them colliding with each other. Stage delay deals with this, but what's the correct order to drop them? Or should I just stop caring about what happens to the boosters after jettisoning? (apparently I should - see that tumbling booster on video :P )

@Zorg

Delta 1600, 0900, 1900 and 2900 dropped all boosters at once. Air-lit boosters were ignited one second after (or maybe it was one second before that they send the command and they just took time to ignite so the flight profile shows air-lit boosters igniting one second after) ground-lit boosters flamed out. All these Deltas shared the same booster ignition and separation sequence. In the case of Meteosat I they were dropped 70 seconds after the air-lit boosters flamed out, not sure on the other payloads, but I think they basically held them until the rocket was at near zero AoA with the air stream or for range safety. Meteosat launched out of Cape Canaveral so I doubt it was a range safety issue more likely because it had to enter geostationary orbit so had a heck of a dogleg maneuver while ascending.

Delta 3900 was a 5+4 arrangement (5 being ground-lit), and it dropped 3 boosters then 2 boosters in the star arrangement, with the 3 being the head and legs of the star and the 2 being the arms of the star. The air-lit boosters were ignited after the ground-lit boosters were dropped.

Delta 4900 and 5900 were basically cobbled together from old parts plus the addition of the Castor IVs, they probably had a similar booster ignition and drop sequence that the Delta II 6900 and 7900 had given they were built as a bridge to the Delta II.

Delta 6900 and 7900 dropped the ground-lit boosters after the air-lit boosters ignited, sometimes holding onto them slightly longer due to range safety concerns. For example launches out of Vandenberg dropped their ground-lit boosters over 20 seconds after the air-lit boosters ignited while launches out of Cape Canaveral dropped them immediately.

On 5/3/2020 at 10:38 AM, Jso said:

Still? I addressed that recently. You will void your warranty jettisoning at a non-zero angle of attack :)

It was never an issue that needed addressing, this goes back to 1.3.1:

uBr9acP.jpg

Yes that's a Delta III with GEM 46s. Just gotta watch that AoA.

Edited by draqsko
Properly filling out the Delta serial numbers.

2 hours ago, draqsko said:

It was never an issue that needed addressing, this goes back to 1.3.1:

Delta II and III were always OK - probably because GEM-40/46s burn for much longer than Castor 1/2s. Thus, at the burnout they are at far higher altitude, where aerodynamics is not a problem. Castors, on the other hand, tend to do a "drunk dance" when dropped low - just drop them and then look back and see them flying around like they've been fueled with pure C2H5OH. These dances often lead to collisions with boattail (now fixed) and/or each other (doesn't really need a fix).

2 hours ago, biohazard15 said:

Delta II and III were always OK - probably because GEM-40/46s burn for much longer than Castor 1/2s. Thus, at the burnout they are at far higher altitude, where aerodynamics is not a problem. Castors, on the other hand, tend to do a "drunk dance" when dropped low - just drop them and then look back and see them flying around like they've been fueled with pure C2H5OH. These dances often lead to collisions with boattail (now fixed) and/or each other (doesn't really need a fix).

I've only had that problem a few times and it was either because I was attacking the air stream or mounted the decoupler too high or too low. There was a nice little sweet spot where they'd eject clean (although they would still smash well under me). I do like to get aggressive with my ascents so I'm still in the lower part of the atmosphere in that screenshot above.

This one is above the atmosphere and you can see the difference in how they eject.

Z8nNCKp.jpg

And this is somewhere in the last 10 km of atmosphere in my install (because I scaled to 77 km and then stretched it to a nice round number of 80 km in my 2.5x rescale)

Sxw5Fdf.jpg

Technically still burning to apogee here (although TWR is really low for this part of the second stage). Or rather just cut the engine as the screenshot was taken.

8bf1aLb.jpg

And yes that's a Centaur masquerading as a DCSS, never posted it because: a) wasn't really happy with the look, b) Cobalt would probably get upset seeing it on reddit, c) shortly after I put the album together he actually made the DCSS. So you guys are the lucky few to get to see my crazy mashup.

Edited by draqsko

The new Castor decoupler is clipping so we're not getting a clean separation. CW is working on it. If you put the Castor 1/2s on the old mini decoupler they come off just fine.

6 minutes ago, Jso said:

The new Castor decoupler is clipping so we're not getting a clean separation. CW is working on it. If you put the Castor 1/2s on the old mini decoupler they come off just fine.

Yeah that's on my to-do for today.

Sorry for the lack of updates lately y'all. But here's some pics of the current state of Gemini.
The biggest thing left for the minimum capsule config is basically redoing the parachute canopies again. I also want to get the horizon scanner part made.
There's some other stuff, like the antennas, that would have been on all the capsules but I'm not super worrying about them at the moment unless I can fit them on the capsule texture sheet.

JDMEAyy.jpg
jThmygN.png
yqVYHcY.png
WZzFH5i.jpg

Apologizes for the lack of scatterer and EVE in these screenshots (I am on my test save), but there's a new cream variant for the thor/delta parts now on github! This is actually a historical variant (Delta 1910), but the variant also works on thor/delta parts beyond just Delta II parts (like Ablestar, TAID, the Delta III adapter tank, and some of the structural adapter parts).

fTDK8Fh.png

FZ4zkIc.png

cb1aYxc.png

2 minutes ago, Invaderchaos said:

Apologizes for the lack of scatterer and EVE in these screenshots (I am on my test save), but there's a new cream variant for the thor/delta parts now on github! This is actually a historical variant (Delta 1910), but the variant also works on thor/delta parts beyond just Delta II parts (like Ablestar, TAID, the Delta III adapter tank, and some of the structural adapter parts).

Lovely work, any possibility for a variant of the new(ish) Delta boattail with a green or white end, for use with the green Delta III? The current blue scheme looks kind of odd when used with the green tanks.

Also I would just like to ask , whatever happened to the RTG for Nimbus? Is it still planned?

"Jeb Glenn" launches aboard "Kerbship 7"; my new Mercury-Atlas Crew Elevator is featured. :) 

Yeah, it actually was the emergency egress tower (and launch umbilical tower) and had no elevator, but that's no fun. :D Besides, Damon already made the mobile service gantry for Tundra's Space Center TLC-14.

On 5/3/2020 at 10:53 AM, zakkpaz said:

so is it normal for "crappy drogue chute" it have stuff sticking out from it? is that what makes it crappy or am i missing a dependency

What "crappy drogue chute"? The Gemini one? I'm still troubleshooting it.

18 hours ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

Lovely work, any possibility for a variant of the new(ish) Delta boattail with a green or white end, for use with the green Delta III? The current blue scheme looks kind of odd when used with the green tanks.

Also I would just like to ask , whatever happened to the RTG for Nimbus? Is it still planned?

My first thought was that would be hard since the GEMs live on that texture sheet. But then I thought for a second more... I suppose people would be happy to have black filament-wound-case looking variants of the GEMs? That way we could have blue and green variants of the boattail. I wouldn't hold out for more than that though.

Sorry for not responding to your SNAP-19 questions btw. Kept meaning to. The answer is "a collection of RTGs for this update haven't been descoped, but they're definitely not on my mind right now". No ETA, don't want to say definitively whether they'll be included this update.

On 5/5/2020 at 1:05 PM, Jso said:

Follow up on this - my fixes were unsuccessful. Will have to keep trying. This has been an ongoing issue with a lot of my radial decouplers. Not sure why.

14 hours ago, AlphaMensae said:

"Jeb Glenn" launches aboard "Kerbship 7"; my new Mercury-Atlas Crew Elevator is featured. :)

Yeah, it actually was the emergency egress tower (and launch umbilical tower) and had no elevator, but that's no fun. :D Besides, Damon already made the mobile service gantry for Tundra's Space Center TLC-14.

That is absolutely lovely as always, Alpha. :) Wish I had time to spare to build pads. Usually I'm just trying to launch something as quick as possible to test whatever.

32 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Sorry for not responding to your SNAP-19 questions btw. Kept meaning to. The answer is "a collection of RTGs for this update haven't been descoped, but they're definitely not on my mind right now". No ETA, don't want to say definitively whether they'll be included this update.

No worries. Sounds good to me. When you do get around to doing them though, any possibility of implementing functionality for Nertea's decaying RTGs patch?

18 hours ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

Speaking of boat tail variants... I made a few variants for the earlier thor/delta boattail. This is the type that was used on the earliest Thor/Delta rockets and on certain Delta II rockets up until the early 1990's where they changed to the "Delta" type engine fairing. This is in the same style that I made the cream boat tail, which (if I am correct) is how they were painted IRL.

D5kpepm.png

Because the verniers were on the same texture sheet, I thought that they may as well not go to waste, so I also made color variants for the verniers. Technically, only white verniers were used on this earlier type of boat tail, regardless if the boat tail was painted blue or tan. It was only on the later Delta II fairing were they painted blue, and with these variants you should be able to create the Delta II engine fairing correctly with the blue variant. These changes will soon be up on Github.

Also @sslaptnhablhat, Cobalt said that he was going to work on texture switches for the Delta II boat tail, but for now you should be able to create the green Delta III with the old boattail as soon as this goes up on github.

34 minutes ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

No worries. Sounds good to me. When you do get around to doing them though, any possibility of implementing functionality for Nertea's decaying RTGs patch?

Of course!

I don't know if this violates any city ordinances or what but I present to you my 2-person Apollo-type monstrosity (Gemipollo?) which performed super great despite some stupid design flaws on my part. In spoiler just for the sake of room...

Spoiler

tfP2psa.jpg

Self-imposed restriction: no crewed launches without a crew elevator.

Z1R74A0.jpg

It goes up.

hi2rAM1.jpg

First set of boosters separate.

de5ls6M.jpg

Xdi6W2B.jpg

vqbwZXF.jpg

BMOp99P.jpg

btw this is the dev branch but some older parts, jnsq, 1.8.1, tufx

Couple of new paint schemes for the Titan III! Here is the schemes for the Titan IIID and IIIE respectively:
9wtJAPD.pngiC7KP21.png

PrW4cyg.png0DZiW9W.png

The Titan IIID is based on the Titan 23D that launched Kennen 1-5, and the IIIE is based on the Titan 23E-Centaur that launched Viking 2. As seen above, to get the proper color schemes, use the IIID lower tank and the IIIC upper tank for the IIID first stage, and use the IIIB lower tank and IIIE upper tank for the IIIE upper stage.

Hello! Could anyone help me with this problem? Whenever I load ksp, i keep getting this warning (multiple times for different parts): Warning on PartSubtype Alumina on module ModuleB9PartSwitch (moduleID='InputSwitch') on part bluedog.Peacekeeper.Castor120: More than one module can't manage data on module bluedog.Peacekeeper.Castor120 (ModuleResourceConverter)