[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

Why Centaur T and G tanks boil off ridiculously quick? I time warped just for one hour on orbit and all LH2 was gone . I check ther boil off rate it said somethinglike 150%, is this normal? None of other BDB cryo tank boil off this fast. I'm not sure that boil off is handled by BDB itself or JNSQ but I'm sure it is not cryotank's system.

Edited by derega16

1 minute ago, derega16 said:

Why Centaur T and G tanks boil off ridiculously quick? I time warped just for one hour on orbit and all LH2 was gone . I check ther boil off rate it said somethinglike 150%, is this normal? None of other BDB cryo tank boil off this fast.

Those parts are getting revamped soon , I'm willing to bet this issue (whether or not it is intentional) will be rectified in due time .

1 hour ago, derega16 said:

Why Centaur T and G tanks boil off ridiculously quick? I time warped just for one hour on orbit and all LH2 was gone . I check ther boil off rate it said somethinglike 150%, is this normal? None of other BDB cryo tank boil off this fast. I'm not sure that boil off is handled by BDB itself or JNSQ but I'm sure it is not cryotank's system.

If you use dev version, there is a new boiloff mechanism introduced some weeks ago, based on current sunlight and part size and reflectiveness. It is not balanced yet, so it will feel too harsh on default settings (I believe Jso said that in commit notes on github). For now, if you want something more manageable, set boiloff to 10-20% in difficulty settings, and try not to coast too much in sunlight (and try to launch LH2 stages at night, it really helps). Or just keep fairings until burn.

1 hour ago, biohazard15 said:

If you use dev version, there is a new boiloff mechanism introduced some weeks ago, based on current sunlight and part size and reflectiveness. It is not balanced yet, so it will feel too harsh on default settings (I believe Jso said that in commit notes on github). For now, if you want something more manageable, set boiloff to 10-20% in difficulty settings, and try not to coast too much in sunlight (and try to launch LH2 stages at night, it really helps). Or just keep fairings until burn.

The problem is I tried to launch a probe to Eve and the node is on the middle of the day side

Edited by derega16

Boiloff will be 12x slower next time I do an update. I'm targeting about 5.5% per 12 hour day for Centaur V, but conditions vary, so that's just a ballpark number. I've also got a new thermal simulation using the part's temperature rather than approximating based on incoming radiation that's about 99% done.

5 hours ago, derega16 said:

The problem is I tried to launch a probe to Eve and the node is on the middle of the day side

I assume you launch a Titan IV? Then as I said, just keep fairings until burn, and stage them right before burn start. Boiloff is disabled when engines are running, and when the tanks are shielded by fairings (for now, at least - not sure if it will be the case after aforementioned update)

Something I've been working on for the last several weeks. The Orbiting Astronomical Observatory. These parts will allow you to build OAO-1 and 2 (instrumentation is slightly amalgamated between them). OAO-1 was of course the payload for the unique Atlas SLV-3B and the rest were centaur payloads (OAO was originally planned for Vega as an aside...)

The OAO project was key in developing the technologies that led to Hubble and was the first large orbital *observatory*. It was the brainchild of the late Nancy Grace Roman, NASA's chief astronomer in the 60s and 70s though better known as the mother of Hubble and who just had the WFIRST telescope named after her a few days ago.

screen_2560x1920_2020-05-30_19-11-24.png

screenshot1080.png

screenshot1068.png

screenshot1071.png

screenshot1073.png

The star trackers (the little protrusions you see on the ends) were considerably more advanced than prior attempts and getting them right was the cause of some delays too. In game they provide full SAS modes to any craft using them.

screenshot1075.png

screenshot1077.png

screenshot1074.png

8 hours ago, Zorg said:

Something I've been working on for the last several weeks. The Orbiting Astronomical Observatory. These parts will allow you to build OAO-1 and 2 (instrumentation is slightly amalgamated between them). OAO-1 was of course the payload for the unique Atlas SLV-3B and the rest were centaur payloads (OAO was originally planned for Vega as an aside...)

The OAO project was key in developing the technologies that led to Hubble and was the first large orbital *observatory*. It was the brainchild of the late Nancy Grace Roman, NASA's chief astronomer in the 60s and 70s though better known as the mother of Hubble and who just had the WFIRST telescope named after her a few days ago.

screen_2560x1920_2020-05-30_19-11-24.png

screenshot1080.png

screenshot1068.png

screenshot1071.png

screenshot1073.png

The star trackers (the little protrusions you see on the ends) were considerably more advanced than prior attempts and getting them right was the cause of some delays too. In game they provide full SAS modes to any craft using them.

screenshot1075.png

screenshot1077.png

screenshot1074.png

Is it the same footprint as OKTO?

Just a heads up, but I'm planning on trying to do a dev stream over on Twitch around 1 PM Eastern time today. Been too long since I did one :)

Oops, edit:

3 hours ago, Random Annoying Guy said:

I mean the texture

Anything in particular sticking out? I was struggling with it for a bit and decided to just get it in game. There isn't really any reference for Big G since they never built a mockup with an accurate exterior.

Edited by CobaltWolf

3 hours ago, biohazard15 said:

OAO is absolutely gorgeous!

Somewhat heavy for SLV-3B, though. Spacelaunchreport gives 1770 kg for OAO-1; compare that with 2 tons for BDB OAO. This leaves Atlas quite underpowered after BECO.

Thanks! I'll take a second look at the spacecraft mass. Right now its closer to AOA-2 (which is what the BDB one is mostly based on) . I did manage to get it into orbit with SLV3B in my flight test but my staging on the booster was close to ideal that time. I'll consider tuning it after a couple of more launches. Not 100% sure i set the engine configs back since I was in sandbox so perhaps it overperformed.

15 hours ago, derega16 said:

Is it the same footprint as OKTO?

The ring at the top of the spacecraft adapter is 1.25m. The corner to corner diameter is therefore slightly larger.

15 hours ago, Thave said:

Excuse me How can I remove the thrust attenuation of the solid booster.

You can do it through a MM patch. I *think* the below will work but I haven't tested it

EDIT: updated

@PART[bluedog*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleEngines*]:HAS[@thrustCurve]]:FINAL
{
  @MODULE[ModuleEngines*]:HAS[@thrustCurve]
  {
    %useThrustCurve = false
    !thrustCurve {}
  }
}

Edited by Zorg

1 minute ago, birdog357 said:

@CobaltWolf Dmagic literally just dropped a huge overhaul to Scansat. Is that going to break BDB integration?

existing configs in BDB v1.6 release should be ok I think. BDB dev has already adapted since the Scansat beta was released a while ago, the Keyhole sats all use the new visual scan etc...

Just now, Zorg said:

existing configs in BDB v1.6 release should be ok I think. BDB dev has already adapted since the Scansat beta was released a while ago, the Keyhole sats all use the new visual scan etc...

Sweet. I'm running dev anyway.