[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

Okay, I think I'm missing something.  I have now moved into the Thor-Delta and I can't figure out how I'm supposed to do the staging without kludging.  According to several sources, the main change between the Thor-Able and Thor-Delta was the new engine version and a new cold gas system that allowed for inflight restarts.  However, none of the Able or Delta tanks appear to have ullage thrusters.  Am I missing something or was that not present and I just need to add RCS ullage thrusters externally?

On 10/26/2020 at 4:11 PM, Zorg said:

screen_5120x2880_2020-10-26_01-38-18.png

screen_5120x2880_2020-10-26_01-36-42.png

screen_2560x1920_2020-10-27_01-58-01.png

Coming *very* soon

Let me go to the sidewalk in front my house for picking up my jaw, that fell off from a second floor due these beauty...

On 10/26/2020 at 8:27 AM, CobaltWolf said:

@flamerboy67664worth noting that Astronautix, and the SLS page in particular, aren't exactly... the most impartial of sources, let's say? :) The X-20 page is also fairly bad if I remember.

Also just wanted to respond to this sentiment in particular - I'm *really* not good at making up stuff. As decent as I am on the execution, I really rely on reference for inspiration. So the less there is about something, the more difficulty I'll have doing it.

Wait really? I know I yellow clock for... most launches actually, but I don't think I've experienced FPS that low in a long time. And the Apollo/Saturn stack isn't even that part intensive?

We have Pioneer Venus like... half done? I was working on it last winter and kinda... lost all motivation for it. I don't know if I can get it back tbh. If I remember I just got frustrated with how janky they felt, lot of single use stuff with weird modeling issues and stuff. Now that we have @Invaderchaos confidently doing foil at least that's one less issue to worry about. Idk.

uXVDHC2.png
fNfZAIy.png
P13kDpf.png
yaIvWcu.png

For me; they look very well for the stage they are. Hope you can complete this pack. I have 3 Irazús (Atlas 2A Equivalents) and two Arenals (Titan 34 with liquid--fuel auxiliary boosters) on an armada for Eve, Moho, Duna and Jool and these parts will be an excelent mix for the invasion.

5 hours ago, CAPFlyer said:

Okay, I think I'm missing something.  I have now moved into the Thor-Delta and I can't figure out how I'm supposed to do the staging without kludging.  According to several sources, the main change between the Thor-Able and Thor-Delta was the new engine version and a new cold gas system that allowed for inflight restarts.  However, none of the Able or Delta tanks appear to have ullage thrusters.  Am I missing something or was that not present and I just need to add RCS ullage thrusters externally?

Can you provide these sources? I remember we looked at this and the language we found was confusing.

I cant recall which documents @CobaltWolf looked at exactly but the phrasing was somewhat ambiguous. There were statements that Delta received a cold gas system which allowed the stage to coast and reorient for more precise firing of the Altair. The confusing part came from the fact that Able already had an attitude control RCS so perhaps its referring to a new system. In any case we didnt see any reference to ullage thrusters on Delta, just attitude control and coasting to Altair burn. On Able the altair would be fired immediately after the 2nd stage burn out.

Apollo-MOL. I didn't want to use tweakscale so i had to improvise with other mods to make it fit. However, here is the 11/2 stereo Apollo MOL recon station with additional modules for habitation, ELINT and REDACTED .

The Apollo CSM uses the same Apollo Blk.IV CM as is already in use, but the SM is custom. Designed for two weeks independent flight after separation from the station, the SM does not have propulsion apart from a bank of 8 solid retro rockets

lIJqvWd.png

7dvAhgX.png

2nmz6xh.png

Edited by Cdodders

1 hour ago, Pioneer_Steve said:

alot of potential for probe kitbashing.

Yeah Im hopeful people will find these parts useful for other stuff :). Im proud of the work I did for OAO but that is a weird set of parts overall, a lot of it is tricky to incorporate into other builds. I think the Mariner set is much more flexible.

25 minutes ago, Gojira said:

It might just be me, but I can see a lot of kitbashing uses for the instrumentation on Pioneer-Venus, too.

I just can imagine a Jool-Sarnus-Neidon-Comet (or another celestial body) analogous to an Orbiter Spaceflight Simulator mod that contained a Jupiter-Saturn-Neptune-Eris probe (concept on video below). And the other instruments can go to many armadas... 

Other thing is lacking this mod is... The legendary spinner satellites! (From IntelSat 4 to 6, passing to SDS, and the prolific HS-376). I'd use the buses for that. Fortunately the robotic parts exist and can be used for pointing the antennas to Kerbin. ;)

Edited by Yuriy Istochnikov
Adding "Eris Explorer" as potential use of Pioneer-Venus Multiprobe

1 hour ago, Yuriy Istochnikov said:

I just can imagine a Jool-Sarnus-Neidon-Comet (or another celestial body) analogous to an Orbiter Spaceflight Simulator mod that contained a Jupiter-Saturn-Neptune-Eris probe (concept on video below). And the other instruments can go to many armadas... 

Other thing is lacking this mod is... The legendary spinner satellites! (From IntelSat 4 to 6, passing to SDS, and the prolific HS-376). I'd use the buses for that. Fortunately the robotic parts exist and can be used for pointing the antennas to Kerbin. ;)

I used to play Orbiter before buying KSP, I never knew how to go to the Moon.

23 hours ago, Zorg said:

screenshot52.png?width=1469&height=826

Mariner 10 early alpha is on the Github master branch now. Get it while its hot.

Lots of things are subject to change though, realnames, balance costs etc.

Features several science experiments, tracking relay dish antenna (always points to homeworld), deployable sunshield, custom decoupler, troggleable covers for engine and camera and a standalone version of the camera which essentially replaces the old BDB high tech generic camera.

screenshot48.png?width=1469&height=826

screenshot50.png?width=1469&height=826

screenshot53.png?width=1469&height=826

screenshot56.png?width=1469&height=826

screen_5120x2880_2020-10-28_01-34-16.png?width=1469&height=826

screen_5120x2880_2020-10-28_01-36-24.png

screen_5120x2880_2020-10-28_01-14-45.png?width=1469&height=826

screen_5120x2880_2020-10-28_01-16-44.png?width=1469&height=826

screen_5120x2880_2020-10-28_01-13-34.png?width=1469&height=826

Woah! Cool!

Delta IV composite fairing in both sizes now on the Github master. These are fixed length and not adjustable but thats just like real life where the Titan IV derived metal one was the adjustable one. Thats not the reason why though, its for texture space reasons. I reckon its fine because you have the Titan IV as a flexible option.

Also Vanguard 1 will no longer clip its fairing, the base has been lengthened ever so slightly.

screen_5120x2880_2020-10-29_17-29-09.png?width=1534&height=863

screenshot60.png?width=1534&height=863

screenshot61.png?width=1534&height=863

screenshot64.png?width=1534&height=863

Edited by Zorg

On 10/28/2020 at 1:06 AM, Zorg said:

Can you provide these sources? I remember we looked at this and the language we found was confusing.

I cant recall which documents @CobaltWolf looked at exactly but the phrasing was somewhat ambiguous. There were statements that Delta received a cold gas system which allowed the stage to coast and reorient for more precise firing of the Altair. The confusing part came from the fact that Able already had an attitude control RCS so perhaps its referring to a new system. In any case we didnt see any reference to ullage thrusters on Delta, just attitude control and coasting to Altair burn. On Able the altair would be fired immediately after the 2nd stage burn out.

I read the same thing as well.  I did finally find (on like page 3 or 4 of the returns) an article that more specifically said what you did - that the change was a "new" cold-gas thruster system that allowed re-orientation for the Altair 3rd stage.  I wonder if the original RCS system on the Able was a "hot gas" system that used fuel from the main tanks?  I can't find any verification of how the thrusters worked on the Able.

I guess I'm back to hot staging and hoping I get the required performance.  Getting some of these missions is becoming very tricky without being able to coast or relight the second stage.

13 minutes ago, CAPFlyer said:

I read the same thing as well.  I did finally find (on like page 3 or 4 of the returns) an article that more specifically said what you did - that the change was a "new" cold-gas thruster system that allowed re-orientation for the Altair 3rd stage.  I wonder if the original RCS system on the Able was a "hot gas" system that used fuel from the main tanks?  I can't find any verification of how the thrusters worked on the Able.

I guess I'm back to hot staging and hoping I get the required performance.  Getting some of these missions is becoming very tricky without being able to coast or relight the second stage.

From what I remember, it seemed like a strange, erroneous statement whenever I came across it.

Able, or at least Vanguard-Able, used (I believe) helium for the pitch and yaw, with a separate propane (why?) system for roll. My guess would be the "new" system wasn't really that different from the POV of the actual thrusters - the change was either in better control from the avionics or something to do with exactly where the RCS propellant came from.

ROPiIQn.png

SDLV stuff in your BDB? More likely than you think :P

Mesh switch for the DCSS to the Interim Cryogenic Propulsion Stage from SLS. Slightly longer hydrogen tank and 6.5% more propellant. I guess the mixture ratio is different would need to check but that would explain why only the hydrogen tank got a stretch.

screen_5120x2880_2020-10-29_20-05-52.png?width=1322&height=743

Spoiler

For real though dont expect an SLS, did this for just for the extra performance.

i recently instaled the mod and its an absolute joy to play with 

but beacause its too big i have deleted the folders that contained the rockets i didnt need

but now module manager shows an error at startup and  some parts in the vab show as deprecated with broken textures

did i delete something i shouldnt or is it something else?

thanks for the help in advance

pictures of error: https://imgur.com/a/qNsyLDW

29 minutes ago, noobkerblkat said:

but beacause its too big i have deleted the folders that contained the rockets i didnt need

but now module manager shows an error at startup and  some parts in the vab show as deprecated with broken textures

Ah. Those are depreciated parts that will be removed in a later update.  May I ask which folders you deleted?

45 minutes ago, noobkerblkat said:

The deprecated parts are things that are meant to be removed, They shouldnt show in the VAB but some mods like filter extensions (i think) unhide them. Please dont use them, they will be permanently deleted in an update before long.

Most of those errors at startup is not because you deleted something. its a known issue with certain older versions of Kopernicus (we already fixed it for the more recent ones and for the experimental builds) and with Kerbalism. We are working to resolve this.

Some solar panels are supposed to get different output for sub variants. The errors mean those variants are not getting the switch but they will still get the default output value. So despite the error, those parts are still functional as far as we can see.

I'm not sure about the very last error in that list. That could be caused by something being deleted. If you tell me which folder you deleted I can see if there could be a problem caused.