[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

2 hours ago, Beccab said:

Inspired by @Pappystein 's ISS, I've tried recreating  Boeing's Space Operations Center proposal from 1981 and supposed to become operational in the 90s.

Reveal hidden contents

soc_81nw.jpg

I wont spam the whole thread with a thousand pics, but I've posted the whole mission here

I have to say, an impressive series of launches... and your station has reached completion :D

3 hours ago, lemon cup said:

Hey everyone, we’ve been real busy over in the Shuttle Missions thread. Only posting a few shots from my latest one here, since it features everyone’s favorite BDB upper stage - the Centaur G Prime. 

FULL MISSION

m7w3sZD.jpeg
0snEXdo.png

What extra capability did Centaur-G provide for Ulysses over the IUS again? I know Galileo would have been able to take a more direct trajectory to Jupiter with Centaur rather than the Venus-Earth-Earth flyby sequence it needed in real life, but even on IUS Ulysses didn’t need anything like that.

1 minute ago, pTrevTrevs said:

What extra capability did Centaur-G provide for Ulysses over the IUS again? I know Galileo would have been able to take a more direct trajectory to Jupiter with Centaur rather than the Venus-Earth-Earth flyby sequence it needed in real life, but even on IUS Ulysses didn’t need anything like that.

If I remember, it meant you didn't need to go to the outer planets and back.

56 minutes ago, SpaceFace545 said:

How shiny?

TexturesUnlimited and MagpieMods :kiss:

23 minutes ago, pTrevTrevs said:

What extra capability did Centaur-G provide for Ulysses over the IUS again?

21 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Great question, and not quite!

In the early 80s NASA was looking to adopt a single upper stage to marry with the Shuttle that could conceivably cover all DOD and planetary probe missions. Out of 4 options available (the IUS, Centaur G, Transtage, and the unbuilt IOTV) the Centaur G was selected. The 1/2 ton Ulysses would have been the vehicle's check-out flight so to speak - data acquired from this flight could be used to more accurately define the margins available for the 2.5 ton Galileo that would fly next.

The Jupiter flyby was planned for Ulysses from the beginning though. Centaur G Prime could get it there easily. To get it there with the IUS, a specially designed PAM-S (a modified Star-63) had to be fitted for an extra boost.

This excellent unabridged publication, Taming Liquid Hydrogen: The Centaur 1958-2002, goes into great detail about Shuttle Centaur starting on PDF page 184.

Edited by lemon cup

31 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

It takes a lot of energy to get out of the ecliptic. Even a proposed lightweight probe launched on the Saturn V with a Centaur-D would have only been able to get about 45 degrees out of the ecliptic. Jupiter flybys or extremely efficient engines like ion engines or even solar sails are a must.

Hi! Made an account to post this, I don't actually use this mod for the full rockets, but for the probes and crew modules. I was messing about with the 'Dona' Miniature lander can and noticed a bug regarding the IVA. If you EVA and re-enter the can, the IVA switches backwards. Quicksaving fixes it though.

Love the mod, not sure if this is the best place to make this issue known. :)

9 hours ago, lemon cup said:

Hey everyone, we’ve been real busy over in the Shuttle Missions thread. Only posting a few shots from my latest one here, since it features everyone’s favorite BDB upper stage - the Centaur G Prime. 

Where'd you get the ASE base for Centaur? I can't find anything like that in SOCK.

Screenshot Tax:

9Ut9Pzd.png

Apollo 15 heads skyward on the start of its journey to Hadley

j9KMeGw.png

You know, I don't really understand all the clamor for Cobalt to add the LRV; it's not that hard to kitbash your own, fellas.

v6jichR.png

The descent into the lunar mountain ranges of JNSQ was a pretty tricky one, but the science and the views were definitely worth it. Here Svetlana and Bobnard stop at one of the stations on EVA 2, some 3,300 meters above the nearby lunar *maria*.

JKzWkgC.png

Fun fact: Apollo 15 is the only lunar landing mission in which the American flag was not raised during the first EVA. I don't know why they chose to do it at the end of EVA 2, but if I had to guess the decision was influenced by the busy and tiring work schedule of the surface exploration period.

By the way, has anyone managed to perform an Apollo landing in the lunar polar regions in JNSQ? I'd like to have one of my last lunar flights in this career save target the south pole, but I'm skeptical that Apollo even has the power to do that without trying something incredibly dangerous and unrealistic.

3 hours ago, biohazard15 said:

Where'd you get the ASE base for Centaur? I can't find anything like that in SOCK.

I explain briefly in the above post inside the Shuttle Adventures thread, but I just made them using various mod parts. 

As I recall I think benjee10 and the BDB team never could decide who should be responsible for making Centaur and IUS shuttle adapters, so we re-enactors have had to take matters into our own hands!

3 hours ago, pTrevTrevs said:

Screenshot Tax:

9Ut9Pzd.png

j9KMeGw.png

You know, I don't really understand all the clamor for Cobalt to add the LRV; it's not that hard to kitbash your own, fellas.

v6jichR.png

The descent into the lunar mountain ranges of JNSQ was a pretty tricky one, but the science and the views were definitely worth it. Here Svetlana and Bobnard stop at one of the stations on EVA 2, some 3,300 meters above the nearby lunar *maria*.

JKzWkgC.png

Fun fact: Apollo 15 is the only lunar landing mission in which the American flag was not raised during the first EVA. I don't know why they chose to do it at the end of EVA 2, but if I had to guess the decision was influenced by the busy and tiring work schedule of the surface exploration period.

By the way, has anyone managed to perform an Apollo landing in the lunar polar regions in JNSQ? I'd like to have one of my last lunar flights in this career save target the south pole, but I'm skeptical that Apollo even has the power to do that without trying something incredibly dangerous and unrealistic.

I had to strap on a couple of extra tanks to the lander to achieve this.  Incidentally, what texture mod does the shiny helmet visors? 

12 minutes ago, Friznit said:

I had to strap on a couple of extra tanks to the lander to achieve this.  Incidentally, what texture mod does the shiny helmet visors? 

It’s in the base game; 1.11 added the gold visors along with the orbital construction features. Usually they slide down when a Kerbal attaches a part with their welding torch, but you can also toggle them up or down.

I’m surprised you had to add extra fuel to the LEM for it to carry a rover; even in JNSQ’s upscaled environment, with the rover, a cargo box for extra ALSEP components, and additional oxygen and water storage to allow a three-day surface stay, I still have a couple hundred m/s of DeltaV left at touchdown and the DPS can hover at like 20% throttle.

Edited by pTrevTrevs

17 minutes ago, pTrevTrevs said:

It’s in the base game; 1.11 added the gold visors along with the orbital construction features. Usually they slide down when a Kerbal attaches a part with their welding torch, but you can also toggle them up or down.

I’m surprised you had to add extra fuel to the LEM for it to carry a rover; even in JNSQ’s upscaled environment, with the rover, a cargo box for extra ALSEP components, and additional oxygen and water storage to allow a three-day surface stay, I still have a couple hundred m/s of DeltaV left at touchdown and the DPS can hover at like 20% throttle.

The more you know....  :blush:

I used strap on tanks for a JNSQ munar polar mission. Just needed a little extra margin for the lander but otherwise very achievable.

6 hours ago, pTrevTrevs said:

Screenshot Tax:

9Ut9Pzd.png

What mod are you using for the Lunar rover 

I'm starting a new save after not playing KSP for a while. What's the recommended boiloff rate for LH2 tanks right now (dev branch, 1.11.2, JNSQ)? I know that when I was last playing with it, 20% was recommended due to some issues with the boiloff system.

Thanks

5 hours ago, northern said:

What mod are you using for the Lunar rover 

4 hours ago, Starhelperdude said:

seems to be kitbashed out of stock and BDB parts

That’s right; I kitbashed it out of various parts. The main chassis and wheels are from Making History, the antennas are from Near Future, the batteries, TV camera, and control console are from BDB (chalk up one more unique use of the Mariner 10 parts), and the hinges that allow the rover to unfold are from Breaking Ground.

1 hour ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

wait ... where was this rover 10 seconds before this shot was taken?

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

Stored

Yep, the rover was folded up and stored in the left-front quadrant of the LM descent stage. In real life the J-class LMs had that quadrant opened up so the rover could fit inside, but the BDB LM doesn’t have that option right now, so I had to clip the whole thing into the descent stage. I placed an extra cargo box opposite the rover on the right-rear quadrant and moved the ALSEP pieces there to balance the extra weight of the rover.

Once on the surface the LRV deploys just like real life; it’s mounted on the gold-foiled panel which folds out from the LM, then the rear section unfolds and the wheels extend. The front section then unfolds as far as it can go without clipping back into the LM; it was at this point that the above picture was taken. After that  the mission commander climbs into the driver’s seat, reverses out with the rear wheels, and fully unfolds the front section. It’s a pretty easy process, actually.

54 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

Flying through the Air :D

You are technically correct.

23 minutes ago, pTrevTrevs said:

chalk up one more unique use of the Mariner 10 parts

Yeah lmao they are very useful! I used them and the science parts to create my LRV

u3ljegY.png5E0z408.pngUnfortunately, it can’t fold - Many of you may be triggered by this, so look away...

WBEAGGn.pngLol, it’s launched on a Saturn 1B, carrying a short centaur, the capture stage, the descent stage and the terminal descent stage (The Ranger landing engines on the ranger probe core). This picture shows the Descent stage

After landing, it waits on the moon until the crew land nearby and collect it. Luckily my LSAM can carry 1 to 4 of these bad boys to the surface at once :D.

2 hours ago, Machinique said:

I'm starting a new save after not playing KSP for a while. What's the recommended boiloff rate for LH2 tanks right now (dev branch, 1.11.2, JNSQ)? I know that when I was last playing with it, 20% was recommended due to some issues with the boiloff system.

Back then boiloff was intentionally set high for testing purposes. You should be OK with default rate. Note though that some early tanks (notably Centaur D) have almost no insulation and thus cannot coast for long periods.