[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

On 7/6/2021 at 3:11 PM, Invaderchaos said:

I just realized I haven't given many updates on Pioneer in a while. It is 98% done being modelled. Unwrapping will be next, and then I will begin texturing. Here are some pics:

gRtT6KX.png

3cGrGR1.png

IoMMssz.png

EOBGRwM.png

And here's a pic of the pioneer 10/11 orbiter proposal parts that will  be included:

Q9h2pde.png

Very nice!!!

Also i'm waiting for Pioneer Venus... Any plans for complexion? I hope use the entry probes for a very nice "Grand Tour"

On 7/7/2021 at 12:11 AM, Invaderchaos said:

I just realized I haven't given many updates on Pioneer in a while. It is 98% done being modelled. Unwrapping will be next, and then I will begin texturing. Here are some pics:

gRtT6KX.png

3cGrGR1.png

IoMMssz.png

EOBGRwM.png

And here's a pic of the pioneer 10/11 orbiter proposal parts that will  be included:

Q9h2pde.png

And how to use it without using gravity assist? It's the same with the completely useless Mariner 10.
I have not seen a single adequate mod capable of calculating gravity assist, and the few that exist are mostly outdated or abandoned by 2021. Voyager's situation is even worse - since the window for launching such a device occurs once every 176 years ...

1 hour ago, Brainpop14 said:

How is this with 1.12?

This works great for me in 1.12.1

Spoiler

screenshot26.png

28 minutes ago, Perantor said:

And how to use it without using gravity assist? It's the same with the completely useless Mariner 10.
I have not seen a single adequate mod capable of calculating gravity assist, and the few that exist are mostly outdated or abandoned by 2021. Voyager's situation is even worse - since the window for launching such a device occurs once every 176 years ...

This works great for me in 1.12.1

Hide contents

screenshot26.png

Fortunately we're playing a computer game so we don't have to wait that long, and can send the probes to different places with different rockets, so they're not useless by any means

1 hour ago, Friznit said:

Fortunately we're playing a computer game so we don't have to wait that long, and can send the probes to different places with different rockets, so they're not useless by any means

In a way, you are right, I think that Neidon (analogue of Neptune in OPM) can be reached by strengthening the centaur stage with an additional stage (fortunately, Titan IIIE in BDB is very powerful).

7 hours ago, Perantor said:

I have not seen a single adequate mod capable of calculating gravity assist,

Allow me to introduce you to the wonderful KSP Trajectory Optimization Tool. Not only is it capable of calculating multiple flybys (in literally any planet pack, as it can import whatever planets you have loaded) but you can do entire mission planning/optimization and launch vehicle design/optimization. It can work with N-body gravity as well, if you use Principia. Huge shoutout to @Arrowstar for this amazing tool. 

21 hours ago, Friznit said:

If only there was a handy guide how to build all the rockets somewhere... :sticktongue:

That is just Lazy Talk!   You HAVE to make it like they did in the oldendays.  GUESSWORK :D  :P:D:P  

And yes, your Wiki is awesome.  

And yes, I can get too lazy to look at it sometimes...  

And yes I have been using it for my "Full Proposed" ISS.   

:D

Oh And yes,   Suggestion coming in on your wiki before you probably read this! :D

I just started a 1.11.2 game and pulled up Mercury for the first time. The periscope is open as soon as you select the spacecraft. and there doesn't seem to be a way to close it. Worked fine in 1.10. Also, the first Lights On button doesn't seem to do anything. There was only one Lights On button in 1.10. I have also installed Comfortable Landing. Could that be causing this?

TGXpvQU.jpg

1 hour ago, DaveyJ576 said:

I just started a 1.11.2 game and pulled up Mercury for the first time. The periscope is open as soon as you select the spacecraft. and there doesn't seem to be a way to close it. Worked fine in 1.10. Also, the first Lights On button doesn't seem to do anything. There was only one Lights On button in 1.10. I have also installed Comfortable Landing. Could that be causing this?

TGXpvQU.jpg

Yep, it’s comfortable landing. It appears to be broken in 1.11.2 for me aswell.

Edited by alberro+

Apollo-Soyuz Test Project

Apollo-Soyuz Test Project, or Soyuz-Apollo as it is known in USSR\Russia, was the first ever manned international space mission. Some may even call it the first international space station. It marked the official end of "Space Race" between USA and USSR.

It consisted of two spaceflights: Soyuz 19 (USSR) and un-numbered Apollo, a leftover from Moon and Skylab flights (USA).

Soyuz 19, by Tantares:

d5pTpVw.png

Liftoff from Baikonur.

Vp2gJDK.jpg

UE3CAhe.jpg

Korolev's Cross (sort of)

wdKKNSd.png

JS6rc92.png

LoDWcft.png

Apollo:

wRGs1Db.png

A ton of lasts in this picture. Last Apollo flight, last Saturn IB flight, last use of Saturn tower, last use of milkstool adapter...

92E19jh.png

Note that this is made using the latest KSRSS version, with updated Earth normal maps and Scatterer configs. Definitely looks nicer than the previous ones.

L2eLtmb.png

zfSXNoo.png

Jettisoning the Cluster's Last Stand and LES tower.

1Ft9oAn.png

NwYf70m.png

yDhSfcX.png

Yeah, it's slow.

hVygrN3.png

Releasing Apollo. Classic petal adapter instead of actual panels - I use Saturn rescale patch, and unfortunately jettisonable panels were never made compatible with it.

tlzteCA.png

zxtPzwn.png

Apollo retrieves the Docking Adapter - just a quick jury-rig from various parts.

09rcjWZ.png

Some maneuvers later, two ships meet each other at dawn.

x59TgAL.png

Apollo moves in to dock.

zUjMZI6.png

Commence the handshakes.

2 hours ago, biohazard15 said:

Apollo-Soyuz Test Project

Hide contents

Apollo-Soyuz Test Project, or Soyuz-Apollo as it is known in USSR\Russia, was the first ever manned international space mission. Some may even call it the first international space station. It marked the official end of "Space Race" between USA and USSR.

It consisted of two spaceflights: Soyuz 19 (USSR) and un-numbered Apollo, a leftover from Moon and Skylab flights (USA).

Soyuz 19, by Tantares:

d5pTpVw.png

Liftoff from Baikonur.

Vp2gJDK.jpg

UE3CAhe.jpg

Korolev's Cross (sort of)

wdKKNSd.png

JS6rc92.png

LoDWcft.png

Apollo:

wRGs1Db.png

A ton of lasts in this picture. Last Apollo flight, last Saturn IB flight, last use of Saturn tower, last use of milkstool adapter...

92E19jh.png

Note that this is made using the latest KSRSS version, with updated Earth normal maps and Scatterer configs. Definitely looks nicer than the previous ones.

L2eLtmb.png

zfSXNoo.png

Jettisoning the Cluster's Last Stand and LES tower.

1Ft9oAn.png

NwYf70m.png

yDhSfcX.png

Yeah, it's slow.

hVygrN3.png

Releasing Apollo. Classic petal adapter instead of actual panels - I use Saturn rescale patch, and unfortunately jettisonable panels were never made compatible with it.

tlzteCA.png

zxtPzwn.png

Apollo retrieves the Docking Adapter - just a quick jury-rig from various parts.

09rcjWZ.png

Some maneuvers later, two ships meet each other at dawn.

x59TgAL.png

Apollo moves in to dock.

zUjMZI6.png

Commence the handshakes.

Awesome mission re-creation!  Fun piece of trivia:  the Saturn Mobile Launch Platform (MLP)  towers actually did see use after this mission.  The towers of the MLPs were converted into the fixed service structure (FSS) at Pads 39A and 39B for the Space Shuttle.

Edited by TheShadow1138

On 7/9/2021 at 9:22 AM, Razgriz1 said:

Allow me to introduce you to the wonderful KSP Trajectory Optimization Tool. Not only is it capable of calculating multiple flybys (in literally any planet pack, as it can import whatever planets you have loaded) but you can do entire mission planning/optimization and launch vehicle design/optimization. It can work with N-body gravity as well, if you use Principia. Huge shoutout to @Arrowstar for this amazing tool. 

Thanks for the shout out!  Yes, KSPTOT can do all sorts of fun stuff, including what @Razgriz1 mentioned and more.  Anyone interested should come visit us on the KSPTOT forum thread for more information and to get help in learning the software. :)

UPDATE

Bluedog Design Bureau v1.8.1 "Мороз"

v1.8.1 "Мороз"

Updates and Enhancements
- Update bundled Waterfall to 0.6.6
- Update BDB versioning for KSP 1.12.x

Bug fixes
- Correct 2.5m Gemini heatshield stats.
- Fix splashdown orientation for Gemini capsule.
- Fix disconnected coolant pipe for nozzle extension on large bell variant of XLR129.
- Fix Gemini lander IVA rotation
- Various typos in configs

DOWNLOAD [GitHub]

DOWNLOAD [SpaceDock]

Viking 1 (Titan IIIE, CCAFS)

Viking 1 and 2 were two identical Mars probes launched in 1975 from Cape Canaveral, using Titan IIIE. Each consisted of lander and orbiter. Viking 1 landed on Mars on 20 July 1976, and became the first Mars lander to complete its scientific mission (earlier Soviet Mars 3 lander failed several seconds after landing).

aiwjSBX.png

b1Wh7WG.png

oTMo26C.png

jHEiwll.png

Jettisoning spent SRBs.

kwtfc2V.png

ygpR0D0.png

Jettisonign fairings.

1eghFEE.png

Jettisoning 1st core stage.

8BPCAeb.png

Jettisoning 2nd core stage after achieving orbit. (Titan III is quite OP by KSRSS 2.5x standards - although this can be turned to your advantage in GSO missions: you can dogleg during ascent to achieve a LEO with lower inclination)

7bkZvba.png

Starting Centaur burn to Mars.

LwkUY94.png

sA82oqo.png

Jettisoning spent Centaur.

B69xONk.png

Vikings sported a unique feature: the lander with its aeroshell was encased in so-called "bioshield" - pressurized shell which, after assembly, was heated to 111 degrees Celsius and "baked" for 40 hours. This supposed to kill any Earth bacteria inside.

It was jettisoned shortly after Centaur burn - which is exactly what I'm doing.

aXGfPS2.png

Small correction burn. Also, one of the panels broke (thanks to DangIt mod).

n04xASd.png

Mars encounter! (And another broken panel)

9AMTx62.png

Injection burn.

sS8Kx5I.png

nuUM2QY.png

Releasing the lander aeroshell.

9byLdqF.png

The actual aeroshell featured four deorbit clusters - each comprised of three small thrusters. I use Gemini OMS engines for this. Also, Phobos.

cgY8S2d.png

Deorbit burn.

ORdo828.png

Largest pimple in the Solar System... I mean, Olympus Mons.

c5JWvSM.png

Phaeton is somewhere there, plotting against humanity (Hands up if you got that reference)

5GbAq71.png

Entering the atmosphere.

ASDOF7C.png

Deploying the chute.

RxzbQC0.jpg

Jettisoning the aeroshell (you can see the insides)

DNkBACB.png

vL35Scg.png

gMvtEHS.png

Viking 1 has landed!

Made from various BDB, Tantares and Coatl parts. Powered by a pair of SNAP-3 RTGs, tucked under Gemini horizon scanners (which are used as RTG shields). Descent engines are also Gemini OMS. Somewhat buggy, though - the lander "dances" on the surface. Not sure what's the cause of it - KSRSS bug or some collider problem.