[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

12 hours ago, Beccab said:

Pye Wacket anti-satellite manned vehicle http://www.astronautix.com/p/pyewacket.html

Pyewacket (it is a singular name that was accidentally separated to create the code name as an after effect,) was conceived at Convair Pomona (a division of Convair Missiles not represented in BDB!)  They are known for the 5T missiles.   Terrier Talos and Tarter all entered services and are sometimes called the 3T missiles.     Typhoon and Triton never entered service, with Triton being too advanced 20 years after it was conceived and replaced by SLBMs.   Typhoon being replaced by Standard and AEGIS as vacuum tube computers couldn't keep up with a saturation attack and advances in Solid rockets, in no small part due to efforts on the Titan Space launcher, Polaris and even Tiny Tim allowed for a smaller sized rocket to have the same performance.  

And yes, any of you Naval weapons geeks out there... I did lump Bendix in with Convair Pomona :D   That is because, Convair Pomona and Bendix made the missiles, All 5 of those T Series of missiles evolved out of Project Bumblebee and were designed by many of the same engineers, from one missile to the next, and Convair Pomona was a subcontractor for some of the Talos parts and Vis-a-versa

Ok Snippet in history aside,   Where did you get the parts to make that beautiful rocket?   And can I have some?   :P

ALSO isn't that supposed to be a modified Centaur,  What caused you to use LR81s (8048?) on the upper stage?

I should mention,  Pyewacket was also supposed to be the AAM for defending my Avatar.    I have never delved far into the program other than the AAM portion prior to today but it appears that all the interest in "Flying Saucers" in the 1950s corresponds with the Pye Wacket program.

Edited by Pappystein

1 hour ago, Pappystein said:

Ok Snippet in history aside,   Where did you get the parts to make that beautiful rocket?   And can I have some?   :P

ALSO isn't that supposed to be a modified Centaur,  What caused you to use LR81s (8048?) on the upper stage?

I actually had no idea what that stage was, I thought it was some titan derived upper stage at first but nothing seemed to fit (the 1.5 m upper stages were single engine and the 1.875m ones didn't work since in the drawing it's evident that the size reduces between the launcher and the pyewacket's upper stage), so I just went with a random tank and engines :D plus, it has plenty of fuel either way so it should be fine.

As for the spacecraft, it is completely custom: the outer lenticular area are 5m flat connectors from NFLV,  the central piece is a tantares heat shield, the cockpit an X-33 one clipped in; the connector is from the X-20; horizontal stabilizers from OPT; vertical stabilizers from BDB and with OPT control surfaces. The satellite interceptor is probably just as messy, but recreating that is easy with BDB and tantares.

This mess is less noticeable only thanks to conformal decals, it looks much nicer with all those colours as well as the heat shield painted black. Using the text decal making the letters as wide as possible and activating the bold the whole thing becomes black, giving you rectangles of all colours and dimensions to apply on a craft. I did this on the upper stage as well, it is a normal BDB Titan tank with the stripes and yellow sections painted on it this way

Edited by Beccab

2 hours ago, rangerrenze said:

Hello, when updated my modded KSP install to 1.12 today, it changed all the names from the IRL names to the KSP made up names. Is there a way to change these back?

Did you update BDB? Maybe you still have an older version installed.

Edited by Hay

4 hours ago, rangerrenze said:

Hello, when updated my modded KSP install to 1.12 today, it changed all the names from the IRL names to the KSP made up names. Is there a way to change these back?

If you updated BDB, did you include the BDB Extras folder for REALNAMES.  Without that folder, which is under BDB extras, you won't have real names.   You do not need ALL the extras in the extras folder (you can pick and choose which ones to install.)   I strongly suggest adding Sandstone and MLV in however :D  But that is self serving since I made both of those :D

n8rG0Ur.png

This is in my GameData folder.  Two BDB folders,   BDB and BDB_Extras

mDXGqw2.png

And here are the only sub-folders I run (I took the Titan AJ9 folder and made my own file to add some other Titan engine variants or that would be here too!)

Edited by Pappystein

Just wondering if there's any plans to compartmentalize this mod in the future? With it's sheer size it would be kind of nice to see it broken into smaller packages so you can choose which parts you want.

For now I've just been taking out specific parts and adding them to my current game, like those sweet sweet simple adjustable fairing parts, but I was just curious. If not I'll just continue to pull what I want depending on the game save.

Appreciate all the work you've done on this mod and for this community.

On 9/30/2015 at 3:21 AM, CobaltWolf said:

I don't want to download all this, can you split up the mod?

I wish it was that easy! At this point, splitting up the mod would be a good deal of work, as well as additional overhead to maintain. Additionally, despite the frequency this gets asked, nobody seems to agree on how the mod should be split up! However, the mod is easily prunable. Deleting folders inside Gamedata/Bluedog_DB/Parts/ will delete that part family without breaking other parts of the mod. For finer pruning, mods like Janitor's Closet can be used to remove parts from within the game.

@Jesse-Lacey

Edited by Spaceman.Spiff

5 hours ago, rangerrenze said:

1 hour ago, Pappystein said:

If you updated BDB, did you include the BDB Extras folder for REALNAMES.  Without that folder, which is under BDB extras, you won't have real names.   You do not need ALL the extras in the extras folder (you can pick and choose which ones to install.)   I strongly suggest adding Sandstone and MLV in however :D  But that is self serving since I made both of those :D

Please don't install all of BDB_Extras. Just copy the realnames.cfg out of there and into your Gamedata.

On 7/14/2021 at 10:02 PM, Pappystein said:

So fun question given I just started playing in 1.12.x

Are you running 1.12?

Autostruts do not seem to work in old saves updated to 1.12 it seems.   IDK, I haven't reaserched this but my ISS is flopping arround in space since I upgraded to 1.12....

The SSP's solar wing was rotating along the axis of the bulk of the station and that induced some HUGE bending movements about the Harmony Node (does not help that it is part heavy and that there is a Skylab at the other end from the SPP.

Yes, this is a known thing in 1.12. the struts no longer hold beyond docking ports. I'm pretty sure someone will probably create a mod to undo the change.

9 minutes ago, Invaderchaos said:

Here's some in-game pics of Transit 5BN and Transit 5E-2. Will get some of this stuff on github some time over the next few days.
screenshot2167.png
screenshot2187.png
screenshot2192.png
screenshot2196.png
screenshot2197.png
screenshot2199.png
screenshot2200.png

Rad stuff Invader, can't wait to amalgamate these parts into one massive satellite.

4 hours ago, Invaderchaos said:

Here's some in-game pics of Transit 5BN and Transit 5E-2. Will get some of this stuff on github some time over the next few days.
screenshot2167.png
screenshot2187.png
screenshot2192.png
screenshot2196.png
screenshot2197.png
screenshot2199.png
screenshot2200.png

damn, you just got into the top 5 of my fictional best ksp modders list! amazing!

10 hours ago, Alpha512 said:

Sorry for the dumb question, but how do I use procedural fairings with BDB fairing bases? They all just show up in 1.25m size and can't be extended beyond 1.5 no matter the supposed fairing size

BDB is incompatible with the very latest version of procedural fairings. We have a fairly complex catch all patch that creates a PF version of each base and we havent managed to update it yet to work with the new PF. This is being worked on in a special feature branch on github but I havent managed to figure it out yet. Hopefully we can get it working by the next BDB update.