[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

9 minutes ago, jefferyharrell said:

@Beccab Do you play in the stock solar system, or do you use something like JNSQ? The Atlas Heavy says 2.5X, but the lunar shuttle says stock solar system to me.

Also I adore your TUFX preset. Would you consider sharing it?

Stock system unfortunately, the JNSQ clouds are not very detailed and Ad Astra wasn't updated last I checked. With a bit of luck though this Evolved Shuttle should have enough Delta V for a lunar mission even with 2.5x/2.7x, the booster separation happened very high in the stock system (ap was something like 400 km already) and with the full Centaur tanks with OMS fuel it has 2200+ delta V once in orbit

The TUFX I use is Alberro's, but unfortunately I can't share it. I suggest Zorg's if you want one, it's very good

EOSS SII tether station aft MDA.

Once the SII is ready I will look into doing the truss but for now the aft MDA should make the main workshop more modular allowing expansion at both ends. Features 4 radial docking nodes each of which can be switched between 0.625m or 0.9375m docking nodes or as a window. A rear airlock which can also be switched to a docking node with usable 2.5 and 1.875m rings. The structural adapters can of course be added to transition to other diameters.

screen_2560x1440_2021-08-22_18-32-01.png?width=1500&height=844

screen_2560x1440_2021-08-22_18-33-00.png?width=1311&height=843

unknown.png

Very lazy mockup of what it could look like using the old SII.

screenshot39.png?width=1500&height=844

screenshot40.png?width=1500&height=844

screenshot43.png?width=1500&height=844

Just now, Zorg said:

Once the SII is ready I will look into doing the truss but for now the aft MDA should make the main workshop more modular allowing expansion at both ends. Features 4 radial docking nodes each of which can be switched between 0.625m or 0.9375m docking nodes or as a window. A rear airlock which can also be switched to a docking node with usable 2.5 and 1.875m rings. The structural adapters can of course be added to transition to other diameters.

unknown.png

Oh my :O

47 minutes ago, Beccab said:

Stock system unfortunately, the JNSQ clouds are not very detailed and Ad Astra wasn't updated last I checked.

I've never tried Ad Astra, but I don't mind JNSQ's clouds. Here are some shots from my kitbashed "Atlas S" carrying my first orbital telescope. These were taken at about 80 kilometers.

7dOuFtI.jpg

iIF9MTI.jpg

Maybe because I've never tried Ad Astra my standards aren't very high.

5 hours ago, Zorg said:

unknown.png

Oh. My. God!  :O

Edited by Alpha512

On 8/20/2021 at 6:08 PM, AlphaMensae said:

There's a reason for all those "Juno II"s at museums...they're not actually Juni IIs, but regular Jupiters dressed up as Juno IIs.  Only 10 Juno IIs were made, by lengthening the Jupiter by 3 feet and adding the Jupiter-C solid upper stages.  All were launched (five by NASA), and none more were made. The Air Force though did a have a large number of Jupiter missiles left over, and eventually a bunch were given to museums. Some are shown as Jupiters, but the rest were dressed up to look like Juno IIs...and all of those are 3 feet too short. :) 

https://gwsbooks.blogspot.com/2019/04/

That was actually a really interesting read! It's a shame, really; if Jupiter had been deployed even two years earlier it would have likely been one of the most potent strategic weapons available to NATO and would have given US space efforts a little extra power to lift heavier payloads. As it turned out, though, Jupiter was an obsolete relic by the time it was declared operational, and as a launch vehicle it was passed over by rapidly advancing technology.

Anyway, here's some more of what I've been up to:

SM-68 Titan I development flights:

5zm1YWs.png

WyJACjR.png

DIdnBXn.png

SCORE Launch:

imMdQKD.png

JYjrNYr.png

Little Joe LES testing:

zPPkwRr.png

More Juno II launches (with more correct decal placement this time:

KR1ZJp4.png

QiMFjn5.png

Even if it was such a crappy launch vehicle, you've got to admit it has a certain aesthetic quality about itself.

2 hours ago, faze pope said:

does this mod work out of the box with real solar system?

Realism Overhaul contains some compatibility patches for Bluedog Design Bureau, but they aren't updated for some of the newer parts that exist here. They're maintained on that end, not by the BDB developers.

Edit: If you're JUST using RSS, then this should still work but the rockets are still sized for smaller planets so the parts will be underpowered.

Edited by Razgriz1

I thought you'd like to see some screenshots of my Hyperion crew transfer vehicle launching on top of a modified Delta IV Heavy.

64gslmt.jpg

This is in JNSQ, by the way, hence the big rocket for such a relatively small payload. The DCSS also rendezvous with my space station in a 750 km orbit, so I need a bit more delta vee than I would for a simple hop to low orbit.

zXhbPxJ.jpg

DeNeWWx.jpg

Side booster separation is always clean. (By the way, if anybody can tell me how to turn off thermal highlighting and have it stay off I'd be obliged.)

M1Nwrrg.jpg

I added retro motors to the first stage for a nice separation.

2sgnPXu.png

I just missed getting a screenshot of tower jettison. Here you can see the solar panels I added to the DCSS to increase its loiter time.

It4gwLU.jpg

Just a couple hundred meters per second to circularize into a 250 km parking orbit. Also a better view of the solar panels.

uxBk3B8.png

Finally the requisite artsy shot. This was taken during the rendezvous transfer orbit injection burn.

5 hours ago, Razgriz1 said:

Realism Overhaul contains some compatibility patches for Bluedog Design Bureau, but they aren't updated for some of the newer parts that exist here. They're maintained on that end, not by the BDB developers.

Edit: If you're JUST using RSS, then this should still work but the rockets are still sized for smaller planets so the parts will be underpowered.

is there a way to scale all the part myself? realism overhaul isnt compatible with the newest versions yet.

12 hours ago, pTrevTrevs said:

That was actually a really interesting read! It's a shame, really; if Jupiter had been deployed even two years earlier it would have likely been one of the most potent strategic weapons available to NATO and would have given US space efforts a little extra power to lift heavier payloads. As it turned out, though, Jupiter was an obsolete relic by the time it was declared operational, and as a launch vehicle it was passed over by rapidly advancing technology.

Nice Photos,

RE Jupiter.   The Size of Jupiter combined with it's engine was ALWAYS going to put it behind Thor.   Same engine but fatter?   that equals lower performance in every category except "worst aerodynamic drag".   Add that the Turbopump Roll control is outside the main rocket line and you have a very draggy rocket for the engine in question.   Now if a different, More potent engine had been installed, with a different type of Roll control....  It did have potential.   Just not with the S3D/LR79

"Jarvis" Shuttle derived launch vehicle (1980s)

Spoiler

jarvis3.jpg

I have to say that it was extremely overpowered for the stock system, so much that without a very heavy payload (80+ tons range) it would probably be too much even for JNSQ :cool: I have to admit I really like the concept behind the rocket, it's basically an SLS block 1 for one third of the launch cost and available 30 years ago

It took me really too long to find this one and finding more interesting unflown rockets to recreate will be even harder, so if anyone has ideas please tell me!
Screenshot_6633.png
Screenshot_6612.pngScreenshot_6615.pngScreenshot_6646.pngScreenshot_6651.pngScreenshot_6655.pngScreenshot_6658.pngScreenshot_6664.pngScreenshot_6674.pngScreenshot_6689.pngScreenshot_6680.png

Edited by Beccab

11 minutes ago, Beccab said:

Reveal hidden contents

jarvis3.jpg

I have to say that it was extremely overpowered for the stock system, so much that without a very heavy payload (80+ tons range) it would probably be too much even for JNSQ :cool: I have to admit I really like the concept behind the rocket, it's basically an SLS block 1 for one third of the launch cost and available 30 years ago

Screenshot_6646.pngScreenshot_6680.png

Incredible pics again! You're making me want to actually play KSP again :P Dont have the time though. Also might be the first use I've seen of the OAO panels being used elsewhere. They are defiitely difficult to integrate into other builds.

9 minutes ago, Zorg said:

Incredible pics again! You're making me want to actually play KSP again :P Dont have the time though. Also might be the first use I've seen of the OAO panels being used elsewhere. They are defiitely difficult to integrate into other builds.

Thanks! Personally, I believe they could be used more if there was an option to make both panel fold in the same direction instead of mirrored, that way some more possibilities open. Or hell, maybe even making them fold normally against the side of the probe. Still, they work great for telescopes and KH-like satellites

I'm really looking forward to what else you plan to add to Skylab, Spacelab or any Saturn-based stuff!

Edited by Beccab

20 hours ago, Zorg said:

unknown.png

Oh my God, I'm so psyched for the launch of the Saturn Expansion.  Did not expect to see stations for this

PS: Out of curiosity, will the new update include @Well's MOL IVAs??? Also, speaking of that, I'd say replace the Mercury capsule's IVA with the stock MK1 IVA. 

2 minutes ago, davidy12 said:

Oh my God, I'm so psyched for the launch of the Saturn Expansion.  Did not expect to see stations for this

PS: Out of curiosity, will the new update include @Well's MOL IVAs??? Also, speaking of that, I'd say replace the Mercury capsule's IVA with the stock MK1 IVA. 

The IVAs were made by Beale actually and if I can get motivated to finish placing the props might be able to release them with Invaders upcoming probe update. Haven’t been able to do much on that since I didn’t want to interrupt the Skylab momentum. But the remaining stuff like EOSS and VFB depend on Saturn assets so now might be a good time to go back to those. 

I’ll check the Mercury IVA. 

3 hours ago, Pappystein said:

Nice Photos,

RE Jupiter.   The Size of Jupiter combined with it's engine was ALWAYS going to put it behind Thor.   Same engine but fatter?   that equals lower performance in every category except "worst aerodynamic drag".   Add that the Turbopump Roll control is outside the main rocket line and you have a very draggy rocket for the engine in question.   Now if a different, More potent engine had been installed, with a different type of Roll control....  It did have potential.   Just not with the S3D/LR79

If I remember right, wasn’t Thor development started a few years after Jupiter, and only because Atlas was experiencing such large delays? In fact, I think the Air Force was totally against the use of MRBMs until it was apparent that Atlas wouldn’t be ready in time to match Soviet ICBMs, at which point they took control of the Jupiter facilities and began work on Thor.

FWIW this is mostly what I remember in my head, I’m not able to verify if it’s correct right now.

8 hours ago, faze pope said:

is there a way to scale all the part myself? realism overhaul isnt compatible with the newest versions yet.

I mean sure, if you want to put in the time to do it. It's not just the physical size of the part though, you'd also have to alter the mass, the fuel types and amount, the engine thrust levels, pretty much everything. You can take a look at the patches that do exist in Realism Overhaul and try your hand at it yourself.

4 hours ago, Beccab said:

That's so cool!

What are the mods used for it? I can see BDB (obviously) and ReDIRECT, anything else? Also, would really appreciate if you post the craft file (w\o payload)

1 hour ago, biohazard15 said:

That's so cool!

What are the mods used for it? I can see BDB (obviously) and ReDIRECT, anything else? Also, would really appreciate if you post the craft file (w\o payload)

Thanks! Most of it is BDB and ReDIRECT really, plus Restock for the SSME (not the true one of SOCK, but the work done on the Vector's plume is just... majestic. Sometimes I shoot it up on the runaway just to look at how it changes as I throttle up, and the atmospheric expansion is wonderfully done as well. Easily the best plume in the entire history of KSP) as well as Modular Launchpads for the, well, launchpad, which is a custom one I made for this rocket starting from the base Delta IV Heavy one. Also Conformal Decals for the final touch

Here is the craft file:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/828297875833487383/879425209470451752/jarvis.loadmeta
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/828297875833487383/879425213496958986/jarvis.craft

I've posted it on discord since it's the easiest way for me to store files under 8 mbs (I use it for the screenshots too) and doesn't need a discord account to access them, but if you (or anyone else who wants the rocket) need me to use another file storage type just tell me. I had to modify the rocket a little bit since the second stage didn't really separate well originally (I was lazy and cheated it away from it with time warp), it still blocks in the interstage sometimes but in case it happens it's enough to shoot the second stage engines a little. All the mods elencated above are needed for it, including modular launchpads plus this:

I've found you can also make some pretty nice variations of it by changing a few colour variants:
Screenshot_6696.png
Screenshot_6701.png

8 hours ago, Beccab said:

Sorry to correct your excellent design, but those two verniers aren't actually verniers. They are a pair of AJ-10s designed to assist in the recovery of the SSME.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=32897.0;

I think it's one of my favourite parts of Jarvis, and makes it stand out a bit.

5 minutes ago, KeaKaka said:

Sorry to correct your excellent design, but those two verniers aren't actually verniers. They are a pair of AJ-10s designed to assist in the recovery of the SSME.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=32897.0;

I think it's one of my favourite parts of Jarvis, and makes it stand out a bit.

At one point when I was making the rocket I did actually figure out they couldn't be cryo engines in the original design, but I didn't want to set up some fuel storage to carry liquid fuel so I just gave up, put some random LR-87 and called it a day:P sorry