[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

1 minute ago, jefferyharrell said:

Do you have the Vector modded to run on LH2? In my game it's a LiquidFuel engine, which is why I never use it.

Yep! There's a patch on CKAN and the cryo tanks mod that converts various engines to LH2 where it fits

45 minutes ago, Beccab said:

Yep! There's a patch on CKAN and the cryo tanks mod that converts various engines to LH2 where it fits

I hate to be a pill, but if you wouldn't mind could you be a little more specific? I'd like to run with that patch but I'm not finding it in CKAN, and Cryo Tanks/Cryogenic Engines appears to leave the Vector alone.

EDIT: Sorry, I found it. For anybody else who wants it, it's here: https://github.com/post-kerbin-mining-corporation/CryoEngines/tree/master/Extras/CryoEnginesRestock It doesn't come down with the CKAN install; the extras have to be installed manually. Sorry for bothering you, @Beccab.

Edited by jefferyharrell

14 hours ago, Beccab said:

Spoiler

Jarvis" Shuttle derived launch vehicle (1980s)

Reveal hidden contents

jarvis3.jpg

I have to say that it was extremely overpowered for the stock system, so much that without a very heavy payload (80+ tons range) it would probably be too much even for JNSQ :cool: I have to admit I really like the concept behind the rocket, it's basically an SLS block 1 for one third of the launch cost and available 30 years ago

It took me really too long to find this one and finding more interesting unflown rockets to recreate will be even harder, so if anyone has ideas please tell me!
Screenshot_6633.png
Screenshot_6612.pngScreenshot_6615.pngScreenshot_6646.pngScreenshot_6651.pngScreenshot_6655.pngScreenshot_6658.pngScreenshot_6664.pngScreenshot_6674.pngScreenshot_6689.pngScreenshot_6680.png

OMG this looks so good!! I have some questions. What are those tiny engines on the bottom? And how do you add the awesome decals? It really makes it look so real...

I am under the impression that BDB has compatibility config for RemoteTech that adds 3km omni antenna to all probes, but it doesn't seem to be working in the latest update with Kerbal 1.12.2. When launched, unless I put on an antenna (which makes some of the small probes looks ridiculous), the probe is still showing not connected, thus no control. Does anyone else run into this issue?

21 hours ago, Beccab said:

"Jarvis" Shuttle derived launch vehicle (1980s)

Reveal hidden contents

jarvis3.jpg

I have to say that it was extremely overpowered for the stock system, so much that without a very heavy payload (80+ tons range) it would probably be too much even for JNSQ :cool: I have to admit I really like the concept behind the rocket, it's basically an SLS block 1 for one third of the launch cost and available 30 years ago

It took me really too long to find this one and finding more interesting unflown rockets to recreate will be even harder, so if anyone has ideas please tell me!
Screenshot_6633.png
Screenshot_6612.pngScreenshot_6615.pngScreenshot_6646.pngScreenshot_6651.pngScreenshot_6655.pngScreenshot_6658.pngScreenshot_6664.pngScreenshot_6674.pngScreenshot_6689.pngScreenshot_6680.png

The Jarvis family is a special one :)

220200_20210814014448_1.png
220200_20210814014458_1.png

Spoiler

220200_20210814015028_1.png
220200_20210814015122_1.png
220200_20210814015217_1.png
220200_20210814015442_1.png
220200_20210814015533_1.png
220200_20210814015714_1.png

1815597.jpg

Spoiler

1815594.jpg
1815595.jpg
1815598.jpg

On 8/23/2021 at 8:09 AM, Beccab said:

"Jarvis" Shuttle derived launch vehicle (1980s)

Reveal hidden contents

jarvis3.jpg

Screenshot_6633.png

Nice!

I'm having the weirdest problem. I use both Bluedog and Procedural Fairings, right? Now I would swear there used to be Bluedog part variants for Procedural Parts. I even remember their names ending with "(PF)". Now they seem to have disappeared from my game. I have roughly two million mods, so I'm stumped as to where to begin looking for the problem, if there even is a problem. Any chance anybody can point me in a direction? It doesn't even have to be the right direction.

3 minutes ago, jefferyharrell said:

I'm having the weirdest problem. I use both Bluedog and Procedural Fairings, right? Now I would swear there used to be Bluedog part variants for Procedural Parts. I even remember their names ending with "(PF)". Now they seem to have disappeared from my game. I have roughly two million mods, so I'm stumped as to where to begin looking for the problem, if there even is a problem. Any chance anybody can point me in a direction? It doesn't even have to be the right direction.

It's not Procedural Fairings, it's Simple Adjustable Fairings (SAF) that BDB uses

2 minutes ago, Beccab said:

It's not Procedural Fairings, it's Simple Adjustable Fairings (SAF) that BDB uses

Thanks! It actually turns out to be both. I solved my own problem by deleting my Module Manager cache files and restarting my game. Or rather, I did that and then the "(PF)" parts were back. I'm only assuming deleting the Module Manager files did it.

2 hours ago, jefferyharrell said:

Thanks! It actually turns out to be both. I solved my own problem by deleting my Module Manager cache files and restarting my game. Or rather, I did that and then the "(PF)" parts were back. I'm only assuming deleting the Module Manager files did it.

It should be noted that the BDB proc fairings patch is not compatible with the latest version of PF. The fix will be in the next release. Or if you're using the github version the fix is already there.

Edited by Zorg

7 minutes ago, Zorg said:

It should be noted that the BDB proc fairings patch is not compatible with the latest version of PF. The fix will be in the next release. Or if you're using the github version the fix is already there.

Oh, thanks. Is there any reason not to use the Github version over the last release? It's not save-breaking, is it?

5 minutes ago, jefferyharrell said:

Oh, thanks. Is there any reason not to use the Github version over the last release? It's not save-breaking, is it?

The github master is somwhat stable and you get the some of the latest goodies from github, stuff that isnt released but we make no assurances. Other branches are even less stable. Its really just for testing but lots of people are willing to take the risk to play with the latest stuff :P

If you're concerned about save breaking changes I would advise to stick to the release. 

NASA Flyback Booster

This one is a mix of many, many proposals over the years, mainly the Rockwell one below and the Boeing reusable ALS proposal also below:

Spoiler

0629_060421_01.jpg13777-b151ae9ac9c07378d0855cc64f72944b.j

The most important change here compared to about every proposal I have seen is that I had to add a sea level engine to the upper stage that takes fuel from the flyback booster's tank due to the impossibility of remaining stable during the launch. I have also chosen a proper payload here, the Zenith Star laser anti-satellite weapon that was to be launched on the Barbarian:

Spoiler

DTVk1S-XUAAk28b.jpg

Screenshot_6724.pngScreenshot_6816.pngScreenshot_6745.pngScreenshot_6748.pngScreenshot_6759.pngScreenshot_6775.pngScreenshot_6781.pngScreenshot_6799.pngScreenshot_6821.pngScreenshot_6824.pngScreenshot_6832.pngScreenshot_6849.pngScreenshot_6785.pngScreenshot_6806.pngScreenshot_6815.png

6 hours ago, Beccab said:

NASA Flyback Booster

This one is a mix of many, many proposals over the years, mainly the Rockwell one below and the Boeing reusable ALS proposal also below:

Reveal hidden contents

0629_060421_01.jpg13777-b151ae9ac9c07378d0855cc64f72944b.j

The most important change here compared to about every proposal I have seen is that I had to add a sea level engine to the upper stage that takes fuel from the flyback booster's tank due to the impossibility of remaining stable during the launch. I have also chosen a proper payload here, the Zenith Star laser anti-satellite weapon that was to be launched on the Barbarian:

Reveal hidden contents

DTVk1S-XUAAk28b.jpg

Wow... your stuff is always so impressive!

17 minutes ago, davidy12 said:

Are the ullage motors going to be jettisonable? That's what they did on all Saturn S-IVB equipped missions.

Yes, I need to speak with @Jso about making them auto-jettison after burnout.

9 hours ago, SpaceFace545 said:

Will the petal fairings split off like on the later apollo missions? 

Yes. AFAIK the functionality/implementation will be the same as it is currently - there will be a separate version with nodes+panels, and the panels will be reused for the Venus Flyby as well.

@CobaltWolf
l have a petal fairing request. For the fully enclosed petal fairing at the tip of rockets, it's currently deployed with hinges so parts stay attached, but the fairing isn't reclosable. Consider allowing it to be closed again.

This fairing would work well with conceptual reusable rockets.

(and with extreme Tweakscale we can recreate scenes from the movie Moonraker)

Edited by DeadJohn

I've got a problem with this and Procedural Fairings.

All of the "PF" variant fairing bases from BDB for Procedural Fairings have a max size of 1.5m. This is including parts that definitely should not max out at 1.5m, such as the Saturn or Delta IV fairing bases.

This is in a career game, with all the Procedural Fairings upgrades unlocked (unlimited-sized fairings).

Is there a fix for this?