[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

On 9/13/2021 at 4:46 AM, Zorg said:

are you sure your profile is just not too aggressive? I tested in JNSQ with the aero overlay and did not see excessive drag on anything. The only time I flipped out was when I pitched over too quickly and found myself at 45 degrees pitch angle well before 15km. Any differences in KSRSS could be due to different atmo density curves or something idk. Will try at KSRSS at some point. (I tested a Thorad Agena).

MJ PVG was also fine, I had a pitch rate of 0.5 set.

Flew another KH-4 on Thor-Agena D last night, and the rocket violently flipped before the navball marker was even outside the circle of the prograde vector. My biggest suspect right now is BDB in Colors, considering how it messed up the old Apollo chutes, so I'll remove it and try launching again.

I'm having an issue with unlocking the upgrades for some of the engines. the Kick solids upgrade 3, Transtage 34D, the AJ5 and AJ11 version of single engine, and maybe a few others i haven't noticed do not show up in the techtree. 

I've run into this problem before but that was due to me removing relevant files from folders instead of deleting the entire folder. but even with the entire folder present these upgrades are still missing. the only way to get these upgrades seems to be to do no pruning whatsoever.

A workaround seems to be to keep "No Entry Purchase Required on Research" ticked in the difficulty menu.

I'm having trouble with the P-11 "Hitchhiker" subsat:  It doesn't want to decouple, either through the part's right click menu or an action group.  Is this just me?  Also, it'd be nice to have the decouple action show up in staging, if that's possible.  Not a big deal, though.

EDIT:  It was just me.  I had the Agena D equipment aft rack in the wrong configuration.  Instead of the rack being 'enabled' I had it set to 'SPS', where it has nodes to attach to.  Apparently the P-11 doesn't like to decouple from nodes but works just fine when surface mounted.

Edited by braxfortex
Found the problem

15 hours ago, pTrevTrevs said:

Flew another KH-4 on Thor-Agena D last night, and the rocket violently flipped before the navball marker was even outside the circle of the prograde vector. My biggest suspect right now is BDB in Colors, considering how it messed up the old Apollo chutes, so I'll remove it and try launching again.

Not really sure if that would make sense? It messed up the old Apollo chute because of the wonderful parachute module not really cooperating with the switch module BDBNIC put on the chute. As there is no parachute on a KH-4 Thor that BDBNIC applies a switch to, BDBNIC is likely not the culprit. Still, let me know if this actually does anything.

Capture.PNG
Explorer_38.jpg

In other news, I was away from my primary computer most of yesterday so I was unable to work on finishing Pioneer. Instead, I got started on a super small set of parts (Explorer 38/49, along with its associated Star 17). Explorer 49, Radio Astronomy Satellite B is probably the most underrated US lunar orbiter of all time. It was also technically one of the largest  spacecrafts ever launched, as it had 4 radio booms that were each over 240m long. RAE-A and RAE-B were also 2 out of 4 of the only radio astronomy satellites ever launched (to my knowledge). Also a super BDB looking probe. Also, would there be any interest in a Star-17A(extended version of Star-17). It was used as a kick motor for a few sats. Wouldn’t be too much trouble to make as I’m already doing Star 17, but if there’s not much interest in it, I don’t know if I’d bother.

Edited by Invaderchaos

7 minutes ago, Invaderchaos said:

Not really sure if that would make sense? It messed up the old Apollo chute because of the wonderful parachute module not really cooperating with the switch module BDBNIC put on the chute. As there is no parachute on a KH-4 Thor that BDBNIC applies a switch to, BDBNIC is likely not the culprit. Still, let me know if this actually does anything.

Capture.PNG
Explorer_38.jpg

In other news, I was away from my primary computer most of yesterday so I was unable to work on finishing Pioneer. Instead, I got started on a super small set of parts (Explorer 38/49, along with its associated Star 17). Explorer 49, Radio Astronomy Satellite B is probably the most underrated US lunar orbiter of all time. It was also technically one of the largest  spacecrafts ever launched, as it had 4 radio booms that were each over 240m long. Also a super BDB looking probe. Also, would there be any interest in a Star-17A(extended version of Star-17). It was used as a kick motor for a few sats. Wouldn’t be too much trouble to make as I’m already doing Star 17, but if there’s not much interest in it, I don’t know if I’d bother.

At least for me there would! The more kick stages the better, they are small enough it's hard to find a perfect fitting if you are kitbashing parts

I'm very curious about those solar panels and the b9 options they could have, it could be as useful as the Ranger solar panels with enough variants

Edited by Beccab

7 minutes ago, Beccab said:

At least for me there would! The more kick stages the better, they are small enough it's hard to find a perfect fitting if you are kitbashing parts

I'm very curious about those solar panels and the b9 options they could have, it could be as useful as the Ranger solar panels with enough variants

Star-17A might be good to do? It appears to be at a midpoint between Star-27 and smaller motors. I guess it’ll depend on how much texture space I’ll have leftover. The panels appear to be promising for variants and kit bashing, but they are sadly just fixed, double-sided solar panels angled at 26.5 degrees, luckily, I am making a version of the panel that’s one-sided and tracking. But it couldn’t be a B9 variant (due to how modules work), but a separate part instead. They are super cool panels though, I think they will be fun to use in custom sats.

Edited by Invaderchaos

2 minutes ago, Invaderchaos said:

Star-17A might be good to do? It appears to be at a midpoint between Star-27 and smaller motors. I guess it’ll depend on how much texture space I’ll have leftover. The panels appear to be promising for variants and kit bashing, but they are sadly just fixed, double-sided solar panels angled at 26.5 degrees, luckily, I am making a version of the panel that’s one-sided and tracking. But it couldn’t be a B9 variant (due to how modules work), but a separate part instead. They are super cool panels though, I think they will be fun to use in custom sats.

For the fixed panel, would it be feasible to add also a B9 variant that isn't angled and/or one angled of 90 degrees?

30 minutes ago, Invaderchaos said:

RAE-A and RAE-B were also 2 out of 4 of the only radio astronomy satellites ever launched (to my knowledge).

There was one that was deployed from Salyut 6 too, so RAEs + Salyut + HALCA + Spektr-R means five radio astronomy launched into space. I guess it's harder to launch radio telescopes considering the dishes have to be very big to detect the relatively weak radio sources, unless you're doing some interferometry jazz. Strangely enough though the Wikipedia page for radio telescopes don't consider the RAEs as radio telescopes, maybe they weren't true "telescopes".

Edited by TaintedLion

37 minutes ago, Invaderchaos said:

Explorer_38.jpg

In other news, I was away from my primary computer most of yesterday so I was unable to work on finishing Pioneer. Instead, I got started on a super small set of parts (Explorer 38/49, along with its associated Star 17). Explorer 49, Radio Astronomy Satellite B is probably the most underrated US lunar orbiter of all time. It was also technically one of the largest  spacecrafts ever launched, as it had 4 radio booms that were each over 240m long. RAE-A and RAE-B were also 2 out of 4 of the only radio astronomy satellites ever launched (to my knowledge). Also a super BDB looking probe. Also, would there be any interest in a Star-17A(extended version of Star-17). It was used as a kick motor for a few sats. Wouldn’t be too much trouble to make as I’m already doing Star 17, but if there’s not much interest in it, I don’t know if I’d bother.

I would appreciate more options for kick motors

13 minutes ago, TaintedLion said:

There was one that was deployed from Salyut 6 too, so RAEs + Salyut + HALCA + Spektr-R means five radio astronomy launched into space. I guess it's harder to launch radio telescopes considering the dishes have to be very big to detect the relatively weak radio sources, unless you're doing some interferometry jazz. Strangely enough though the Wikipedia page for radio telescopes don't consider the RAEs as radio telescopes, maybe they weren't true "telescopes".

Ah, hadn’t considered Salyut 6. While there is certainly a utility to launching radio astronomy satellites, (certain wavelengths don’t reach the ground iirc) most radio waves can penetrate Earth’s atmosphere (unlike xray’s or gamma rays, which require space telescopes), meaning for the most part ground based radio astronomy is usually more advantageous than space-based astronomy which explains the small amount of radio astronomy satellites. In terms of whether not it’s a telescope, the definition of telescope can be extremely loose (as abstract as some sort of detector that can measure a certain amount of light and determine what direction that light came from). Some even have called explorer 1 the first space telescope (I guess it would be a cosmic ray telescope) because it was able to accomplish this. By this definition Wikipedia should have RAE A/B listed as a telescope; for niche space related information, Wikipedia is usually lacking. Additionally, while some radio telescopes use an actual mirror to my knowledge (like a “conventional” telescope), I believe Spektr-R just uses a dish, making it as much of a telescope as RAE. But I could be wrong

Just now, Invaderchaos said:

I believe Spektr-R just uses a dish, making it as much of a telescope as RAE.

It did, but RAE was literally just some very long wires, I don't think it had anything to really focus the radio waves. Perhaps it was more for just detection rather than forming radio images?

19 minutes ago, Starhelperdude said:

I would appreciate more options for kick motors

Yea, I am growing more warm to the idea of including Star 17A. Not sure how much space the textures will take for this (I just might be able to fit it all in a 256x512 texture), but if I can’t fit Star 17A in the texture, then I’m not going to lose any sleep. It shouldn’t take too much space though as it uses the same nozzle mesh and texture as Star 17. 

8 minutes ago, TaintedLion said:

It did, but RAE was literally just some very long wires, I don't think it had anything to really focus the radio waves. Perhaps it was more for just detection rather than forming radio images?

I don’t believe something has to be an imager to be a telescope. Again, the definition of a telescope can be as abstract as measuring a magnitude of light (or in some cases, even particles) and determining the direction it originated. RAE certainly fit this definition. After all, (while Explorer 1 does technically satisfy the definition of a telescope), Explorer 11 is often referred to as the first space telescope, which could measure gamma rays and sense the direction they originated, was not an imaging telescope. Many non-imaging instruments, such as charged particle and cosmic ray experiments, are often officially referred to as charged particle telescopes and cosmic ray telescopes by NASA.

Edited by Invaderchaos

6 minutes ago, Invaderchaos said:

Explorer 11 is often referred to as the first space telescope, which could measure gamma rays and sense the direction they originated, was not an imaging telescope.

I suppose, I think RAE was more along that lines than for imaging. But it's still a very cool satellite though.

18 hours ago, pTrevTrevs said:

Flew another KH-4 on Thor-Agena D last night, and the rocket violently flipped before the navball marker was even outside the circle of the prograde vector.

Throwing in my 2 cents for more data. Just tested this and had no issues, so here's my specifics:

KSRSS @ 2.5x, Friznit-approved build of Thor/AgendaD, except the wiki says to use "Fenris-MCA Structural Adapter + Belle Interstage" which I did not find to be correct, only the Belle interstage is needed to connect the Agena to the tapered 600 tank. RL79 set to 218 "Odin".  4 fins. Mechjeb: Classic, 250km, Limit Accel 35m/s.  (none of the color mods you guys have mentioned).

Here's my ascent path which seems like the thing to edit if you wanted to flip a rocket: start turn 100m/s, turn end alt 75k, final angle 0, turn shape 74%

This profile results in the steering reticle staying well within the prograde circle until 17km alt, 608m/s, mach 2.1.

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

Some improvements and additions to the LM...

8GchOYH.png
R85wlqP.png

MESA experiment

dm98OBd.png
bXQrXV3.png

Mystery Goo

vR9xdNw.png

Some much better images than I can take, courtesy of @Pioneer_Steve

Love it! Is there any chance you could do a part switch config for the other front quadrant so that a collapsed LRV could be carried? No need to actually do a rover, there are plenty of those already. The robotics parts in 1.11.2 allow you to create a deployment mechanism for a LRV, but the current descent stage config makes that a little awkward when the LRV is stowed. 

Thanks!

16 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

KSRSS @ 2.5x, Friznit-approved build of Thor/AgendaD, except the wiki says to use "Fenris-MCA Structural Adapter + Belle Interstage" which I did not find to be correct, only the Belle interstage is needed to connect the Agena to the tapered 600 tank.

I suspect you're using the Agena A interstage?  That fits onto the  tapered tank without an adapter but the straight Agena B/D interstage needs a structural adapter.  Functionally either approach works of course, it's simply how close to the real rocket you want it to look.

Edit: just flew a quick KH4 mission on Thor Agena D (TAT) on my heavily modded install (JNSQ and all the things) - with a manual launch it's certainly a bit twitchy in the lower atmosphere like all small rockets but if you keep the gravity turn gentle and nudge the prograde down it's fine.

Edited by Friznit