[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

10 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

But if I may muse on this somewhat, I like the boiloff as a gameplay mechanic

Oh so do I. Don't get me wrong. I've just been having fun with the rate dialed down to 10% from the default of 50%. If I really need long-term storage of LH2, I can use Nertea's CryoTanks, which do have active cooling. ;-)

19 hours ago, birdog357 said:

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?isbn=&an=john taylor&tn=janes worlds aircraft 1964-1965&n=100121503&cm_sp=mbc-_-ats-_-used  $60 is a bit steep for a single bit of research, until you see Amazon's price of $500....

Thanks.  I buy Reference books but I will hope someone has access to it and can just post any S-4 engine data they find (pictures nice.)  I don't want to shell 60 for a book that will likely remain on my shelf after the fact.

31 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

How about this? Show me a rover that can fit inside and I'll be more motivated to do it :P The colliders would effectively be the from the edge of the front leg quadrant to the edge of the side... here lemme just show. You have the pink opening to work with there.

it seems doable at glance, only problem i ran into is the RoveMax M1-F are about 25% to big but that could easily be fixed with rescale or messing with the config,

https://imgur.com/a/8ctodFN

26 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

- I've been told the length for the S-IVC is incorrect, and needs to be 2x as long as an S-IVB. I'm not quite sure on that, I believe @Scorpuran the math there. Since the Saturn tanks are all going to have length switches, I suppose we'll just end up with both S-IVB lengths, in additions to others.

- And on that note, the dual-engine mount for the S-IVC will be a switch on the S-IVB mount, which also should have a couple more by the time we're done.

I have mentioned it a few times in the past.   Thanks to ETS (a great story if you haven't read it by the by)  we have two S-IVC stages.  the NASA real proposal, as part of the Eros Flyby Vehicle and it would latter merge back into MLV as a light-weight alternative to the MS-IVB-1A or -3.       Can I suggest that the ETS Parts be designated ES-x  eg I have the ES-IVC listed below... instead of S-x for legacy Saturn parts or MS-x for the INT/MLV family (and yes I think all the INT family of parts should be designated MS-x where MS-IB-11 is the INT-11 S-IB stage.

MS-IVB-4(S)B 4.25 11.47   Basic Redesign of base S-IVB for strenght (heavier)  
MS-IVB-1A 4.25 14.67                
MS-IVB-3 4.25 14.67                
S-IVC 4.25 14.7   <---  NOT the ETS S-IVC but the actually Designed one (SingleJ-2)
MS-IVB-2 4.25 14.87                
ES-IVC 4.25 x   ETS S-IVC            

45 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

I have mentioned it a few times in the past.   Thanks to ETS (a great story if you haven't read it by the by)  we have two S-IVC stages.  the NASA real proposal, as part of the Eros Flyby Vehicle and it would latter merge back into MLV as a light-weight alternative to the MS-IVB-1A or -3.       Can I suggest that the ETS Parts be designated ES-x  eg I have the ES-IVC listed below... instead of S-x for legacy Saturn parts or MS-x for the INT/MLV family (and yes I think all the INT family of parts should be designated MS-x where MS-IB-11 is the INT-11 S-IB stage.

MS-IVB-4(S)B 4.25 11.47   Basic Redesign of base S-IVB for strenght (heavier)  
MS-IVB-1A 4.25 14.67                
MS-IVB-3 4.25 14.67                
S-IVC 4.25 14.7   <---  NOT the ETS S-IVC but the actually Designed one (SingleJ-2)
MS-IVB-2 4.25 14.87                
ES-IVC 4.25 x   ETS S-IVC            

So that's what S-IVC came from. I only know it from a NAR Mars / Venus flyby proposal (the one with the 3 LMDE csm).

Edited by Jcking

On 9/16/2021 at 7:57 AM, Kerbal01 said:

Getting horrific oscillations with an Apollo mounted atop the new Venus flyby habitat.

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

@Zorg, didn't we figure this out? Something to do with the 1.12 docking port changes combined with the existing issue from the old one?

Yeah since 1.12 auto struts dont work across docking ports now :confused:. There is a mod by JPL repo that has a temporary bandaid until 1.12.3 and there is a fix by gotmachine in KSP community fixes. If the oscillations are not related to this issue will need a lot more descriptive details about the issue.

6 hours ago, space_powder said:

Should I be using a lofted trajectory for the revamped Saturn V? Seems like I always fly past apogee and start tumbling back down with the S-II stage still running. Playing with JNSQ
EDIT: Tried PVG with the settings from the BDB wiki, 170 km and I circularized without S-IVB seperation. I like to keep my launches fairly accurate like the freak I am and I'm sure there's something I'm doing wrong

Theres no getting around the fact a correctly scaled Saturn V is slightly overpowered. I guess this is due to the mass fraction of KSP tanks where the dry mass is so much higher than IRL. Hits very small rockets hard and makes very large ones overpowered (see Tantares N1 as well). Last we spoke about it JSO suggested a fuel load of 80% for S1C and SII for JNSQ. I havent tested since the latest mass rebalance though.

7 minutes ago, Zorg said:

Yeah since 1.12 auto struts dont work across docking ports now :confused:. There is a mod by JPL repo that has a temporary bandaid until 1.12.3 and there is a fix by gotmachine in KSP community fixes.

For what it's worth, I find Kerbal Joint Reinforcement Next works very well. Maybe it's worth a try as an alternative to autostruts.

1 minute ago, jefferyharrell said:

For what it's worth, I find Kerbal Joint Reinforcement Next works very well. Maybe it's worth a try as an alternative to autostruts.

Which KJR are you using? I relied up on it for the longest but had some trouble with KJR continued recently (1.11 era tbf). Not sure what is recommended for 1.12, KJR Next?

1 minute ago, Zorg said:

Which KJR are you using? I relied up on it for the longest but had some trouble with KJR continued recently (1.11 era tbf). Not sure what is recommended for 1.12, KJR Next?

I'm using this one on 1.12.2 with roughly six thousand other mods. Works great. Due to my sheer mod count I can't speak to whether it has a performance impact, but it works as advertised.

Just now, Adam-Kerman said:

is it me or are the new Apollo/Saturn Revamp parts not showing?

(playing on 1.8.1 with JNSQ)

downloaded Apollo Revamp branch with 3,777 Commits and somehow i'm seeing this....

it's as if they aren't there....

all the old parts now show upZecVIOi.png

This got reported on the previous page, looks like an issue with GitHub itself. The GitHub desktop client works though, and doesn't have the issue.

2 minutes ago, Invaderchaos said:

E_iY3FlWUAEsjbf?format=jpg&name=4096x409
A (VERY ALPHA) version of Pioneer is on github. It is NOT DONE by ANY means. I literally haven't done any of the experiments, names, or descriptions yet. However it is (mostly) balanced and physically it is complete.

So your ambitious with probes lately. Do you have a general roadmap or plans for what’s next?

7 minutes ago, SpaceFace545 said:

So your ambitious with probes lately. Do you have a general roadmap or plans for what’s next?

Well there are two probes I have left to do before I release my probe update (which at that point would contain ten-ish sets of parts for various probes which is outlined under the issue section on the BDB github). I have to finish Mariner 3-5 and RAE A/B(Explorer 38/49). I'm also doing Pegasus (the satellite) for the Apollo update. I am also working on another probe project separate from BDB; the first three probes in that project will be Voyager, Kepler Space Telescope, and AMSAT P3.  As Voyager and Kepler will be relatively big projects, it is hard for me to say what will come after that. Perhaps a proper Seasat? 

Edited by Invaderchaos

1 hour ago, Invaderchaos said:

Well there are two probes I have left to do before I release my probe update (which at that point would contain ten-ish sets of parts for various probes which is outlined under the issue section on the BDB github). I have to finish Mariner 3-5 and RAE A/B(Explorer 38/49). I'm also doing Pegasus (the satellite) for the Apollo update. I am also working on another probe project separate from BDB; the first three probes in that project will be Voyager, Kepler Space Telescope, and AMSAT P3.  As Voyager and Kepler will be relatively big projects, it is hard for me to say what will come after that. Perhaps a proper Seasat? 

Maybe Cassini?

2 hours ago, Invaderchaos said:

Is anyone currently working on new Saturn I parts or is Cobalt planning on doing that himself?

1 hour ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Maybe Cassini?

Considering that Cassini is in Coatl Aerospace (albeit in a very outdated state), I’d love to see Galileo first. I don’t know of any mods which have a proper set of parts for that.

Other than that, there’s a whole laundry list of probes I’d love to see eventually; Surveyor, Viking, Mariner 9, maybe even Magellan. Of course, I’m getting ahead of myself…

Edited by pTrevTrevs

34 minutes ago, pTrevTrevs said:

Is anyone currently working on new Saturn I parts or is Cobalt planning on doing that himself?

Considering that Cassini is in Coatl Aerospace (albeit in a very outdated state), I’d love to see Galileo first. I don’t know of any mods which have a proper set of parts for that.

Other than that, there’s a whole laundry list of probes I’d love to see eventually; Surveyor, Viking, Mariner 9, maybe even Magellan. Of course, I’m getting ahead of myself…

Galileo is also being made in the other project I am working on (not by me though).  I have no plans for Cassini. Mariner 9 will eventually be in BDB along with Mariner 6-9. Not sure when this will all happen though.

1 hour ago, Invaderchaos said:

Galileo is also being made in the other project I am working on (not by me though).  I have no plans for Cassini. Mariner 9 will eventually be in BDB along with Mariner 6-9. Not sure when this will all happen though.

Perhaps you could collaborate with Akron, he is developing Viking lander parts...

39 minutes ago, prinjrius said:

Can you download the new Apollo and Lunar Module now? Can I have a link please?

go to the github page of BDB and use the ''Apollo revamp'' branch under branches

Spoiler

80sHdyt.png

then click on the green Code button and choose ''Download Zip''

6 hours ago, Invaderchaos said:

yay, Kepler! I always enjoy it when we get more access to space telescopes, especially famous ones like kepler for example!