[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

16 hours ago, Zorg said:

Support for BDB is done by the Realism Overhaul volunteers, not the BDB authors (The compatibility files are also in RealismOverhaul, not BDB). Best way to add support for missing stuff is to contribute them yourself to the Realism Overhaul repository :)

and how to add them to the Realism Overhaul repository ?does it require certain skills?

Edited by serg1983

8 hours ago, davidy12 said:

A simple fix and honestly @CobaltWolf IT WORKS LIKE A DREAM.

Also, will we see different paint schemes on the S-1 stage (IE: How in Apollo 7 it was black and white and in Skylab/ASTP launches it was just white)? And just another notice, the S-IVB SLA Jettison is still pretty anemic. 

I think I can change the PAW buttons for the decouplers, I'll see if I can set it so it's like, "Jettison Docking Port" or something.

S-1 will probably get at least one paint variant. I'm waiting to finish the sheet - there's room left that I'll probably use for the remaining fins and such.

I'll look into the SLA panels, several people have mentioned that they're not quite up to snuff.

3 hours ago, serg1983 said:

and how to add them to the Realism Overhaul repository ?does it require certain skills?

It doesn't take any special skills, no. It's just editing text files and making a pull request on GitHub (which is quite simple). But you're better off asking on their Discord if you need help. A lot of it is just looking at existing configs to figure out the process and syntax.

10 hours ago, davidy12 said:

Ahhh... The rocket that started BDBs path to Saturn. Can still remember begging you for this rocket since FASA didn't have a good Saturn I analogue.

Since I didn't respond to this last night... yeah, right? Exciting to see it again. We're almost done with the historical stuff, at least for my end of the update. Off the top of my head, have to do the S-1 Block II fins, retro motors, and a switch for the S-1B mount that adds some extra stuff (engine fairings and the inboard engine exhaust dumps).

4 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Since I didn't respond to this last night... yeah, right? Exciting to see it again. We're almost done with the historical stuff, at least for my end of the update. Off the top of my head, have to do the S-1 Block II fins, retro motors, and a switch for the S-1B mount that adds some extra stuff (engine fairings and the inboard engine exhaust dumps).

I assume by historical you mean as flown Historical...    Cause I don't see C-3 parts anywhere :D

Any Chance of getting a J-2 Engine mount for S-IV?    For "reasons?"   :D   seems it would be mostly reductive to do a mount variant for that. (remove 5 of the 6 fuel lines on the S-IV mount, reduce nodes to 1 and remove heat shield....  Make remaining fuel line same thickness as on S-IVB.)

Ok done chain yanking and trolling :D

Seriously I wish I had not committed all my free time to a mod outside of KSP scope...   I really want to play these parts.  

17 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

Any Chance of getting a J-2 Engine mount for S-IV?    For "reasons?"   :D   seems it would be mostly reductive to do a mount variant for that. (remove 5 of the 6 fuel lines on the S-IV mount, reduce nodes to 1 and remove heat shield....  Make remaining fuel line same thickness as on S-IVB.

I think there's definitely a need for some other options on the S-IV mount, but it won't be that easy. At a minimum I'd like to make sure there is a 1x mount, yes. Will likely be based out of the S-IVB mount moreso than the S-IV; there's absolutely zero space left on those sheets, unfortunately.

7 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Since I didn't respond to this last night... yeah, right? Exciting to see it again. We're almost done with the historical stuff, at least for my end of the update. 

What's the current plan look like for what ahistorical stuff you want to work on first? Are you thinking you want to redo the ETS parts or move into new stuff like MLV and NERVA? Or is there some surprises in store?

1 hour ago, zakkpaz said:

what's the plan for the S-V stage? its essentially just a centaur so all we really need is an adapter for it.

Yeah probably just an adapter. There might be some alternative options when Zorg gets in with the SAF stuff.

1 hour ago, MajorLeaugeRocketScience said:

What's the current plan look like for what ahistorical stuff you want to work on first? Are you thinking you want to redo the ETS parts or move into new stuff like MLV and NERVA? Or is there some surprises in store?

Going to focus on getting back up to parity with the stuff currently included in the mod. So stuff like the ETS parts and AJ-260 have priority. And then there's stuff that falls more under improving the customization and variants in the parts, so there will be a lot in the form of B9 switches and the like, a lot of that's getting added. A handful of parts that are kind of necessary, like a proper 4.25m (so, AJ-260 and Saturn 1 diameter) radial decoupler, are also getting added. There will probably be a couple surprises though :) In general we'd like to get a release out before we get too crazy. 

6 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I think there's definitely a need for some other options on the S-IV mount, but it won't be that easy. At a minimum I'd like to make sure there is a 1x mount, yes. Will likely be based out of the S-IVB mount moreso than the S-IV; there's absolutely zero space left on those sheets, unfortunately.

Don't worry, I won't ask for the 220" S-IV tank nor the 4 engine mount to go with it.  

And while it was fun discovering that little gem, I think there are more important things to build past the existing "As previously in the mod" parts.   

*Chain Yanking*   S-III  */Chain Yanking*    :P

But seriously there are many avenues of Saturn that you have stated you would love to visit.  I hope you have the Time, patience and inclination to go down those roads.

And I hope I can start playing with these sometime soon!

Built a big Gemini S-IVB diameter today:unknown.png

Spoiler

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

Spoiler

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

99% BDB with a bit of KNES, Tantares, and X-20 Moroz.  260" SRB scaled to match new Saturn parts.
(There seems to be a glitch with the micrometeorite shield on Skylab, when I loaded in the craft a second time, the shield reappeared.  Also, the RCS thrusters, the Gemini Ferry ones, have no plumes.)

3 hours ago, Transformatron said:

(There seems to be a glitch with the micrometeorite shield on Skylab, when I loaded in the craft a second time, the shield reappeared. )

Known issue with the jettison module we have. Please ensure the lab itself is not the root part, would suggest making the IU the root instead (which is the "proper" way to build it anyway).

1 hour ago, Minmus Taster said:

Guys, why won't the new parts STILL not show for me?

I use the dev version.

Github has had a problem of only downloading the default branch (instead of the apollo-saturn-revamp branch that the new apollo and saturn parts were located), except it seems to be fixed now. Try cloning that branch again and see if it works.

2 hours ago, davidy12 said:

God, it is just amazing that in  6 years, we went from a mod that replicated the Atlas V and Redstone...

Wow, that´s a looong way from there to here. Thank you all for this progress and that nearly complete replica of the american space program that was AND could have been. Thank you :)

I am with you for about 3 years or so i think. and i don´t plan to go away soon :) This is beautiful. Happy birthday