[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

Gemini and Agena floating above Australia after an apogee boost to some 1,000km:

xyCILV1.png

Saturn I SA-6 and Apollo boilerplate:

rpHfEOr.png

Side note, I've recently realized that I might have LC-34 rotated about 90 away from how it was in real life. Will confirm and rectify if necessary.

stand-up guy lovechild of Pioneer 6 and OSO inserted into heliocentric orbit on Delta E:

hZ0TxrH.png

0Eknv0Z.png

8i8KMQV.png

It occurred to me that I'm missing a lot of science by only making sun observations from LEO and MEO. Now I can stare at the sun from around the same distance, but without that pesky Earth in the way.

4 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Yeah, we're more going to focus on Apollo/Saturn "what-ifs" moving forward. But no plans to stop. We'll probably port everything to KSP2 at some point and keep working there.

Is there any other rocket family/type that could still be added in the future or will there be 'just' probes and variants of rockets already in BDB?

Edited by Beccab

3 hours ago, Beccab said:

Is there any other rocket family/type that could still be added in the future or will there be 'just' probes and variants of rockets already in BDB?

Speaking for myself I have no plans to make another rocket family. I do want to redo the atlas engines as mentioned previously plus redo some of the hardware and add some stuff. Plus I have a couple more non historical skylab stuff to do and IVAs. Beyond that perhaps a probe or two. By the time thats all done will have to see where we are with respect to a KSP2 release date.

Hi guys does anyone know why my Apollo Spacecraft doesnt attach to the SLA fairing nicely? Theres a big gap between the SM and the SLA panels even though i used the supposedly correct parts and nodes (with the engine mount). These are all parts from the revamp.

https://imgur.com/gallery/VZnUQhS

Edited by Kais_The_Duck

42 minutes ago, Kais_The_Duck said:

Hi guys does anyone know why my Apollo Spacecraft doesnt attach to the SLA fairing nicely? Theres a big gap between the SM and the SLA panels even though i used the supposedly correct parts and nodes (with the engine mount). These are all parts from the revamp.

https://imgur.com/gallery/VZnUQhS

Please do not use saturn rescale from extras anymore. The new saturn is at correct scale.

3 minutes ago, x170doom said:

just a quick question regarding the historical apollo/saturn/skylab parts. are there any historical parts not yet in game or are all the historical parts and variants present?

er I think all the historical Saturn and Apollo parts are in game now. For Skylab I've been meaning to do the parasol/sunshade but apart from that everything else is in game. The Skylab workshop IVA may or may not make an initial release (probably not).

9 hours ago, davidy12 said:

PS: Out of curiosity, the docking target, could you guys make a version without the struts?

Should be easy enough.

1 minute ago, Zorg said:

er I think all the historical Saturn and Apollo parts are in game now. For Skylab I've been meaning to do the parasol/sunshade but apart from that everything else is in game. The Skylab workshop IVA may or may not make an initial release (probably not).

cheers, I was a bit lost on what components were completed since the issues on github haven't been updated in a while (some of the parts for the saturn v stack are still unticked)

Really digging the new upgrades, but waiting on the full release. Any date on that?

BTW, I remember reading somewhere that one of the first upgrades planned for the IRL Saturn V was to ditch the fins on the 1st stage. It was shown that inflight stability met or exceeded expectations. The fins ended up being redundant and created more drag and weight than they were worth. The same source I read indicated that the 2nd production run of the Saturn V would have most likely deleted them, and would have continued the efforts at weight reduction for the entire vehicle. When combined with the new F-1A engines (already in development) you get a respectable performance upgrade for minimal development time, risk, and cost. 

Sigh. What a missed opportunity.

9 hours ago, Naeth Kerman said:

Just wondering, are stretched S-IC and S-II tanks planned? As well as 6x S-IC and 7x S-II engine mounts. 

Yes, stretched are planned. I don't know if I can make a 6x S-1C - the side counts of the models might make that a bit of a bear to pull off. The 7x S-II mount is already modeled, it just needs some extra textures made for the areas where the AO doesn't match up.

8 hours ago, Beccab said:

5 hours ago, Zorg said:

Speaking for myself I have no plans to make another rocket family. I do want to redo the atlas engines as mentioned previously plus redo some of the hardware and add some stuff. Plus I have a couple more non historical skylab stuff to do and IVAs. Beyond that perhaps a probe or two. By the time thats all done will have to see where we are with respect to a KSP2 release date.

Not off the top of my head, but, uh, trust us there's a lot of stuff left to make. We're not running out of ideas any time soon.

2 hours ago, x170doom said:

just a quick question regarding the historical apollo/saturn/skylab parts. are there any historical parts not yet in game or are all the historical parts and variants present?

2 hours ago, x170doom said:

cheers, I was a bit lost on what components were completed since the issues on github haven't been updated in a while (some of the parts for the saturn v stack are still unticked)

Yeah I always hesitate to check off stuff from those lists - for instance the S-1C mount *just* got switching last night.

2 hours ago, derega16 said:

Is S-1D stage and half mount on your current plan?

The what?

43 minutes ago, DaveyJ576 said:

Really digging the new upgrades, but waiting on the full release. Any date on that?

None at the moment, still a good bit of stuff to do (Eyes parts, AJ-260, can't remember what else). I know I'd like to get a release out before we start getting too crazy with adding new-new stuff (not just revamps).

9 hours ago, Beccab said:

At least for the moment, our to-do list is pretty much filled with revamps (mostly Apollo), probes, and a couple new Apollo parts. I’ve been doing a lot of probes lately and I have a lot more I plan to do for BDB and beyond. As for beyond probes, I am planning on revamping the newer Centaur variants that are in BDB.

As for rockets families not in BDB, there’s nothing currently planned that at least I’m aware  for BDB. That being said, eventually I want to make the fairing base and decoupler for MDD Barbarian. I also briefly considered the idea of potentially doing Vulcan, but my current to-do list is already big enough, plus I don’t think it’d be a good idea to do until Vulcan launches, and/or there are more pictures of flight-ready hardware for Vulcan itself as well as new Centaur for Vulcan. But no promises on that in the slightest. 

7 hours ago, Zorg said:

Honestly I’d say just modify the K0110 IVA and add some new props and revamp the textures.