[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

16 minutes ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Has there been an "author-intended" layout shown or built for the two historical sim bay formats with the new experiments? 

official craft files and wiki documentation will come later, but these should get you going

E-Tc6ipVEBANoBC?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

E-TdHxQVEBUtjui?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Left is 15/16 and right is 17

9 minutes ago, Zorg said:

official craft files and wiki documentation will come later, but these should get you going

E-Tc6ipVEBANoBC?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

E-TdHxQVEBUtjui?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Left is 15/16 and right is 17

Is there any info on what would have been on 18+, or were they cancelled too early for that?

2 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I don't know if I can make a 6x S-1C - the side counts of the models might make that a bit of a bear to pull off.

The 6x S-1C mount would have four F-1s on the outside (like regular Saturn) but have two F-1s in the middle instead of one (not sure if this is true, but if I remember correctly, it is)

3 minutes ago, Naeth Kerman said:

The 6x S-1C mount would have four F-1s on the outside (like regular Saturn) but have two F-1s in the middle instead of one (not sure if this is true, but if I remember correctly, it is)

Oh, right. I've seen that. It *might* be doable, actually?

8 hours ago, Zorg said:

Speaking for myself I have no plans to make another rocket family. I do want to redo the atlas engines as mentioned previously plus redo some of the hardware and add some stuff. Plus I have a couple more non historical skylab stuff to do and IVAs. Beyond that perhaps a probe or two. By the time thats all done will have to see where we are with respect to a KSP2 release date.

2 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Not off the top of my head, but, uh, trust us there's a lot of stuff left to make. We're not running out of ideas any time soon.

Glad to hear that BDB is still gonna keep chugging along. I was getting a bit nervous that the KSP modding scene was starting to die down now that KSP2 is on the horizon, especially with Nertea finally wrapping up their stuff, and that the Skyhawk Science System was gonna end up high and dry as a result, so hearing that you guys are gonna keep on going for now is pretty reassuring. :) 

Edited by CessnaSkyhawk

1 minute ago, CessnaSkyhawk said:

Glad to hear that BDB is still gonna keep chugging along. I was getting a bit nervous that the KSP modding scene was starting to die down now that KSP2 is on the horizon, especially with Nertea finally wrapping up their stuff, and that the Skyhawk Science System was gonna end up high and dry as a result, so hearing that you guys are gonna keep on going for now is pretty reassuring. :) 

We have good reason to be hopeful for KSP2 at this point, even if BDB winds up being something of a total conversion that ignores most of the late game additions.

As far as I'm concerned, we have until KSP2 comes out to do all the crazy stuff we always wanted to make but never have gotten around to - which is to say, additions to the Apollo and Saturn parts. Stay tuned :)

would you be willing to add a node to the top of the Apollo Subsatellite? I like to stick a antenna on there and use it as a relay and its a pain in the butt to get it centered.

also i feel like i make to many requests, should i dial it back?

6 minutes ago, zakkpaz said:

would you be willing to add a node to the top of the Apollo Subsatellite? I like to stick a antenna on there and use it as a relay and its a pain in the butt to get it centered.

Try the Editor Extensions mod. It has hotkeys for vertically and horizontally centering surface-attached parts. I can't play without it.

12 minutes ago, Naeth Kerman said:

A classic, to be sure.

31 minutes ago, zakkpaz said:

Nah, we don't spend enough time with this stuff to really think of all the alternate possibilities.

In an unexpected succession of events, ULA develops two new mighty rockets: the Centaur-Centaur and Centaurhopper
Centaurhopper is a testbed for the modified Centaur engine for sea level thrust that will be later used in the Centaur-Centaur. Why this test was made is unclear as the rocket is not reusable, but the results are described as "pretty nice" within industry leaders

Screenshot_8308.pngScreenshot_8316.pngScreenshot_8321.png
Screenshot_8326.pngScreenshot_8340.png
Successful landing!

Next up is Centaur-Centaur, which uses 9 sea level Centaur engine, an extended Centaur first stage tank and a single Centaur extendable noozle engine attached to a Centaur shorter stage. Every similarity to existing rockets is also purely coincidental.
Screenshot_8248.png
Screenshot_8250.png
Screenshot_8260.png
Screenshot_8266.pngScreenshot_8274.png
Screenshot_8285.png

1 hour ago, CessnaSkyhawk said:

I wouldnt consider mods like Near Future and Tantares dead so much as "feature complete". Its a good thing in a way especially for a tech tree maker since you dont need to keep chasing the latest updates for those mods :) 

2 hours ago, Beccab said:

Is there any info on what would have been on 18+, or were they cancelled too early for that?

I've no idea, though to be fair I've never looked.

47 minutes ago, Beccab said:

In an unexpected succession of events, ULA develops two new mighty rockets: the Centaur-Centaur and Centaurhopper

Thats not a Centaur-Centaur, this is a Centaur-Centaur  :P

1 hour ago, zakkpaz said:

We dont mind reasonable (and polite) requests, that sounds easy enough.

2 minutes ago, Zorg said:

I've no idea, though to be fair I've never looked.

Take this with a grain of salt since this is from memory and off the cuff: As far as I know, the science experiments were some of the last things finalized for each mission. Something that gets lost quite often is that most of the proposals we see for upgraded Saturns, etc, are all from the early-mid 60s. By the late 60s the fate of Apollo is already more or less sealed. The decision to launch Skylab as a dry workshop, which essentially counted on there being Saturn Vs left over from the initial order, was made around the same time the Apollo 8 mission flew. So by the time you get to Apollo 17 in 1972, those missions were long dead.

I'm sure there were scientists who had plenty of more payloads they wanted to fly, even upset over not being able to squeeze in on the flights that did happen, but if they had proposals I wouldn't know where to find them. I've never seen anything about it, though I also have never really looked into it.

Centaurhopper is a testbed for the modified Centaur engine for sea level thrust that will be later used in the Centaur-Centaur. Why this test was made is unclear as the rocket is not reusable, but the results are described as "pretty nice" within industry leaders

Screenshot_8308.pngScreenshot_8316.pngScreenshot_8321.png
Screenshot_8326.pngScreenshot_8340.png
Successful landing!

Next up is Centaur-Centaur, which uses 9 sea level Centaur engine, an extended Centaur first stage tank and a single Centaur extendable noozle engine attached to a Centaur shorter stage. Every similarity to existing rockets is also purely coincidental.
Screenshot_8248.png
Screenshot_8250.png
Screenshot_8260.png
Screenshot_8266.pngScreenshot_8274.png
Screenshot_8285.png

I like the similarities to *REDACTED*. Wait, is that *REDACTED* as a *REDACTED*?

1 hour ago, Zorg said:

Thats not a Centaur-Centaur, this is a Centaur-Centaur  :P

after like 2 years I finally understand centaur-centaur, idk why it took so long

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

Since I know what you're on about - the artwork with the airbrakes depicts a full S-1C, not an S-1D's engine pack.

fzUslWd.png

Reusable S-1C??????

GIMME THAT! (well... actuallly I can already build it :P )

The connection ports (geometry only) on the base of the S-IC engine mount have swapped sides now, such that the dual ports side is now facing south, and the single ported side faces north, which is opposite from the MLP attach nodes for the tail service masts. Mentioning in case this was unintended, as it's a change from previous builds.

15 minutes ago, davidy12 said:

Was this a real proposal???

it was one of the many proposals for S-1C recovery, ranging from drag brakes, parachutes, hydrogen filled balloons, air capture via helicopters, and more.

3741c.jpg

Edited by Jcking