[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

So I was wondering, is there any chance you guys are going to make the toasted version a bit more.. toasted.

IMG_0335.jpg

Note: I have fairly easy access to the US space and rocket center in Huntsville so if you would like me to get some pictures I can

Side note: the SM is somewhat reflective and I would love to see that in game

Edited by ballisticfox0

37 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

I'd hazard it's a root part issue.

The LEM cockpit is in the proper orientation up until you dock with it, and it isn't the root part (note that it has to have crew in the cockpit in order to stay the same orientation from prior to docking).

Edited by Jcking

7 minutes ago, ballisticfox0 said:

So I was wondering, is there any chance you guys are going to make the toasted version a bit more.. toasted.

Note: I have fairly easy access to the US space and rocket center in Huntsville so if you would like me to get some pictures I can

"Toasted" is for the Skylab Apollo, which started turning brown after several weeks of space exposure.

The SM is somewhat metallic but not in the same way the CM is. With the limited amount of ability we have to control and represent metallic materials in KSP, we're going to keep the SM using the current shader. It will shine, but not reflect.

9 hours ago, Zorg said:

Just want to confirm if this problem only exists with the hinged SLA or the jettisionable panel version as well?

It seems to exist solely for the Jettisonable panel version.

I think I found a somewhat good illustration for this.

Methodology:

I tried 4 different launches, with upgraded S1b's (1973 H-1's and J2-s's) to try to ensure orbit. Launches used non-pvg mechjeb, attempting a 130km orbit at 32 degree inclination. (Because that's what I'm comfortable with, and something I know can work, and I've found pvg to be finicky and I wanted repeatable results.). 2 with the edit, 2 without, 2 with the petals, 2 with jettison-able, you get the picture.

Both edited S1b's got into orbit with 560m/s for the petal and 579m/s for the jettison-able (the petal adapter being 0.194t heavier)

The unedited Petal S1b got into orbit with 535m/s. The unedited jettison-able, even with 1973 engines and J2-s's, still failed to get into orbit.

Here are pics of the last 2 flight profiles, but with mechjeb flight recorder active and showing Drag Loss. I took screenshots at 2 min into each flight to compare. Try to guess which is which.

Spoiler

OHQELu2.png

Spoiler

C3Hd8IU.png

@ballisticfox0

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the Apollo museum pieces only look that way because the outer layers on the top half were removed after recovery. If you look at pictures of Apollo capsules in the ocean you can still see extensive areas of silver tape, and the non-silver areas seem to be a darker shade than the pale orangish (of the unburnt heat shield resin?) that they look like today. You can really see the difference comparing the Apollo capsules with the Skylab capsules, which seem to have been left mostly alone.

34 minutes ago, mozartbeatle said:

It seems to exist solely for the Jettisonable panel version.

I completely spaced out on the fact that you guys had been talking about SLAM drag issues while we were also talking about PVG. My working 1B that gets to orbit with PVG was using the hinged SLAM.

I swapped it out for the jettisonable version, and all hell broke loose. I've tried 4 times and I can't even get the J2 ignited because there's not enough ullage with 4 SRMs and the 1B APS units. So yeah the jettisonable version of the slam changes everything.

2 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

"Toasted" is for the Skylab Apollo, which started turning brown after several weeks of space exposure.

The SM is somewhat metallic but not in the same way the CM is. With the limited amount of ability we have to control and represent metallic materials in KSP, we're going to keep the SM using the current shader. It will shine, but not reflect.

Ah, is there any chance you will add a post-reentry variant at some point?

Understandable, I hope at some point we’ll get better lighting and reflection shaders but I doubt it’ll happen before ksp 2. 

31 minutes ago, derega16 said:

How TH can 3XU fly straight? It's looking unsymmetrical

I think that's just an artifact of 3 way symmetry, exacerbated by the wish to have a 33ft diameter payload in between the MS-II Stages, in addition to the 99ft payload bay diameter.

Edited by Jcking

4 minutes ago, ballisticfox0 said:

Ah, is there any chance you will add a post-reentry variant at some point?

Understandable, I hope at some point we’ll get better lighting and reflection shaders but I doubt it’ll happen before ksp 2. 

Maybe? No promises.

And yeah, a lot of this winds up just being "hopefully we'll be able to make things better in KSP2"

4 hours ago, ballisticfox0 said:

IMG_0335.jpg

Based Huntsville inhabitant. Have they finished restoring all the vehicles in the rocket garden? I drove past USSRC about three weeks ago and saw that Pathfinder was still missing from its stack, but couldn’t tell if anything else was gone.

23 minutes ago, pTrevTrevs said:

Based Huntsville inhabitant. Have they finished restoring all the vehicles in the rocket garden? I drove past USSRC about three weeks ago and saw that Pathfinder was still missing from its stack, but couldn’t tell if anything else was gone.

I don't they've ever had everything refurbished at the same time. Pathfinder is still being refurbished and probably will be for the next couple months at least (probably a year or two), there were a couple rockets missing, notably the Mercury-Redstone, but there was still a lot of neat stuff there. Got some pictures of the skylab sitting outside, the saturn rockets (indoors and outside), some of the F-1, J-2 and J-2X engines and  a couple of the indoor LM mockup. 

Edited by ballisticfox0

5 hours ago, mozartbeatle said:

@ballisticfox0

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the Apollo museum pieces only look that way because the outer layers on the top half were removed after recovery. If you look at pictures of Apollo capsules in the ocean you can still see extensive areas of silver tape, and the non-silver areas seem to be a darker shade than the pale orangish (of the unburnt heat shield resin?) that they look like today. You can really see the difference comparing the Apollo capsules with the Skylab capsules, which seem to have been left mostly alone.

yes and much of the white in the "burnt" APollo capsule is actually caused by reactions with the salt water and the glue to the applique used for the silver insulation.

1 hour ago, ballisticfox0 said:

I don't they've ever had everything refurbished at the same time. Pathfinder is still being refurbished and probably will be for the next couple months at least (probably a year or two), there were a couple rockets missing, notably the Mercury-Redstone, but there was still a lot of neat stuff there. Got some pictures of the skylab sitting outside, the saturn rockets (indoors and outside), some of the F-1, J-2 and J-2X engines and  a couple of the indoor LM mockup. 

Wait, real J-2X or fake "SLS- J-2X"????

Remember, J-2X was the name of a rocket engine family in the 1960s (we have one of the 3 variants in BDB!)

1 hour ago, ballisticfox0 said:

I was going to school in Huntsville when they were refurbishing the vertical Saturn V. For months it looked like somebody had dumped pancake batter or something all over it, because of the primer they used before the paint. Saturn I had a similar situation but it didn't last as long.

12 minutes ago, Entr8899 said:

What are the other two?

J-2X "Aerobell"  A semi flexible bell extension.   this is not similar to modern 1,2,3 part bell extensions that we are used to as the material was flexible and actually changed shape during extension

J-2X "Telescoping"  A multi segment bell extension that was about 4-8 inches (estimate) thick .   This was like 10 segments... so much like the 2 or 3 segment extensions we have but more complicated and harder to do (both IRL and in game)

J-2X "Airmat"  What is in BDB a flexible curtain that could fold up and would expand when the turbopump exhaust was ejected into it.

J-2X_NozzleConcepts.png

Double post but whatever.

Intelsat III F-1:

FkEmZT4.png

PW8hOCQ.png

N1JCJUn.png

Apollo 7:

8GbCJ72.png

X4p7Ilm.png

I should also note that I had a little trouble getting to orbit with the Saturn IB. To my shame, I had to use propellant cheats to finish the ascent.

W4V3oVs.png

K1kYKcs.png

BWRk9CG.png

T7Davka.png

dneWDBZ.png

zv9Bfif.png

uibemC1.png

"Keep those cards and letters coming, folks."

Rki2nuX.png

sM6BevC.png

blY9gou.png

F73EW1s.png

1 minute ago, Steffan514 said:

Sweet mother of Atlas! :o

wouldn't that be Atlas's Bouncing Big Baby Boi?

Also a brief update on my Space Station and a RFI from others using the Apollo branch of the Github!

oi0I8ip.jpg

You will notice that I have Zarya docked BELOW the Skylab core instead of inline with it.     I am unable to dock Active to Passive, Passive to Passive or Active to Active with my CADS docking ports currently and am seeking info if this is happening to others as well.   I launched the MOL based tug and Probe docking port as a test of other BDB docking ports (every one but CADS is working.)   I launched 4 different launches to put a APAS port inline via the HABTECH adapter (I forget what the neck down part is called ATM)  

Saturn Shuttle & Skylab - A Hell of A Trio!

dLUHUjk.jpegiwzbjxf.jpegg3qzIVt.jpege2MkOb0.jpeg3xGGqAR.jpegeaZHl63.jpeg

These are a few screenshots from a mission to document the Saturn Shuttle concept and a Fictional Shuttle Skylab mission. If you want to check out the complete mission in detail you can find it here. I did this mission to play around and show off the beautiful work being done on the Saturn Revamp with my beloved Space Shuttle. Seriously, you guys knocked the revamp out of the park and I cant thank you guys enough for it! :D 

3 hours ago, Kuiper_Belt said:

Saturn Shuttle & Skylab - A Hell of A Trio!

eaZHl63.jpeg

These are a few screenshots from a mission to document the Saturn Shuttle concept and a Fictional Shuttle Skylab mission. If you want to check out the complete mission in detail you can find it here. I did this mission to play around and show off the beautiful work being done on the Saturn Revamp with my beloved Space Shuttle. Seriously, you guys knocked the revamp out of the park and I cant thank you guys enough for it! :D 

Really cool seeing the CADS on Habtech parts :)