[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

At the expense of the Nova C-8, this wonderful (yes, yes, I am very angry when this missile is considered unworthy of the BDB, while a bunch of garbage parts like the Nimbus or would-be spy laboratories are considered "useful")

As a last resort, Nova can be built using SSTU or procedural parts (or both)
Tonight I was able to sketch Nova proving that the idea is quite viable.

Kerbal-Space-Program-Screenshot-2021-11-

Spoiler

I have 32GB RAM and I can install a lot of mods, but for people with less capacity, there is a theoretical way out - just remove the unnecessary parts of the SSTU, leaving only what is needed, thereby reducing the file size.
Or use procedural parts. This is a very useful and convenient thing, it does not take up much space and, in my opinion, should be installed by EVERYONE for all occasions.

8 minutes ago, EvilSpace said:

At the expense of the Nova C-8, this wonderful (yes, yes, I am very angry when this missile is considered unworthy of the BDB, while a bunch of garbage parts like the Nimbus or would-be spy laboratories are considered "useful")

lol

EDIT: Ah right, almost forgot...

s3mcG8N.png

Edited by CobaltWolf

7 minutes ago, EvilSpace said:

Reveal hidden contents

I have 32GB RAM and I can install a lot of mods, but for people with less capacity, there is a theoretical way out - just remove the unnecessary parts of the SSTU, leaving only what is needed, thereby reducing the file size.
Or use procedural parts. This is a very useful and convenient thing, it does not take up much space and, in my opinion, should be installed by EVERYONE for all occasions.

lol

Augumented performance Space Shuttle (Martin Marietta concept)

Put simply, you take a a Titan first stage, then rework it massively like in the graphics below and fix the asymmetrical thrust while increasing performance at the same time. Hey, as long as it works:P

Spoiler

titan-shuttle.jpgststit80.jpg

Mnt2Z9K.pngACnZMIi.pngBDudHd2.pngtXjkkjr.png6A2Oz3w.pngg0agapq.png

Edited by Beccab

Did I just decouple the SG-RV2 Parachute from the return capsule? Before reentry? So staging it does not arm it, it decouples it. Hmm...

Edit:

That specific parachute needs to be rotated 180° to point upside down, then attached to the return capsule.

Edited by Gordon Dry

2 hours ago, EvilSpace said:

I would personally prefer parts from a successful, flown sattelite program and parts for a extensively studied program that had a real chance to fly than literally just a bigger saturn 5 with some more engines and fuel, without any real payload to launch on, while it uses tank diameters that would be exclusively used by it, and not by any other parts

Apollo 8's Lunar Voyage:

BrQPo0l.png

LN0ZakD.png

ICd8KLg.png

I get that it wouldn't be a high priority, but it would be nice if we could get something like the Lunar Module Test Article to use as ballast for Saturn V flights without the LM. Right now the S-IVB isn't even needed to reach orbit when the LM isn't aboard.

hsbLW1n.png

K7UJah3.png

I've also noticed that when triggering the SLA through staging, the SIM bay shield also deploys. I'm not sure if this is intentional or not, but it's kind of annoying on flights that don't use the SIM bay. So far I've been able to work around it by triggering the four SLA panels by themselves and then decoupling the base manually through the right-click menu.

xq30gdo.png

LOI at approximately 150km over the far side, with a targeted periselene of 26km. A second burn is to be performed at periselene to circularize the orbit at 26km. The insertion is done this was so as not to spoil the free-return trajectory.

XckSMnt.png

Tsiolkovsky, photographed by the Apollo 8 crew during the first revolution.

fXsW4EF.png

Obligatory Earthrise photograph.

VgWz2c9.png

Apollo 8 in its final orbit, in which it will remain for the next day. I believe the low dark grey area to the top-left of the image is Mare Fecunditatis, although it could also be Mare Nubium, if I remember correctly.

evBMCX2.png

Farside craters photographed at Lunar sunrise.

[Apparently forgot to take photos of TEI/Transearth journey]

ZmYs6gT.png

J5Rv2nE.png

All three crewmembers actually passed out during reentry, with the peak G-force exceeding 11g. A shallower trajectory and the CM's lifting body aerodynamics will be used on future flights to ensure crew safety.

Da6mmWC.png

pNcmA0J.png

Spalshdown in the South Pacific. Reentry accuracy is ensured by MechJeb's landing guidance, which can predict the ship's splashdown point for a given TEI time even while still in lunar orbit.

6 hours ago, EvilSpace said:

Reveal hidden contents

Wonderful, seems like you have the Saturn C8 you need! Toodles!

Spoiler

And to quote the wise words of @Pappystein: “C8 is not Nova!!!”

6 hours ago, EvilSpace said:

You really think having that kind of attitude will increase the likelihood of C-8 being added? And I think the vast majority of people here would prefer those "garbage" parts to the C-8.

7 hours ago, EvilSpace said:

C-8 can easily made without SSTU.  Third stage from BDB, the S-IVB, second stage from BDB, use the S-IC in place of the S-II-8, and the first stage is kitbashed from the 7.5m parts from Near Future Launch Vehicles.

3 hours ago, Grimmas said:

Yea, don't diss Nimbus, it's one of my favorite satellites in the early game :)

NIMBUS GANG

NIMBUS GANG

Seriously though Nimbus is hella useful; I like to use its frame to build a lunar communications relay for far-side landings, or to carry high-powered scanning equipment that can’t fit on a standard Lunar Orbiter bus. Will elaborate more once I get to Apollo 17/18 in my career.

1 hour ago, pTrevTrevs said:

NIMBUS GANG

NIMBUS GANG

Seriously though Nimbus is hella useful; I like to use its frame to build a lunar communications relay for far-side landings, or to carry high-powered scanning equipment that can’t fit on a standard Lunar Orbiter bus. Will elaborate more once I get to Apollo 17/18 in my career.

Nimbus is my go to satellite bus for early career.  Super useful!

17 hours ago, EvilSpace said:

Reveal hidden contents

Blasphemy is one of the adjectives i'd use. Not for the C8, but for the insult to the probes part kit. SPECIALLY Nimbus

31 minutes ago, derega16 said:

Test C-2 and C-3 again

Paylod performance (without S-V) are

100x100 JNSQ

C-2 11t

C-3  (2 F-1) 18t

C-3 (3 F-1+ increase fuel load) 30t

Do you use all BDB components, or do you include other mods to get your configs?

18 hours ago, Beccab said:

Augumented performance Space Shuttle (Martin Marietta concept)

Put simply, you take a a Titan first stage, then rework it massively like in the graphics below and fix the asymmetrical thrust while increasing performance at the same time. Hey, as long as it works:P

Hide contents

titan-shuttle.jpgststit80.jpg

Mnt2Z9K.pngACnZMIi.pngBDudHd2.pngtXjkkjr.png6A2Oz3w.pngg0agapq.png

While the final product would have looked quite a bit different (the 4 tanks were of two sizes, and the engines were DIAGONAL to alleviate some of the asymmetry you were talking about,)  This is very well done!

Oh the Final version would have been jettisoned at fuel burn out as well to save precious dV.   I think there was an option talked about for recovering the booster (as they have only enough fuel to get to about 15km altitude.

UgZHCfv.png

Edited by Pappystein

6 minutes ago, DaveyJ576 said:

Do you use all BDB components, or do you include other mods to get your configs?

BDB and NFLV on C-3

@CobaltWolf Is the config of AJ260 unfinished? both length have the same thrust, full length one don't  even have enough TWR to do anything.

Edited by derega16

55 minutes ago, derega16 said:

@CobaltWolf Is the config of AJ260 unfinished? both length have the same thrust, full length one don't  even have enough TWR to do anything.

There was definitely some weirdness when I was working on it? I thought B9 switching thrust replaced the original value, but in my testing it added the value. Sounds like it should have been the former? Blugh...

EDIT: @derega16or whomever it may concern, I updated the config to have the proper double thrust for the full length version. Let me know if it performs as expected? In my testing it showed as having ~11k thrust (3870 kN base + 7740 kN B9 switch), instead of 7740 kN like it should be. Of course it's also possible it's the UI on Mechjeb/KER that's messing up.

Edited by CobaltWolf

I spent my day reading source docs on the various Saturn derivative studies in the 60s and summarised them all on the wiki here https://github.com/friznit/Unofficial-BDB-Wiki/issues/60#issuecomment-945790528

I will probably simplify that a whole lot for the actual wiki build guide, given that most of them are simply different B9 Partswitches on the fuel tanks and engine plates.

22 minutes ago, Friznit said:

I spent my day reading source docs on the various Saturn derivative studies in the 60s and summarised them all on the wiki here https://github.com/friznit/Unofficial-BDB-Wiki/issues/60#issuecomment-945790528

I will probably simplify that a whole lot for the actual wiki build guide, given that most of them are simply different B9 Partswitches on the fuel tanks and engine plates.

Aside from the Saturn C-2 having two completely different versions (pre Silverstein and post Silverstein commission) and the missing NASA S-III from said C-2 and the S-IVC   that is a good collection of data there Friznit

Yes the ETS S-IVC should really be the S-IVD :D     NASA designed/designated a S-IVC as a 14.7 (ksp scale) meter long stage with a single J-2S engine.   That would latter be rolled into the MLV as the MS-IVB-1A or -3 (at 14.67m KSP scale)    Please note lengths be very subjective in space documents so... 

I am going to, this weekend, submit a FOIA for the Prelim design of the Saturn C-2 from 1960 to hopefully get more insight and design information on the Saturn S-III stage.

Edited by Pappystein