[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

3 hours ago, Galileo chiu said:

If Blue Origin built New Shepard in 1990

Will we ever see things from For All Mankind?

3 hours ago, SpaceFace545 said:

Lmao

Its already been stated that FAM stuff is highly unlikely. I do believe that cobalt just doesn’t like the show, can’t blame him.

I personally mostly enjoyed the show for what it was (s1 at least), a Ronald D Moore show about social issues with some space related set dressing :P But regardless of what one may think about the quality of the show, the thing is that there are a lot of real world whacky advanced apollo/saturn/skylab stuff we could be (and we are) doing as opposed to stuff from FAM which ultimately does not even turn out to even work once we look at it critically in terms of balancing etc. Again I never expected that level of fidelity from a tv show like that but we do for BDB.

Edited by Zorg

While it’s on my mind, I’ve got a quick question about the later Deltas. I know on Delta II flights with nine boosters, only six were lit on the ground the other three were air-started. I’m wondering when this profile started to see use. Was it a standard procedure as early as the Super Six and the Delta 900 or was it only introduced later once more powerful Castors and GEMs entered service?

Kind of racking my brain over this, since I’m starting to fly Delta 0100s and I’m too much of a pedant for authenticity to let this slide.

17 minutes ago, Teslamax said:

I don't see a Power Module... ;-)

What?

14 minutes ago, pTrevTrevs said:

While it’s on my mind, I’ve got a quick question about the later Deltas. I know on Delta II flights with nine boosters, only six were lit on the ground the other three were air-started. I’m wondering when this profile started to see use. Was it a standard procedure as early as the Super Six and the Delta 900 or was it only introduced later once more powerful Castors and GEMs entered service?

Kind of racking my brain over this, since I’m starting to fly Delta 0100s and I’m too much of a pedant for authenticity to let this slide.

Search it on google, use Wikipedia

I've been making progress on cleaning up a lot of the textures for Titan. I did most of the legwork the last time I touched up the titan textures (several months ago) but I am finishing off some things I didn't get around to last time (especially the UA120 motors and titan IV):
screenshot73.png
screenshot74.png
screenshot96.png

I also redid the Titan 23G/IIIB structural piece and 23G second stage texture:
screenshot111.png
screenshot112.png
screenshot113.png
I’m proud of how the 23G adapter  turned out and I think it really goes well with the new 23G second stage texture. Always happy to do stuff for 23G as it’s one of the most underrated/coolest Titans imo.

Edited by Invaderchaos

5 hours ago, Galileo chiu said:

What?

25Kw power tower addition if they had been able to perform the Skylab reboost. I am planning to make this for the second phase of skylab stuff.

5 hours ago, pTrevTrevs said:

Would suggest looking here: https://www.spacelaunchreport.com/thorflew.html

Edited by Zorg

9 hours ago, birdog357 said:

Are we just gonna gloss over space shuttles to the moon? Never seen it, but have read synopsis. Pretty sure I recall they took Columbia, the heaviest of the birds, to the moon?

From what I could tell, they tried to make it out that the Shuttle refuelled at Skylab. So they tried to make it work and ended up with more issues

21 minutes ago, Adam-Kerman said:

Atlas!

someone say...

ATLAS?!

11 minutes ago, Cdodders said:

From what I could tell, they tried to make it out that the Shuttle refuelled at Skylab. So they tried to make it work and ended up with more issues

What would have worked better was if the shuttle took them to some sort of nuclear orbital craft that took them to the moon, like the original Space Transportation System concept.

17 minutes ago, TaintedLion said:

someone say...

ATLAS?!

What would have worked better was if the shuttle took them to some sort of nuclear orbital craft that took them to the moon, like the original Space Transportation System concept.

No need for nuclear, normal space tugs work just fine. For example

Early Lunar Access (lunar lander on Shuttle, TLI stage on a Titan):
zela.jpg
Space Exploration Initiative:
sei3.pngsei.png

moonmdvb.gif
Cool Orbital Transfer Vehicles with the same purpose that I forgot the origin of:
otv_nasa_2.pngotv_nasa_3.pngotv86psf.jpg

10 hours ago, Beccab said:

I believe in Season 2 they were just trying too hard not to be another Apollo program alternate history and budgetary restrictions made them to use the Shuttle for as much stock footage as possible. I loved season 1 though

I think they just used the TTL shuttle design as an iconic thing that viewers would recognize, rather than because it made sense. Maybe some concept artist was showing off pictures of the DC-3 anf some non-technical person said "but that doesn't look like the shuttle!"

17 minutes ago, billbobjebkirk said:

I think they just used the TTL shuttle design as an iconic thing that viewers would recognize, rather than because it made sense. Maybe some concept artist was showing off pictures of the DC-3 anf some non-technical person said "but that doesn't look like the shuttle!"

This is fairly off-topic now but the reason they used the shuttle (according to Moore himself) was because it was going to be either a) reuse the existing shuttle set and stock shuttle footage to cut costs or b) design a completely new vehicle and massively cut back on other parts of the show like the moon base set. It was a budget thing.

14 minutes ago, Grimmas said:

This is fairly off-topic now but the reason they used the shuttle (according to Moore himself) was because it was going to be either a) reuse the existing shuttle set and stock shuttle footage to cut costs or b) design a completely new vehicle and massively cut back on other parts of the show like the moon base set. It was a budget thing.

Agreed, that's why personally I'm not too critical of the shuttle to the moon (they should have kept the ET though, there was a NASA study on that exact architecture. It was found to be a poor choice, but doable).

Pathfinder, though...

It's fine to hand wave something, it's a TV show. But this one handwaved:

- Pathfinder having enough fuel to reach orbit, let alone the moon

- Pathfinder having enough thrust to reach orbit from a plane

- the reason Pathfinder has those jet engines, given they are never used during liftoff and redundant during landing

- not just putting nuclear engines on a crewed shuttle (which is fine ish), but also landing them on earth with the crew and reusing them despite the radiations

You want a plane launched nuclear space shuttle? Sure, handwave the last thing, add drop tanks and replace the jet engines with stuff that has a decent thrust. Then use the NERVA in orbit

Edited by Beccab

8 hours ago, TaintedLion said:

someone say...

ATLAS?!

Or they could have gone balls to the wall and used a Saturn-Shuttle with an S-II stage. Would have loved to see that kind of insanity.

Edited by pTrevTrevs