[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

Those antennas look good, as if they are made from stock.

I like the design, on what real life antennas are they based on, that would be rather intresting to tell or what you used for the design (idea)

I am looking forward to the next update.

A tip, dont try to overkill the amount of antennas, you dont have a lot at the moment (a lot would be enough to scare jebediah)

If you focus on that it would not really help.

You could try to add a radial reaction wheel or a simple tank to get another update out while you work on the camera and the engine

I think I am done with antennas for the foreseeable future. :) I'm considering cutting one or two of them out as it is. If you're asking about what antennas inspired them, there are comments in the cfg files for what each of them represents.

I'd like to revisit the textures, probably before the next release. Texturing isn't really my strong suit so that's the primary thing I've been working to improve.

I have several engines I'd like to make, that already have roughed out models. Those will probably be the next release while I continue researching cameras.

Well, today was a busy day!

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Added Redstone based engine with control surface, and a small radial engine that's basically a half size Mk55. As before the update is available on KerbalStuff.

0.03 (Redstone)

-Resized Sienno parts to .125m in anticipation of the Taerobee WAC

-Added PGM Liquid Fuel Engine - 1.25m, early rocket. Less powerful than LVTs but cheaper + more efficient.

-Added PGM Control Surface - Winglet + Control surface for PGM Engine. Includes thrust vanes. Because I like ya a lot.

-Added B109-D Radial Engine - Basically a half sized Mk55, unlocks slightly earlier. Helps add control authority and TWR to rockets.

-Made it so Sienno probe core actually works with Remotetech.

On a small note, I'm really happy with how the textures came out today. As I've said before in the thread, I feel texturing is my biggest shortcoming so it is nice to feel like I'm getting the hang of it.

Edited by CobaltWolf

For Camera functions beyond science, have you looked at HullCam VDS? Also, BD Armory has an independently controlled targeting camera module. (On BDA: It's a FANTASTIC camera system. Well, IMHO. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be an independent module and has prerequisites to work. I didn't mess to much with it, though.) I'm not sure how far you want to go with this mod (i.e. plug-in dependencies and cross-mod integration), but there you go.

In particular (WARNING: trying to sell you an idea/persuade you for personal gain ^_~), I like HullCam VDS but find the selection of actual camera parts lacking. This is mainly because I build SSTOs more often than not, so aerodynamics (form and function) matter to me.

Some reference material:

https://travelforaircraft.wordpress.com/2013/07/15/tomcat-out-of-its-den-an-f-14-walkaround-write/

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commercial-vehicles-india/166014-defender-fleet-grumman-f-14-tomcat.html

On both, scroll to the middle of the page and you'll see pictures of the F-14's forward facing camera. There's also the TARPS: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tactical_Airborne_Reconnaissance_Pod_System

Not very rocket-y, but perhaps some inspiration. (I chose the F-14 because that was the only aircraft I knew of offhand that had a camera system.)

Good luck with the mod and learning!

good simple parts pack :D

Thank you!

For Camera functions beyond science, have you looked at HullCam VDS? Also, BD Armory has an independently controlled targeting camera module. (On BDA: It's a FANTASTIC camera system. Well, IMHO. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be an independent module and has prerequisites to work. I didn't mess to much with it, though.) I'm not sure how far you want to go with this mod (i.e. plug-in dependencies and cross-mod integration), but there you go.

In particular (WARNING: trying to sell you an idea/persuade you for personal gain ^_~), I like HullCam VDS but find the selection of actual camera parts lacking. This is mainly because I build SSTOs more often than not, so aerodynamics (form and function) matter to me.

Some reference material:

https://travelforaircraft.wordpress.com/2013/07/15/tomcat-out-of-its-den-an-f-14-walkaround-write/

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/commercial-vehicles-india/166014-defender-fleet-grumman-f-14-tomcat.html

On both, scroll to the middle of the page and you'll see pictures of the F-14's forward facing camera. There's also the TARPS: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tactical_Airborne_Reconnaissance_Pod_System

Not very rocket-y, but perhaps some inspiration. (I chose the F-14 because that was the only aircraft I knew of offhand that had a camera system.)

Good luck with the mod and learning!

Ahhh I remember reading Tom Clancy's Red Storm Rising and they're talking about the Tomcats watching soviet bombers 30 miles away or so on their TV cameras. Never really understood what they were talking about.

I appreciate the material but TV / footage cameras were not the direction I wanted to take the cameras. I wanted to take still frames. My primary inspirations were the first ever picture from space, taken from an airforce V2, and the first picture of the earth from the moon, taken by Lunar Orbiter 1, as well as the recent images taken by New Horizons of Pluto. I want to start with simple film cameras, and have progressively better cameras become available. Since they're still frame cameras, I don't think Hullcam would be appropriate, though I am looking into using it to support the camera experiments.

Good parts, I like how you matched the colors of stock with your parts

Thank you! I've been learning how to texture the parts to resemble stock. I don't think they look the same when viewed up close, as I used a different technique to add wear to them, but they look fine at normal game distances.

EDIT: Was trying to avoid homework this morning so I made a flag.

oxGHYGC.png

Edited by CobaltWolf

Well with the camera's

It might be a good idea to start off with biome based. Like that once you take a 'picture' you get shown a picture from the biome and that you fill the canister with it, And that once it is recovered or if it is send that the 'picture' is converted to science.

And after that you try to make a real time picture.

Well with the camera's

It might be a good idea to start off with biome based. Like that once you take a 'picture' you get shown a picture from the biome and that you fill the canister with it, And that once it is recovered or if it is send that the 'picture' is converted to science.

And after that you try to make a real time picture.

I think what I might end up doing is:

1. Figure out the camera design and modeling them. My enthusiasm is dying partially because I don't have a design for them that satisfies me.
  2. Just implementing them as normal experiments. Forget the canister for the time being. If I understand xmitDataScalar, I should just be able to set the value to 0 for the film based cameras, then set it higher for the cameras that can transmit images as digital. That gets them into the game and working. As before, the plan is to have wide angle and narrow angle images as separate experiments + lenses. Later parts include both as one.
  3. Once they're in and working, I may or may not try to get them working with a 3rd party plugin. They don't really fit with Hullcam, as explained above. They don't really fit in with Cacteye, because they're meant to point at the body they're orbiting. I am not a programmer and there will be no plugins made for this project.

EDIT: Fixed some stuff with the logo.

pNp7xdW.png

Edited by CobaltWolf

Well, you are the one working on it, and you problably have more experience.

But it sounds like a good plan. And dont worry about the models, you can always change them.

You could also have a basic frame on wich you can mount the lenses. This way you can have different types of lenses.

Also this allows for small probes with a 'build-in-camara' that is what it look like then.

Well, you are the one working on it, and you problably have more experience.

But it sounds like a good plan. And dont worry about the models, you can always change them.

You could also have a basic frame on wich you can mount the lenses. This way you can have different types of lenses.

Also this allows for small probes with a 'build-in-camara' that is what it look like then.

I'm not sure what you mean by basic frame? I'd like to avoid VAB bloat with these. I already have something like 4-5 parts for just two experiments.

Meanwhile...

Textures and models are WIP. Somewhat belated celebration of

, bringing MUOS more or less online. I know some people closely tied to the project, and the Atlas 5 4xx always looked so cool to me.

8SM0eiw.png

71XyF9U.png

B4RdpKE.png

You know, I'm pretty sure I recall seeing a mod that would let you take in-game pictures with cameras/telescopes. I don't recall its name...

BTW, Angel-125 did something with a "Film" resource of some sort for his Pathfinder Mod at one point (it's been changed since). It was used on a telescope for Surface Mining ops (basically checking for detailed concentration numbers, I think.) Perhaps he could give you some help?

HullCAM VDS might still be a good place to start for a camera plugin. Really, if you just removed the filters (or modified them), plug into the game's screenshot, and maybe use part of SCANsat system for rendering images and maps, you might be able to get a still-camera plugin going. Maybe high-end cameras would digital and can transmit the images back (RT support!) without need to recover the system/vessel (and expend a film resource; maybe Digital cameras would have a RAM/Buffer resource: take X numbers of pics out of Y size buffer. When X = Y, no more pics to take until buffer is flush by transmission back to KSC or is simply purged.)

Also, the reference images were for model inspiration as well, not just a HullCam inspired addon. ^_~ Pretty sure you were lamenting the lack of nice space cameras to model.

I mean with basic frame, a skeleton.

The frame of a normal camera is the thing you get when you remove the lens.

You could do it that when you have the image that the frame can process it to science if you dont want it to be returned

You know, I'm pretty sure I recall seeing a mod that would let you take in-game pictures with cameras/telescopes. I don't recall its name...

BTW, Angel-125 did something with a "Film" resource of some sort for his Pathfinder Mod at one point (it's been changed since). It was used on a telescope for Surface Mining ops (basically checking for detailed concentration numbers, I think.) Perhaps he could give you some help?

HullCAM VDS might still be a good place to start for a camera plugin. Really, if you just removed the filters (or modified them), plug into the game's screenshot, and maybe use part of SCANsat system for rendering images and maps, you might be able to get a still-camera plugin going. Maybe high-end cameras would digital and can transmit the images back (RT support!) without need to recover the system/vessel (and expend a film resource; maybe Digital cameras would have a RAM/Buffer resource: take X numbers of pics out of Y size buffer. When X = Y, no more pics to take until buffer is flush by transmission back to KSC or is simply purged.)

Also, the reference images were for model inspiration as well, not just a HullCam inspired addon. ^_~ Pretty sure you were lamenting the lack of nice space cameras to model.

Of the camera mods I know of:

LTech Scientific Industries - has a camera part with a unique camera functionality. Supports a film requirement for the part, but I can't find any documentation for it.

Hullcam VDS - uses a modified version of the LTech camera functionality for its science. It's definitely an option if I can figure it out, since it's up to date.

Cacteye - Allows taking pictures of far off planets using DOE, but that's not the functionality I want.

Tarsier - same issue as Cacteye.

I have not heard of Angel-125's telescope. I'll have to ask him. But honestly at the end of the day I'm not sure how complicated I want to make it. I already planned on having early cameras rely on film, which would need to be carried back and recovered on Kerbin. Later parts would be able to transmit the images back. Past that basic issue, I'm tentative to make the process too complicated. As cool as it would be to have to aim the camera, is it worth the extra effort / complication? It would be cool if you could get bonus science for photographing anomalies, which I believe is supported by LTech. At least, there are separate science defs for the anomalies.

Tentatively, the list of parts would be:

Wide angle film camera, narrow angle film camera, film return canister based on the Keyhole satellites.

Combination wide and narrow angle camera based on Lunar Orbiter's cameras. Can transmit but not for full return, as the images are poorly processed from analog to digital on the spacecraft prior to transmission. The way it did this conversion, and the program as a whole, are pretty cool.

Most advanced, a combination wide and narrow lens, with additional scientific instruments, based on Mariner 10. These images would be able to transmit for full return.

Perhaps one specially meant for EVA? :3

As stated earlier, I think my plan of action would be to just get them in game as a normal science experiment first and then worry about making them unique.

I mean with basic frame, a skeleton.

The frame of a normal camera is the thing you get when you remove the lens.

You could do it that when you have the image that the frame can process it to science if you dont want it to be returned

Ah, I've always heard it referred to as the body of the camera. I was thinking of having the wide angle and narrow angle lens share a frame / mount. By which I mean I'd model it separate and in Unity would just drag the lens model on before exporting the part into the game. So just two parts, but they have the same frame which saves on texturing / modeling.

I'm going to share a little story. Normally I wouldn't but it's my thread. I'm taking a character animation class right now. Normally it would just be animated pre-rigged characters, but my professor has been starting us with a warmup on rigging. I hate rigging. I am running out of days to rig this character. So naturally, I avoid it by sinking time into working on my KSP stuff.

So, in the continuing saga of me avoiding rigging work...

M9bdQrH.png

Atlas V is out! Download from KerbalStuff!

Javascript is disabled. View full album

0.04 (Atlas V) (9/10/2015)

-Finished texture updates that were unlisted in 0.03. Antennas should look a bit better now.

-Added Muo-2207 Liquid Engine - 2.5m engine based on the RD-180. For now it's a slightly more powerful Mainsail.

-Added Muo-2585 Fuel Tank - 2.5m fuel tank based on lower half of Atlas V CCB tank. Inbetween Jumbo-64 and X200-32.

-Added Tweakscale support to engines, Muo tank, PGM CS.

-Added BDB flag. It's a wurf.

-Fixed a few small cfg errors.

Edited by CobaltWolf

Awsome I like how the tank looks like the jumbo but slightly different

I also have compared it to pictures and it looks really well, you maybe should consider making the booster stages as well. That would really finish it.

The engine also looks good and the exhaust fumes also look well.

You maybe should consider adding more pictures, as well as pictures that show the parts in the VAB, and the engine specification (photo or discription) A lot of people like to see that before downloading

Awsome I like how the tank looks like the jumbo but slightly different

I also have compared it to pictures and it looks really well, you maybe should consider making the booster stages as well. That would really finish it.

The engine also looks good and the exhaust fumes also look well.

You maybe should consider adding more pictures, as well as pictures that show the parts in the VAB, and the engine specification (photo or discription) A lot of people like to see that before downloading

Thank you! The exhaust is the same as the mainsail. I hate editing cfgs :) The previous had a lot of preview images, I'll add a link.

By booster stage do you mean the Stage-0 SRBs or the Centaur? I had some ideas for the SRBs. My current problem is I have so many things I want to do and not enough time to model them. I'm not sure what I'm avoiding more at this point; homework or modeling cameras. :P On that note, however, I do have several lines on how to get them working. I will likely be busy this weekend but I will post an update once I know what's going to work.

You are fast at releasing stuff!

Say, would you do a stockalike Atlas or Delta series?

I've been working something like 4-8 hours a day on this stuff. I really, really, REALLY don't want to rig that stupid character. But actually, this wasn't that hard. It took about two hours to model the fuel tank and engine and about two more to texture it. The longest part by far is cleaning everything up and preparing for the release. I'll probably keep the mod as a dev thread until releases slow down - I don't want to have constant updates for people that want to just download and play. And it will definitely come grinding to a halt once Fallout 4 comes out. :)

EDIT: Forgot to answer your question. What Atlas and what Delta? I've been eyeing Thor/Delta and some associated parts for a bit. I actually have a few bits underway.

Edited by CobaltWolf

Thank you! The exhaust is the same as the mainsail. I hate editing cfgs :) The previous had a lot of preview images, I'll add a link.

By booster stage do you mean the Stage-0 SRBs or the Centaur? I had some ideas for the SRBs. My current problem is I have so many things I want to do and not enough time to model them. I'm not sure what I'm avoiding more at this point; homework or modeling cameras. :P On that note, however, I do have several lines on how to get them working. I will likely be busy this weekend but I will post an update once I know what's going to work.

I've been working something like 4-8 hours a day on this stuff. I really, really, REALLY don't want to rig that stupid character. But actually, this wasn't that hard. It took about two hours to model the fuel tank and engine and about two more to texture it. The longest part by far is cleaning everything up and preparing for the release. I'll probably keep the mod as a dev thread until releases slow down - I don't want to have constant updates for people that want to just download and play. And it will definitely come grinding to a halt once Fallout 4 comes out. :)

EDIT: Forgot to answer your question. What Atlas and what Delta? I've been eyeing Thor/Delta and some associated parts for a bit. I actually have a few bits underway.

Thor-Delta sounds good.

Atlas, Atlas-Centaur, Atlas I, Atlas II, and Atlas III were the only Atlas rockets that were widely used. Delta II, III, and IV would also be nice (III is just II lower stage with IV upper stage).

Maybe a Minotaur or Athena, as well?

I mean the Stage-0 SRBs, they have that nice top that curves towards the rocket.

And dont press yourself to much, just take it easy and work at your own pace and dont try to push it

Thor-Delta sounds good.

Atlas, Atlas-Centaur, Atlas I, Atlas II, and Atlas III were the only Atlas rockets that were widely used. Delta II, III, and IV would also be nice (III is just II lower stage with IV upper stage).

Maybe a Minotaur or Athena, as well?

I believe Delta III is not the same; It's a Delta II with the first stage fuel tank lengthened and the first stage oxygen tank widened, to keep the height of the stack down. I suppose I should smack a big fat 'no guarantees' on everything I say, but I'll look into them. I don't have a particular interest in recreating real life rockets; there are just some that I see and go 'that looks cool!'. That also means I'm not particularly concerned on matching details specific details. :)

I mean the Stage-0 SRBs, they have that nice top that curves towards the rocket.

And dont press yourself to much, just take it easy and work at your own pace and dont try to push it

KW Rocketry actually has very nice Aerojet SRBs. I want to make some small radial strap on SRBs but they probably won't look particularly close to the Atlas V ones.

Oh my God. Those are the most stock-a-like, detailed Redstone rocket engines (Rocketdyne North American Aviation 75-110 A-7 [as copied from Wikipedia]) I've ever seen.

Thank you I love numbers! :P I really wanted to do one since I think it looks cool. FASA's colors aren't right and OMSK is... well, AWOL. Plus I wanted to try it with the winglets completely separated. Only sad thing is I couldn't figure out a way to get the thrust vanes working as part of the engine; perhaps I will play around with it some more.

One thing you need to fix is the trench smoke. Otherwise this is a fantastic modpack and I see quite a bit of potential. This thread will also be keenly fixed within my gaze!

http://media.giphy.com/media/10wgT5PDnOwMQE/giphy.gif

>0.0<

I noticed I didn't have any. I'll have to look into it. Editing the CFGs is still a bit beyond me (read: I just gut stock configs) so I don't have a lot of bells and whistles on my parts.

On another note, I probably will redo all the antenna textures in the near future. I've gotten a lot better at texturing and want to go back and apply what I've learned. Right now it's painful to look at them... and I should probably get around to finishing the Lunar Orbiter engines...