[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

7 hours ago, Zorg said:

Why would the H1 need a revamp? It might be 2 years or so old but the Saturn engine revamp back then set the art standard for all engines that followed since.

Ugly mounting ring that interferes with anything that is not S-I, especially on Atlas\Fatlas.

18 minutes ago, biohazard15 said:

Ugly mounting ring that interferes with anything that is not S-I, especially on Atlas\Fatlas.

Interferes with anything and everything? Or really just Atlas?

Its not H1 that needs to be revamped but Atlas (at least partially). Which is planned for after I'm done with Skylab.

5 minutes ago, Zorg said:

Its not H1 that needs to be revamped but Atlas (at least partially). Which is planned for after I'm done with Skylab.

Atlas revamp, right with the Saturn revamp... I'm beginning to see a pattern that I'm not so sure if I like

8 minutes ago, Beccab said:

Atlas revamp, right with the Saturn revamp... I'm beginning to see a pattern that I'm not so sure if I like

Lol Im not sure what pattern there is. When Saturn/Skylab/Apollo is done, that leaves the Atlas engines as the oldest engines. Personally I think the atlas tanks still hold up well but there can be a better base tank and more flexible half staging mounts. Plus a few extra goodies. The issue has been up for a while but the priority is Skylab for me right now.

https://github.com/CobaltWolf/Bluedog-Design-Bureau/issues/974

2 minutes ago, Zorg said:

Lol Im not sure what pattern there is. When Saturn/Skylab/Apollo is done, that leaves the Atlas engines as the oldest engines. Personally I think the atlas tanks still hold up well but there can be a better base tank and more flexible half staging mounts. Plus a few extra goodies. The issue has been up for a while but the priority is Skylab for me right now.

I was referring to this (please don't make me post it ever again)
Juno_V_Fig_11_DXM.jpg?ssl=1

11 minutes ago, Zorg said:

Imo atlas looks fine. The oldest looking thing there is atlas v.

Speaking of Atlas V, I have a question about payload fairings and conformal decals. I'd like to put conformal decals on my payload fairings, like this:

At_second_time_Atlas_V_(401)_with_RBSP_t

But nothing can be surface-attached to SAF fairings. Procedural Fairings work fine:

BaFp762.png

...but SAF fairings are obviously a lot cooler. Is there a way to patch SAF fairings so they can take surface attachments? Maybe a Module Manager patch I could throw in my GameData folder?

15 minutes ago, jefferyharrell said:

Speaking of Atlas V, I have a question about payload fairings and conformal decals. I'd like to put conformal decals on my payload fairings, like this:

But nothing can be surface-attached to SAF fairings. Procedural Fairings work fine:

...but SAF fairings are obviously a lot cooler. Is there a way to patch SAF fairings so they can take surface attachments? Maybe a Module Manager patch I could throw in my GameData folder?

SAF fairings do not support surface attach directly. However you can surface attach CDs to the fairing base and translate them up onto the fairing itself. I believe it now works fine and does not reproject after jettison after cineboxAndrew specifically updated it to support SAF (unless I am imagining this but I think this is the case and it works).

All SAF bases in BDB should support surface attach for that reason, if there are any that dont please let me know. 

Edited by Zorg

conformal decals will split cleanly if positioned at the faring seam, and will stay with the faring. For fairings that get wider than the fairing base will support horizontal offsetting but only if the decal is placed on the fairing base.

Edited by Jcking

Gemini Satellite Interceptor restoring functionality to the blocked solar panel of Nimbus-1 and testing the USAF satellite capture system made for the destruction of enemy satellites. Includes Gemini Paraglider

Spoiler

image011.jpg
image012.jpg

Screenshot_7979.pngScreenshot_7987.pngScreenshot_7974.pngScreenshot_7993.pngScreenshot_8013.pngScreenshot_8020.pngScreenshot_8026.pngScreenshot_8044.png
Visual contact with the targetScreenshot_8046.png
Extension of the capture armScreenshot_8051.png
Rendezvous and final approach
Screenshot_8056.pngScreenshot_8058.pngScreenshot_8073.png
Tethered EVA to the satellite
Screenshot_8078.pngScreenshot_8081.png
Satellite release and return home

Screenshot_8084.png
Screenshot_8089.pngScreenshot_8095.pngScreenshot_8099.pngScreenshot_8107.pngScreenshot_8109.pngScreenshot_8115.pngScreenshot_8121.pngScreenshot_8130.png

Edited by Beccab

1 hour ago, Zorg said:

but Atlas (at least partially). Which is planned for after I'm done with Skylab.

Would you or @CobaltWolf not possibly think about making the ETS Artemis landers either before or after Atlas Semi-revamp?

Firstly, the MAH mod is incorrectly scaled for the Apollo parts, especially the new ones. Secondly, the artstyle matches the old Apollo parts and it would look 100x better in the new Apollo style.
Finally, it doesn’t seem like it would be such a big project, as it’s only a small/medium set of parts. 

I know BDB isn’t an ETS mod, but I think it would be a really nice addition, considering that there is a lack of nice lander parts in KSP, and it could even be Used as an Altair by slightly kitbashing, for people wanting to recreate Constellation. And it would go great with the Apollo block V parts and the Saturn H03 10m barrel fairing (The one it launches in)

I think it would just be a great all around addition to BDB, but just imagine how good this would look in the new Apollo artstyle!!

turwQs5.png
Tfo8Qxp.jpg

Edit: I just forgot to say that judging by how fast you make parts Zorg, you could probably get through these in a week or less! :D

Edited by AmateurAstronaut1969

2 hours ago, Zorg said:

It does look out of place on most small and medium mounting plates, especially conical ones. Titan I plate, for example. Besides, no BDB engine uses such a large ring anymore.

Speaking of H-1D on Saturn - its model needs to be rotated (about) 45deg to properly aligh with S-I engine mount:

VDKZmNg.png

H-1D is fresh from part list, placed on top right node with 4x symmetry. You can see turbopump exhaust is misaligned. Standard 90-deg rotation can't fix this.

vBeQTF3.png

Same parts, but H-1D rotated 45-deg.

H-1C does not have this issue. (It does, however, have another one - no early variant to use with Saturn I, which leads to a quite amusing sight of H-1C having two turbopump exhaust pipes)

Also, what's with this dark gray ring on S-I engine mount? Looks like untextured leftover.

Edited by biohazard15

31 minutes ago, AmateurAstronaut1969 said:

Would you or @CobaltWolf not possibly think about making the ETS Artemis landers either before or after Atlas Semi-revamp?

Firstly, the MAH mod is incorrectly scaled for the Apollo parts, especially the new ones. Secondly, the artstyle matches the old Apollo parts and it would look 100x better in the new Apollo style.
Finally, it doesn’t seem like it would be such a big project, as it’s only a small/medium set of parts. 

I know BDB isn’t an ETS mod, but I think it would be a really nice addition, considering that there is a lack of nice lander parts in KSP, and it could even be Used as an Altair by slightly kitbashing, for people wanting to recreate Constellation. And it would go great with the Apollo block V parts and the Saturn H03 10m barrel fairing (The one it launches in)

I think it would just be a great all around addition to BDB, but just imagine how good this would look in the new Apollo artstyle!!

Edit: I just forgot to say that judging by how fast you make parts Zorg, you could probably get through these in a week or less! :D

eeeh, i can't speak for Cobalt but I'm personally not interested. Not for any particular reason, I'm just not keen on working on that.

perhaps it's time to learn some blender? Be the change you wish to see in the world and all that.

7 minutes ago, Zorg said:

perhaps it's time to learn some blender? Be the change you wish to see in the world and all that.

Maybe,  I could try. Though, I’ve never been an artsy person In my life, neither have I ever made textures / designed something like that. No time like the present though :sticktongue:

14 minutes ago, AmateurAstronaut1969 said:

Maybe,  I could try. Though, I’ve never been an artsy person In my life, neither have I ever made textures / designed something like that. No time like the present though :sticktongue:

I'll just say that I also started from scratch last year. The only arty thing I was any good at before was photography. KSP texturing is entirely about following a process, it doesnt require hand drawing skills etc. Similarly for 3d modelling, you dont need magic hands, its about learning what tools to use and how to use them to get a desired result. In both cases the artistry comes from design, rather than technique and you learn quickly by doing.

2 hours ago, Zorg said:

The pattern is (I think) it’ll be an endless cycle of revamps.

IMHO, after the Saturn, I’m pretty sure it’s good enough. Focus on Alt.Hist and Designed parts after. You’ve got more than a good enough base.

4 minutes ago, Zorg said:

I'll just say that I also started from scratch last year. The only arty thing I was any good at before was photography. KSP texturing is entirely about following a process, it doesnt require hand drawing skills etc. Similarly for 3d modelling, you dont need magic hands, its about learning what tools to use and how to use them to get a desired result. In both cases the artistry comes from design, rather than technique and you learn quickly by doing.

Have you got any tips on how to start out or what to do? I feel I put myself and my abilities down a bit and I want to have a go at it

38 minutes ago, biohazard15 said:

It does look out of place on most small and medium mounting plates, especially conical ones. Titan I plate, for example. Besides, no BDB engine uses such a large ring anymore.

Speaking of H-1D on Saturn - its model needs to be rotated (about) 45deg to properly aligh with S-I engine mount:

VDKZmNg.png

H-1D is fresh from part list, placed on top right node with 4x symmetry. You can see turbopump exhaust is misaligned. Standard 90-deg rotation can't fix this.

vBeQTF3.png

Same parts, but H-1D rotated 45-deg.

H-1C does not have this issue. (It does, however, have another one - no early variant to use with Saturn I, which leads to a quite amusing sight of H-1C having two turbopump exhaust pipes)

Also, what's with this dark gray ring on S-I engine mount? Looks like untextured leftover.

The ring is from Modular Launch Pads. To remove it, go to ModularLaunchPads/Compatibility_Patches/BluedogDB_MLP_Patches.cfg and delete lines 9 through 15, such that @PART[bluedog_Saturn_S1_EngineMount]:NEEDS[Bluedog_DB] only has the node_stack_bottom line with an opening brace above and a closing brace below like such.

Spoiler

@PART[bluedog_Saturn_S1_EngineMount]:NEEDS[Bluedog_DB]
{
    node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -2.75, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 4
}

Edited by Jcking

12 minutes ago, AmateurAstronaut1969 said:

Have you got any tips on how to start out or what to do? I feel I put myself and my abilities down a bit and I want to have a go at it

It’s a little late right now but will shoot over some getting started resources tomorrow. 

25 minutes ago, Jcking said:

The ring is from Modular Launch Pads. To remove it, go to ModularLaunchPads/Compatibility_Patches/BluedogDB_MLP_Patches and delete lines 9 through 15, so that @PART[bluedog_Saturn_S1_EngineMount]:NEEDS[Bluedog_DB] only has the node_stack_bottom line with an opening brace above and a closing brace below like such.

Thanks for the tip!

1 hour ago, AmateurAstronaut1969 said:

turwQs5.png
Tfo8Qxp.jpg

That would be cool but once you have the lander then you need the Pegasus stage, and then the probes, and the moon base, why not the Russian vulkan as well. You can see where it goes. It opens up a new can of worms