[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

22 hours ago, SpaceFace545 said:

You mean the necessary ullage motors that push the rocket away from the spent S-IC and more importantly settle the propellant so the engines can fire.

If they were necessary why would NASA remove them after Apollo 14?

22 hours ago, SpaceFace545 said:

You mean the necessary ullage motors that push the rocket away from the spent S-IC and more importantly settle the propellant so the engines can fire.

Apollo 15-17 got rid of them because the weight constraints got bigger. J missions went into lower orbits too. Abort propellant in the LM became tighter too.

11 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

So, backing up - the biggest issue with the SLA is that the slope begins at the base. That means making extended versions of it gets weird kinda quick? I know that I'd like to make one that's vertical, so for landers and such you only need to worry about the cylindrical envelop and can ignore the slope.

vp7MIIB.png

Past that, there's the large SAF fairings. I can't speak to whether any of those will include some sort of mounting option for the CSM - Zorg, is adding a B9 switch to make a 2.5m hole in the nose of the SAF fairings possible? Might be the best solution.

oh hey that's kinda awesome what you sketched there man just what I'm really looking for, would be nice if plans for it also has a b9 switch for 1.5x to 2x length

Z4171.jpg

kind of like the adapter between the orion and SLS block 1a config in this old SLS concept image, so yeah that cylindrical CSM adapter looks really cool, and i for one, vouch for it to be implemented, thanks

cheers

A Tale of Two Saturns

Saturn I SA-8, carrying an Apollo boilerplate command module and the first Pegasus satellite:

rA4W0CH.png

funuvPm.png

OwwInrh.png

vIwzQrR.png

ObniVBa.png

M3saNcp.png

t2b5DkV.png

The satellite is scheduled to be visited by the crew of Gemini IX in about six months' time, and carries a set of equipment in the S-IV adapter section to be retrieved and used during the mission's spacewalk.

Saturn IB AS-201, lofting the entire Command/Service Module assembly on a high suborbital trajectory to test spacecraft systems from launch to recovery:

556ISD2.png

Not the first photo in the album, but I'm not about to risk someone scrolling past this post and missing the greatest screenshot I've produced in years.

7Vj5cQY.png

rjkUxO2.png

upTaDhG.png

kDEGITm.png

I also have a Saturn V in SA-500F's markings built up and ready for screenshots, but I'm having trouble getting Modular Launch Pads to play nice with Pad 39 from Katniss's Cape Canaveral. I know there are solutions to the issues but I can't remember what they are right now.

2 minutes ago, pTrevTrevs said:

A Tale of Two Saturns

Saturn I SA-8, carrying an Apollo boilerplate command module and the first Pegasus satellite:

rA4W0CH.png

Saturn IB AS-201, lofting the entire Command/Service Module assembly on a high suborbital trajectory to test spacecraft systems from launch to recovery:

556ISD2.png

Not the first photo in the album, but I'm not about to risk someone scrolling past this post and missing the greatest screenshot I've produced in years.

I also have a Saturn V in SA-500F's markings built up and ready for screenshots, but I'm having trouble getting Modular Launch Pads to play nice with Pad 39 from Katniss's Cape Canaveral. I know there are solutions to the issues but I can't remember what they are right now.

Looks awesome. Can’t wait to get around to finishing the proper BDB Pegasus.

2 hours ago, Beccab said:

@ZorgWill the Atlas update later on include the original, unflown Atlas?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT5hXwLNi51c8_x6vT8hje

not sure, its on my list to investigate further, I've not looked too deeply yet. Need to see what engines are required and fit for the 4 engine booster skirt etc. But I will consider it yes. 

3 hours ago, _Krieger_ said:

Screen_Shot_2021-10-08_at_9.58.19_AM.pngScreen_Shot_2021-10-08_at_2.12.48_PM.pngScreen_Shot_2021-10-08_at_2.35.56_PM.pngScreen_Shot_2021-10-08_at_10.16.45_PM.pnScreen_Shot_2021-10-08_at_10.19.21_PM.pnScreen_Shot_2021-10-08_at_11.06.13_PM.jpScreen_Shot_2021-10-08_at_11.07.31_PM.jp

Holy mother of Von Kerman that is just Epic!!!

10 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

You asked for it - you're getting it.

Saturn S-1D

ijtwgbk.png

ucFis6u.png

Looking GOOD!!! Looks like all that's left are the Vernier thrusters and we're golden.  

Edited by davidy12

10 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

You asked for it - you're getting it.

Saturn S-1D

ijtwgbk.png

ucFis6u.png

yay new LR-101 engines! :D

I assume the Roll Control engines are LR-101s

to my un-trained eye that is all that looks like it still needs to be textured so "Soon(TM)" I guess.

1 minute ago, Pappystein said:

yay new LR-101 engines! :D

I assume the Roll Control engines are LR-101s

to my un-trained eye that is all that looks like it still needs to be textured so "Soon(TM)" I guess.

Actually, I think they're just Saturn-Class Verniers. 

5 hours ago, Starhelperdude said:

another crime against rocketry to add to my collection...

Saturn -II I guess

Hide contents

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

err... umm... Saturn II is JUST the S-II stage with the possibility of the S-IVB or S-IVC (the NASA one not the ETS one)  

well technically it is actually a MS-II-1,-2,-3B or -4S with either payload OR a MS-IVB-4(S)B, -1A/-3, or MS-IVB-2...    S-IVC fits with he MS-IVB-1A or -3 (basically the same length and fuel load)

Once I dig some old Saturn II pics out I will post them...   But once Cobalt is done with the proper Saturn II parts (there are about 10 bespoke parts needed for a full up Saturn II)  I will run the whole series.

Saturn II is my adopted baby and I have worked hard to  bully convince the devs into including the J-2 Sea Level engines... :D;)

Now that THAT is all out of the way.    That is an Interesting use of the LEGO concept on Saturn.    What kind of performance did you get (Stock or 2.5, or JNSQ or what)???   Inquiring minds want to know! :D  

Better yet,  I discovered a document, and shared it with Cobalt a couple days ago that show what you built WAS actually planned.... sorta.....   How about a Long AJ-260 under that S-II stage!

Edited by Pappystein

2 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

err... umm... Saturn II is JUST the S-II stage with the possibility of the S-IVB or S-IVC (the NASA one not the ETS one)  

well technically it is actually a MS-II-1,-2,-3B or -4S with either payload OR a MS-IVB-4(S)B, -1A/-3, or MS-IVB-2...    S-IVC fits with he MS-IVB-1A or -3

Once I dig some old Saturn II pics out I will post them...   But once Cobalt is done with the proper Saturn II parts (there are about 10 bespoke parts needed for a full up Saturn II)  I will run the whole series.

Saturn II is my adopted baby and I have worked hard to  bully convince the devs into including the J-2 Sea Level engines...

Now that THAT is all out of the way.    That is an Interesting use of the LEGO concept on Saturn.    What kind of performance did you get (Stock or 2.5, or JNSQ or what)???   Inquiring minds want to know! :D  

Better yet,  I discovered a document, and shared it with Cobalt a couple days ago that show what you built WAS actually planned.... sorta.....   How about a Long AJ-260 under that S-II stage!

What's the S-IVC (NASA one)?

4 minutes ago, davidy12 said:

What's the S-IVC (NASA one)?

It was proposed... circa 1965.   it was the first proposed stretch of the S-IVB.    As I said in my edited quote above it was basically replaced in the MLV study performance wise by the MS-IVB-1A or -3  (1 inche longer than these but similar fuel load.)  I think that inch difference is rounding errors when converting from Imperial/SAE to metric and back....

I should add, that I have only found it referenced in 2 documents and both of those were usurped into MLV.   So it is hard to tell if S-IVC started MLV or if S-IVC is actually the MS-IVB-1A (as that was the first MS-IVB version with a stretched fuel load)

Because ETS re-used the S-IVC designation I denote S-IVC(NASA) or S-IVC(ETS) when talking about them.

Edited by Pappystein