[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

@Sgt.Shutesie awesome, thanks! I've relinked them in the OP.

On that note, @DiscoSlelge would you like the current version of the manual linked in the OP? I don't know if you'd like to wait for the next 'stable' version or not.

Also, YES I saw that 1.1 came out. I have no firm plans for what to do right now. I think the fastest thing would be to CUT the unfinished stuff, such as MOL, out for this update. @Beale is very close to finishing TRAILS so that would be 'stable' for a release. Right now I have a couple different projects going on, and unless we all want to wait a month or two for it to be ready, I personally think cutting out the unfinished aspects would be preferable.

31 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Also, YES I saw that 1.1 came out. I have no firm plans for what to do right now. I think the fastest thing would be to CUT the unfinished stuff, such as MOL, out for this update. @Beale is very close to finishing TRAILS so that would be 'stable' for a release. Right now I have a couple different projects going on, and unless we all want to wait a month or two for it to be ready, I personally think cutting out the unfinished aspects would be preferable.

Holy crap, 1.1 IS out! On the Website! Not Steam! Is this the same as the pre-release though? I'm downloading now and once I get it open I'll see which build it is. What is the last pre-release build number? Time to catch up on what mods are compatible for 1.1. Oh man, can't wait.

11 hours ago, OTmikhail said:

Holy crap, 1.1 IS out! On the Website! Not Steam! Is this the same as the pre-release though? I'm downloading now and once I get it open I'll see which build it is. What is the last pre-release build number? Time to catch up on what mods are compatible for 1.1. Oh man, can't wait.

According to reddit you need to opt out of the prerelease to be synced on to the latest release branch. A lot of the long time modders (ferram comes to mind) still have the game thru the store so they have had to wait. I'm excited to have a lot of must-have mods, like KJR, back in game. It hasn't been very fun trying to test stuff with wiggly rockets.

2 minutes ago, davidy12 said:

I don't know what it is Cobalt, but whenever I get to your antennas, my game crashes on startup...

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/35083538/KSP.log

^^Log

It seems like it is doing that with dynamic texture loader? Can you try starting it either a) on a clean install or b) with just DTL removed (though I doubt that would successfully start for you with all those mods). Once I know if it's purely BDB, or if it's some interaction between BDB + some mod, then I can move forward figuring out what is wrong.

Also, just for kicks, what happens if you delete the mariner antenna files? (two cfgs, two mus, one texture).

1 minute ago, CobaltWolf said:

It seems like it is doing that with dynamic texture loader? Can you try starting it either a) on a clean install or b) with just DTL removed (though I doubt that would successfully start for you with all those mods). Once I know if it's purely BDB, or if it's some interaction between BDB + some mod, then I can move forward figuring out what is wrong.

Also, just for kicks, what happens if you delete the mariner antenna files? (two cfgs, two mus, one texture).

Yeah, I just found that out. Was just going to post it. Thanks nonetheless. 

I'll inform this to @rbray89.

10 minutes ago, davidy12 said:

No, I removed the entire BDB folder, it crashed.

Ok.

Continuing from the discussion over at the OMSK thread , what would be the best way to break up BDB into packages? It's not an easy question.

Obviously Atlas is one package. But what gets included with it? Should I include Centaur? Should I include Agena? Agena has parts related to Gemini - do I include it in both? These are the kind of issues that has made me hesitate to split things up. The compatibility files are already modular and shouldn't be too hard to split up. Should things still install to the Bluedog_DB folder, ie not changing the folder structure? If not, that is ~200 part cfgs to change. 

So that is one big issue - how to split it up. The next is the logistics of it all, which also am not sure of. How do I distribute it? Would I need a separate GitHub repo for each one ( @raidernick and @Jso come to mind for answers) and what would I do with the current Spacedock and CKAN listings?

7 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

According to reddit you need to opt out of the prerelease to be synced on to the latest release branch. A lot of the long time modders (ferram comes to mind) still have the game thru the store so they have had to wait. I'm excited to have a lot of must-have mods, like KJR, back in game. It hasn't been very fun trying to test stuff with wiggly rockets.

KJR IS UPDATED!!!

13 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Ok.

Continuing from the discussion over at the OMSK thread , what would be the best way to break up BDB into packages? It's not an easy question.

Obviously Atlas is one package. But what gets included with it? Should I include Centaur? Should I include Agena? Agena has parts related to Gemini - do I include it in both? These are the kind of issues that has made me hesitate to split things up. The compatibility files are already modular and shouldn't be too hard to split up. Should things still install to the Bluedog_DB folder, ie not changing the folder structure? If not, that is ~200 part cfgs to change. 

So that is one big issue - how to split it up. The next is the logistics of it all, which also am not sure of. How do I distribute it? Would I need a separate GitHub repo for each one ( @raidernick and @Jso come to mind for answers) and what would I do with the current Spacedock and CKAN listings?

Why are you talking about splitting up the pack? with 64bit size shouldn't be an issue. If its about culling through all of the parts then maybe you should consider taking advantage of the manufacturers tab. Also in 1.1 parts are searchable in the VAB. Whats the issue? 

28 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Ok.

It's much easier than you think. 1 set of source files. You use a batch file to script building the individual zips. Atlas for example would be just the files required for the Atlas in exactly the same folder structure. Accommodating CKAN could be the trick. I'm not sure how it would handle the same file being in different addons when sharing occurs. You might need something like a BDB_Core to contain anything that would be shared.

48 minutes ago, sp1989 said:

Why are you talking about splitting up the pack? with 64bit size shouldn't be an issue. If its about culling through all of the parts then maybe you should consider taking advantage of the manufacturers tab. Also in 1.1 parts are searchable in the VAB. Whats the issue? 

*shrug* A lot of people don't like having too many parts. I've known for a long time that more people would enjoy the parts if they could pick and choose what to install.

26 minutes ago, Jso said:

It's much easier than you think. 1 set of source files. You use a batch file to script building the individual zips. Atlas for example would be just the files required for the Atlas in exactly the same folder structure. Accommodating CKAN could be the trick. I'm not sure how it would handle the same file being in different addons when sharing occurs. You might need something like a BDB_Core to contain anything that would be shared.

I had no idea you could do that. CKAN could index off the Spacedock listings which would be separate no matter what. I don't know if I'd need a core file. I would prefer just to not get that granular with the different packs, but I know a lot of people don't like the 1.5m size and the Redstone parts for instance are tied to Thor.

7 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

*shrug* A lot of people don't like having too many parts. I've known for a long time that more people would enjoy the parts if they could pick and choose what to install.

I had no idea you could do that. CKAN could index off the Spacedock listings which would be separate no matter what. I don't know if I'd need a core file. I would prefer just to not get that granular with the different packs, but I know a lot of people don't like the 1.5m size and the Redstone parts for instance are tied to Thor.

I certainly would agree that in the past its too many parts and hard to navigate. However that point is no longer valid. If you are looking for a 1.875 piece all you have to do is type 1.875 in the search. The game can easily handle large part packs now. I don't agree with the complaint anymore. Its not a factor anymore with the VAB search.

28 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Wait until you finish the pack. :wink: 

My two cents on packaging is this. If they are the sort who care about particular vehicles then they would be enthusiastic enough about it to trim down to the parts they want manually and probably wouldn't lose sleep over odd sizes if they are to scale.

The sort of people who would be turned off by a large historical vehicle pack would be the ones just looking to plug gaps in the stock game balance. So instead of a handful of mini vehicle centric packs that are meant to be mixed and matched like legos what would be needed is two independant packs a full historical pack for the history nuts and a stock-a-lite pack for those who just want what stock can't already give them(like 1.875m parts).

2 hours ago, davidy12 said:

Wait until you finish the pack. :wink: 

I agree. Look at Beale's mods. They are incredibly large and difficult to manage without the ability to search in the VAB. Still with al of his parts he has split them up into lauchers and parts. Maybe thats the direction you should go. More importantly lets get 1.1 out then we can organize it. :wink:

4 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

what would be the best way to break up BDB into packages?

Don't. You've already broken up all the parts by vehicle family, it's so easy to just remove any you don't want. You could break it up into Propulsion/Crew/Science if you really want, but honestly separate downloads get annoying.

Just now, Starbuckminsterfullerton said:

Don't. You've already broken up all the parts by vehicle family, it's so easy to just remove any you don't want. You could break it up into Propulsion/Crew/Science if you really want, but honestly separate downloads get annoying.

Like delete the folders you don't want? Not here for the texture sharing part of the conversation, eh? If you were to delete redstone for example, Thor and Vanguard wouldnt have a texture. :P

1 minute ago, VenomousRequiem said:

Like delete the folders you don't want? Not here for the texture sharing part of the conversation, eh? If you were to delete redstone for example, Thor and Vanguard wouldnt have a texture. :P

Hmm. I've been busy, so I've missed some stuff. I suppose you could create a separate resources folder with all the textures and change the .cfg references, or split up the pack based on necessary textures but that could get complicated. 

1 hour ago, VenomousRequiem said:

As a counter to that argument, why not just have the textures in a different folder? wouldn't that work just as well?

Edited by Andem

I would suggest that all S****n-related parts get packaged in one pack. That is a smooth split that allows some to just get the big rocket parts if that's all they want. Another suggestion if you choose to split the pack is to pull all capsules/utility/science/probe stuff into one pack like @Beale does. Then all your engines, tanks, fairings and supporting parts will be your "Launch Vehicle pack."

Edited by akron