[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

2 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

Out of curiosity have you ever thought about doing a flipout one that starts with the panel inward this size?

I originally wanted to do something like what @cineboxandrew did for the Restock dishes, but then I realized that wouldn't work because you can't B9 switch transforms in modules (so anything like engines, RCS, solar panels...). So, idk.

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

...because you can't B9 switch transforms in modules (so anything like engines, RCS, solar panels...). So, idk.

Just took a quck look to B9 code, as well as at KSP class reference. One wild idea (not sure if it will work, @blowfish can correct me). This structure:

solarPanelRootGameObject
- transform1
-- solarPanelTransform
- transform2
-- solarPanelTransform

transform1/transform2 are switched with B9, while DeplyableSolarPanelsModule are linked to solarPanelTransform gameObjects/transforms. Have anyone tried this?

EDT: Question is, when does Module caches references to gameObjects (if it ever does).

Edited by unclepirog

6 minutes ago, unclepirog said:

EDT: Question is, when does Module caches references to gameObjects (if it ever does).

You've pretty much nailed it - transforms for modules (at least, the Squad ones) are loaded and cached during startup.

2 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I originally wanted to do something like what @cineboxandrew did for the Restock dishes, but then I realized that wouldn't work because you can't B9 switch transforms in modules (so anything like engines, RCS, solar panels...). So, idk.

If all the variants are deployable and have their deployed suncatcher transform in the same place it could work. Just have only the meshes switched and the suncatcher on its own

Edited by cineboxandrew

On 3/14/2019 at 11:49 PM, pTrevTrevs said:

Maybe this has been discussed before and I'm too lazy to read through years of thread history, but is this name in reference to the Titan I in Cordele, Georgia?

[snip]

I've driven through that town dozens of times since I was a kid, and I still have no idea why or how they got their hands on it.

By God I’m actually back already

https://m.imgur.com/uzUnHxO

I’d timestamp this or directly embed my image, but I’m on mobile and I just drove past it.

Edited by pTrevTrevs

21 minutes ago, pTrevTrevs said:

By God I’m actually back already

https://m.imgur.com/uzUnHxO

I’d timestamp this or directly embed my image, but I’m on mobile and I just drove past it.

Goodness, I saw your last post and procrastinated on responding to it until I forgot. Yes, that's what it's named after! Most of the part names have some sort of connection to the real thing. :)

Edited by CobaltWolf

Hey CobaltWolf, thought I would say hey... I dunno if you remember but I ran into you in the chat during the Epsilon-4 (the one with RAPIS-1 et al. payload) launch livestream, which was a happy surprise. Love your mods, and I -especially- appreciate that you actually put some semblance of instructions for how things fit together in the actual part descriptions in-game, which is something I don't usually see and then have to fiddle around blindly until I figure it out myself, so that is a huge help, honestly. But just everything is so great, well thought-out, detailed and useful that I honestly can't imagine playing without at least BDB anymore... And if you ever need any freelance non-committal ephemeral help with anything, I would definitely maybe be available any time whenever I feel like it possibly. ;) No but really, thanks, and it was great to meet you, even if that chat was a madhouse and it would have been easier to have had a conversation while standing next to an actual rocket launch than it was there. <3 Keep up the good work, and I can't wait to see what you have in store for us next!

21 hours ago, space_powder said:

Oui!

19 hours ago, DJ Reonic said:

I love it!!!

Thank you! Anyone know what it's based on? The name is a hint...

13 hours ago, Pappystein said:

So are these going to be a "fun" size?  To go with the "Fun" Solar panels you showcased yesterday?

No, it's the same size as something like the OCTO, which is sort of an 'expanded 0.625m', ie 0.625m parts won't stick out around the edges.

13 hours ago, RaiderMan said:

wait..new solars?!

Yeah, I showed them Monday.

dA6IWzb.png

12 hours ago, AnimusNox said:

Hey CobaltWolf, thought I would say hey... I dunno if you remember but I ran into you in the chat during the Epsilon-4 (the one with RAPIS-1 et al. payload) launch livestream, which was a happy surprise. Love your mods, and I -especially- appreciate that you actually put some semblance of instructions for how things fit together in the actual part descriptions in-game, which is something I don't usually see and then have to fiddle around blindly until I figure it out myself, so that is a huge help, honestly. But just everything is so great, well thought-out, detailed and useful that I honestly can't imagine playing without at least BDB anymore... And if you ever need any freelance non-committal ephemeral help with anything, I would definitely maybe be available any time whenever I feel like it possibly. ;) No but really, thanks, and it was great to meet you, even if that chat was a madhouse and it would have been easier to have had a conversation while standing next to an actual rocket launch than it was there. <3 Keep up the good work, and I can't wait to see what you have in store for us next!

Hey! Yes I do remember running into you, nice to see you again! :) I'm glad my efforts to make the descriptions useful were successful, now if only more people would read them :rolleyes:

14 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Lets see.... Non is NO in French I do believe....    So it is from the "Say NO to stock probes!" campaign?

Edited by Pappystein

2 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

Lets see.... Non is NO in French I do believe....    So it is from the "Say NO to stock probes!" campaign?

Maybe the hint is also in the names of the other stock Probodobydyne probes?

Edited by CobaltWolf

5 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

No, it's the same size as something like the OCTO, which is sort of an 'expanded 0.625m', ie 0.625m parts won't stick out around the edges.

Yeah, I showed them Monday.

dA6IWzb.png

Hey! Yes I do remember running into you, nice to see you again! :) I'm glad my efforts to make the descriptions useful were successful, now if only more people would read them :rolleyes:

nice.

4 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Maybe not a DODEC, but I did come up with this and I enjoy it

mow3Jxo.png

Any chance of some other nice accoutrements for these?   Like properly profiled batteries (Radial or inline?)   I could see the TRYP with 2 narrow side attached batteries and on  the 3rd narrow spine a folding Origami type antenna....   I think that would make a schway relay probe :)

These little guys are pretty awesome looking.  I just removed restock from my build and re-loaded with the stock parts... WOW are these a generation or two ahead of even the "updated" stock probe bodies in look.

21 hours ago, Svm420 said:

If you were going for the nine prefix shouldn't it be nona?

I guess but there's precedent for it to be not quite correct. :)

16 hours ago, Pappystein said:

Any chance of some other nice accoutrements for these?   Like properly profiled batteries (Radial or inline?)   I could see the TRYP with 2 narrow side attached batteries and on  the 3rd narrow spine a folding Origami type antenna....   I think that would make a schway relay probe :)

These little guys are pretty awesome looking.  I just removed restock from my build and re-loaded with the stock parts... WOW are these a generation or two ahead of even the "updated" stock probe bodies in look.

If anyone has suggestions I suppose I'm open, though someone did point out to me (perhaps correctly) that BDB has a lot of LEO probes and might benefit more from probes that have a bit more legs to them for interplanetary or at least lunar stuff... unfortunately there aren't a ton of probes in the time period of the mod that haven't already been covered by Coatl.

One thing I think would be useful would be some probe RCS, if people have designs they want. This is all very back burner compared to Titan though.

5 hours ago, komodo said:

Are we going to be surprised to load it up and find a 3.75 m triangle?

The ring on the TRYP is 0.3125m; I didn't want it to be a 'full size' probe core but more comparable to like a QBE. Like Pappy said I kinda intended for it to be a relay or like earth observation satellite core maybe.

5 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

The ring on the TRYP is 0.3125m; I didn't want it to be a 'full size' probe core but more comparable to like a QBE. Like Pappy said I kinda intended for it to be a relay or like earth observation satellite core maybe. 

I could see this as a micro network of relays around mun/minimus/pick the name of your moon in your home system.   One Titan Centaur/Atlas Centaur launch to get them into Moon injection/orbit and then via a small motor under them they are each launched one at a time to provide a multiple satellite network in one launch.  Similar to modern Cube-stats... But earlier tech of Rocket :)  Inject 4 to 6 of them in a 45 degree Koylima (or however you spell it) orbit.   At Apoapsis do a burn one orbit at a time and soon you have a series of satellites in a near circular orbit of your moon giving nearly 100% radio coverage so your probes can land on the "dark side"