[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

Doesn't necessarily need to be that simple. For example, I liked the bit about Minmus throwing snowballs. I mean don't make them too scientific, talking about the chemical composition and stuff. I would also say to remember a) this instrument would mostly belong on probes, so the characters probably aren't interacting with it - that's what crew reports are for. So things like referencing Jeb doesn't really work, especially because we don't know whether Jeb is there, or even alive, depending on the player. The detector is meant to give an idea of the number / frequency of impacts. So around Dres, where there are a lot of asteroids, there would probably be a lot of impacts.

I will go and work on that and make the characters interaction a bit less (and i will fix the second person and a few other errors)

Is the amount okay? i did 2 per planet

I will go and work on that and make the characters interaction a bit less (and i will fix the second person and a few other errors)

Is the amount okay? i did 2 per planet

Yeah the amount is fine! I don't remember how many stock has but it's prolly just one.

Literally no one has said anything about wanting a Centaur to top their Atlas V, but you're going to get one!

http://i.imgur.com/Hc2mZRc.png

Progress reigns on...

Since when does that not mean that we need one?! I for one need a centaur stage for my Atlas V! It better be 1.875 and it better have a proper adapter decoupler 2.5 to 1.875. :wink:

please please please recognize my sarcasm

Since when does that not mean that we need one?! I for one need a centaur stage for my Atlas V! It better be 1.875 and it better have a proper adapter decoupler 2.5 to 1.875. :wink:

please please please recognize my sarcasm

You know it'll be all of those things~

I like to give the people what they want. :3

Can you believe that engine is only like my fifth thing I've ever modeled in my life?

Edited by VenomousRequiem

Are we getting boosters for our Atlaseseses?

If... that's how you spell Atlas's. Atlases? Atlaseseses? This is KSP, no one really cares.

Really though, I'll try and model them, but if Cobalt doesn't want to texture them, there's nothing I can do! :P

What if we made the Atlas CCB-Centaur decoupler/adapter have the option to double as a fairing base in case you want to do an Atlas 5xx series? Just thought of that and it seems like a pretty good idea. What do you guys think?

Are we getting boosters for our Atlaseseses?
If... that's how you spell Atlas's. Atlases? Atlaseseses? This is KSP, no one really cares.

Really though, I'll try and model them, but if Cobalt doesn't want to texture them, there's nothing I can do! :P

What if we made the Atlas CCB-Centaur decoupler/adapter have the option to double as a fairing base in case you want to do an Atlas 5xx series? Just thought of that and it seems like a pretty good idea. What do you guys think?

(just woke up)

ejwRzny.png

Ahem, can someone explain why the Atlas 5 have asymmetrical engines?

How do you mean asymmetrical, because they are the same size and next to each other?

do you mean in real life or in the model?

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah the amount is fine! I don't remember how many stock has but it's prolly just one.

The file has been updated, it is still on the same place

Yes! I'll work on that.

Ahem, can someone explain why the Atlas 5 have asymmetrical engines?

As in how can it have an asymmetrical setup of boosters? It keeps up right with thrust vector. Google the launch of an Atlas V 411!

Update- Cobalt said he's working on the boosters, so don't worry friend, you'll get your boosters.

Little update on my Kerbal stuck on Duna. I think I can save him. All I need is a little resupply with KAS, to jettison the landing gear, heatshield, and parachutes. As well as it having some monoprop on it as well. I'll update you when I have a probe on it's way.

Hey guys! I've been sick all day (hurray!) but I was able to put a couple hours in. So, the biggest news from today - the antenna refresh is almost done! Almost all the antennas got new models, and they all got moved to a single 512 texture sheet. I spent about four hours UV unwrapping them all. Right now there are 9 antennas in the mod. 9? What? There were 7 before! Well, I took the opportunity while no one was looking to finish up two more antennas that weren't included in the original releases of the mod. One is a dish with a lightweight dome, the other is a dipole that is meant to accompany the DTS-M1.

i spent the day alternating between coughing, blowing my nose, and laughing at the idea of calling our SM-65 'Fatlas'

BvkRSk0.png

The file has been updated, it is still on the same place

Thank you! I grabbed them today. I wound up rewriting some but I used yours as a reference.

EDIT: Alright people, so... I'm starting work on Atlas I. I like having a couple things in progress in different stages of production. Gives me more options for what I feel like doing. So, couple questions: Any particular features / bits you want? Atlas I/II went through a lot of changes, big and small. I have a big pile of different visuals to pick from. The shape of the fairing around the booster engines, for example, changed several times. Also - do you want it symmetrical or no?

Edited by CobaltWolf

Perhaps. I'm not really sure how to animate the geiger counter. I'm looking into DMagic's animation plugin since it allows experiments that only go one way, as well as experiments that consume resources... like film. :)

Yeah, stock science experiment animations are very limited.

I haven't looked at my plugin for a long time, I don't think it has been updated for 1.0. There are only a few things that are broken by that, so it shouldn't be too much trouble to fix. I'll see about releasing an update this weekend.

Yeah, stock science experiment animations are very limited.

I haven't looked at my plugin for a long time, I don't think it has been updated for 1.0. There are only a few things that are broken by that, so it shouldn't be too much trouble to fix. I'll see about releasing an update this weekend.

For DMagicScienceAnimateGeneric? I would very much appreciate that. :)

I was fiddling around with it a bit on... Wednesday I believe. When I was trying to get the Micrometeoroid Detector to work. I couldn't get it to work, then I realized it was outdated. I tried it by using the version currently included in DMagic Orbital Science and came closer but it still wouldn't work (did nothing when the experiment was run). I decided to drop it for the time being since you hadn't released a new generic version of the plugin.

EDIT: Quick update before I go to bed!

Alright people, so... I'm starting work on Atlas I. I like having a couple things in progress in different stages of production. Gives me more options for what I feel like doing. So, couple questions: Any particular features / bits you want? Atlas I/II went through a lot of changes, big and small. I have a big pile of different visuals to pick from. The shape of the fairing around the booster engines, for example, changed several times. Also - do you want it symmetrical or no?

RbuVqg9.png

Edited by CobaltWolf

I was fiddling around with it a bit on... Wednesday I believe. When I was trying to get the Micrometeoroid Detector to work. I couldn't get it to work, then I realized it was outdated. I tried it by using the version currently included in DMagic Orbital Science and came closer but it still wouldn't work (did nothing when the experiment was run). I decided to drop it for the time being since you hadn't released a new generic version of the plugin.

http://i.imgur.com/RbuVqg9.png

I want asymmetrical. Looks pretty good.

A note though: The main engine is much bigger than the booster engines.

It looks pretty good to me, definately needs a bigger engine.

On my stock build I use a Skipper and two LV-30's for the boosters...that sort of scale.

Looking forward to this :)

I want asymmetrical. Looks pretty good.

A note though: The main engine is much bigger than the booster engines.

It looks pretty good to me, definately needs a bigger engine.

On my stock build I use a Skipper and two LV-30's for the boosters...that sort of scale.

Looking forward to this :)

Really? All the pictures I found had them looking roughly the same size. At any rate, the boosters were just thrown in to make it presentable enough for a screenshot. They wouldn't stay in. I'm doing it a bit differently than FASA does. The rounded end of the tank is separate from the sustainer engine. I wanted to make it a bit agnostic, so that for example you could swap in other mod part engines, as well as use the sustainer engine as a powerful 1.25m non-gimbaling engine.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

A stockalike Atlas with dropable stage. *Throws away OMSK in stock game*

(Note: Not saying it's bad, I love stock alike and this takes the cake)

Yes! I'll work on that.

As in how can it have an asymmetrical setup of boosters? It keeps up right with thrust vector. Google the launch of an Atlas V 411!

Update- Cobalt said he's working on the boosters, so don't worry friend, you'll get your boosters.

On the side there is two different lengths of booster, why does it have that? Won't one flame out before the other?

On the side there is two different lengths of booster, why does it have that? Won't one flame out before the other?

I'm pretty sure the boosters feed off the main tank. The side things cover up fuel lines from the liquid oxidizer and liquid propellant tanks. Which would be at different parts on the rocket.

A stockalike Atlas with dropable stage. *Throws away OMSK in stock game*

(Note: Not saying it's bad, I love stock alike and this takes the cake)

Oh yeah don't get me wrong, I really liked OMSK. And (consciously or not, I'm not sure) since it seems to be somewhat dead I have been remaking the rockets from it. Not really because OMSK I think more just because I want stockalike versions of the same rockets.

I'm pretty sure the boosters feed off the main tank. The side things cover up fuel lines from the liquid oxidizer and liquid propellant tanks. Which would be at different parts on the rocket.

Yes. The asymmetrical 'boosters' are just aerodynamic coverings for the fuel lines and such. Atlas I and II used what was called a stage-and-a-half system, where the two booster engines and the fairing covering them were released partway through the launch, with the middle main engine remaining attached to the rocket.

Also, you guys know the pipe that goes down the front of the rocket, off to one side? The one that's used to fuel the rocket prior to launch. I'd like to add it because A)it's distinctive on all versions of the atlas and B) it looks cool. What I think I might do is make it so it's a separate part, that way you could use it on Atlas I / Atlas V / whatever you want, and what I'll do it make it have a small amount of fuel. So it adds a touch of DeltaV. Thoughts?

EDIT: Also, a note about balancing - I'm planning on putting the Atlas I parts (1.875m) in the same node you acquire the Mk55, which is the node before you start getting 2.5m parts. I've been nudging Beale to move his British rocket parts (the 1.875m Black Prince and Black Arrow) to earlier in the tech tree. If you're using the two mods together that should give you a fully fleshed out 1.875m era between 1.25m and 2.5m.

Edited by CobaltWolf

Really? All the pictures I found had them looking roughly the same size. At any rate, the boosters were just thrown in to make it presentable enough for a screenshot. They wouldn't stay in. I'm doing it a bit differently than FASA does. The rounded end of the tank is separate from the sustainer engine. I wanted to make it a bit agnostic, so that for example you could swap in other mod part engines, as well as use the sustainer engine as a powerful 1.25m non-gimbaling engine.

The atlas sustainer engine had gimbal you have no idea the trouble I went through digging for a cut away schematic to confirm this in the osmk thread of course historicalness wouldn't matter if it was made out of scale at 2.5m

EDIT: if we wanted full range of 1.875m parts wouldn't we need a twin bore equivalent? ;) *pitches mode switch as KER friendly alternative to literal stage and a half again*

Edited by passinglurker

The atlas sustainer engine had gimbal you have no idea the trouble I went through digging for a cut away schematic to confirm this in the osmk thread of course historicalness wouldn't matter if it was made out of scale at 2.5m

EDIT: if we wanted full range of 1.875m parts wouldn't we need a twin bore equivalent? ;) *pitches mode switch as KER friendly alternative to literal stage and a half again*

Haha I know you want it Lurker but I really want to try my own take on the stage-and-a-half design. Would one of these make you feel better? Thanks for the cutaway!