[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

12 minutes ago, eagle92lightning said:

in 2018 update the Saturn V launcher description on imugur SLS will be king the

The SLS will likely not be built because of funding cuts due to the geopolitical situation. Of course, they are proceeding like nothing will change as of right now.

Just now, Nnimrod said:

The SLS will likely not be built because of funding cuts due to the geopolitical situation. Of course, they are proceeding like nothing will change as of right now.

they have to be built they are almost done building EM-1! and plus what the heck else is gonna put up an Orion made to go to mars.

17 minutes ago, Nnimrod said:

I live in the city where they are building and testing it - it's gonna happen, barring WW3.

They are basically done with SLS, it just needs to be man rated....and have a payload.

Edit: We are basically in a new space race, except its private companies, and the US dosent want to be left behind.

Edited by minepagan

I guess I meant to ask....Is the Muo V 1st stage the same as the Atlas V first stage on the heavy and would slapping two more tanks and engines re-create the Atlas V heavy faithfully (kerbally?)

I tried it and it seems to work well. So I guess the Muo V heavy is possible. Just need to hack some decouplers to work.

I wish I had more time. I'd love it if someone made a R.S.S. patch for your mod. I plan on starting a historical playthrough once R.S.S. gets updated and your beautiful work would make replacing FASA a breeze.

39 minutes ago, minepagan said:

I live in the city where they are building and testing it - it's gonna happen, barring WW3.

They are basically done with SLS, it just needs to be man rated....and have a payload.

Edit: We are basically in a new space race, except its private companies, and the US dosent want to be left behind.

The first launch or two are definitely gonna happen from everything I see and read about it, but I think it'll be retired very early unless NASA wants to actually start a full on space race to put boots on Martian ground before SpaceX. And the likelyhood of that happening is very, very low.

Speaking of SpaceX, what do you think of their aesthetics @CobaltWolf?

2 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

"...[W]e have a sort of 'Help Wanted/Now Hiring' thing. Currently the BDB tech tree placements are fairly suspect. Would anyone be interested in doing an 'audit' of the stock tech tree nodes for all the parts? I noticed a lot of stuff out of whack when I was looking at the tech tree the other day - to the point that it was overwhelming..."

Say... if you are going to do it right, I have a possible system:

1) find when a player would most likely unlock things to go to various places (Suborbit, orbit, manned orbit, moon flyby, etc...)

2) Find when the US or other country did it (1950s, 1958, 1960, 1964, etc...) to gauge when a player would be in our time.

3) place parts according to said nodes and said dates, creating a balance. Don't make all the parts for a rocket available at once - make the tanks available first, then the engines for said tanks. (let's see them try to make an Atlas tank with some Redstone engines fly...)

Edited by Rory Yammomoto

8 minutes ago, gonzo98x said:

I guess I meant to ask....Is the Muo V 1st stage the same as the Atlas V first stage on the heavy and would slapping two more tanks and engines re-create the Atlas V heavy faithfully (kerbally?)

I tried it and it seems to work well. So I guess the Muo V heavy is possible. Just need to hack some decouplers to work.

I wish I had more time. I'd love it if someone made a R.S.S. patch for your mod. I plan on starting a historical playthrough once R.S.S. gets updated and your beautiful work would make replacing FASA a breeze.

Yes, Muo V is Atlas V. I wonder what happened to @IronCretin's real names config...

I'd love to have the entire mod ported to RO, especially given how much stuff has never been done before such as Vega. I also personally would like to play it with consistent art and ~aesthetic~ tankage; I've never enjoyed the current mish-mash of stockalike, 'realistic' (which, IMO, are generally low quality from a texturing POV), and ugly stretched PP textures...

5 minutes ago, PickledTripod said:

The first launch or two are definitely gonna happen from everything I see and read about it, but I think it'll be retired very early unless NASA wants to actually start a full on space race to put boots on Martian ground before SpaceX. And the likelyhood of that happening is very, very low.

Speaking of SpaceX, what do you think of their aesthetics @CobaltWolf?

I personally don't like the look of pretty much any of the current generation of LVs, now that we've moved from upgraded missile derivatives to more purpose built rockets. I just don't like the smooth and/or curvy plastic look, or piles of spray-on foam. I guess that's partially why I make an exception for Atlas V - it's still sorta made out of paneled metal.

4 minutes ago, Rory Yammomoto said:

Say... if you are going to do it right, I have a possible system:

1) find when a player would most likely unlock things to go to various places (Suborbit, orbit, manned orbit, moon flyby, etc...)

2) Find when the US or other country did it (1950s, 1958, 1960, 1964, etc...) to gauge when a player would be in our time.

3) place parts according to said nodes and said dates, creating a balance. Don't make all the parts for a rocket available at once - make the tanks available first, then the engines for said tanks. (let's see them try to make an Atlas tank with some Redstone engines fly...)

There isn't enough room in the stock tech tree to space things out like that. It needs to be twice as long, minimum. Since creating a better tech tree, frankly, isn't my job... I just want it to work 'good enough' in the stock one. Our issue is more things like certain parts unlocking several nodes before the rest of their related parts, etc.

3 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Yes, Muo V is Atlas V. I wonder what happened to @IronCretin's real names config...

I'd love to have the entire mod ported to RO, especially given how much stuff has never been done before such as Vega. I also personally would like to play it with consistent art and ~aesthetic~ tankage; I've never enjoyed the current mish-mash of stockalike, 'realistic' (which, IMO, are generally low quality from a texturing POV), and ugly stretched PP textures...

I personally don't like the look of pretty much any of the current generation of LVs, now that we've moved from upgraded missile derivatives to more purpose built rockets. I just don't like the smooth and/or curvy plastic look, or piles of spray-on foam. I guess that's partially why I make an exception for Atlas V - it's still sorta made out of paneled metal.

There isn't enough room in the stock tech tree to space things out like that. It needs to be twice as long, minimum. Since creating a better tech tree, frankly, isn't my job... I just want it to work 'good enough' in the stock one. Our issue is more things like certain parts unlocking several nodes before the rest of their related parts, etc.

Re. that bit about the tech tree, how many people do you think will be using BDB but not also using CTT?

2 minutes ago, Nnimrod said:

Re. that bit about the tech tree, how many people do you think will be using BDB but not also using CTT?

CTT is great, but the thing is I can't assume that everyone has it, and I don't want to make it a dependency, since at the end of the day, we don't 'need it'. I generally dislike messing with cfgs when I could be modeling and texturing, so I don't want to try and maintain two different tech trees. For what it's worth, we have some old CTT compatibility configs. They're outdated though and are missing all the new stuff, so they need to be updated.

23 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Real rocket-hipster right there :wink:

Also I like the capsule landing gear, will you add those or are they just for fun?

Edited by EmbersArc

3 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

CTT is great, but the thing is I can't assume that everyone has it, and I don't want to make it a dependency, since at the end of the day, we don't 'need it'. I generally dislike messing with cfgs when I could be modeling and texturing, so I don't want to try and maintain two different tech trees. For what it's worth, we have some old CTT compatibility configs. They're outdated though and are missing all the new stuff, so they need to be updated.

I have saves in 1.2 using CTT and stock, so I know both sides. I will be working on them soon(tm)

1 minute ago, minepagan said:

I have saves in 1.2 using CTT and stock, so I know both sides. I will be working on them soon(tm)

It's all well and good to say that but I have a lot of people offer to do things that never wind up happening. So forgive me if I still consider this help request 'open' until I have a finalized commit on Github. :)

1 hour ago, minepagan said:

You live in New Orleans? I've driven by Michoud a couple of times and seen a big, reflective LOX-tank-like thing sitting outside. It looks suspiciously like the ICPS.

Edited by hieywiey

@CobaltWolf, I took a closer look at the Saturn Multibody (http://wiki.alternatehistory.com/lib/exe/detail.php?id=timelines%3Aeyes_turned_skyward_media&media=timelines:launchers3.png). It in fact looks more like it is brown metal paneling, rather than orange spray-on foam. That being said: can you guess what time it is? :^)

3 minutes ago, awsumindyman said:

@CobaltWolf, I took a closer look at the Saturn Multibody (http://wiki.alternatehistory.com/lib/exe/detail.php?id=timelines%3Aeyes_turned_skyward_media&media=timelines:launchers3.png). It in fact looks more like it is brown metal paneling, rather than orange spray-on foam. That being said: can you guess what time it is? :^)

Time for you to get a watch? And it's orange spray-on insulation, same as the shuttle. WHY they felt a need to put it on the kerosene tank as well, I have no idea. I might go the @NecroBones route and only put the insulation on the LOX tank...

EDIT: Also, just to weigh in here, the SLS is a stupid rocket. Why the hell would you throw away 4 flight-hardware (aka historic!), very expensive SSMEs every flight, along with two of the shuttle SRBs? From what I've seen they're not planning on recovering any of it.

Edited by CobaltWolf

Just now, CobaltWolf said:

Time for you to get a watch? And it's orange spray-on insulation, same as the shuttle. WHY they felt a need to put it on the kerosene tank as well, I have no idea. I might go the @NecroBones route and only put the insulation on the LOX tank...

Please, just as long as you make the tank. Heck, I was even wondering if I should suggest it being plain white, just so long as you made it!

12 minutes ago, hieywiey said:

You live in New Orleans? I've driven by Michoud a couple of times and seen a big, reflective LOX-tank-like thing sitting outside. It looks suspiciously like the ICPS.

The ICPS is NOT the SLS....I don't even know what to say. Both SLS and Orion are being developed at the Marshall Spaceflight Center in north AL....I can hear engine tests from my house....

9 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

EDIT: Also, just to weigh in here, the SLS is a stupid rocket. Why the hell would you throw away 4 flight-hardware (aka historic!), very expensive SSMEs every flight, along with two of the shuttle SRBs? From what I've seen they're not planning on recovering any of it.

Yeah that's stupid. Apparently they want to use other engines, but are being forced to because the SSMEs are already man rated and its "cheaper" in the short term.....

SRBs I thought would be recovered though, but I might be wrong.

11 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Why the hell would you throw away 4 flight-hardware (aka historic!), very expensive SSMEs every flight, along with two of the shuttle SRBs? From what I've seen they're not planning on recovering any of it.

b/c omg so kurbal

I'm trying to build a Diamant A with Asterix payload in my KSP career. Going off the manual(which I assume is outdated since the Brun parts have been renamed Viklun), I'm trying to figure out what the nosecose/fairing is. I figured it was the standard Viklun fairing, but it looks like its two different colors in the manual. What am I missing?

37 minutes ago, Spike88 said:

I'm trying to build a Diamant A with Asterix payload in my KSP career. Going off the manual(which I assume is outdated since the Brun parts have been renamed Viklun), I'm trying to figure out what the nosecose/fairing is. I figured it was the standard Viklun fairing, but it looks like its two different colors in the manual. What am I missing?

You're not missing anything. :) In the 1.0 release I removed the stripe from the fairing texture, since if you were doing any sort of long fairing it would wind up looking like a pair of striped socks when the texture started repeating...

Black_Gray_Striped_Socks_343_1__21893__9

1 minute ago, IronCretin said:

I'm still working on it, I've been a bit busy, but I've "only" got Saturn, Titan, and Juno left, plus the new things like aardv and vega.

x1f44c.png.pagespeed.ic.qQ_OSCTg3l.png

Just now, Cdw2468 said:

They should have at least tried to implement an abort system on it, the capsule was the last thing to survive in the 2 failures, so it was clearly strong enough. Furthermore, any abort system they would have implemented would have been significantly safer than 2 giant srbs on the side.

Well, the SLS will have such an abort system, so I feel significantly more comfortable with the use of SRBs. Also when the SLS was initially created, the plan was to eventually replace the solid rocket boosters with LRBs, but it looks like that will not happen anytime in the near future.