[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

@Jso may have placed a moratorium on new parts, but that still let me make some improvements to the LR87-LH2 engine! It now has buttless/1.25m/1.5/1.875m mounting options with WBI mesh switching. I'd like to also include switchable engine shrouds using some other new stuff @Angel-125 is working on. Obviously that capability has a lot of other potential uses that we can explore moving forward. I forgot to take screenshots soooooo....

Also, @IronCretin's Real Names config is up on the Github in the 'BD Extras' folder. Check it out! It was a crazy amount of work to not only renamed everything, but also rewrite most of the descriptions!

32 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

@Jso may have placed a moratorium on new parts,

For good reason... We're going to wear out our saluting muscles, cause the surprise will be worth it :D 

--------

It'd be pretty cool too if the shrou---

32 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

I'd like to also include switchable engine shrouds using some other new stuff @Angel-125 is working on

Aha. Well played. *clap*

No really, it looks spiffy, and would be much more utilitarian ultimately. It's the little engine that could!

Edited by komodo
because screw you forum quotes

8 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

@Jso may have placed a moratorium on new parts, but that still let me make some improvements to the LR87-LH2 engine! It now has buttless/1.25m/1.5/1.875m mounting options with WBI mesh switching. I'd like to also include switchable engine shrouds using some other new stuff @Angel-125 is working on. Obviously that capability has a lot of other potential uses that we can explore moving forward. I forgot to take screenshots soooooo....

Also, @IronCretin's Real Names config is up on the Github in the 'BD Extras' folder. Check it out! It was a crazy amount of work to not only renamed everything, but also rewrite most of the descriptions!

That sounds like I missed something, is he unavailable due to IRL stuff? If you want to make new parts and need configs to be written while he's not there you could always ask me :wink:

Anyway new engine mounting options are cool but I'd wait a little bit before adding switchable shrouds. Last time the (maybe) upcoming stock rocket parts overhaul was discussed in the devnotes they mentioned that they were considering adding procedural fairings to decouplers and completely getting rid of the inflexible engine shrouds. There's a lot of uncertainty surrounding future plans now that Porkjet is gone but I'd wait at least for a confirmations of their future plans, this would be a big change and it would be cool if modders adopted it.

1 hour ago, PickledTripod said:

That sounds like I missed something, is he unavailable due to IRL stuff? If you want to make new parts and need configs to be written while he's not there you could always ask me :wink:

Anyway new engine mounting options are cool but I'd wait a little bit before adding switchable shrouds. Last time the (maybe) upcoming stock rocket parts overhaul was discussed in the devnotes they mentioned that they were considering adding procedural fairings to decouplers and completely getting rid of the inflexible engine shrouds. There's a lot of uncertainty surrounding future plans now that Porkjet is gone but I'd wait at least for a confirmations of their future plans, this would be a big change and it would be cool if modders adopted it.

No, he asked that I slow down on adding new parts so that he can stabilize the balance of the mod. I'm taking the time to try and get some obligations to others mods done. I still have to figure out how to fix SEP, finish the Taerobee mod for Beale, maybe finish the Cacteye telescope revamp...

And it's not that much work for me to add some new shrouds, and honestly at this point I doubt that Squad will finish that revamp...

11 minutes ago, _Krieger_ said:

You asked for it.

I haven't had much free time lately due to college, but I had enough to finish this today.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nhq7be8pn9bobpp/bluedog_saturnV.dds?dl=0

Oh crap I still have to fix those UVs for you... Mind if I start putting these into a 'Realistic Retextures folder' in the new BD_Extras folder? :) That's looking awesome!

Edited by CobaltWolf

Just now, CobaltWolf said:

Oh crap I still have to fix those UVs for you... Mind if I start putting these into a 'Realistic Retextures folder' in the new BD_Extras folder? :)

Feel free to do so, they're still WIP though and they will be updated. 

The UVs are the only major issue I found so far, I'll let you know if I find anything else.

20 minutes ago, _Krieger_ said:

Feel free to do so, they're still WIP though and they will be updated. 

The UVs are the only major issue I found so far, I'll let you know if I find anything else.

I fixed the UVs and uploaded them to Github :) And I threw the texture up there too. I just want to make sure I maintain a repository/backup of all the cool stuff everyone does so that they don't get lost. Since if the BDB Github goes down... well, we have bigger issues at that point haha

EDIT: I think you've logged issues on Github before? If you want you could make PRs with any updates you have. Some of the other things, like the Atlas tank, might be good for this sort of thing.

Edited by CobaltWolf

52 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

I fixed the UVs and uploaded them to Github :) And I threw the texture up there too. I just want to make sure I maintain a repository/backup of all the cool stuff everyone does so that they don't get lost. Since if the BDB Github goes down... well, we have bigger issues at that point haha

EDIT: I think you've logged issues on Github before? If you want you could make PRs with any updates you have. Some of the other things, like the Atlas tank, might be good for this sort of thing.

I have not actually, I could make a Github account though. I could totally give other parts the same treatment ( make a USA and KSP version)!

EDIT: I made a Github account, just have to figure out how to use it now. BTW you left some .mbm textures on the Saturn folder, the .dds ones only worked when I removed them and one of the black stripes is still upside down, the white parts all look right though.

Edited by _Krieger_

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

I still have to figure out how to fix SEP,

You know, I was waiting eagerly for SEP, and then forgot all about it because I had finally given in and downloaded BDB. Now you just reminded me about it. I may put KSP on the back burner until SEP and KCT get updated, especially since I have a plethora of PS4 games I need to finish, and Dishonored 2 is coming out next week.

No, he asked that I slow down on adding new parts so that he can stabilize the balance of the mod. I'm taking the time to try and get some obligations to others mods done. I still have to figure out how to fix SEP, finish the Taerobee mod for Beale, maybe finish the Cacteye telescope revamp...

And it's not that much work for me to add some new shrouds, and honestly at this point I doubt that Squad will finish that revamp...

:D

7 hours ago, PickledTripod said:

No, the balance work involved in new parts and especially new rockets is too much of a distraction at the moment. Myself and @komodo have been working on tuning things for 2x, 3x, 6.4x ect. PM me if you want to help with that. We need it. Maybe I should start a thread on GitHub...

5 minutes ago, Spike88 said:

Are there an WIP shots of Skylab?

I haven't worked on it in a couple weeks. It's sort of a 'big' project that would lock me in for a while. I was taking care of smaller stuff that could (hopefully) easily be polished and pushed into a release once @Jso sorted the balance... but then I kept adding new things that were keeping him from finalizing the mod's balance... so here we are. :) Here is a screenshot I took back then; I also have the ATM's basic shape modeled, as well as the basic shape of the Spacelab ERM.

On 10/13/2016 at 11:27 AM, CobaltWolf said:

Apparently I'm a huge toolbox. Yesterday I made this while I was letting particle simulations cache on a lab computer. I uploaded it to imgur. And promptly forgot to post it. Apparently.

ImPQ76i.png

I haven't worked on it in a couple weeks. It's sort of a 'big' project that would lock me in for a while. I was taking care of smaller stuff that could (hopefully) easily be polished and pushed into a release once @Jso sorted the balance... but then I kept adding new things that were keeping him from finalizing the mod's balance... so here we are. :) Here is a screenshot I took back then; I also have the ATM's basic shape modeled, as well as the basic shape of the Spacelab ERM.

I'm not that familiar with ETS, especially since I actually like the shuttle(blasphemy, I know), so I'm not familiar with the ERM spacelab. However I am eagerly anticipating your Skylab. I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Edited by Spike88

2 hours ago, Spike88 said:

I'm not that familiar with ETS, especially since I actually like the shuttle(blasphemy, I know), so I'm not familiar with the ERM spacelab. However I am eagerly anticipating your Skylab. I can't wait to get my hands on it.

nobody doesn't like the shuttle

5 minutes ago, Nnimrod said:

nobody doesn't like the shuttle

Let's not start this... I have a fairly negative opinion of it but it always makes me miserable when people start arguing between Saturn/Shuttle/SLS on the thread... For all intents and purposes, assume that BDB portrays a shuttle-less view of things.

EDIT: Also, I forgot to plug it here, but I'm hanging out on @akron's dev stream tonight. You can hear me talking on voice chat. Honestly I'd be ok with having a discussion there but not here. If it gets out of hand again here I'll probably ping a mod.

https://www.twitch.tv/akron712

Edited by CobaltWolf

33 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Let's not start this... I have a fairly negative opinion of it but it always makes me miserable when people start arguing between Saturn/Shuttle/SLS on the thread... For all intents and purposes, assume that BDB portrays a shuttle-less view of things.

Wasn't trying to start anything with my comment. In my head cannon my space program has the funding to run both the shuttle and ETS programs side by side, which is why I also have Cormorant Aeronology installed along with BDB.

On the subject of BDB I did notice that Ares is mentioned on the roadmap, is this the same Ares from the cancelled Constellation Program, or something else?

15 minutes ago, Spike88 said:

Wasn't trying to start anything with my comment. In my head cannon my space program has the funding to run both the shuttle and ETS programs side by side, which is why I also have Cormorant Aeronology installed along with BDB.

On the subject of BDB I did notice that Ares is mentioned on the roadmap, is this the same Ares from the cancelled Constellation Program, or something else?

Ares was a 1980ish mars mission based on the AAP. Someone made a good vid of it on Youtube, if you're interested.

1 hour ago, Spike88 said:

1 hour ago, minepagan said:

Ares was a 1980ish mars mission based on the AAP. Someone made a good vid of it on Youtube, if you're interested.

It's actually from Voyage, by Stephen Baxter. But it's one of the most iconic designs for a Saturn-derived Mars mission. As far as I'm concerned a Duna sortie and/or Mun/Minmus base would be the sort of 'end goal' for the mod. With plenty more along the way, and possibly more after, of course. :) But it's not something on my mind right now.

scr_03_01.JPG

scr_03_00.JPG

This album by reddit user Winged_7 should give you an idea of the scale:

http://imgur.com/a/fwFcg

10 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

It's actually from Voyage, by Stephen Baxter. But it's one of the most iconic designs for a Saturn-derived Mars mission. As far as I'm concerned a Duna sortie and/or Mun/Minmus base would be the sort of 'end goal' for the mod. With plenty more along the way, and possibly more after, of course. :) But it's not something on my mind right now.

This album by reddit user Winged_7 should give you an idea of the scale:

http://imgur.com/a/fwFcg

And @winged has a video on his channel.

Edited by legoclone09