[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

10 hours ago, CaptainPanda said:

Are there parts for the 4 'windmill' solar panels on the Hokulani, yet, or will they be coming in a future update?

Yup! They were included in the original release. They *should* come up in the VAB if you search Skylab. 

10 hours ago, flamerboy67664 said:

I wonder what the payload fairings look like for that thing

Same as normal Skylab! The European Research Module and the Airlock (note that there will also be an alternate adapter part to reflect the change in the airlock's location) were added later using AARDV tugs (basically, an automated Block III service module with a docking port on top)

57 minutes ago, notJebKerman said:

@CobaltWolf I really like the new Spacelab parts. But were the ion engines & RCS ever released? From the screenshots posted they seemed pretty much done...

I never got around to getting them in game. I tend to follow a 'path of least resistance' when it comes to working; if i don't feel like getting the Unity and cfg setup done (which are by far the most boring part), I just work on new models textures. It all tends to work out, though I know I'm very overdue for a release and I apologize. I had one day last week where i could work on Unity/cfg stuff but i spent it getting the revamped Apollo stuff in game. The Spacelab stuff kind of just happened because someone was talking to me about it and i got inspired. 

In general, to let people know where my head is at right now: As much as i love smaller launchers and probes, I think the most important part of BDB (to me and most people) is the manned stuff, especially the expanded Apollo and Saturn parts. They've also been fairly underdeveloped in the mod so far. I'd like to orient my work back towards that after this release. Big things near the top of that list - mostly because there is some measure of work done for the already - would include the ETS Saturn, Spacelab and AARDV Block 2 parts, the AJ-260 boosters, E-1, as well as Big G, the Gemini lander, and possibly LDC Titan; however, I'd also like to get an update out that focuses more on payloads so lifters like that are still on the back seat for now. As always, I have finite time and there's always so much stuff that can be done. I've mentioned it before but there is definitely room in the world for BDB expansions in areas I do not have time to cover. While i don't have time to hold peoples hands, those that are self-starters and are willing to put the time in will get some measure of direct support from me and other modders working in the 'stockalike real world rockets' universe. 

4 minutes ago, notJebKerman said:

This seems like a good place to ask this, so... Does anyone know how Spacelab airlock was delievered in ETS? It seems too small to justify a Saturn 1C launch, yet it required a tug - probably AARDV for randzevous and docking. 

Saturn 1C + AARDV as tug.

AARDV-4

Launched: December, 1979

LV: Saturn 1C

Spacecraft: AARDV-4 (bus), Airlock Module (payload)

Unmanned flight

Fourth flight of the AARDV vehicle, first use in role as bus for modular station components. Airlock Module fitted with adaptor in place of Aardvark pressurized logistics module. Module docked to Spacelab zenith port by Spacelab 4 crew, bus detatched and allowed to destructively enter the atmosphere in December.

Edited by Drakenex
ooops!

4 minutes ago, Drakenex said:

Saturn 1C + AARDV as tug.

AARDV-4

Launched: December, 1979

LV: Saturn 1C

Spacecraft: AARDV-4 (bus), Airlock Module (payload)

Unmanned flight

Fourth flight of the AARDV vehicle, first use in role as bus for modular station components. Airlock Module fitted with adaptor in place of Aardvark pressurized logistics module. Module docked to Spacelab zenith port by Spacelab 4 crew, bus detatched and allowed to destructively enter the atmosphere in December.

Thank you for a quick reply. It just seemed odd to me that such a small module would be launched the same way other, way bigger modules are. Russians, for example, used Soyuz rather than Proton for Pirs and Poisk (that actually seem quite similar to SL airlock). 

53 minutes ago, notJebKerman said:

Thank you for a quick reply. It just seemed odd to me that such a small module would be launched the same way other, way bigger modules are. Russians, for example, used Soyuz rather than Proton for Pirs and Poisk (that actually seem quite similar to SL airlock). 

It's closer in size to Rassvet, maybe bigger. Gotta remember just how big Skylab is. :) 

11 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

It's closer in size to Rassvet, maybe bigger. Gotta remember just how big Skylab is. :) 

I'd say twice?

ISS_Size_Comparison_1200x700_RK2011.jpg

4 minutes ago, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:

@CobaltWolf Can you please provide a link with information about that "SpaceLab" that you made, because I only know of the shuttle one.

yes, I'm not CW :P

Spacelab

Sole American space station as of 1982. Heavily modified and upgraded version of Skylab, it was designed to serve as the home of ASTP II, where Soviet and American spacefarers would spend several months together in space. After doing so, it became a joint US-European station with the addition of the European Research Module, ERM, in October 1979. Routinely plays host to American and European astronauts.

sl-jpg.202674

sl11-sml-jpg.202524

Edited by Drakenex

15 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

I didn't really consider that. But yeah, Skylab was enormous - it had a pressurised volume similar to that of Mir, but required a single launch. 

Edited by notJebKerman

1 hour ago, notJebKerman said:

I didn't really consider that. But yeah, Skylab was enormous - it had a pressurised volume similar to that of Mir, but required a single launch. 

Perks of having one of the largest boosters ever flown sitting in a pile of mothballs collecting dust :P 

This video really puts it into perspective

So Comments and then a question

Cobalt, LOVE LOVE LOVE the new Spacelab parts.  But is it heresy if I use CA Buran and LCA Energia to launch the add on parts to the core Spacelab station?   :P

Ok, Joking aside and this is an ETS question more than not,  Was there ever an upgraded F-1 proposed after F-1A?

Hello. I decided to reinstall the game after a long time and i got only this mod.My game is stuck at "Loading Resources". The last thing in the log is:

ArgumentOutOfRangeException: startIndex + length > this.length
Parameter name: length
    System.String.Substring (Int32 startIndex, Int32 length)
    PartResourceDefinition.GetShortName (Int32 length)
    PartResourceDefinition.Load (.ConfigNode node)
    PartResourceDefinitionList.Add (.ConfigNode node)
    PartResourceLibrary.LoadDefinitions ()
    GameDatabase+
    .MoveNext ()
    UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (IEnumerator enumerator, IntPtr returnValueAddress)

Does anyone have an idea what is going wrong?

Full log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yecmx8hctcw46f6/log171101.txt?dl=0

20 hours ago, Pappystein said:

Cobalt, LOVE LOVE LOVE the new Spacelab parts.  But is it heresy if I use CA Buran and LCA Energia to launch the add on parts to the core Spacelab station?   :P

Ok, Joking aside and this is an ETS question more than not,  Was there ever an upgraded F-1 proposed after F-1A?

Not 100% sure, but there's an F-1B in Real Scale Boosters.  RSB generally follows ETS pretty closely.

22 hours ago, Pappystein said:

Among the key capabilities of the Saturn 1C was the throttle added to the F-1 as part of F-1A development. While the F-1 (and F-1A) were originally designed with the aim of being used on the Saturn V where late-burn acceleration was controlled by shutting down engines, the F-1A had the ability to throttle to 75%, a capability that was critical in avoiding excessive acceleration later in the S-1E burn on Saturn 1C.

As far as I know, F1-B was a recent study for the SLS "pyrios" LF boosters.

2 hours ago, Pappystein said:

I meant in the ETS time line not Real World

I am new to this mod and enjoying it immensely however, you folks have confused me on several occasions when you switch between discussing Real World and Eyes Turned Skywards. I must admit it has been perversely entertaining to be thus confused. I nearly posted comments about how there never was any second version of skylab! - what planet are you guys on? (doh, Kerbin obviously). I am getting with the Program now. Maybe you need to use some kind of tag (eg. OOC) to indicate if you are discussing RL or ETS. But don't mind me - carry on :D

10 hours ago, Drakenex said:

As far as I know, F1-B was a recent study for the SLS "pyrios" LF boosters.

And, interestingly, as near as i can tell that booster design in turn dates back to a mid-80s proposal for something called 'Comet Saturn', albeit I think without the F-1B. 

2 hours ago, Kaa253 said:

I am new to this mod and enjoying it immensely however, you folks have confused me on several occasions when you switch between discussing Real World and Eyes Turned Skywards. I must admit it has been perversely entertaining to be thus confused. I nearly posted comments about how there never was any second version of skylab! - what planet are you guys on? (doh, Kerbin obviously). I am getting with the Program now. Maybe you need to use some kind of tag (eg. OOC) to indicate if you are discussing RL or ETS. But don't mind me - carry on :D

Unfortunately ETS isn't the only non-RL thing that features in BDB, though i believe it's the only thing that isn't just random proposals. 

46 minutes ago, SomeGuyNamedDave said:

found the upgraded centaur engine, that said don't use as it said it was unfinished, i didn't have any issues with it. is there any bugs i should look out for?

I honestly don't even remember what the bug was at this point. Thanks for reminding me to look at it though - that was one of my goals for this update.