[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

I think I made it too shiny. There's still some work to be done on the tanks I think.

I like the Titan II shiny... The Titan III/IV..... no, not really so much there.    IMHO the only shiny parts on Titan 3/4 should be the band, between the Oxidizer and Fuel tanks, that tends to look blue-ish in most of the closeup photos... and maybe the very ends of the tanks

So, as a reminder, it's not just that it's an ablative cover. It's that the majority of the nozzle is a piece of ablator that's bolted on. There's no regenerative tubing underneath it. So if I didn't put the ablator on, the nozzle would be reaaaaaalllly short.

True for the LR-91... and the LR-87-AJ-9 and AJ-11/11A do have extensions as such.    I will retract my statement.    I may not like the looks of them but they are all there IS to that engine so... 

I think partially the AJ3's shape is due to things like proper thrust chamber design not being as understood as they were, say, ten years later. I'm not sure what you mean by pogo devices.

I could see that, the AJ-3 has the shape of almost all of the LR-79 family.  

RE Pogo device.  The densely finned area on the Turbo-pump Exhaust ports.  On the -5 you have it as the smallest enlarged cylinder surrounding the pipe (closest to the 90 degree elbow by the pump) and on the -3 you drew them in.   I am just suggesting the -5 have vertical lines added (currently it looks like a smaller than the rest Pipe junction/compression fitting.  It is interesting to note that all of your recent engine textures have had the Pogo eliminators on the main lines into the engines.  But this is the first engine where you have them on the Turbo-exhaust pipes.   But then Again, this was the first engine that they were developed for in the US so they may be been over-applied by Aerojet....

I think I might reduce the chonk-factor of the Titan 2 LR-91. I can't find any photos of them with the wider bell, only the narrower ones.

IIRC a bigger bell is part of the LR91-AJ-9/11 and -11a engines.   Not the -5/-7s that you are currently working on.  

Oh for followup.   The actuator to actually spin and rotate the Turbopump exhaust on the -5 would be a nice add...  I don't know how it should look (worm gear and electric motor or hydraulic/hydro-static/pneumatic actuator) but that would be the biggest missing detail can think of that could be added.   RE the -3 I think you were onto something with the support structures in your stream

Edited by Pappystein
grammar fixes

The Feng Shui of the rocket seems a bit off.  Maybe we should add a shade garden between the first and second stage, have some plants hang out of the exhaust holes.  Then I was thinking we could bolt on some Victorian light fixtures to the second stage.  We might need to paint the Gemini in a burgundy, but we'll see how the other fixes work first.

37 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

Oh for followup.   The actuator to actually spin and rotate the Turbopump exhaust on the -5 would be a nice add...  I don't know how it should look (worm gear and electric motor or hydraulic/hydro-static/pneumatic actuator) but that would be the biggest missing detail can think of that could be added.   RE the -3 I think you were onto something with the support structures in your stream

had to go quote myself because I was too durn blind the first time I wrote this....

Ignore the mention of the exhaust rotate actuator  I see you have it at-least mocked up in the images you posted.

Hi there. I've got a little problem with Venus flyby communications dish. The thing is it doesn't exist in tech tree in career or science mode, it doesn't shown, and doesn't aquired when you get the 'electronics'. But in sandbox mode when you dont need to learn it, everything is ok, i can choose it in VAB.
I've got relatively clean install, only BDB with Scatterer, Real Plume, DOE.
I'm sorry for disturbing, i dont know what i did wrong.)

2 hours ago, G_Force080491 said:

Hi there. I've got a little problem with Venus flyby communications dish. The thing is it doesn't exist in tech tree in career or science mode, it doesn't shown, and doesn't aquired when you get the 'electronics'. But in sandbox mode when you dont need to learn it, everything is ok, i can choose it in VAB.
I've got relatively clean install, only BDB with Scatterer, Real Plume, DOE.
I'm sorry for disturbing, i dont know what i did wrong.)

DOE = Distant Object Enhancement?

I am just about to unlock those parts myself in my current career... so I will check and respond back in a bit.   But as a Suggestion.  Delete your BDB directory and then download and install it again.   I have had this issue happen with other parts in various mods in the past when updates didn't apply perfectly....  

=====================================UPDATE=================================

I have not unlocked the Electronics Node yet (I am 195 Science points away ATM) but while the CFG file and Modmanager logs say it is in Electronics there is no Venus Fly By Antenna visible in the node.

I have verified the issue is a type-o in the CFG:

TechRequired = Electronics

should be

TechRequired = electronics

in file

bluedog_Saturn_VFB_Dish.cfg

Edited by Pappystein

Thanks for bringing that to our attention @G_Force080491 and thanks for figuring out the fix @Pappystein :)

Thread seems a little dead lately... we need something interesting to look at...

M3UgP5I.png
8OPjNxb.png
NixMkVi.png
bOXCVqk.png
Uv7aOEi.png
Lru7M0m.png
s8vma2B.png

EDIT: Oh, also, last night these were brought to my attention and I may or may not have impulse bought them, so now I never have to buy another set of cufflinks since now I have a set. And they are quite... unique...

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by CobaltWolf

2 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

s-l1600.jpg

First off,   WOW nice F-1 model!   I can't wait for it to arrive in game.  

But more importantly  given your new acquisition above does that mean we will see an expansion or update of the Vega in game?    :)

I am kidding but now I am thinking about taking the 2x Centaur engine plate and seeing if to X-405Hs will fit under the 1.875m inter-stage :)... Throw on an Atlas Medium fuselage in-place of the Vega tank.....   The thoughts are percolating :)

Design lead: We still have too many Atlas 2A's to justify scrapping them and simply using the 3A instead, but they don't have enough thrust right now for our missions. Suggestions?

Engineer: What if we just strap some SRBs on the side and call it a day?

Design lead: ...Sure. Why not?

39 minutes ago, Jall said:

Design lead: We still have too many Atlas 2A's to justify scrapping them and simply using the 3A instead, but they don't have enough thrust right now for our missions. Suggestions?

Engineer: What if we just strap some SRBs on the side and call it a day?

Design lead: ...Sure. Why not?

Not to burst your bubble, but IIAS first flew in 1993 and IIIA first flew in 2000. :)@Zorg, those are awesome!

5 hours ago, RocketPCGaming said:

@CobaltWolf The work you put into BDB, that is one Hell of a portfolio of your talent! And the rocket engine cuff links and tie clip, EPIC! 

Thank you! :)

2 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Not to burst your bubble, but IIAS first flew in 1993 and IIIA first flew in 2000

Fair enough, should've done more research before commenting! It still feels very kerbal to just strap a couple boosters on. Certainly looks amazing though

56 minutes ago, Jall said:

Fair enough, should've done more research before commenting! It still feels very kerbal to just strap a couple boosters on. Certainly looks amazing though

Boosted Atlas was a concept as early as the 1960s, with considerations given to Castors and minuteman derived solids. It just never was worth the development time until the 1990s.

48 minutes ago, Jall said:

Too me, the entire story of Atlas as both a Ballistic Missile and a SLV is Kerbal to the max... Just no boosters until the IIAS... 

We want a bigger payload for our new Nuclear Warhead.... Stretch Atlas, throw a couple enlarged H-1 engines from that new fangled Saturn Program.. Viola

We need more Delta-V.   Put MOAR thrust in the booster skirt and stretch the tanks.  Who cares if ISP goes down slightly!

We want a new upper stage that will use this new-fangled thing called Liquid Hydrogen.   Sure just take our existing tank and slap a different engine on it... Oops we needed to insulate it.   Regurgiate eating all the funds needed for your OTHER TWO Croyogenic stages (Centaur JR and Big Centaur) and yup...

Wow that Cryogenic stage is going to take for ever....  Ok lets find a good LFO engine, Shrink down the Fuel tank in the Cryogenic tank, drop the heavy insulation.... Viola   Vega.

I think there are only 4 rockets that are MOAR Kerbal than Atlas....   Europa is probably the closest to Kerbal... Followed by the H-II (come on TWO different SRBs and you use them both at once!)  Next is Angara (although that one was designed from the outset for the MOAR BOOSTERS so IDK) and finally Titan.    Titan would be further up on the list except that most of the KERBAL aspects were canceled early on (Soltan, CTD-156x, Aluminize gel fuel, Hypergolic, LDC, etc)

Maybe this has been discussed before and I'm too lazy to read through years of thread history, but is this name in reference to the Titan I in Cordele, Georgia?

6n5XN8q.png

Image result for Titan I, Cordele Georgia

I've driven through that town dozens of times since I was a kid, and I still have no idea why or how they got their hands on it.

57 minutes ago, pTrevTrevs said:

I still have no idea why or how they got their hands on it.

It was probably extremely simple at the time to send in a form and receive a communist repelling device via mail in return.

(I kid, I kid!!!...)

59 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

I think there are only 4 rockets that are MOAR Kerbal than Atlas....   Europa is probably the closest to Kerbal... Followed by the H-II (come on TWO different SRBs and you use them both at once!)  Next is Angara (although that one was designed from the outset for the MOAR BOOSTERS so IDK) and finally Titan.    Titan would be further up on the list except that most of the KERBAL aspects were canceled early on (Soltan, CTD-156x, Aluminize gel fuel, Hypergolic, LDC, etc)

I think the Indian PSLV is one of the most Kerbal (of rockets that were built and flown) in the sense that it has the feel of something put together with parts lying around lego style. You have a choice of 3 different types of SRB boosters, ok nothing weird about about that but lets look at the core stack

Stage 1 is an HTPB solid motor

Stage 2 is N2O2/UDMH hypergolic

Stage 3 back to a solid HTPB again

Stage 4 switch back to hypergolics again! but this time a different fuel, MMH/MON

Lets also not forget the Saturn 1, its first stage was a jupiter tank with 8 redstone tanks slapped around it (presumably because they hadn't unlocked the tech node for a bigger tank :P )

48 minutes ago, Zorg said:

Lets also not forget the Saturn 1, its first stage was a jupiter tank with 8 redstone tanks slapped around it (presumably because they hadn't unlocked the tech node for a bigger tank :P )

Actually that is more than a little false... on two sides.

1) No Jupiter nor Redstone tanks were used.   The TOOLS to make said tanks were used and the Saturn Tanks were the same diameter as said Jupiter and Redstone tanks.   They were derived tanks... not actual Jupiter/Redstone.   But that is besides the point.

2) the whole reason for that ugly amalgamation was simply this.   "we need to keep costs down while selling this HUGE way to big Rocket to the US Army.  So we will re-use these existing tools to avoid heavy costs."     The Tool cost for a S-1E or S-1F type monolithic first stage at the time would have been the cost of 2 or 3 Saturn IB flights.  AT the time (remember this is pre Kennedy's speach)    To my mind that is about as FAR as you can get from Kerbal (if it was kerbal you would slap more things on to make it go better...   The S-1'/-1B tank was an in-efficient waste that barely allowed the mission to be completed.

Now I Totally did forget about the PSLV...    What a unique way to not have to worry about calculating Delta V.   Drop a pair of Hypergolic motors after your SRMs....      IF I recall, MMH/MON is less caustic than UDMH/NTO....   That alone would allow the tanks to be "lightened" for the final stage.  But your guess is as good as mine.

And yes that deserves being on the list!.    (Thinks about combining MX parts with 1.5m Hypergolic parts to dummy up a PSLV....)

Edited by Pappystein

8 hours ago, Zorg said:

Sounds like me in Kerbal in the beginning :D 

Well at-least Jeb likes the idea...  After all he is credited to all the cheap, err used, err gently handled  cost effective parts in Stock :)

Oh and someone commented off channel to me that I forgot the most Kerbal Hypothetical but proposed Atlas version.   

We the Air Force, need an EVEN bigger rocket to carry an even Bigger Warhead....  Lets stretch the tank in both directions, in the larger skirt lets put 4 booster engines instead of the normal 2 and oh and if we need moar thrust we can STILL use that slightly enlarged H-1 variant from that new fangled Saturn Program.  You know, the one that the stupid Army is doing with funds that should belong to us.   "All the Funds Belong to us" :sticktongue:

FTR at Kerbal scale that would have been a 2.5m Diameter Atlas long before anyone thought about putting a Russian RD-180 on the bottom of Atlas.  Oh and proper Balloon tankage meaning the Rocket weighs next to nothing comparatively....  Course it there is an accident with the handleing of the rocket... POOF no more rocket as it will collapse just like the Balloon it's named after.

Edited by Pappystein

52 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

Course it there is an accident with the handleing of the rocket... POOF no more rocket as it will collapse just like the Balloon it's named after. 

Yeah, it tends to just fold over on itself:

Sorry for the double-post, but I managed to put together the Minerva Rocket from Nixonshead's Kolyma's Shaddow

Early Flight!
screenshot10.png

Booster Sep!
screenshot12.png

Staging!
screenshot13.png

Circularization on the Second stage
screenshot17.png

Engines, centaur, and 1.5m boosters from BDB, most other parts from Restock (Don't @Nertea's 2.5m tanks look fantastic?).

Edited by TimothyC
Glitches everywhere