[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

I'm currently making a new trailer/demo/short for v2 of Modular Launch Pads, and one segment will be a Mercury-Atlas launch using the BDB Mercury Atlas.

Here is the unedited video for it, using the audio of John Glenn's Friendship 7 launch. Visuals are not Zorg-level, they're bone stock, but I can't afford to slow things down with lots of visual mods.

Yeah, I used mostly swing arms, as I wanted to be different, and I just like them better. :P 

On 8/7/2019 at 8:39 PM, Jay The Amazing Toaster said:

Testing other uses for the Gemini lander parts (and the helios probe core), came up with this cutie

Fits perfectly with a 2.5m heatshield

screenshot546.png?width=1123&height=702

screenshot549.png?width=1123&height=702

screenshot555.png?width=1123&height=702

One test got me next to this rocky boi.

Another broke an antennae...
screenshot556.png?width=1123&height=702

Regarding this probe, may i have the craft file for this?

Atlas SLV-3X fuel tanks

nkzNm7U.png

14 hours ago, Dragon01 said:

@CobaltWolf Since you're fiddling with Atlas, any chance of experimenting with a smooth, reflective skin? Not in line with, but even if it's optional, I'd love to see a reflective Atlas balloon tank.

Nice work on the skirt, BTW. Are you going to put retromotors in the engine fairings, like with Saturn V? It seems like a good place for them. None of the proposals ever got so far as to specify where those rockets would go, but it stands to reason they'd be there.

I experimented with it already last year. Idk. I'm still not really looking to make a lot of use of that shader.

I am planning on letting people just place their own using the Titan 2 retros or the Perfectrons. :)

12 hours ago, AlphaMensae said:

I'm currently making a new trailer/demo/short for v2 of Modular Launch Pads, and one segment will be a Mercury-Atlas launch using the BDB Mercury Atlas.

Here is the unedited video for it, using the audio of John Glenn's Friendship 7 launch. Visuals are not Zorg-level, they're bone stock, but I can't afford to slow things down with lots of visual mods.

Yeah, I used mostly swing arms, as I wanted to be different, and I just like them better. :P

10 hours ago, AlphaMensae said:

Decided to do the next manned launch segment, the Gemini-Titan II launch, using the new dev-build Titan II GLV. Again, unedited, no music yet. Audio is from the Gemini 10 launch, with John Young and Michael Collins.

Very nice! I think your Mercury-Atlas is a bit tall though.

14 minutes ago, AlphaMensae said:

I used the Atlas-Centaur craft file from BDB, and replaced the Centaur stuff with Mercury, thinking the Atlas would be the same.

Yeah, the Atlas Centaur also has a stretched first stage vs the essentially "unmodified" Atlas-Mercury
57979971-61344800-7a1c-11e9-972b-0196e36
index.php?action=dlattach;topic=26915.0;

EDIT: Perhaps more correctly, the straight stretch is replaced by the adapter, the adapter isn't simply placed on top.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=26915.0;index.php?action=dlattach;topic=26915.0;

Edited by CobaltWolf

5 hours ago, AlphaMensae said:

I used the Atlas-Centaur craft file from BDB, and replaced the Centaur stuff with Mercury, thinking the Atlas would be the same.

The way the Atlas is clamped up at the bottom could probably be improved too, see:

52 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

The way the Atlas is clamped up at the bottom could probably be improved too, see:

I didn't actually set out to make a replica of the Atlas hold-down method, just a generalized side-clamp type that could be used with almost any small rocket. :P  

But I could make some kind of riser or pedestal that would look more like the Atlas type...probably either a separate part or with a new square launch stand.

6 minutes ago, AlphaMensae said:

I didn't actually set out to make a replica of the Atlas hold-down method, just a generalized side-clamp type that could be used with almost any small rocket. :P  

But I could make some kind of riser or pedestal that would look more like the Atlas type...probably either a separate part or with a new square launch stand.

I more just meant, there should be two more clamps on the sides, higher than the ones on the front/back. :)

23 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

I more just meant, there should be two more clamps on the sides, higher than the ones on the front/back. :)

Ah, I only saw the two flipping down. :D So there's two more on the other sides?  Hmm, well, it's a more generalized stand, not like the Saturn V, Shuttle and Soyuz bases, which I did replicate to a certain degree. Everything else is "make it up yourself" :);)  

7 hours ago, AlphaMensae said:

Ah, I only saw the two flipping down. :D So there's two more on the other sides?  Hmm, well, it's a more generalized stand, not like the Saturn V, Shuttle and Soyuz bases, which I did replicate to a certain degree. Everything else is "make it up yourself" :);)  

If only SOMEONE would make the clamps as an independent part, perhaps in multiple sizes so that it can be done properly :wink:

NHqKyCxh.png

Spoiler

Why yes those are NK33s on a Fatlas. Why do you ask?

QyqWceth.png

7 hours ago, Zorg said:

If only SOMEONE would make the clamps as an independent part, perhaps in multiple sizes so that it can be done properly :wink:

NHqKyCxh.png

I know that can work, but the real one were more of a flip-down top type:

I didn't know those were the side clamps, sitting over the booster engines; I thought they were on the front and back. :D 

58 minutes ago, AlphaMensae said:

I didn't know those were the side clamps, sitting over the booster engines; I thought they were on the front and back. :D 

Yeah true. but they're close enough that I'm quite happy with the look.

15 hours ago, Zorg said:

Hide contents

Why yes those are NK33s on a Fatlas. Why do you ask?

What no NK-43 for the Sustainer?   Heck even Bobcat's old Soviet Engines mod has that model!  :P

Nice Fatlas!   Did you end up with tank wobble on it or did Autostruts keep it all purdy and solid?

Just now, Pappystein said:

What no NK-43 for the Sustainer?   Heck even Bobcat's old Soviet Engines mod has that model!  :P

Nice Fatlas!   Did you end up with tank wobble on it or did Autostruts keep it all purdy and solid?

The engine bell on the Nk43 model in RealEnginesPack was just too big. It in fact clipped into the 33s. (I have a few from realengines reconfigured and rescaled for "stock" as opposed to RO)

No wobble but I use KJR Next. Main problem was the complete lack of gimbal on the NK33s. I guess its the old model rather than the Nk33-1 or AJ26. Especially since I play with mandatory RCS which nerfs reaction wheels, control was challenging but the Atlas verniers just about managed it. I might switch to a rescaled ReStock Mainsail for next time (also NK33 but with gimbal).

Any1 had succes getting this mod to work on ksp 1.7.3?

My game is still loading with it now, while its parts were getting loaded, b9 part switch had a critical error with some parts. If one of the devs wishes to see the ksp log lmk!

1 minute ago, Cruss said:

My game is still loading with it now, while its parts were getting loaded, b9 part switch had a critical error with some parts. If one of the devs wishes to see the ksp log lmk!

It works just fine in 1.7.3. The B9 errors are not game breaking (they've been there for some time before B9 started reporting it). All of the parts with the errors are being completely replaced anyway in the next update.

4 hours ago, Cruss said:

1 hour ago, Zorg said:

It works just fine in 1.7.3. The B9 errors are not game breaking (they've been there for some time before B9 started reporting it). All of the parts with the errors are being completely replaced anyway in the next update.

Yeah, it all works fine as long as you update the dependencies. :) Those parts were in game like that for years before B9PartSwitch added those warnings. The parts in question have actually been remade completely from scratch, which is why I didn't spend an afternoon fixing those errors.