[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

5 hours ago, Cdodders said:

Where do you get that camera from? The one in the bay?

Do you mean the big cameras in @Zorgpics? They are new Gemini-stuff from BDB. Not released yet. But you can download the dev-version of BDB (look at page 1).

Edited by Cheesecake

@CobaltWolf Just to let you know, the Atlas CELV should allow surface attaching, at least on the main fuel tank. It was meant to have boosters after all. So that description for it doesn't really make sense, the one about it can't have surface attachment. 

Nvm

Edited by GoldForest

https://imgur.com/a/xz0l1te

Tested the new Atlas CELV. 

After a mis-caculation in separating the booster H-1Ds, it got into orbit just fine with the main tank of a regular Atlas A. 

The SRBs are Emeralds if any one's wondering. It looked most like the picture above. 

Edited by GoldForest

6 hours ago, GoldForest said:

@CobaltWolf Just to let you know, the Atlas CELV should allow surface attaching, at least on the main fuel tank. It was meant to have boosters after all. So that description for it doesn't really make sense, the one about it can't have surface attachment. 

Nvm

5 hours ago, GoldForest said:

https://imgur.com/a/xz0l1te

Tested the new Atlas CELV. 

After a mis-caculation in separating the booster H-1Ds, it got into orbit just fine with the main tank of a regular Atlas A. 

The SRBs are Emeralds if any one's wondering. It looked most like the picture above. 

If anyone missed it, yeah the boosters attach to the skirt like on an Atlas IIAS :) I think the proper sized boosters (based on the scale written in the diagram) are Emeralds (GEM-46s) but the GEM-60s might look a bit closer to the actual drawing.

atlas-celv.jpg

1 hour ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

@CobaltWolf Perhaps it's a bit specific, but could you please look into making a powerful downward-firing ullage motor based on the Titan SRB separation motors?

Have you tried the one from the Titan 1? The big red one?

Also, a couple things - one, y'all should check out the Castor-120 since it now has *4* variants, with mesh switching! The base Castor-120, the air lit version for the Carrack, the shorter but higher thrust SR-118, and the slightly higher performance Castor-120XL! This is something I really wanted to do for last update but didn't want to add separate parts for. Now that B9 has module switching I can add them without feeling bad!

Secondly - I added two new texture variants to the Titan IV upper stage - one based on the Commercial Titan 3 (which used a Titan IV upper stage, fun fact) and a gray one that should match with the Titan 2/3 tanks more. I want to do a proper Titan 3C version as well.

15 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

If anyone missed it, yeah the boosters attach to the skirt like on an Atlas IIAS :) I think the proper sized boosters (based on the scale written in the diagram) are Emeralds (GEM-46s) but the GEM-60s might look a bit closer to the actual drawing.

Stats-wise, they look like something between a GEM60XL and an AJ-60A.

45 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

It was a hard pick, the gem-46 had the right length, but the gem-60s had the girth. 

Hmmm. Could you maybe make gem-46XW (Extra wide)? 

Or maybe custom boosters built to the specs on the sheet? I know the gem46 and gem60 aren't the boosters meant for the CELV, but they serve there purpose. 

Also, I'm planning a Mercury Mun Landing using a modified Merury on top of a regular Atlas D (minus the booster skirt) as the transfer stage on top of the Atlas II CELV. Already made it to the Mun, but had a mistake in the stage and had to restart, but then had to get off. So, I'll post pics when I can get it done. :P

Edited by GoldForest

Actually, those are pretty much GEM-46s. The sheet says "47-inch solid motors". Guess what the "-46" in the GEMs stands for (hint: they're 46 inches wide). This is a slightly different design (this was from before there were GEM-46s), but we're talking one inch of difference. The drawing just isn't very good. 

Didn't compare the stats, but 90s burn sounds about right. That said, GEM-60s are a perfectly reasonable choice for a growth version of the rocket.

Edited by Guest

4 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

atlas-celv.jpg

4 hours ago, Jso said:

*Snip*

3 hours ago, Dragon01 said:

*Snip*

Assuming the thrust is for all four, though it isn't labelled as such ( it makes no sense otherwise ) it's too heavy and too powerful to be that diameter and that height. The listed dimensions don't work, nor do they match the drawing ( which shows something closer to a 67 inch diameter ). A 67 inch motor that height actually makes far more sense as far as the stats go, so the 47 might just be a typo. A GEM-60 scaled up to 67 inches ( everything multiplied by 1.11167 cubed ) has a gross mass of 46,868kg, a burnout mass of 5,182kg and a thrust of 1,235.411kn. and would be 18.32m tall. I think it's supposed to be a 67 inch motor, not 47. Everything else makes sense with that one change.

Edit: Just going to the page that image came from confirms my suspicions.

11. Atlas CELV

For the USAF Complementary Expendable Launch Vehicle (CELV) competition in 1984, General Dynamics proposed a formidable Atlas "II" Centaur G-Prime launch vehicle that would have lifted nearly 5 tonnes (metric tons) directly to GEO, more than 9 tonnes to GTO, or about 18 tonnes to LEO.

A new 200 inch diameter Atlas "II" stage (not to be confused with the Atlas II ultimately developed) would have been powered by five Rocketdyne H-1D engines that together would have produced more than 1 million pounds of liftoff thrust. This would have been a stage-and-a-half design, with the center engine remaining as a sustainer.  A Centaur G Prime from the Shuttle Centaur program would have served as the second stage. Four big 67 inch diameter solid rocket boosters would have augmented thrust at liftoff. These SRBs would have carried nearly as much propellant as the AJ-60A Atlas 5 SRBs.

Atlas "II" Centaur G Prime would have flown from a rebuilt Launch Complex 41, which at the time had been mothballed since the Titan 3E era. The design hints at future EELV design choices, because it has those Atlas 5 class SRBs, a Delta 4 tank diameter, and a Centaur similar in capability to today's Atlas 5 Centaur. With its "single-core" ability to handle the "heavy" missions of its era, it even aligns with today's Vulcan. 

Centaur G Prime had a fatter LH2 tank that the Atlas 5 Centaur (170 inches versus 120 inches), but the stage only held 20.7 metric tons (tonnes) of propellant versus 20.8 tonnes for the Atlas 5 Centaur stage. Centaur G Prime also had a larger dry mass due to the second RL10 and the less than optimum tank setup (and so had higher gross mass at 23.7 tonnes than the 22.8 tonne Atlas 5 Centaur). Shuttle payload bay limitations drove the decision to create the "fat" Centaur G' and its equally fat but shorter cousin Centaur G (for longer USAF payloads).

http://www.spacelaunchreport.com/atlasnot.html

Edited by Mudwig

Building Atlas Heavies is fun... but kind of complex. And I'm not talking about the official Atlas Heavy, no, I mean an Atlas D heavy, Atlas II heavy, and Atlas III heavy. 

The trouble was finding the right time to stage the skirts. (Hint, it's not all 3 at once). 

Now I'm moving on to Titan Heavies. 

Also, I know there's already a Titan Heavy in the form of LDC, my but I'm using the more cores heavies not wider core heavies. And I'm just using 3 cores, not crazy 7 core heavies... 7 cores with all the outer cores having 1-2 UAs at once... damn... eater your heart out heavy lift rockets. 

3 hours ago, GoldForest said:

The trouble was finding the right time to stage the skirts. (Hint, it's not all 3 at once). 

eeyup! stage and half designs are a lot trickier than stack designs.

will the Atlas heavy parts be on future releases? I haven't KSP in quite a while, if thy will be I can make the delta-v map for the Atlas heavy soon™

Edited by Marcelo Silveira

16 minutes ago, Marcelo Silveira said:

eeyup! stage and half designs are a lot trickier than stack designs.

will the Atlas heavy parts be on future releases? I haven't KSP in quite a while, if thy will be I can make the delta-v map for the Atlas heavy soon™

There is no official Atlas Heavy. Besides, it's just three atlas V's strapped together.

15 minutes ago, Marcelo Silveira said:

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH... I was thinking fat Atlas :P not the Atlas V heavy

Fatlas is in the dev branch already!

@Marcelo Silveira by the way if you've been away from KSP for a while I suppose you missed out on a few things. All the BDB upgrades are now done via switchable B9 subtypes so even after an upgrade is applied you can select the old variant (like LR89-5/LR89-7/RS56). If/when you get to doing the Atlas II-AS payload performance charts note that in the dev branch the Castor IV (Discouri 4 radial) has updated base stats and a switchable upgrade to Castor IV-A stats which is the model used on Atlas II. 

Thanks for doing those graphs by the way, always found them very useful :)

Edited by Zorg

1 hour ago, Deltac said:

Those are some interesting looking engines you have there.  Would be a shame if someone didn't know what they were :)

Much more accurate Able and Ablestar AJ-10s. Not for this release, sadly... But I'd hope they get on the Github pretty quickly once that is pushed out.

2 hours ago, Cdodders said:

The MOL Triple Stacker, coming to a Launch Complex near you!!

~Epic snip of Epicness~

Not the multi-module space station that we deserve, but the one I need right freaking now! :D

Edit: Also reminds me of this Space Station Freedom concept art ;)

ss86iir4.jpg

Edited by Foxxonius Augustus