[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

4 hours ago, biohazard15 said:

Any plans on US spy sats? Those gorgeous Titans just don't feel right without a proper Hexagon.

Not really - there isn't a ton of purpose to them and something like a Hexagon would be pretty RAM intensive just from all the surface area.

I forgot to take screenshots last night, but the 5 and 3 way MOL adapters got updated to match the new parts.

1 hour ago, ethan2226 said:

Will the Bluedog Design Bureau work with 1.7.x, I have 1.7.3.

Short Answer:   YES-ish

Long Answer:  You need the 1.7.x Dependencies (DMagic Science Animate, B9PartSwitch and Community Resource Kit/Pack whatever it is called)   and lastly.....

IGNORE the B9PartSwitch Error message!

• Don't Panic!
  • Bring your Towel...  
  • Do not report any Error message received
  • Do not worry about any B9Partswitch error in relation to BDB.
  • do not pass go
  • do not collect $200

Ok so I played Monopoly with some friends last night while watching Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (the books are better but the movie is very good!)

1 hour ago, Pappystein said:

Ok so I played Monopoly with some friends last night while watching Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (the books are better but the movie is very good!)

I like the movie, not necessarily because I like any of the adaptational stuff, but because a lot of the original jokes in the movie are a fun addition Hitchhiker's Guide's sense of humor

28 minutes ago, Cdodders said:

Quick q, How would I go about making a Delta IV Heavy, Atlas V Heavy and/or SLS?

Restock, BDB, and reDIRECT, respectively :P

Mostly textured LR-79 engine sans exhaust (whose fate is still undetermined - will have to explain more tomorrow)

N4CcCNW.png

27 minutes ago, Cdodders said:

Quick q, How would I go about making a Delta IV Heavy, Atlas V Heavy and/or SLS?

For a Delta IV, the wiki has a page on it. https://github.com/friznit/Unofficial-BDB-Wiki/wiki/Delta-IV

So does SLS. https://github.com/friznit/Unofficial-BDB-Wiki/wiki/Shuttle-Derived-Launchers#SLS

As for Atlas V Heavy, there isnt a page on it but I think you just follow the same rough process as a Delta IV Heavy.

Welp, new version of KSP is out, so you know what that means.  Absolutely nothing.

Back on topic:

jTIy8U1.png9Uhc7IX.png

Using the robotic parts, I managed to make a folding lunar rover.  I think I need to adjust the wheels a little more, but it's really fun!

Spoiler

s4p9Asc.pngmosRfVS.pngOPvdaGX.pngTjcnXEa.pngE9WrABh.png

1 hour ago, birdog357 said:

@Friznit How did you get the nice smooth fairings that you used in your BDB wiki?

Jso's PFairing patch for BDB. @Zorg should we just include it in the Compatibility folder? I don't know why it's not.

17 minutes ago, birdog357 said:

Has anyone noticed that the realnames patch in the dev version is borked?

Uh how so?

4 hours ago, Deltac said:

Welp, new version of KSP is out, so you know what that means.  Absolutely nothing.

Back on topic:

jTIy8U1.png9Uhc7IX.png

Using the robotic parts, I managed to make a folding lunar rover.  I think I need to adjust the wheels a little more, but it's really fun!

Hide contents

s4p9Asc.pngmosRfVS.pngOPvdaGX.pngTjcnXEa.pngE9WrABh.png

I've been trying to make a rover that fits on the lunar module. Nice work sir Any links to a craft file so I may take a look?

Edited by flamerboy67664

2 hours ago, birdog357 said:

It doesn't work?

I mean I've been using it for weeks and it works just fine. Simply copy BDB_RealNames to Gamedata. If its not working its likely been placed in the wrong folder.

Spoiler

The realnames patches has a NEEDS[BDB_RealNames] which means either a folder called BDB_RealNames needs to exist in Gamedata or another patch somewhere needs to decalare :FOR[BDB_RealNames]

5 hours ago, Zorg said:

I mean I've been using it for weeks and it works just fine. Simply copy BDB_RealNames to Gamedata. If its not working its likely been placed in the wrong folder.

Hide contents

The realnames patches has a NEEDS[BDB_RealNames] which means either a folder called BDB_RealNames needs to exist in Gamedata or another patch somewhere needs to decalare :FOR[BDB_RealNames]

It needs to be in it's own folder inside gamedata? I've got it in the real names folder inside a patches folder inside BDB. I've also got the saturn resacle the same way and that works.

23 minutes ago, birdog357 said:

It needs to be in it's own folder inside gamedata? I've got it in the real names folder inside a patches folder inside BDB. I've also got the saturn resacle the same way and that works.

Yes it needs to be in its own folder the way its written now. The saturn rescale doesnt have a NEEDS the way BDB_realnames does. 

Once again:

1 hour ago, birdog357 said:

54 minutes ago, Zorg said:

Yes it needs to be in its own folder the way its written now. The saturn rescale doesnt have a NEEDS the way BDB_realnames does. 

Once again:

So I've simplified the realnames patch. Its now inside "BD_Extras (No Warranty)/Gamedata/BDB_Extras" but can be placed anywhere inside your gamedata including a personal patches folder.

Spoiler

The NEEDS was  in there because the patch was originally inside the main compatibility folder of BDB. It required the user to create a patch with FOR[BDB_RealNames] or create the folder in Gamedata. It was then moved to "BD_Extras (No Warranty)/Gamedata" to make it simpler to install. Since the user needs to grab it from extras now, the NEEDS is not really required anymore.

Edited by Zorg

24 minutes ago, Zorg said:

So I've simplified the realnames patch. Its now inside "BD_Extras (No Warranty)/Gamedata/BDB_Extras" but can be placed anywhere inside your gamedata including a personal patches folder.

Hide contents

The NEEDS was  in there because the patch was originally inside the main compatibility folder of BDB. It required the user to create a patch with FOR[BDB_RealNames] or create the folder in Gamedata. It was then moved to "BD_Extras (No Warranty)/Gamedata" to make it simpler to install. Since the user needs to grab it from extras now, the NEEDS is not really required anymore.

Yeah it's one of those things where once you think about it the previous setup didn't make much sense :P

5 minutes ago, Petrovich said:

Is this a hint at a future revamp of the Jupiter & Thor parts?

Ha! More than hinting - that is indeed the plan for next update. Full revamp+expansion of Thor, Jupiter, Vanguard, Redstone, Agena... Vega... Centaur... most of the existing probe parts... yeah. :) I've already started working on it on my non-Unity PC and I'd say Thor is a good chunk of the way done, maybe halfway... Vanguard is practically done and it came out REALLY nice... I still have stuff to finish up on my main dev PC for this update but I'm not there very often unfortunately, so I decided to get a head start on the next update.

Regarding THIS update, with the Titan and Gemini stuff, I am not sure if I stated it on the forums, so here it is: I am currently planning, fairly firmly, to release BDB v1.6.0 on Friday, October 25th. Probably around like... idk, 6-7 PM Eastern? I believe the final count for new or revamped parts (not counting B9 switches) is something like 180 parts... I'm kind of dreading putting together the release album to show them all off. Afraid I'll miss a bunch :P

My rough plan is to basically take this next dev cycle to do a definitive remake of all the early game parts, since I've long felt that's the worst part of the mod, worse still, the first group of parts many players encounter! Not fun. So, I'm hoping that finishing all this will essentially carry me to the KSP2 release, meaning the next (and this is assuming the timings all work out, assuming that KSP2 is actually good and BDB has a place in it, etc - this is by no means set in stone) release with the early rocket revamp would be the "final" release for KSP1. After that, I assume it will take me MONTHS to port everything over to KSP2, especially since there's going to be PBR meaning I'll have to make new maps for all the parts for the material information that isn't needed with the current shader. Hopefully that's not too hard even if it's a bit tedious. After that, once I've come to grips with the art style, I think it will be time for the definitive revamp+expansion of the Apollo/Saturn parts :)

See the spoiler for some of the images I've shared so far for the early rocket revamp. Think of it as teasers :P I'm hoping to be able to get Vanguard and... honestly, probably most of Thor/Delta? in game very quickly after 1.6.0 is released.

Spoiler

mTH72bz.png

vesCkBJ.png

W8Ln1SS.png

450QfRE.png

MNFOv0I.png

N3d7Hfr.png

DMn4RmZ.png

EGTVA6_UwAECPu3?format=png&name=small

EG3oez7WoAM3CFf?format=png&name=900x900

9aODVFA.png

EGZvsE3WsAESqTi?format=jpg&name=large

k3ioqUU.png

gS9DRsO.png

geoydE3.png

2 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I'm hoping to be able to get Vanguard and... honestly, probably most of Thor/Delta? in game very quickly after 1.6.0 is released.

Sound like a good plan. BTW, you were supposed to write something about LR-79. :) I believe you know how I wanted it to work like, and B9PS has progressed to the point that switching between Thor and Jupiter configurations, at least, should be fully feasible.

6 minutes ago, Dragon01 said:

Sound like a good plan. BTW, you were supposed to write something about LR-79. :) I believe you know how I wanted it to work like, and B9PS has progressed to the point that switching between Thor and Jupiter configurations, at least, should be fully feasible.

Ah, yes... well... if I understood right, the S-3D basically looks identical save for a lack of start tanks. Fortunately, simply hiding them seems to look alright without the AO feeling out of place. I think I'd like to include the RS-27 and RS-27A in this part as well if it's possible, but I'm pretty much out of UV space. Maybe have separate mesh switches for the exhaust pipe (for the different boattails, and then maybe a shorter one for mounting in other locations).

gLzvAIc.png

I really want to make the boat tails separate from the engines, so that they are engine agnostic. There's also going to be standalone LR-101s. If people are really worried about part count, I'm willing to make a single-part version that also includes the flexible heat skirt covering the hole for the engine.

Also, yes, Dragon, note the shape of the boattail. Better? :) I think what confused me the first time was seeing the silhouette of the raceways on either side.

TZHQIHs.png

I actually just finished baking the ambient occlusion for the vernier... probably not more than a minute ago. So there's no actual texturing on the engine part itself yet.

nlokFhg.png

4 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Also, yes, Dragon, note the shape of the boattail. Better? :) I think what confused me the first time was seeing the silhouette of the raceways on either side.

Much better. :) This update is really looking great. I wish everyone had your attention to details. :) Eh, I don't mind you taking a while to transition to KSP2, if you do it quickly I might have to pay full price for it just to have the latest BDB. :) 

Can you put a gimbal module on B9PS? I think that the best way to do it would be indeed a pair of switchers. One for turbopump/performance (I suspect the latter would only come into play in RSS) and one for start tanks. RS-27A, I'd suggest putting on a separate part, since it's kind of a "vacuum" RS-27. If you can fit RS-27 on the model, great, but don't be afraid to make it a separate part, too. A switchable nozzle is a possibility, but IMO, cramming too many engines into a single part might be a bit confusing for players. 

As for verniers, aside from faired and exposed versions, could you try to fit this variant on the texture sheet?
dsc44030.jpg

Basically, a small, wedge-shaped cover, as seen on Thor missile.