[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

20 minutes ago, Jebihean Kerman said:

hey guys is there any mod that have these float this for my apollo ship here a screen shot

DPiJVpo.jpg

the orange float this if you didnt understand what i was talking about

If youre referring the flotation collar on the capsule itself, Comfortable Landing can provide that. 

But the little dinghy the support guys are on doesnt exist for KSP AFAIK. 

Some Ranger Lander tests. Theres no canonical build for this but a direct descent without first entering into orbit would be in keeping with the spirit of Ranger.

Some options could be

1. 4x Descent Propulsion Units + BE3 solid (Staara10). The solid should improve the safety margin

2. 2x Descent propulsion Units + Star 37. As seen in these images. The Star should take care of half the Dv for landing. But don't fire too early or the propulsion units might not be enough.

0hrNmkLh.jpg

132MY6vh.jpg

Some bonus images

G0Eiyboh.jpg

3f6AJhth.jpg

zwfDe7yh.jpg

PLbRQgrh.jpg

2 hours ago, biohazard15 said:

Niiice.

Will it work only on Corona, or with any science data? I have an idea about putting it on Gemini lander base and using it as data return capsule.

My idea is to give it the functionality from the Experiment Storage Unit.

oY4pGj6.png

Just now, dave1904 said:

Out of curiosity, will Bluedog Design Bureau be ported to KSP2 if the game is not trash? I know its a long way away but this is one of the mods along with near future that would stop me playing a new game if they ceased to be supported :) 

Yeah, my basic plan is (as you said, assuming KSP2 is actually good) to start porting things over to it once it's out. It will probably take a number of months, since likely only the models will be able to transfer over and a lot of new maps will have to be made (hopefully the diffuse textures are fine)

2 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Yeah, my basic plan is (as you said, assuming KSP2 is actually good) to start porting things over to it once it's out.

My sincere hope is that they get you and some other mod developers involved waaaay before release. Not so that you can get a "head start" but so you can provide them some feedback on their modding support. Even without playing favorites, it's not hard to come up with 10 or 15 mod authors that represent the vast majority of mods mentioned regularly on the forums and reddit. I hope they see the benefit of contacting you early enough.

7 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

@CobaltWolf When do you plan on adding the ATV to 1.7? Just curious. Loving the new parts and would love to see the new Agena docking with Gemini. I know there's the Gemini lander docking port, but it doesn't look right.

I think I commented on it recently when someone else asked, but uh... eventually. Idk, I just am not as excited to work on GATV compared to a lot of the other stuff. There's going to be a couple more parts than the first go around, ATDA parts for instance.

3 minutes ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

My sincere hope is that they get you and some other mod developers involved waaaay before release. Not so that you can get a "head start" but so you can provide them some feedback on their modding support. Even without playing favorites, it's not hard to come up with 10 or 15 mod authors that represent the vast majority of mods mentioned regularly on the forums and reddit. I hope they see the benefit of contacting you early enough.

I've heard that they'd like to get modders involved, but I am probably not one of the first people they'd contact if they did. :)

3 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

My idea is to give it the functionality from the Experiment Storage Unit.

oY4pGj6.png

Nice!

A couple of suggestions for Corona:

- Small science returns (say, 10-15% per photo), results are biome-specific. Obviously non-transmittable (unless you want to make SAMOS...) The satellite should be cheap and be available early to balance this. The basic idea is to launch many of them if you want good results.

- Custom separator to fit two RVs (for KH-4A\B).

- SCANSat support via purchasable upgrades.

1 minute ago, biohazard15 said:

Nice!

A couple of suggestions for Corona:

- Small science returns (say, 10-15% per photo), results are biome-specific. Obviously non-transmittable (unless you want to make SAMOS...) The satellite should be cheap and be available early to balance this. The basic idea is to launch many of them if you want good results.

- Custom separator to fit two RVs (for KH-4A\B).

- SCANSat support via purchasable upgrades.

Well, first off, I am making multiple variants of the Keyhole satellites. Currently aiming for KH-1, KH-4A, KH-4B and KH-8. 4A is just cus I think the weird diameters on the earlier KH-4s look cool. So KH-1 will be available early on but not give full returns, etc.

I believe there's already a basic "spy photo" experiment added for the KH-10 last update but it likely has to be greatly expanded. I was thinking of trying to differentiate between the low-res mapping cameras (KH-1, KH-4A and 4B, and KH-9 if it were to get made but likely not) and the high-res systems (KH-8 and KH-10). I don't believe there's a way to code an experiment to only work on certain bodies, sadly. I'd like to let them be useable around the Moon for the AAP LMS&S mission but not much further.

I don't want to screw around with the multiple RV fairings if I can avoid it but I'll see. They're not a priority (and frankly sound miserable to make work in game)

SCANsat support will be available same as the current support on the Lunar Orbiter camera.

2 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

KH-9 if it were to get made

Please? Pretty please? Pretty please with cherry on top? ;.;

3 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

I don't want to screw around with the multiple RV fairings if I can avoid it but I'll see. They're not a priority (and frankly sound miserable to make work in game)

Not sure how you'll avoid that if you want to make both KH-4A and KH-4B...

Just now, biohazard15 said:

re: KH-9, I'm just not sure. I'm kind of dubious about how useful any of this stuff can be made to be in game, and in that case, there's definitely other stuff I'd rather do. Making a KH-9 part set would effectively bump some of the other payloads I've planned for this update, ones which I'm much more interested in.

And I was planning on basically just ignoring the double buckets if need be :P

7 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I believe there's already a basic "spy photo" experiment added for the KH-10 last update but it likely has to be greatly expanded. I was thinking of trying to differentiate between the low-res mapping cameras (KH-1, KH-4A and 4B, and KH-9 if it were to get made but likely not) and the high-res systems (KH-8 and KH-10). I don't believe there's a way to code an experiment to only work on certain bodies, sadly. I'd like to let them be useable around the Moon for the AAP LMS&S mission but not much further.

I think you would end up with 2 or 3 experiments...      A "Low Resolution film return experiment" for each Biome on Kerbin and Each Biome on the Mun and Minimus but no data for other planets.   A "High Resolution film return experiment"  Has the same experiment as the Low Resolution but gives you more science (but less than the original experiment)   And lastly a "Digital Medium Resolution Broadcast Return Experiment"   This could have Biomes called out for each and every planet (cause it is radio and not film return.)   I don't know if there is a way to integrate a Been-There-Done-That type experiment into an, in orbit device but it would be a neat way to find the hidden Artifacts.  

1 hour ago, Pappystein said:

each Biome on Kerbin and Each Biome on the Mun and Minimus but no data for other planets.

As Cobalt mentioned, its currently not possible to restrict to specific bodies. You can mask for situations (flying low, in space low etc) and for biomes on a per situation basis but not by bodies.

16 hours ago, biohazard15 said:

Derp, I mean KH-4 and KH-4B. At least then I only have to try and solve for one set of dual-bucket adapters (the other for the Gambit-3, which I'm comfortable sharing a nose with the KH-4. They're similar enough)

9 hours ago, Pappystein said:

I think you would end up with 2 or 3 experiments...      A "Low Resolution film return experiment" for each Biome on Kerbin and Each Biome on the Mun and Minimus but no data for other planets.   A "High Resolution film return experiment"  Has the same experiment as the Low Resolution but gives you more science (but less than the original experiment)   And lastly a "Digital Medium Resolution Broadcast Return Experiment"   This could have Biomes called out for each and every planet (cause it is radio and not film return.)   I don't know if there is a way to integrate a Been-There-Done-That type experiment into an, in orbit device but it would be a neat way to find the hidden Artifacts. 

8 hours ago, Zorg said:

As Cobalt mentioned, its currently not possible to restrict to specific bodies. You can mask for situations (flying low, in space low etc) and for biomes on a per situation basis but not by bodies.

You can't even mask for biomes... just a bit mask for situation (Flying low/high, landed, splashed down, orbit low/high) and I think there's a boolean to check for atmosphere.

Here's where I left off last night. I might split the RV off to its own texture sheet - it came in a lot of different colors IRL.

QXZUctK.png