[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

27 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

That, in turn, is why JNSQ was natively made to be a 2.7x scale system

I would add that there are a lot of "under the hood" Changes to JNSQ that actually make it HARDER than just a rescale to 2.7x   I have had several failed missiosn that in a 2.7x system alone would have gone off without a hitch.   This is mostly due to repositioning Mun and Minimus beyond just rescaleing them to 2.7x (including their orbits)   Just last night I attempted to launch a VEGA based Comm-sat in my DSCN-Mk1 system  Goal was 3 Satellites on the same orbit as Duna.   Launcher was a LDC Titan derived launcher.   4x UA-1207, 4x E-1s for first stage power and 2x LR87-LH2(VO) for the 2nd stage.   LAunch went fine but due to the spool down (and a mistake I made in not observing the map after LR87 cutoff) I ended up with a backwards slingshot of the Mun.   Missed the mun by less than 2km or less (Only way I slowed down THAT MUCH)   Vega Upper stage had JUST enough Delta V to get Comm-sat in  a circular orbit between Mun and Minimus.   DSCN Mk1 Launch 1 is a failure!

VZEvQMC.jpg

Spoiler

Stages are 4x UA-1207,  4x E-1s (LFO) 2x LR87 (LH2 Vacuum optimized) and a Vega GE-405H

Here was my Mun Lander.   Please note that the changes to the landing legs by Restock (Plus the 2.7x system) cause this mission to be a failure as well.   Agena lander (which landed safely on the Stock mun repeatedly)  Tumbles over even on flat ground.

YIhluwD.jpg

Spoiler

And yes, this is a Soltan powered Bluestreak core with a Centaur D1B and an Agena based lander.

5mjYb3z.jpg

cDrFv2q.jpg

S8WuXKl.jpg

wDVe30Y.jpg

cEVgboT.jpg

And yes I did install Hyper edit, right the Lander and launch it from the Mun while it was at an altitude of ~10m AGL.      Only cheat was used to lift the lander off the Mun and orient it to vertical.      In the future I won't be using those landing legs with an Agena B/D body on the Mun ever again.

2 minutes ago, MajorLeaugeRocketScience said:

Doesn't it reposition everything and change the kerbol system? I'd rather have just a straight 2.5x rescale of the stock system but if that's all that works I'll take it

You can also use sigma dimensions and ReScale!

https://github.com/Sigma88/Sigma-Dimensions

Far as I know the rescale configs still work so long as you have Kopernicus and Sigma Dimensions. But JNSQ is natively made at 2.7x scale and is pretty great. A lot of the development testing nowadays is happening on JNSQ.

7 hours ago, Zorg said:

Far as I know the rescale configs still work so long as you have Kopernicus and Sigma Dimensions. But JNSQ is natively made at 2.7x scale and is pretty great. A lot of the development testing nowadays is happening on JNSQ.

They did last I played with it (1.7?)   I switched to JNSQ in 1.7+ because I wanted something new. but not as drastic as the Galileo planet pack.   I think that Galileo is not updating the Rescale! thread as it is just configs for SD + Kopernicus to make the scale work "easier"  

7 hours ago, MajorLeaugeRocketScience said:

So if this mods is sized for 2.5x solar system, where can I download that for 1.8?

JNSQ is the best bet or through sigma dimensions as others have said.  That said, JNSQ requires Kopernicus and I don't think that's been updated past 1.7.3 yet.  If Sigma Dimensions requires Kopernicus as well, then it's a bit of a wait until those mods get updated.

You know, that film return can would make a pretty cool probe...

EKliWoZ.pngzAkjfZ3.pngZ5izndz.png60RDUID.png3eXfDgl.pngI1YF9m6.png

Spoiler

So I thought it'd be cool to place one of these on Laythe as a sort of Huygens mission.  Well my dumb *** self didn't think to check Laythe's orbital direction before orbiting Jool.  So in order to get to Laythe, I had to cheat with infinite propellant :(   But I also think I did not have enough DeltaV to begin with so meh.  Might try Duna next.

My 2cents about some of the new sats...

Pioneer P1: As I said earlier, I use it (or to be precise, its engine) rather extensively. The old one, I mean. I kind of torn about the new one, though. On the one side, I like the new mounting principle (it would allow some neat configs). On the other side, basic contract sats (core + engine + antenna + couple of solar panels) may look somewhat strange, since engine is too tall to be fully covered by stock probe core. I can't really decide, at least not until some career experience. As for the retro motor... maybe a version without it, or at least make it a separate part?

Ranger Block 1: really needs an attach node for that omni antenna, IMO.

OGO: quite hard to assemble without proper manual. What about marking each attach point with a letter or number, and then adding a corresponding letter or number to part name (and mention it in description)? This way it would be like scale model  - part A goes to point A, part B goes to point B etc. Fun and easy.

Anyway, great job on those sats! Can't wait for Hexagon :D

I really need to stop following the links I see in people signatures, I keep stumbling across great work like this and have to desperately fight the urge not to immediately install it. :wink:

I just came back to the game, so I'm still relearning everything, but I'm definitely making a note to check this out soon. It looks really great.

10 minutes ago, biohazard15 said:

On the one side, I like the new mounting principle (it would allow some neat configs). On the other side, basic contract sats (core + engine + antenna + couple of solar panels) may look somewhat strange, since engine is too tall to be fully covered by stock probe core.

I added an optional attach node in a recent commit to the P3 engine. It needs to be enabled in the part action window and it adds a node to the top plate of the engine. I added a note to the description as well so people wont miss it (well those who read the part descriptions that is :P ). The Ranger mid course motor got nerfed hard in terms of MP storage so this will be the first proper on orbit propulsion system for probes until you unlock the lunar orbiter in the next tier.

Screenshot_2020-02-13_15.48.59.png

12 minutes ago, biohazard15 said:

OGO: quite hard to assemble without proper manual. What about marking each attach point with a letter or number, and then adding a corresponding letter or number to part name (and mention it in description)? This way it would be like scale model  - part A goes to point A, part B goes to point B etc. Fun and easy.

OGO is a bit tricky but a full build guide will be available on Friznits wiki. A craft file will be available too.

4 minutes ago, Zorg said:

I added an optional attach node in a recent commit to the P3 engine. It needs to be enabled in the part action window and it adds a node to the top plate of the engine. I added a note to the description as well so people wont miss it (well those who read the part descriptions that is :P ). The Ranger mid course motor got nerfed hard in terms of MP storage so this will be the first proper on orbit propulsion system for probes until you unlock the lunar orbiter in the next tier.

I've tried that node - IMO, sats look kinda ugly. Like the engine suddenly fell out and hangs on a thread. I guess I can always save the old part...

13 minutes ago, Zorg said:

A craft file will be available too.

Nice! Wiki is good, but sometimes it can get confusing with too many parts involved (just too much info in one picture - that's why scale models and LEGO sets use step-by-step manuals)

2 hours ago, biohazard15 said:

My 2cents about some of the new sats...

Pioneer P1: As I said earlier, I use it (or to be precise, its engine) rather extensively. The old one, I mean. I kind of torn about the new one, though. On the one side, I like the new mounting principle (it would allow some neat configs). On the other side, basic contract sats (core + engine + antenna + couple of solar panels) may look somewhat strange, since engine is too tall to be fully covered by stock probe core. I can't really decide, at least not until some career experience. As for the retro motor... maybe a version without it, or at least make it a separate part?

Ranger Block 1: really needs an attach node for that omni antenna, IMO.

Anyway, great job on those sats! Can't wait for Hexagon :D

Stack two probe cores? :P

Do you mean the dish? Because the omni antenna does attach through a node.

If I had to figure out OGO, you have to figure out OGO :Pyeah I see what you mean

HxWzEYG.png
hkx1VgJ.png
fR9WqQ4.png

KNkCgTW.png
FdrwK4o.png
52xSu7g.png
8mRc8yY.png
WiQsRHL.png

vGGsVcj.png
Spztmoj.png
AG4mfMt.png
rdUaS89.png
zCXdFlC.png

Edited by CobaltWolf

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

Stack two probe cores?

Well, "Taber" definitely stays in my game :P It's four "PioneerP3Engine" files, right? CFG, model (.mu), texture (.dds) and normal map (NRM.dds)?

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

Do you mean the dish? Because the omni antenna does attach through a node.

I mean "Burke-261-P" omni antenna and "Rorat" probe bus (both parts are featured in Friznit's manual on Ranger Block 2, sorry for the confusion!).

mIvZwWA.png

Edited by biohazard15

Hey @CobaltWolf, I'm sure you've been asked this plenty but I was just thinking of it as I was making some weird Saturn derivatives. Do you ever intend to add more MLV hardware, like the M-1, or NERVA, or the MEM? Maybe even stuff like the Stage and a half Saturn V or para-wing S-IC?

I'd love to go full von Braun with nuclear Saturn Vs on a direct ascent mission to Mars.