[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

8 minutes ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

So, I took the JNSQ plunge. It's my first re-scale mod. Knowing that the BDB stuff fits into this scale well, I figured the best way to get a feel for it would be to go the NASA route, so I built and flew: MR-3, MA-6, Gemini 8 w/ATV, generic Surveyor (Atlas/Centaur), then Apollo 11. Flying these vehicles at this scale is kind of great.

Sad trombone on Surveyor mission attempts. The CA Landvermesser has about 800m/s in the solid rocket booster, and something like 700m/s with the verniers. These are stock scale numbers, yes? I don't know what better numbers for JNSQ would be, or how to figure that out. My understanding is that the Centaur puts the probe on a collision course with the moon, and the rest is done by the probe ... so that's a good deal more than 1500 at JNSQ scale, no?

Anyone else messed with this? 

The landvermesser/Surveyor is from Coatl Aerospace so we can't really speak to its balance :P I havent done a full fledged surveyor mission with Coatl + BDB atlas centaur in a little while but I think 1500 m/s should be enough to land it if you time your suicide burns well and avoid too much gravity losses. 

There is a delta V diagram if you look inside the JNSQ folder. The chart says 1255 m/s to land from an intercept trajectory (375+880).

JNSQ_DV-01.png

4 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

So, I took the JNSQ plunge. It's my first re-scale mod. Knowing that the BDB stuff fits into this scale well, I figured the best way to get a feel for it would be to go the NASA route, so I built and flew: MR-3, MA-6, Gemini 8 w/ATV, generic Surveyor (Atlas/Centaur), then Apollo 11. Flying these vehicles at this scale is kind of great.

Sad trombone on Surveyor mission attempts. The CA Landvermesser has about 800m/s in the solid rocket booster, and something like 700m/s with the verniers. These are stock scale numbers, yes? I don't know what better numbers for JNSQ would be, or how to figure that out. My understanding is that the Centaur puts the probe on a collision course with the moon, and the rest is done by the probe ... so that's a good deal more than 1500 at JNSQ scale, no?

Anyone else messed with this? 

Welcome to the JNSQ side!

I know Zorg has covered most of this in the post above but I wanted to let you all know that the new Dark Mode DV map is (to my eyes) a little easier to read (JadeofMaar posted it a couple days ago to the JNSQ git and it is in that forum thread)

RE the CA Landers.   I have started, when possible switching to the BDB equivalent engines (so Voyager got Burner2 + STAR37 instead of the Voyager Solid engine (cause it is basically the same thing.)   A Lot of the CA parts were built a while on back and they are very good parts visually, but the BDB team has advanced control-ability a few factors further.   Since Mechjeb does not seem to like Suicide burns and since ***I*** am not a computer that can calculate EXACTLY when to burn....   Well I cheat.... I put an Agena-A under that thing and launch THAT on top of Atlas Centaur.  I use the Agena to due any final intercept/landing burn...  Then I fire the solid up with SAFE-SOLID ready to shut it off just above the surface (and the Verniers finish my landing... and have enough d/v in-case I need a reposition by a few meters.)

End result, I have a CA Landvermesser on the ground of the MUN.   and I didn't have to use Hyperedit or any other REAL cheat to get it there.       YES the Agena parts are my CHEATER stage :P

Which leads me to the jingle of the day...

Hypergolic's the Other Other White Meat.   Hypergolics, it's whats for dinner!  

7 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

The CA Landvermesser has about 800m/s in the solid rocket booster, and something like 700m/s with the verniers. These are stock scale numbers, yes? I don't know what better numbers for JNSQ would be, or how to figure that out. My understanding is that the Centaur puts the probe on a collision course with the moon, and the rest is done by the probe ... so that's a good deal more than 1500 at JNSQ scale, no?

Coatl is indeed balanced for stock scale. You can use Agena (or any other upper stage) for orbital insertion and initial descend.

5 hours ago, Pappystein said:

Well I cheat.... I put an Agena-A under...

2 hours ago, biohazard15 said:

You can use Agena...

Roger ... slight mission adjustments for KSPness. This works.

The Surveyor flight plan jumped out at me because of the direct lunar ascent, and landing without a capture orbit. I'd never tried either of these, so I wanted to see how gloriously I could fail. I actually had first-timer's luck on the ascent part, and even had a reasonable landing trajectory - just nowhere near enough fuel in the probe to slow down. I figured this was just a scaling difference from different mod makers, and was happy to have even gotten that far!

In any event, this combo of MLP, BDB, CA, and JNSQ is kind of amazing and filling isolation hours quite nicely. Next comes trying to figure out where/how to fly Cassini-Huygens (yay new fairings!).

Thanks for the input, and thanks to everyone involved in the above projects.

Those new fairings are too good, but what really got me- 
now there's so much cool stuff to stuff into those fairings, and I mean really cram.  This is quickly becoming the preeminent probe part pack
NnI8hTY.pngcKwgEYR.png

2 minutes ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

@Zorg Do you eventually plan on adding SAF variants for all the fairings?

I started this as a learning exercise and originally intended to just make the Titan III-E fairing, things have escalated since :P Yes I now plan to cover each base in BDB with at least one SAF. Blowfish is working on B9 switiching of SAF as well so a few will get multiple fairings on one base

3 minutes ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

Also would it be possible to add 1.875m SAF fairings to the MOS parts with built-in fairings?

Sure I can look into this, it only requires some config work to use existing fairing models.

Well even tho I am still a baby with KSP and I am sure most of you already did this, I finally got BDB's awesome Saturn V working really nice on my JNSQ install and made it to the Mun. Even landed the LM on it too. (well in my day it was the L.E.M as Jethro Tull so sings about it on the Benefit album, lol)

JNSQmoon3.jpg

JNSQmoon7.jpg

JNSQmoon9.jpg

18 minutes ago, Retro Starship said:

Well even tho I am still a baby with KSP and I am sure most of you already did this, I finally got BDB's awesome Saturn V working really nice on my JNSQ install and made it to the Mun. Even landed the LM on it too. (well in my day it was the L.E.M as Jethro Tull so sings about it on the Benefit album, lol)

Don't sell yourself short.  You have managed to land on the Mun.   I think you will find Minimus an inverse challenge... The real fun is when you try to go beyond Kerbin SOI!    I have yet to return a Kerbal from any of the other JNSQ planets.... And I am somewhere between 6 and 10k hours into this game!    I keep getting distracted by the new things in the DEV build and need to try them....    And well I keep forgetting to double the Delta V needed to do what I want....     And the last excuse... I keep forgetting about BOILOFF!

:P:):sticktongue::D

28 minutes ago, MashAndBangers said:

Porthole mercury is best for the mercury lab!

qLDEAS3.png4jDPnZ1.png

Do you use a hidden docking port or is it just for show for now? And is the pod held onto the stack with a decoupler or just the hinge?

1 hour ago, Cdodders said:

Do you use a hidden docking port or is it just for show for now? And is the pod held onto the stack with a decoupler or just the hinge?

No hidden docking port, it's all for show to make it look like the Mercury is attaching to the lab.  And it's the adapter, hinge, hinge, and then the lab.  In the VAB, I have to move everything around so it looks stacked.  Autostrut is your friend.

12 minutes ago, biohazard15 said:

One can only wonder how the poor Atlas was supposed to hold Mercury, lab module and fully fueled Agena :P

If I remember, at that point they essentially were custom... I think chemical milling? the thickness of the Atlas tanks tailoring them for each mission's structural loads. The Atlas tank structure was essentially unchanged all the way through the Atlas IIAS, after all.

Just want to thank everyone for posting pictures of your builds and missions, it always is such a joy for me to see what people do with this stuff <3

Edited by CobaltWolf

1 hour ago, MashAndBangers said:

No hidden docking port, it's all for show to make it look like the Mercury is attaching to the lab.  And it's the adapter, hinge, hinge, and then the lab.  In the VAB, I have to move everything around so it looks stacked.  Autostrut is your friend.

Fair enough

Going to try to recreate it