[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

1 hour ago, AyeLmao said:

its your 21st Birthday!? QUICK. SOMEONE BREAK OUT THE GOOD SCOTCH!

4 minutes ago, Rory Yammomoto said:

yeah, why not.... could make for some interesting designs!

y'all obviously don't come on my stream... :wink:

15 minutes ago, AyeLmao said:

Do you guys have any Plans on making a cockpit for the LEM, or the Mercury and Apollo Pods.

Mercury is already release months ago, Apollo and the LEM are in the dev releases on Git, linked in the OP. :^)

EDIT: I may have misread. You mean IVAs?

Edited by VenomousRequiem

Just now, VenomousRequiem said:

Mercury is already release months ago, Apollo and the LEM are in the dev releases on Git, linked in the OP. :^)

EDIT: I may have misread. You mean IVAs?

Yes. Should have written Internals instead of Cockpit.

EDIT: Nice Lookin LEM

Edited by AyeLmao
Aye Floppin Lmao

6 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

It is actually my 21st birthday today, yes! You can see I'm spending it well :sticktongue:

OH GOD!
So lovely young.......... (yeah: I'm older... a lot... ç_ç sigh)

Happy Birthday :D

... aaaaaaand after celebrations for Cobalt's birthday, my "2 cents" about the W.I.P. LM's parts available.
As it is, the "Ascent Pod & Ascent engine" work decently: it has enough "push" to go in a 15x15 km orbit from munar lift off (just with fumes left inside) so I could think of it as decently balanced (also as "electricity", maybe not so much used in a "stock" enviroment, but needed for a lot of life support mods) .
BUT I had very trubles to land the whole stack form orbit...

Testing Parameters:
-Apollo like orbit scaled down to kerbalized size, 60x60km to start, with LM retroburn to Pe at 15/10km (tested various heights) and then landing- (like the from Apollo 11 to 14)

As the descend engine power feel right (I had tweeked the STX MEM descend stage for other landers at 46 of thrust, feeling it good for various landing on the Mun) I think that descend stage tank failed to have enough juice, by a large margin: I'm not the best pilot, maybe (or surelly) but I had to "abort to orbit" almost always without fuel 3-4 km above terrain. I tried also the "scraping surface technique" (a very low pass altitude and then manage to slow down first using a pure retrograde burn to reduce horiz. velocity, then/together angling down to reduce vert. velocity too) but NOT enough juice... never...

-Apollo like orbit 60x60km to start, with CSM retroburn to Pe at 15/10km and then ONLY landing with the LM- (like the "J mission" from Apollo 15 to 17, to reduce some Dv needed from the descent stage)

TIGHT (VERY TIGHT) margin to land too, most closely to failure than success! The worst case was a "crash landing" with survived pod (but no ascend engine saved), the best was a "managed landing" using RCS to avoid flips, after the juice ended at 200m from surface, destroying the descend engine (not needed anymore in any case :P ) but saving the descend tank/legs as launching platform.

"ALPHA TEST" conclusion:

To not ask to players to be "exceptional Dv managers" (better players than me could do a landing as it is, with ~700/750 Dv), also thinking to the possibility to add additional equipment (so "more weight", from some KIS container for your ALSEP mod to -eventually- a basic munar rover), I suggest to put in the "Descent tank" a bit more of fuel.
A good figure (as it is now), for me, should be around 900/1000 Dv for the descent stage, not only to have simply a "direct land" from higher orbits, but also a bit of "hovering ability" (like Apollo 11 did :P ) in case of a not perfect site found during the descent, or for some inclination adjustment needed during landing (major one should be done with the CSM, but if needed a pinpointing landing, some other correction could be needed by the LM)

For reference, the above mentioned (and tweaked for my business by me) STX MEM descent tank/engine - it's a single part- (used by me before your parts) has 297/363 fuel/oxidizer, considering I used to haul your ALSEP, a basic rover (stored as parts in KIS containers and mounted in situ) and the 2x kerbals HGR "Pumpikin" pod (basically, a stock-alike 2 kerbal pod, in 1.875m dimension), with added parts to works (ladder, legs etc... so it was a bit heavier), staying in the range of the 1000 Dv (yours, as it is, is lighter, so maybe 216/225 fuel and 264/275 oxidizer should be good).
The descent engine (50 thrust at vacuum) is surelly plenty capable to have the performance needed to manage the whole landing phase from orbit with the added weight (as said, I can land the aboved "multiparts croosbreed lander" with 46 @ thrust)

ALSO, for a parallel to the real LM, consider that (I could find the reference, if you like it, but I'm pretty sure) has roughly double battery storage in the descent stage than the Ascent one (so, if your Pod has 200 unit of electricity, the descent tank should be around 400... or then, you should swap the value in 100 to ascent + 200 to descent stage).
I suggest to not be too tight in electricity (keeping a 200+400 figure) as SAS could eat it a lot during orbital/landing/lift off phase, some could be lost for "transmitting science", but also your LM could be used for some "Apollo Application program" or from life support users without too much trouble...
... or 150/300, if you feel as "half way" from the actual state to my "generous" numbers :wink:.

If needed, I could think about more precise values and tests (my suggestion were not tested actually, as I did just around 10/12 landings with your parts as they are NOW)

Your "unofficial tester" :wink:

Edited by Araym

6 hours ago, Araym said:

"ALPHA TEST" conclusion:

I don't know why he made the config like that. How much deltav do you guys think there should be? We need to accommodate all skill levels. I was going to start with 1200 for the decent and 950 on the ascent.

I'm not really sweating the electricity on the decent module. You can always slap a fuel cell on it and make use of the unspent fuel.

14 minutes ago, Jso said:

I don't know why he made the config like that. How much deltav do you guys think there should be? We need to accommodate all skill levels. I was going to start with 1200 for the decent and 950 on the ascent.

I'm not really sweating the electricity on the decent module. You can always slap a fuel cell on it and make use of the unspent fuel.

The battery power should last roughly 24 hours, right? Isn't that how the real one functioned? No fuel cell, just batteries. 

14 minutes ago, VenomousRequiem said:

The battery power should last roughly 24 hours, right? Isn't that how the real one functioned? No fuel cell, just batteries. 

Original design allowed for 35 hours. Later extended to 72 hours for multi day stays and as backup power incase the fuel cells failed (Apollo 13 style).

source

46 minutes ago, Jso said:

it's like that because the configs were based on Lacks SXT MEM parts. I didn't have time to do math to try and figure out the fuel loads.

I plan on doing some testing of the LEM today after work. The question begged, is to use stock or K2Scale. With @CobaltWolf and @VenomousRequiem both stating on more than one occasion that BDB is stock-a-like but behaves most believably/historically in a x2ish scale, should we really be trying to balance the LEM with stock size or x2 that will set its flight profile to match the rest of the expectations?

1 minute ago, Daelkyr said:

I plan on doing some testing of the LEM today after work. The question begged, is to use stock or K2Scale. With @CobaltWolf and @VenomousRequiem both stating on more than one occasion that BDB is stock-a-like but behaves most believably/historically in a x2ish scale, should we really be trying to balance the LEM with stock size or x2 that will set its flight profile to match the rest of the expectations?

I use Harder Solar System x2 and it works great. :^)

15 hours ago, AyeLmao said:

Yes. Should have written Internals instead of Cockpit.

I'm working on the internals for the mercury cockpit, I've been running behind though given a busy schedule that I have at the moment. Hopefully I'll get it done soon though!