CobaltWolf

[1.8.1][1.7.3] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.6.2 "титан" 24/Nov/2019)

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Friznit said:

Extend forks, soft dock, retract forks to lock them in.

The forks stay extended. Just actuate the bolts on the ring port. The forks only fold to make them fit in fairings better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cameronisher3 said:

im getting this error https://ibb.co/9Vb6RCT im using the version for 1.7.3

what should i do to fix this? ive already uninstalled realplume at the recommendation of someone and that has not helped

 

heres my logs:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/39zn9pn18dhzulm/output_log.txt?dl=0

This has nothing to do with realplume. The error message clearly states this is to with tweakscale. Typically this is caused by troublesome tweakscale patches (BDB's are verified as being OK so this is from some other mod).

As the error message says, grab your ksp.log and report on the tweakscale thread where the author is helping people who get this message.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm, I just stumbled upon the fact that not even with any "probes first then manned" tech tree BDB is placing crewed pods too soon, already with the CTT this is true.

Like the Mercury parts are all engineering101.

So on the one hand it's a pity that no "probes first" tech tree mod got BDB patches yet and on the other hand BDB itself makes crewed pods appear really early.

And actually, while a new BDB release is in the making with overhauled parts and so on - I don't think I even should try to start working on a patch for UnKerballedStart or ProbesBeforeCrew.

(I just hope there already is someone doing this) :D

@SpinkAkron @_Zee

This is one of the best part packs out in the KSP universe and I just dont get it why it has been ignored by all unmanned first tech trees I know of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

/snip
and I just dont get it why it has been ignored by all unmanned first tech trees I know of.

Probably because the amount of work it's going to take will be massive, just like this mod! :sticktongue:

Kidding aside, BDB is a member of my voting poll and currently in 3rd place. Probably a few more big patches for other mods in front of it, but BDB should get its turn in PBC pretty soon (relatively speaking). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

And actually, while a new BDB release is in the making with overhauled parts and so on - I don't think I even should try to start working on a patch for UnKerballedStart or ProbesBeforeCrew.

Gordon,   So with all the changes to Titan parts my Engine patches to grant Hypergolic fuels took all of 6 minutes to update.    Change the names in the @PART[x] field,  Save, Delete +PART parts that were covered by the new update, and Test...   Most of the 6 minutes was waiting for KSP to boot!  :)

 

Now that does not include time to handle the new B9PS Multi Mode engines content.   Just the time to get all the basic parts working right. 

 

I am sure that given you are just re-structuring the Tech Tree locations, any patch you do today will be easy to update when parts are depreciated/updated.  So like my 6 minutes... not like the 6 hours over 3 days I spent getting the B9PS engines working (testing RIGHT NOW!)       But it is just my thought.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Pappystein thing is, I never fiddled a tech tree patch. And because I did not create the tech tree it's even more of a spaghetti fiddling to find a work-flow that fits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Gordon Dry said:

@Pappystein thing is, I never fiddled a tech tree patch. And because I did not create the tech tree it's even more of a spaghetti fiddling to find a work-flow that fits.

No issues,  Was just pointing out that once you do make a patch for BDB it is easy to update when Cobaltwolf goes through and makes all new parts of awesomeness.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding BDB placement, I implore you to have some attention to history when placing it instead of just gameplay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

Hmm, I just stumbled upon the fact that not even with any "probes first then manned" tech tree BDB is placing crewed pods too soon, already with the CTT this is true.

Like the Mercury parts are all engineering101.

So on the one hand it's a pity that no "probes first" tech tree mod got BDB patches yet and on the other hand BDB itself makes crewed pods appear really early.

And actually, while a new BDB release is in the making with overhauled parts and so on - I don't think I even should try to start working on a patch for UnKerballedStart or ProbesBeforeCrew.

(I just hope there already is someone doing this) :D

@SpinkAkron @_Zee

This is one of the best part packs out in the KSP universe and I just dont get it why it has been ignored by all unmanned first tech trees I know of.

Mercury goes in Engineering101 because there needs to be room for Gemini before Apollo. The vanilla BDB placement is a blend of historical (ie I dont wait to give stuff like RCS and probes where appropriate), gameplay (stuff like Delta and Titan IV getting placed before Saturn V) and just... Struggling with the fact that the tech tree is too damn small.

So Mercury being that early y'know kiiiinda works historically, plus its a pretty primitive capsule. You're still using probes for the bulk of the work.

 

13 hours ago, _Zee said:

Probably because the amount of work it's going to take will be massive, just like this mod! :sticktongue:

Kidding aside, BDB is a member of my voting poll and currently in 3rd place. Probably a few more big patches for other mods in front of it, but BDB should get its turn in PBC pretty soon (relatively speaking). 

I don't envy the task. :P I don't remember the count but we were certainly over 500 in 1.6 and there's a ton getting added in this current dev cycle. Please feel free to PM if/when you feel like tackling it, I can advise which sections of the mod to skip because theyre currently getting redone etc.

 

Update for my homies: still innawoods. Filled a tag my first day, nothing the second, sitting in the stand for the start of my third. Trying to get a second deer for the freezer/ my grandparents. So sadly no time spent at the cabin keeping the fire going and working from my laptop. I'd still expect to see Ranger/Mariner to get in game next weekend. Also I think the list of 1.6.2 issues is big enough I cant ignore it anymore...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Filled a tag my first day,

Still tagging parts, even while out in the wilderness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

/snip

I don't envy the task. :P I don't remember the count but we were certainly over 500 in 1.6 and there's a ton getting added in this current dev cycle. Please feel free to PM if/when you feel like tackling it, I can advise which sections of the mod to skip because theyre currently getting redone etc.

500!? :o

Good grief I knew I was in for a world of hurt, but my imagination didn't even come close to the reality... :confused:
When BDB gets it's turn, I may come and poke you for any assistance you can provide... :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Mercury goes in Engineering101 because there needs to be room for Gemini before Apollo. The vanilla BDB placement is a blend of historical (ie I dont wait to give stuff like RCS and probes where appropriate), gameplay (stuff like Delta and Titan IV getting placed before Saturn V) and just... Struggling with the fact that the tech tree is too damn small.

I 1000000% agree that the Tech Tree is too small (length wise) and to narrow (height wise) to support a Historical Playthrough.

I have played with the ETT and the CTT as well as a couple other Tech trees over the years.   I have even toyed with an Idea of a HTT (Historical Tech Tree)

 

I have a beautiful Idea for a tech tree but it would require a re-building of the entire tech tree code via a plugin... and I haven't a clue how to do it.

 

On 11/17/2019 at 10:54 AM, Gordon Dry said:

Hmm, I just stumbled upon the fact that not even with any "probes first then manned" tech tree BDB is placing crewed pods too soon, already with the CTT this is true.

 

But I have to ask.  WTH is with this PROBE before MAN movement?    Did we all forget that the Airplane (a core part of KSP) flew before the Probe?  Before the Radio (*became publicly available)....   Without the Airplane your probes never get off the ground.      I mean Squad though so much of it that they put it square in the middle of the Tech Tree.... ERr oh wait!   Node Start should be AIRPLANE PARTS including the command seat...   Then should be some Fuselage parts for Airplanes (and bigger wings)  Then Rocket engines for Airplanes... THEN your probes can exist!   Then Mercury/Vostok... Then the rest

 

Ok it is my opinion, and I thought I would voice it.

 

@CobaltWolf Enjoy your time. look forward to seeing what you do next

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Pappystein said:

/snip

But I have to ask.  WTH is with this PROBE before MAN movement?    Did we all forget that the Airplane (a core part of KSP) flew before the Probe?  Before the Radio (*became publicly available)....   Without the Airplane your probes never get off the ground.      I mean Squad though so much of it that they put it square in the middle of the Tech Tree.... ERr oh wait!   Node Start should be AIRPLANE PARTS including the command seat...   Then should be some Fuselage parts for Airplanes (and bigger wings)  Then Rocket engines for Airplanes... THEN your probes can exist!   Then Mercury/Vostok... Then the rest

 

It's a fair question. Here's my 2 cents on it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, _Zee said:

It's a fair question. Here's my 2 cents on it. 

Thanks for that.  And I should have included a bunch of notes on Sarcasm/Joke cause that is slightly more than a small part what it was.  I actually fully agree with everything in your bullet points except #4 but I also see where you come from ON #4.    Rather, my question is why SQUAD didn't design the game to be more historically correct and that is a simple matter of (Opinion)

  • Prior to the Tech-Tree the game was Sandbox, you could build whatever you wanted out the gate
  • it *IS* a SPACE SIMULATION  Who cares about how we get to space (<- I think THIS is the biggest cause)
  • Squad didn't think that anyone would ever put the effort into a realistic Mod with enough parts to do a Whole space program.  Stock tech Tree is built for STOCK not Modded games
  • We are on Kerbin, not Earth (But lets not get into my opinion about RO)

That being said.   For all it's myriad of Faults.  KSP *IS* the game that allows your mod to exist _Zee...  And Cobalts, and Shadowmages, and JPLRepo and Arkon's, and Sarbin's and  etc etc etc.....   I play a lot of games that claim they support modding to the highest levels... and KSP crushes them all in it's openness to Modding.   Sure some other game might have more mods but do they work well together?   Likely no.

So to end this, thanks for sharing your opinion _Zee.   While I likely won't use your mod, I will say that it actually is one of the best stated reasons for building the game differently that I have ever read.  Most of the other mods for Probes first just say "because they were!"     My Space Program in KSP is 99% Probes anyway.   Can't loose my precious Jeb and Val!

Personal Opinion,  I think BDB should be the next mod you support.  Why?  It has a large majority of the parts needed to pull of a successful Probe before Man build that are historically accurate.  
 

5 minutes ago, mindstalker said:

Has anyone had any luck making a probe that sinks in water in the current release. Until I unlock Ore tanks it seems everything floats even with shielding turned up to max.

Um, Shielding?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Pappystein said:

Did we all forget that the Airplane (a core part of KSP) flew before the Probe?

  1. This is Kerbin, not Earth. As long as not RSS/RO/RP-1 is used the history of mankind is not intended to be 100% projected into KSP.
  2. Many players know one fact for sure - planes are bugged, runways are bugged, so just ignore planes and go rockets.
    It has been like this for years and this is conditioned deeply into the neurons of the KSP veterans.
    Even if this is changed the taste of the years of weirdness is still there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pappystein said:

Um, Shielding?

Nevermind, wrong forum, very strange, I'm quite sure I didn't post in this topic.. Whatever *shrugs*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just wanted to remind everyone about @AlphaMensae's awesome Modular Launch Pads, which have been receiving a bunch of great historical towers and pad infrastructure with more to come!

TzZcN6W.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jay The Amazing Toaster said:

Departing from the Hokulani station

 

No!  I wanna Go baAAaaak!!!!!!!    :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been enjoying the mod pack(... sooo many parts).  Anyways, I was working on building out some of the historical launchers and using the included craft files as well.  However, With the titan-gemini craft file the part models are a not so attractive splotchy rust brown looking color.  Was that intentional or am I missing some graphical setting/mod to make that ship look as intended.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Galland1998 said:

I've been enjoying the mod pack(... sooo many parts).  Anyways, I was working on building out some of the historical launchers and using the included craft files as well.  However, With the titan-gemini craft file the part models are a not so attractive splotchy rust brown looking color.  Was that intentional or am I missing some graphical setting/mod to make that ship look as intended.

 

 

The craft files are old and are referencing the old deprecated Titan parts which will be deleted soon. Brand new Titan parts were added in the 1.6 update. 47 new craft files courtesy of @Friznit will be included in the 1.6.2 update coming soon but you can get them here now:

https://github.com/CobaltWolf/Bluedog-Design-Bureau/files/3795353/BDBCraftFiles.zip

(splotchy parts means they will be deleted in the next major update so you should retire any craft already using them)

Edited by Zorg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.