[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

Let's break up this unprecedentedly long period between posts in this thread with some new rocket pics!

First, simply showing off @AlphaMensae's beautiful new petal clamp for the Jupiter IRBM, of course including the missile itself in its natural habitat:

PT01Xcy.jpg

6YsVmKX.jpg

And also, I tried building one of the most iconic of SAMs we all know, which was decidedly hard in an early career!

5dl6rxA.png

DouNSU4.jpg

Still, I think I managed to get pretty close to the right looks, even if it's really using liquid fuel engines instead of solid boosters like it should. Oh and the second stage is utterly unflyable, because kerbal aero.

38 minutes ago, Morphisor said:

DouNSU4.jpg

Still, I think I managed to get pretty close to the right looks, even if it's really using liquid fuel engines instead of solid boosters like it should. Oh and the second stage is utterly unflyable, because kerbal aero.

What's the SAM?

8 hours ago, Morphisor said:

Looks more like the second stage is unflyable for a couple reasons.

One the fins don't come down far enough and don't have control surfaces on the back end like the real thing did:

Nike-hercdim.jpg

But that might not be the real issue, because the sustainer motor had a funky design quirk, it looked like this:

h-sustainer.gif

The reason for the long throat was to move the CoM of the motor up to match the CoM of the missile so the overall CoM didn't change during flight. It also made the second stage more aerodynamically stable as the CoM of the missile would now be above the CoP rather than below it that a more normal motor design would have. Even real life aerodynamics doesn't like the CoM being below the CoP on a rocket, that tends to flip them. So it's not just Kerbal aero that is at fault here.

1 hour ago, draqsko said:

Looks more like the second stage is unflyable for a couple reasons.

One the fins don't come down far enough and don't have control surfaces on the back end like the real thing did:

Nike-hercdim.jpg

But that might not be the real issue, because the sustainer motor had a funky design quirk, it looked like this:

h-sustainer.gif

The reason for the long throat was to move the CoM of the motor up to match the CoM of the missile so the overall CoM didn't change during flight. It also made the second stage more aerodynamically stable as the CoM of the missile would now be above the CoP rather than below it that a more normal motor design would have. Even real life aerodynamics doesn't like the CoM being below the CoP on a rocket, that tends to flip them. So it's not just Kerbal aero that is at fault here.

The more you know....!

I did actually use a movable winglet at the bottom end of that stage, but that wasn't nearly enough to save it from the unbalanced aero. Having a whole bunch of winglets clipping through eachother probably doesn't help there:wink:

I didn't know about the internal design at all however, great insight!

4 hours ago, Morphisor said:

The more you know....!

I did actually use a movable winglet at the bottom end of that stage, but that wasn't nearly enough to save it from the unbalanced aero. Having a whole bunch of winglets clipping through eachother probably doesn't help there:wink:

I didn't know about the internal design at all however, great insight!

Yeah, it definitely looked like more of a CoM issue than a control surface issue. Engine gimbal should be more than enough in KSP to keep a rocket straight that is even on the edge of stability. I've launched a 5m payload on a 2.5m rocket without a fairing and that thing was unstable as hell but as long as I kept the nose in the prograde marker, the engine gimbal could handle it.

I think the only way you can really simulate that in KSP without a custom made engine for it would be to mount an SRB in a boattail that extends way down, and then fiddling with the offset tool to mount the fins in the right spots since you'll probably have to attach them to the SRB or the boattail adapter as the fairing walls don't like stuff mounted on them. Either that or an ore tank for ballast to push the CoM up.

7 for the price of 2 (or 3 texture sheets).

screen_2560x1920_2020-04-30_13-02-49.png

New Titan 3B fairing and Agena adapter. The adapter has the fairing built into it and also has an optional decoupler so it can function as an interstage. However the proper build would require placing the short SLV-3B 0.9375m interstage on top for Agena builds.

They are also available on all the other 1.875m fairing bases of course.

These fairings are:

1) & 2) : 2 types of Titan 3B fairings also seen on Titan 34D for hexagon launches, 

3) The seasat fairing which was an adapted 3B fairing used on the one off Atlas 23F

4) fictional white variant.

The adapter is also available in Titan 3B, Seasat white and Chrayol red.

screenshot483.png?width=486&height=864

screenshot490.png?width=1536&height=864

screenshot492.png

Some kind of Jumpseat like thing.

screenshot493.png

screenshot497.png

screenshot502.png

screenshot504.png

screenshot512.png

Seasat craft file from Invaderchaos (yes theres a lot of tweakscale abuse :P ) who also made the Seasat Agena colour scheme for BDB in colours.

Edited by Zorg

1 hour ago, Dragon01 said:

@Zorg ever thought of making ReStock/NFLV-like fairings for SAF? KW ones are a bit blurry, and your BDB stuff is pretty great. :) 

I have a vague notion to make some non-bdb fairings, maybe some generic, some inspired by IRL non-american stuff as an independent pack. But I have no timeline on when I would even start on that. But it is something I am considering doing eventually.

10 minutes ago, derega16 said:

I downloaded the lastest dev. version. Why titan IIIE and IV SAF fairings are missing? It was there in previous version I used. Also new Atlas V400 one doesn't show either

I dont see a problem on my side, make sure the installation is correct and all dependencies are up to date, both SAF and B9 PartSwitch (included in the github bundle).

Just now, Zorg said:

I dont see a problem on my side, make sure the installation is correct and all dependencies are up to date, both SAF and B9 PartSwitch (included in the github bundle).

Is the version of B9 in BDB folder different from normal version? I just install NFLV2 too and it also came with B9

1 minute ago, derega16 said:

Is the version of B9 in BDB folder different from normal version? I just install NFLV2 too and it also came with B9

The version in the BDB folder is the most up to date public release. Looking at the NFLV thread, it seems like an older version was included in the NFLV download by accident. Please get B9PartSwitch v2.16.0 either directly from the B9 thread/github or the BDB ghithub.

5 hours ago, Zorg said:

I have a vague notion to make some non-bdb fairings, maybe some generic, some inspired by IRL non-american stuff as an independent pack. But I have no timeline on when I would even start on that. But it is something I am considering doing eventually.

Even just extracting some of the BDB SAF fairings that would fit stock parts into their own mini mod would be amazing for careers where I don't want to use all of BDB but want better fairings.

1 hour ago, CDSlice said:

Even just extracting some of the BDB SAF fairings that would fit stock parts into their own mini mod would be amazing for careers where I don't want to use all of BDB but want better fairings.

for whats? :huh:

(:D)

3 hours ago, Zorg said:

The version in the BDB folder is the most up to date public release. Looking at the NFLV thread, it seems like an older version was included in the NFLV download by accident. Please get B9PartSwitch v2.16.0 either directly from the B9 thread/github or the BDB ghithub.

I check all the dependency, Ther're stil missing. Maybe KSP version (I use 1.81) or mod conflict?

I check the BDB SAF folder I notice something, it only show fairing with .dds file but didn't show one that doesn't have

Edited by derega16

1 hour ago, drskitts said:

Are there any instructions/pictures on how the new Leo parts go together?

It's mostly like the older version or even easier, except that some parts got split into several. Notably the service module is now assembled from two main parts, with RCS integrated into them. Main challenge is to place maneuver engines and retro motors, but this is being adressed (nodes for retro motors are already here).

Edited by biohazard15

6 hours ago, derega16 said:

I check all the dependency, Ther're stil missing. Maybe KSP version (I use 1.81) or mod conflict?

I check the BDB SAF folder I notice something, it only show fairing with .dds file but didn't show one that doesn't have

Not every fairing has a dds file named after it as many share texture space on the same sheet. I suggest deleting the BDB folder and doing a clean install of it. Also you do have the Titan and Atlas folders in your parts folder right? If you are pruning them the SAFs will also disappear since they depend on the bases from those folders.

If that doesn't work please post your KSP.log its in the root folder of your KSP install.

Edited by Zorg

15 hours ago, Zorg said:

Not every fairing has a dds file named after it as many share texture space on the same sheet. I suggest deleting the BDB folder and doing a clean install of it. Also you do have the Titan and Atlas folders in your parts folder right? If you are pruning them the SAFs will also disappear since they depend on the bases from those folders.

If that doesn't work please post your KSP.log its in the root folder of your KSP install.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1L1lfbaRxJbYSNb6cLefTXDVJN-3x2Jsc/view?usp=sharing

I clean installed BDB it still happened

Abelstar, Titan IIIB, Delta II, Atlas V500, Titan III(or IV I forget)'s dual payload shows normally but rest of them doesn't

Edited by derega16

7 hours ago, drskitts said:

Are there any instructions/pictures on how the new Leo parts go together?

I'll document it for the wiki once it's a bit closer to be the stable version.  It's still WIP.

(I need to redo a lot of the new Thor/Delta stuff for similar reasons!)

12 hours ago, derega16 said:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1L1lfbaRxJbYSNb6cLefTXDVJN-3x2Jsc/view?usp=sharing

I clean installed BDB it still happened

Abelstar, Titan IIIB, Delta II, Atlas V500, Titan III(or IV I forget)'s dual payload shows normally but rest of them doesn't

Your file is private, could you please post an accessible link and I will take a look tomorrow. 

---------------

Just a couple of random screenshots

Thor burner I

screenshot552.png?width=469&height=833

screenshot558.png

Atlas Agena B (if you look closely you can see the new aspirated/film cooled RealPlume just added for the LR105/H1D and F1)

screenshot568.png

screenshot570.png

screenshot575.png?width=1480&height=833

Edited by Zorg