[HeavyWIP]RealStock Remix - A RF Engine Config

01010101lzy

I am using RF Stockalike configs in my RSS KSP save, but I found out that the Stockalike engines can't fit my real super-heavy needs.(And also Tweakscale is broken in RF)

So I am working on this, a RF partially-realistic engine config.

The config will be based on RF Stockalike, and will be added some real or realistic engine configs for big crafts.Later, not finished yet

Also the ignition number will be changed to match the old EngineIgnitor performance.

Ignition times table:

[TABLE=class: grid, width: 550]

[TR]

[TD]Times\Fuel

Engine Type\[/TD]

[TD]LqdH2

LqdO2[/TD]

[TD]Kerosene

LqdO2[/TD]

[TD]Hyper-

golic[/TD]

[TD]Mono-

propellant[/TD]

[TD]LqdCH4

LqdO2[/TD]

[TD]Nuclear

Thermal

Fuel[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Lower[/TD]

[TD]1[/TD]

[TD]1[/TD]

[TD]1[/TD]

[TD]x[/TD]

[TD]1[/TD]

[TD]x[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Lower+[/TD]

[TD]1[/TD]

[TD]1 5R

[/TD]

[TD]2 5R[/TD]

[TD]x[/TD]

[TD]2 5R[/TD]

[TD]x[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Upper[/TD]

[TD]2[/TD]

[TD]3 3R[/TD]

[TD]4[/TD]

[TD]x[/TD]

[TD]3 4R[/TD]

[TD]x[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Upper+[/TD]

[TD]4 8N[/TD]

[TD]2 4N[/TD]

[TD]4 iN[/TD]

[TD]iN[/TD]

[TD]4N 12N[/TD]

[TD]x[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Aerospike[/TD]

[TD]2[/TD]

[TD]2[/TD]

[TD]x[/TD]

[TD]x[/TD]

[TD]2[/TD]

[TD]x[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]OMS[/TD]

[TD]12N 24N[/TD]

[TD]x[/TD]

[TD]24N iN[/TD]

[TD]iN[/TD]

[TD]24N[/TD]

[TD]x[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Nuclear[/TD]

[TD]80N[/TD]

[TD]x[/TD]

[TD]x[/TD]

[TD]x[/TD]

[TD]x[/TD]

[TD]iN[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Side attached[/TD]

[TD]12N[/TD]

[TD]24N[/TD]

[TD]iN[/TD]

[TD]iN[/TD]

[TD]x[/TD]

[TD]x[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

i=infinite R=for reusable rockets N=no subject to ullage x=no such fuel

Multiple numbers on the table means the type of engine can have multiple config types

KW Rocketry

Stock

Known Issue: not found. See RFStockalike's thread for possible known issue.

Because it was unfinished, inside the folder is a total mess. Delete the RF_RSRemix folder every time you update.

RELEASE DELAYED: TOO MANY PROJECTS WIP

Edited by 01010101lzy
release delayed

However you could try Realism Overhaul:)
Yeah I know, and I have thought of this, but it's not so stockalike and inspiration-friendly. Especially on creating HUGE rockets for, say, delivering 900t cargo to LEO. They do not have large-enough cryogenic engines. And building rockets is restricked to a few unchangeable parts, which is not good for something like a Jupiter exploring mothership.

Yeah I know, and I have thought of this, but it's not so stockalike and inspiration-friendly. Especially on creating HUGE rockets for, say, delivering 900t cargo to LEO.
I've built lifters that get over half that into orbit. A cluster of RD-171Ms does wonders. That engine and the F-1 are on the upper end of the size scale here on Earth, as I understand it; clustering is your friend. You can also go toxic fuels and pick up an RD-270M, I added a config for it some time ago, pretty "OP" in the real world.

ferram4 once built a lifter for 5000 tons to LEO. Not sure if he still has it around.

They do not have large-enough cryogenic engines.
The SSME and RD-0120 are the best Earth has to offer in terms of LOX/LHYD engines and they were both used to put near 100 tons into orbit. We clustered them, three and four respectively
And building rockets is restricked to a few unchangeable parts, which is not good for something like a Jupiter exploring mothership.
That's ... hilarious. Maybe pick up Near Future Construction if you're feeling that way? RO supports it.

Anyway, good luck on your engine pack here. Feel free to drop by #RO if you need help with configs.

I've built lifters that get over half that into orbit. A cluster of RD-171Ms does wonders. That engine and the F-1 are on the upper end of the size scale here on Earth, as I understand it; clustering is your friend. You can also go toxic fuels and pick up an RD-270M, I added a config for it some time ago, pretty "OP" in the real world.

ferram4 once built a lifter for 5000 tons to LEO. Not sure if he still has it around.

The SSME and RD-0120 are the best Earth has to offer in terms of LOX/LHYD engines and they were both used to put near 100 tons into orbit. We clustered them, three and four respectively

That's ... hilarious. Maybe pick up Near Future Construction if you're feeling that way? RO supports it.

Anyway, good luck on your engine pack here. Feel free to drop by #RO if you need help with configs.

Thanks for the explanation. The only thing I mean is that RO is not so Kerbal and RFS is not so realistic...

Anyway, I will continue working on this!

Personally, I like this idea. Not so much for the extra lifting capacity, but because it seems like a good realism compromise between RFStockalike's full throttling and infinite ignitions, and the part limitations of using full RO. So yeah, thanks for doing this. :)

Edited by Maeyanie

Personally, I like this idea. Not so much for the extra lifting capacity, but because it seems like a good realism compromise between RFStockalike's full throttling and infinite ignitions, and the part limitations of using full RO. So yeah, thanks for doing this. :)

Actrually RFStockalike has finite ignitions, but that is too strict and many engines doesn't have the proper ignition numbers.

Throttling limitations will not be added in the first few releases, probably after all configs are modified once.

Actrually RFStockalike has finite ignitions, but that is too strict and many engines doesn't have the proper ignition numbers.

Well, I certainly haven't tried every engine, and haven't looked through the configs... never recall hitting a situation where I couldn't re-ignite my engine, though, even first-stage engines which shouldn't throttle or re-ignite at all.

Well, I certainly haven't tried every engine, and haven't looked through the configs... never recall hitting a situation where I couldn't re-ignite my engine, though, even first-stage engines which shouldn't throttle or re-ignite at all.

Maybe it's that you use different engines for orbital maneuvers... Actually, pressurized hypergolic-fueled engines could have infinite ignitions(according to RO Wiki).

I found that orbital maneuver engines, especially AIES ones, have unexpected low ignition numbers(1 or 2), which made me willing to change this.

RCS is nothing but a *small* pressure-fed hypergolic engine, anyway, and no one worries about the number of ignitions there. :)

What matters more is total burn time (engine life), not number of ignitions, at least for bog-standard simple PF hypergolics.

Maybe it's that you use different engines for orbital maneuvers... Actually, pressurized hypergolic-fueled engines could have infinite ignitions(according to RO Wiki).

I found that orbital maneuver engines, especially AIES ones, have unexpected low ignition numbers(1 or 2), which made me willing to change this.

Yeah, pressure-fed hypergolic orbital engines, infinite is completely fine. Same with nuclear engines. A big kerolox Mainsail? Not so much.

And yeah, I don't use AIES, so that could explain why I haven't noticed that particular oddity. :)

Edit:

Though, looking at the Mainsail's config, there is evidence the author may have tried to do a single ignition and for whatever reason (legacy code?) it just isn't working at the moment... still have to assume it's intentional, though, if it were a bug surely someone would have noticed and fixed it by now.

@PART[liquidEngine1-2]:FOR[RealFuels_StockEngines] //Mainsail
{
<snip>
MODULE
{
name = ModuleEngineConfigs
type = ModuleEnginesRF
<snip>
CONFIG
{
name = Kerosene+LqdOxygen
<snip>
ModuleEngineIgnitor
{
ignitionsAvailable = 1
useUllageSimulation = true
autoIgnitionTemperature = 800
ignitorType = Electric
IGNITOR_RESOURCE
{
name = ElectricCharge
amount = 15
}
}

Edit 2:

Well, I take it all back. Turns out RF Stockalike's ignitions are fine, the problem was a mod conflict; RealPlume Stock was overwriting the ModuleEngineRF with a ModuleEngineFX and breaking everything. Feel free to disregard everything I've said up to this point. :)

Edited by Maeyanie

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.