[1.1.3] MKS Lite - A lighter, friendlier colonization mod from USI [0.4.4]

RoverDude

uuadifG.png

MKS is a complex mod - it has a lot of resources, and a lot of moving parts. And while it’s pretty awesome once it’s up and running, it can also be intimidating to a newer player. So I’ve been carefully considering the best way to overcome this hurdle without sacrificing the spirit of the mod, and after a lot of discussion and feedback, have decided to build out a lighter, friendlier version of MKS.

Thus, I am happy to introduce MKS-Lite! It will give you a taste of a lot of the MKS subsystems, but uses a much simpler resource set and more forgiving mechanics. The best part is that when you’re ready to move onto the main MKS system and it’s more involved processes, almost all of the knowledge you learn in MKS-L will transfer directly over.

You can get a feel for the specifics over on the Wiki.

You can grab a release over on GitHub here:  https://github.com/BobPalmer/MKS-LITE/releases

Configuration files and code are licensed under the GPL v3 license.

Assets, including Models (*.mu) and Textures *.png/*.dds) are All Rights Reserved. If you wish to use any of these assets in your project, just ask nicely :)

note that this is currently in BETA, so while it is pretty stable, I still anticipate some bugs :) I am also especially looking for feedback on the documentation, since this is intended to be a much simpler version, and I need to make sure the docs work for newer players.

Note: This is not really suitable for use with core UKS because of balance issues (in the next release, the full UKS mod will explicitly hide MKS-L if present).

Enjoy!

Edited by RoverDude

Excellent! Definitely a download for me, as (to me) MKS is daunting to plan colonies....by using this, I hope to master it faster, and to appreciate the subtleties of MKS-Heavy when I move over to that mod.

That's precisely the intent :)

This really much exact the kind of surface buildings which i am looking for my careerplay Laythe and Duna colonies... until 1.1 comes out i tweak my Stockgame and will test this mod together with the amazing Orion/ medusa engines...

Other mods are quiet complex to get the hang on them, my playtime is sometimes not so much aswell!

Thanks alot Roverdude! Downloading soon and having a look!

My my you've been busy, I just found your nuclear pulse engine the other day and now this. And I'm quite excited to try out both, especially this one though as I had a lot of fun with the main MKS mod so I'm intrigued to see how you simplified it.

Pretty easy. Smelt stock Ore into RocketParts, command pod is a survey station. Rest of the EL parts work as-is.

And yes, I strongly disagree with single resource to rockets, but given this is the Lite version, it makes sense.

Pretty easy. Smelt stock Ore into RocketParts, command pod is a survey station. Rest of the EL parts work as-is.

And yes, I strongly disagree with single resource to rockets, but given this is the Lite version, it makes sense.

It makes life easier in some instances, kinda like the USI Life Support vs TAC. To each his own;)

I can see using this vs normal MKS, and I can see using normal MKS vs this. Its all in the amount of work that is involved or free time that can be invested.

Awesome! :)

UKS was a tad too complex for me (though I always installed it and Karbonite). I usually ended up unlocking too many parts too quickly and I could never make heads or tails what I was supposed to be doing. The (video) guides I found for it were also very outdated.

I know you already mentioned keeping the part count low, but I do hope you consider a OKS-Lite in your busy schedule. Space stations are almost always the first sustainable locations that players will establish outside of Kerbin. I think being familiar with the UKS colony mechanics after building a station will make people better prepared for planetary colonies. That way they (we) can worry more about delivery and landing.

Let me carefully consider an OKS variant for this - specifically because I want to keep part count low and not overwhelm people.

Yea obviously your mod and your decision, but I don't see where an OKS lite fits in. Unlike the MK-V inflatables of UKS, there aren't any "lite" versions of OKS parts.

Lite OKS life support in orbit? Use the built in recyclers. USI-LS greenhouses or TAC-LS recyclers.

Manufacturing? I don't see how this works in a lite orbital deployment. I don't see a small inflatable base mining to the point of feeding an orbital manufacturing piece. At this point you are beyond "lite"

Orbital EPL? EPL already has an orbital workshop etc, just use that.

Just my 2 funds.

Yea obviously your mod and your decision, but I don't see where an OKS lite fits in. Unlike the MK-V inflatables of UKS, there aren't any "lite" versions of OKS parts.

Lite OKS life support in orbit? Use the built in recyclers. USI-LS greenhouses or TAC-LS recyclers.

Manufacturing? I don't see how this works in a lite orbital deployment. I don't see a small inflatable base mining to the point of feeding an orbital manufacturing piece. At this point you are beyond "lite"

Orbital EPL? EPL already has an orbital workshop etc, just use that.

Just my 2 funds.

Well, I suggested it because it would provide OKS parts with compatible stats to their MKS-L counterparts. Currently, if I wanted OKS parts with "Lite" functionality, I'd have to download the full UKS, delete the non-OKS parts, and possibly edit some the of their stats to balance them with MKS-L. Also, Roverdude mentioned that UKS hides the MKS-L parts if it detects it, so you'd have to turn that off too. The player-base this mod targets, I think, are unlikely to be willing or able to go through that.

You might just need a Pioneer-like part, habitat rings, greenhouse, connector part and the power module. I wish I could explain it a little better, but I don't understand the full UKS mod as it is to put it in words.

Edited by akron