[1.1.3] MKS Lite - A lighter, friendlier colonization mod from USI [0.4.4]

RoverDude

@RoverDude,hello dear sir,i hope i don't hijacking this thread in any way.I really like the idea of resource transfer,without need for physically connecting the parts.
I've been trying to use the resource transfer with the stock parts.Atfirst i thought that USITools.dll are gonna be enough,but i saw that i also need KolonyTools.dll.After awhile i managed to get resources to flow,but i have two consideration.
1st:I thought that the warehouse can accumulate(store) the resources to its full capacity,but apparently they can't.
2nd:Why is there a mandatory presence of an engineer for EC transfer,is it not enough to have an engineer in the vicinity of the base?

Here is my experimental base build on Laythe,it has research and control facility with IRSU,small mining rig and power unit.For now i have only two kerbals at base,pilot in cupola module and engineer in mining rig.Both,research facility and mining rig are equipped with monopropellant fuel cells for night operations.

Spoiler

and MM patches:

Spoiler

@PART[cupola]:Final
{
 MODULE
 {
 name = ExSurveyStation
 }
}

@PART[*Drill]
{
 MODULE
 {
 name = ModuleLogisticsConsumer
 }
}

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleResourceConverter]:HAS[@OUTPUT_RESOURCE:HAS[#ResourceName[ElectricCharge]]]]:Final
{
 MODULE
 {
 name = ModulePowerCoupler
 PowerCouplingRange = 500
 }
 MODULE
 {
 } 
}

@PART[*ISRU]
{
 MODULE
 {
 } 
}

@PART[SurfaceScanner]:Final
{
 MODULE
 {
 name = ModulePowerDistributor
 PowerDistributionRange = 1000
 }

MODULE
 {
 name = ModulePowerCoupler
 PowerCouplingRange = 1000
 }
}

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleCommand],!MODULE[ModuleLogisticsConsumer]]:Final
{   
MODULE
 {
 }
 MODULE
 {
 name = ModuleResourceDistributor
 }
}

@PART[*]:HAS[@RESOURCE[*],!MODULE[ModuleLogisticsConsumer]]:Final
{   
 MODULE
 {
 name = USI_ModuleResourceWarehouse
 }

MODULE
 {
 }
}

@PART[OrbitalScanner]:Final
{
 MODULE
 {
 name = ModulePowerDistributor
 PowerDistributionRange = 2000
 } 
}

Thank you for consideration,best regards.

Edited by sebi.zzr

0.4.4 - (KSP 1.1.3)
------------------
Updates for KSP 1.1.3
Ensured all parts with command capabilities are resource consumers
Resource Distributors benefit from their own extended range when self-supplying
Some normalization regarding power transmission range.  
- The power pack is both a distributor and a coupler, with a 500 meter range.
- A new Power Box acts as both a distributor and coupler, with a 500 meter range.
- MKS Lite does not contain a long-range power distributor at this time.
- The Power Antenna acts as both a distributor and coupler, with a 2000 meter range.
All Kontainers have had their prices fixed.
Nuclear Fuels Kontainers and Supply Packs have been deprecated.  Use the dedicated nuclear fuel / depleted fuel tanks.
New low-profile containers!  Stock-Alike for dry goods, and spherical clusters for liquids.  In sizes from 1.25m to 5m
Bulk harvesters (i.e. sifters) now work without requiring other converters to be active.
Fixed an issue where nuclear waste tanks started full.
All transfer warehouses now default to ENABLED.

On 6/13/2016 at 7:11 AM, goldenpsp said:

Load up AVC.  It should tell you the Kolonization core components are out of date.

I have the exact same problem. I'm running both of these mods on version 1.1.2 but it gets stuck on MKSL Ag module. I have also checked Kolonization version and everything appears to be running on the correct version of 1.1.2 Im very confused and its preventing me from being able to play. 

26 minutes ago, Yuri kagarin56 said:

Yes Im using Tac-ls. When I load up without it It works.

Reinstalled TAC-LS as well and still load up the same problem.

You need the latest kolonization core. The update that fixes it was not bundled into MKS-L

4 minutes ago, Yuri kagarin56 said:

Where do I get it and will it work with 1.1.2?

Roverdude's github. (Easy Google or from his signature). And find it under repositories. It probably isn't the "latest" release at this point but is the one that references bad Tac-LS configs

2 minutes ago, goldenpsp said:

Roverdude's github. (Easy Google or from his signature). And find it under repositories. It probably isn't the "latest" release at this point but is the one that references bad Tac-LS configs

Ahhhhh I seee it now. Im loading it up hopefully it works

Yes it does work. Thanks a ton!

5 minutes ago, Yuri kagarin56 said:

Well I used to be able to create rocketparts from the workshop and smelters was that tossed out?

It might help to give more info.  Your one liners are hard to do any diagnosis.  For example if you are on 1.1.3, it broke EL and Taniwha hasn't released a fixed version yet.

In 1.0.5 I was able to create rocketparts with the various parts of MKS and then construct vessels through the scout survey UI at the survery stakes. However now in 1.1.2 Im only able to create material kits and therefore unable to make rockets.

This seems like a really cool mod, I tested out regular USI Kolonization the other day and got overwhelm with the parts and functions. I just came across this one just today and saw a video review on it and I like it. 

My question is, Is it possible to add in the USI Kolonization later on to my game save and remove the lite version, or is something simple of starting a new save game with USI Kolonization in the mod folder and remove the Lite version out.

Because I thought later on I might like it a lot that I would want to move on the the big brother of the mod, I just don't know how or if there was a integration to a current game.

Thanks!

28 minutes ago, therealcrow999 said:

This seems like a really cool mod, I tested out regular USI Kolonization the other day and got overwhelm with the parts and functions. I just came across this one just today and saw a video review on it and I like it. 

My question is, Is it possible to add in the USI Kolonization later on to my game save and remove the lite version, or is something simple of starting a new save game with USI Kolonization in the mod folder and remove the Lite version out.

Because I thought later on I might like it a lot that I would want to move on the the big brother of the mod, I just don't know how or if there was a integration to a current game.

Thanks!

Yes and no - They don't conflict, and your bases/ships built with mod will still work and look like they fit in.  However, the parts used to build them will be hidden from further use, and they won't integrate into the other mod in any way.

So, basically: It's designed not to hurt if you upgrade.  You won't lose anything you've built, and you won't have useless resources someplace.  But from then on everything gets the new parts.  (And your bases built with this mod will be a bit OP in relation.)

I'm struggling with the power distribution. I lanched a craft on the launchpad with a nuclear reactor, an engineer and a microwave power transceiver, and then another from the runway with an engineer and another transceiver. Right clicking the transceivers it says no PDU in range. Am I missing something?

Also am I correct that you have to have an an engineer where the power is being generated, or does there just have to be an engineer somewhere in your base?

On 7/2/2016 at 7:44 AM, tomf said:

I'm struggling with the power distribution. I lanched a craft on the launchpad with a nuclear reactor, an engineer and a microwave power transceiver, and then another from the runway with an engineer and another transceiver. Right clicking the transceivers it says no PDU in range. Am I missing something?

Also am I correct that you have to have an an engineer where the power is being generated, or does there just have to be an engineer somewhere in your base?

I'm also struggling with the power distribution, made a quick test with one reactor and engineer 200m from main structure and i get the "No PDU in range" error on the right-click menu. 

EDIT: It seems the Sunflower and the Scout Power Pack see the PDUs in the menu but aren't getting power... 

EDIT2: Seems it's also an issue in the bigger MKS mod

Edited by Mokmo

• 1 month later...

Is anyone aware of any videos that demonstrated base construction in MKS Lite, from start to finish? If so, could you please link to it?

I've done a bit of searching but can't seem to find one that shows the actual construction process. I would appreciate it!

10 minutes ago, Bandus said:

Is anyone aware of any videos that demonstrated base construction in MKS Lite, from start to finish? If so, could you please link to it?

I've done a bit of searching but can't seem to find one that shows the actual construction process. I would appreciate it!

Bandus, I am planning on eventually making a video of building a base on Ike and Duna. If not a video, I will release all the parts/ station sections/ vehicles with pictures.  I am testing the base building right now on Minmus and so far it looks to be working fine.

The mods you will need:

1. Extraplanetary Launchpads. Can't leave home without it (literialy)! EPL uses rocketparts, you will need to take a file (EL_USI.cfg) from the full MKS version to get EPL to use material kits and specialized parts.

2. MKS Lite. The "scout workshop" is a critical part of this.

3. USI Life support.  You could do all of this without a life support mod. But why? The little recycler that is included in this mod is a game changer for base building using EPL.

4. KIS/KAS Another critical mod.

Optional mods:

1. Kerbal Planetary Base Systems. The mod does not officially have any EPL parts just yet but there are workarounds. The mod does work with Roverdudes USI LS. 

2. Keridian Dynamics.  This mod has different models for the material kits manufacturing and launchpads.

3. Kerbal Hacks. Asphalt tiles that you can build launchpads with.

With these mods you can launch a base building pod from Kerbin and build a base on whatever rock you want to. You will need to get your power and ore mining up first, manufacturing second, then focus on life support. Your initial base drop pod should carry enough material kits/specialized parts to build your first structure.  You will also need to bring with you enough supplies/life support recycling to keep your kerbal alive until the base life support is operational.  

This is how I am approaching the challenge it and it seems to be working pretty well.

I hope this at least points you in the right direction.

So uhm, someone PM'd me asking if i had found a solution to my power distribution issues between the few modules included in the mod: The antenna, the box, the deployable light and the ore-fueled generator (i might be missing one but those are the 4 i'm sure of in Lite).

My post is from 6 weeks ago and i regret to say i tried something only tonight and it didn't work. There has not been any updates on the mod and i don'T expect one until 1.2

I had not tried a solution that i was considering based on what i saw on old forum posts in the Big MKS thread (now it's 100 pages deep from newest...). I tried adding ModuleResourceDistributor and ModuleLogisticsConsumer to all 4 parts using a ModuleManager patch. Nothing changed on my test... 

• 2 weeks later...

I just came back to KSP after a long vacation from the game, since 0.25 (and even then, I didn't get far enough in career mode to even do a landing), but I have to say this mod makes me very happy. I wanted to try out UKS since I first heard about it, but my old computer just wasn't very good so my careers never lasted long enough. Coming back to it now, and with a career that is looking like it might get far enough for me to try it, I was just today looking ahead and realizing I had no clue where to begin. I came to the forum to look for tutorials, but even better, I found this! I think this will be a great way to learn the mod, and I can advance to the full version in maybe 1.2 when it gets updated.

Of course, I still need to figure out how to make a proper lander before I can even begin. ;-)

*ETA: Is there a compatibility issue with Unmanned Before Manned? It seems like at least many of these items should be unlocking with advanced construction, but it's not showing up in the lists of parts under that technology in the research building. I haven't unlocked of that node yet, to know if I'll get the parts anyway however. Nevermind. I'm an idiot and was looking at the wrong config files. (Also, not looking nearly far enough along in the tech tree.)

Edited by Fobok
Removed question. Oops.