[1.1.3] MKS Lite - A lighter, friendlier colonization mod from USI [0.4.4]

RoverDude

I really like that simplicity approach and will definatley give it a try in a future game. My question is, if MKS Lite is still much simpler than the new Koala modules introduced recently? I already thought those are some kind of step stone towords the MK-3 modules. Is it really just the missing efficiency and crew traits that make this even simpler than MK-5 modules?

MKS-L also has much more powerful resource chains (for example, you get the cultivator out of the gate). So it's the easiest, smallest form factor but tied with modules that are on-par or superior to the UKS variants. That's why the two mods can't really co-exist :) Which is fine.

I think MKS-L has two audiences: Folks that just want stuff that is simple, and they will stick with it, and folks that will use it to learn the ropes of UKS and will eventually step up to that mod.

The balancing point right now is going to be keeping the part count low while also respecting that folks just want pretty base parts (especially as there are even more of those in the works).

So one thought I am considering is to go down the path of having base part packs, and separate DLLs for MKS-L and UKS (with UKS taking precedence) that interact with said part packs, but that's something for down the line as I have some other fish to fry at the moment.

I don't know if this is a problem with MKS-Lite or USI-LS, but I have Jeb in orbit around Minmus in a ship with no life support. When I click on the Life Support tab, it says "Crew Lost", but Jeb is still smiling in the cabin. I can still fly the ship and EVA like normal. I was under the impression that if they ran out of supplies, they would turn into "tourists" until you supplied them with more food. Am I doing something wrong?

I don't know if this is a problem with MKS-Lite or USI-LS, but I have Jeb in orbit around Minmus in a ship with no life support. When I click on the Life Support tab, it says "Crew Lost", but Jeb is still smiling in the cabin. I can still fly the ship and EVA like normal. I was under the impression that if they ran out of supplies, they would turn into "tourists" until you supplied them with more food. Am I doing something wrong?

with USI-LS by default the orange suits are not affected by hunger.

Which FYI is clearly spelled out in the description for USI-LS in it's threads OP.

So, I finally sat down to set up a Mun colony (had the mod downloaded and incorporated into a new game with the latest version of MKS lite on tap).

For some reason, I cannot find any fertilizer. I have checked all of the modules (habitation module, ag module, storage module, etc.), but the fertilizer does not show up at all in any quantities, nor does it have any options in tweaking while in VAB (when I switch to Kontainers options, for example, the title Fertilizer will show up in the top of the tweak window, but no option or anything regarding fertilizer will show up in the tweaking portion (i.e. green bar, with options).

I know I must have been adding something wrong, but all of the other MKS-related resources show up (dirt, organics, supplies, mulch), but not the fertilizer. Because of the lack of fertilizer, the whole life support system seems not to work (I have used hyper edit to test things out - adding waste, co2, wastewater, adding some mulch, dirt, etc.....but there is no option to add fertilizer, even in hyper edit).

Most strange indeed.

Edited by Gaultesian

So, I finally sat down to set up a Mun colony (had the mod downloaded and incorporated into a new game with the latest version of MKS lite on tap).

For some reason, I cannot find any fertilizer. I have checked all of the modules (habitation module, ag module, storage module, etc.), but the fertilizer does not show up at all in any quantities, nor does it have any options in tweaking while in VAB (when I switch to Kontainers options, for example, the title Fertilizer will show up in the top of the tweak window, but no option or anything regarding fertilizer will show up in the tweaking portion (i.e. green bar, with options).

I know I must have been adding something wrong, but all of the other MKS-related resources show up (dirt, organics, supplies, mulch), but not the fertilizer. Because of the lack of fertilizer, the whole life support system seems not to work (I have used hyper edit to test things out - adding waste, co2, wastewater, adding some mulch, dirt, etc.....but there is no option to add fertilizer, even in hyper edit).

Most strange indeed.

Fertilizer definition is missing in resource.cfg

For now you can solve on this way

fertilizer_fix.cfg

RESOURCE_DEFINITION
{
name = Fertilizer
density = 0.001
flowMode = ALL_VESSEL
transfer = PUMP
unitCost = 5
isTweakable = true
}

Edited by Badsector

Best bet is to just mess with Efficiency and add a decimal place ;) Smaller is less efficient

Thanks for the tip. It looks like "Max outputs" remains "1.00/sec" regardless of Efficiency (or other values). Is that working as intended?

Hello, and thanks for those marvelous mods. I just started using MKS Lite and have tons of questions :(

Here is my base. I wanted to try first a prototype in a controlled environment and the experimentation phases are taking place in Kerbin's grasslands.

Considering this design...

- Even when there are some solar panels, the whole base is not getting any energy. Does this mean that it is not a true base, and some parts are disconnected? from each other?

- The mini-lab is attached to the sifter, and the only way to make this work is with a scientist inside? Will I need an engineer inside another lab attached to the power cores to make them work too?

- The Hab section is completely disconnected from everything. Even when a kerbal is inside, it counts as a different "base". Is this intended or am I doing something wrong?

- The only place with cool lights is the Hab. These lights do not seem to consume any power. Is this correct?

- What is all that ISRU stuff? I have also installed USI Life Support and there's no Oxygen needed.

- How can I access the now extremely high command module hatch?

- Where can I attach the small fertilizer, mulch and supplies packs, in order for them to actually connect to the base and use the resources?

I'm sorry, I'm totally clueless here :(

01FE051F2E76E0BA1AE92538CABD988AA52014AD

@Fraz - more context and screenshots please :)

Sure, no problem!

Here is my current patch for the Sifter:

@PART[MKSL_Sifter]
{
@MODULE[ModuleResourceHarvester]:HAS[#ResourceName[Ore]]
{
@Efficiency = 0.1
}
}

And here is the info displayed for the Sifter in the VAB, which is the same with or without the above patch:

InmLyvu.png

It seems that "max output" = "1.00/sec" regardless of what changes I make within ModuleResourceHarvester. I'm trying to figure out if I'm doing something wrong, or if this is expected behavior.

Edited by Fraz86

Several things...

1) I like the simplification of this mod... And also I think that it help me to understand the more complex mod (MKS/OKS)

2) I will join in the pledge for a OKS Lite

3) I made this first base, but I don't know why is not working correctly.

97ZPuLK.png

Because I didn't have organics I started the farms to produce it... The two subsystems of the habitats did not start yet. 4 greenhouses working but It don`t produce any organics?

I am using the last version of TAC Life Support v0.11.1.20.

4) But thanks to this mod I was thinking on come back to (MKS/OKS) now I see it more easy, because I know that it not necessary to build a complete base on the first try, I can start with a simple base, and grow it with time.

Hello, and thanks for those marvelous mods. I just started using MKS Lite and have tons of questions :(

Here is my base. I wanted to try first a prototype in a controlled environment and the experimentation phases are taking place in Kerbin's grasslands.

Considering this design...

- Even when there are some solar panels, the whole base is not getting any energy. Does this mean that it is not a true base, and some parts are disconnected? from each other?

- The mini-lab is attached to the sifter, and the only way to make this work is with a scientist inside? Will I need an engineer inside another lab attached to the power cores to make them work too?

- The Hab section is completely disconnected from everything. Even when a kerbal is inside, it counts as a different "base". Is this intended or am I doing something wrong?

- The only place with cool lights is the Hab. These lights do not seem to consume any power. Is this correct?

- What is all that ISRU stuff? I have also installed USI Life Support and there's no Oxygen needed.

- How can I access the now extremely high command module hatch?

- Where can I attach the small fertilizer, mulch and supplies packs, in order for them to actually connect to the base and use the resources?

I'm sorry, I'm totally clueless here :(

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/574565690951352170/01FE051F2E76E0BA1AE92538CABD988AA52014AD/

- Well, looks like the bits are physically connected - so odds are you're just running out of power. That's not a lot of solar...

- Scientist has to be in the same vessel to provide the sifter's efficiency bonus. The engineer presence is only for transmitting to nearby disconnected bases.

- I don't see it physically disconnected - is it? That's what is confusing me about your image vs what you are asking.

- Lights do consume power. If other bits are missing their lights, your release may be out of date.

- I don't understand what you mean RE Oxygen vs ISRU...

- Access the upper hatch with a ladder

- Attach them anywhere on the base and they will count.

Several things...

1) I like the simplification of this mod... And also I think that it help me to understand the more complex mod (MKS/OKS)

2) I will join in the pledge for a OKS Lite

3) I made this first base, but I don't know why is not working correctly.

http://i.imgur.com/97ZPuLK.png

Because I didn't have organics I started the farms to produce it... The two subsystems of the habitats did not start yet. 4 greenhouses working but It don`t produce any organics?

I am using the last version of TAC Life Support v0.11.1.20.

4) But thanks to this mod I was thinking on come back to (MKS/OKS) now I see it more easy, because I know that it not necessary to build a complete base on the first try, I can start with a simple base, and grow it with time.

There was a goof where the fertilizer resource was not defined - someone posted a fix earlier, or just borrow the resource definitions from USI-LS

- Well, looks like the bits are physically connected - so odds are you're just running out of power. That's not a lot of solar...

- Scientist has to be in the same vessel to provide the sifter's efficiency bonus. The engineer presence is only for transmitting to nearby disconnected bases.

- I don't see it physically disconnected - is it? That's what is confusing me about your image vs what you are asking.

- Lights do consume power. If other bits are missing their lights, your release may be out of date.

- I don't understand what you mean RE Oxygen vs ISRU...

- Access the upper hatch with a ladder

- Attach them anywhere on the base and they will count.

There was a goof where the fertilizer resource was not defined - someone posted a fix earlier, or just borrow the resource definitions from USI-LS

Is there a fix in the works for fertilizer? Or will i have to do the scariest thing ever and edit some files.