[Concept] The Mun

NovaSilisko

Disclaimer: This is not an actual mod. Just a concept for the future of KSP. I still hold an immense love for the idea of a KSP lunar race, so I made this when I had nothing better to do:

The Mun!

Discovered 14 years ago in the year 1997, The Mun has fascinated all of Kerbalkind since it's silvery glowing mass was first sighted in the crude beginnings of astronomical observation and visual improvement medicine.

moon_small.png

It is roughly 200 km in radius, orbiting at a distance of 48000 12000* km, and only showing one face to Kerbin at all times. Gravity is consistent at 0.125x Kerbin's gravity. Mass roughly half of Earth's moon. Tidally locked to Kerbin, like Earth's moon.

*Distance chosen to give Kerbin a size similar to Earth when viewed from its moon.

Big images:

Near side

mun_nearside.png

Far side

mun_farside.png

Ingame mockup

mockup.png

Ingame mockup #2

mockup2.png

Lunar landing wallpaper

ksp_wallpaper.png

It's also shaped a bit like Jebediah.

Guest Jebediah Kerman

48000 km seems WAY too close, maybe 200,000km... Man if only someone could stick this in the game .

48000 km seems WAY too close, maybe 200,000km... Man if only someone could stick this in the game .

At 5000 km, kearth starts looking pretty small. At 48000 it's similar in size to the earth from our moon.

No I did not.

Also, looking at it again, even 20,000 KM is similar in visual size to the earth from the moon...

Remember, I don't mean METERS, I mean KILOMETERS.

48,000 meter orbit for a moon would be amusing though.

Oh GOD, that near side face is creeeeepy! It's no wonder the Kerbals are scrambling into space at breakneck pace. If I had a giant grinning face like that looking at me from above, I'd want to get the hell off that rock and as far away as possible too.