[1.3.x] CONTARES 1.8.9 closed

hraban

If the Cultural Revolution had not taken place, this spaceship would probably already have been flown in 1973. Project 714, also known as 'Shuguang', was very similar to the Gemini spaceship, but was much lighter and smaller. A true can for 2 people.

P714-001,medium_large.2x.1510503121.pngP714-002,medium_large.2x.1510503118.png

P714-003,medium_large.2x.1510503116.png

P714-004,medium_large.2x.1510503112.pngP714-005,medium_large.2x.1510503110.png

13 minutes ago, hraban said:

No, should I know that?

Ah, it is an alternate history written by the same author as Eyes Turned Skyward. Deals with exactly that - Shuguang, and a bunch of other early chinese tech. Basically, it's about what was possible with CZ-2 level launchers and nothing more.

https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/tliaw-dawn-of-the-dragon.383156/

aVSwA82.png

Another step to complete the Japanese launch vehicle family backwards.

The H-I was an important step in the development of independent Japanese space travel. The first stage was based on a license replica of a, at the time of use already outdated, delta variant. The second stage was a purely Japanese development and using the Le-5 LH2/LOX engine, the basis of the future H-II series. The H-I was too expensive for commercial use, but served excellently in the service of Japan between 1986 and 1992.

H1-NASDA-001,medium_large.2x.1510775919.png

After the planning of Hermes in the third attempt revealed more and more that a shuttle of this size is simply not profitable, BAe delivered a project study for a space capsule with high reuse potential which could be started on the available Ariane 40. Well, the project study revealed some shortcomings, so the amount of fuel available was insufficient for more extensive maneuvering. A larger and thus heavier orbital maneuvering unit, which forms the nose cone in the BAe MRRC, would have been necessary. But with the additional weight, the Ariane 40 would have been overwhelmed.

But especially for KSP, the BAe MRRC enriches a potentially earlier Manned space program with ESA-like spacecrafts.

BAe-MRRC-001,medium_large.2x.1510940113.PNG

9 minutes ago, RaiderMan said:

I cannot wait for a chance to play with this capsule.

question, how big is she compared to the stock kerbal capsules? so I can get an idea on what launchers would be suitable?

It is, like all Contares Parts a 50% scale. Based on this Print:

MRRC+3views.jpg

Dimensions and specs for the Contres KSP model:

max. diameter: 1.875m (rescale to 2.5m possible)
top docking diameter: 0.9375m (if rescaled to 2.5m the docking node is 1.25m)
crew: 3 Kerbals

Planed launch vehicle: Contares ALIYANA 40/44

2 minutes ago, RaiderMan said:

are there any REQUIRED dependencies that must be installed, even if one just wishes to play with the rockets and capsules?

Please read the startup entry (OP). There is a list of all necessary and recommended mods.

New LES system for UNION (Soyuz) spaceships. The LES has three fairings coresponding to Ø 0.625m, 0.9375 and 1.25m. The LES works perfect with the mod "Procedural Fairing", shown on the picture. One more vintage LES is in progress.

front-UNION-3K-TM-1,medium_large.2x.1511UNIUON-LES,medium_large.2x.1511559779.pn

SAS-3_2.jpg

Edited by hraban

39 minutes ago, Kerbal01 said:

Interested in making a long march 3B, think i can kitbash all but the hydrolox upper stage.

It is already planned to expand the offer of Chinese launcher. The engines YF-20/21/24 are already being revised. The LH2/LOX engine YF75 is already available in the variant D for the upper stage of the CZ-5 (Kih5), but does not fit to CZ-3B because of the large nozzle of the D variant. The creation of the YF-73 is waived.  The necessary UDMH tanks for all CZ-2 and CZ-3 variants have already been completed.

1 hour ago, hraban said:

It is already planned to expand the offer of Chinese launcher. The engines YF-20/21/24 are already being revised. The LH2/LOX engine YF75 is already available in the variant D for the upper stage of the CZ-5 (Kih5), but does not fit to CZ-3B because of the large nozzle of the D variant. The creation of the YF-73 is waived.  The necessary UDMH tanks for all CZ-2 and CZ-3 variants have already been completed.

sweet thanks!

More small details for UNION (Soyuz) space craft: The wiring harness connects the orbital module and the landing capsule to the service module. The wiring harness is, like the periscope, equipped with its own decoupler.

SOJ-KB-001,medium_large.2x.1511893298.pngSOJ-KB-002,medium_large.2x.1511893294.png

Final test of the solar panel for the CBAe MRRC.

BAe-MRRC-005,medium_large.2x.1511893886.png

CBAe MRRC on ALIYANA 40 with fins (Ariane 40) with short LH2/LOX third upper stage.

CBAe-MRRC-on-ALIYANA-40,medium_large.2x.1511895649.png

No, that's not a UFO! This is a Kerbal-compatible interpretation of the "Fuji project"

BERG-001,medium_large.2x.1511894904.pngBERG-002,medium_large.2x.1511895014.png

Edited by hraban

1 hour ago, Deltac said:

Well give me a hotdog and call me salami, that looks great!  Does it fit Tantares Soyuz?  Can it be tied into a bow for pretty Soyuz? :P

Yes, the beautiful Contares wiring harness also fits on the playmobil® Tantares Soyuz :cool:

Playmobil-001,medium_large.2x.1511901249.PNG

Edited by hraban

2 hours ago, hraban said:

Yes, the beautiful Contares wiring harness also fits on the playmobil® Tantares Soyuz :cool:

Playmobil-001,medium_large.2x.1511901249.PNG

oof, cheeky!

It's a very nice part (But, my interest is more drawn to the Fuji!).
I wonder if this can be made more dynamic with compound parts (Aka the struts).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.