[1.3.x] CONTARES 1.8.9 closed

hraban

Hurray!

EDIT: Hraban, your textures are really big! If I make a suggestion, I would look into trying to make textures more efficient and reducing the number of sheets you use. For example, for my Mercury parts, they all go on a single 512x512 texture.

I bring it up because it is a very practical consideration, even after we get 64bit with KSP 1.1. Having the lots of textures to load into memory makes the game take longer to load and also slows the whole thing down.

Also, specifically on emissive textures, you can make them far smaller than the main texture. For the CA-1, for example, you could probably make the emmissive 256 or even 128 pixels.

Edited by CobaltWolf

13 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Hurray!

EDIT: Hraban, your textures are really big! If I make a suggestion, I would look into trying to make textures more efficient and reducing the number of sheets you use. For example, for my Mercury parts, they all go on a single 512x512 texture.

I bring it up because it is a very practical consideration, even after we get 64bit with KSP 1.1. Having the lots of textures to load into memory makes the game take longer to load and also slows the whole thing down.

Also, specifically on emissive textures, you can make them far smaller than the main texture. For the CA-1, for example, you could probably make the emmissive 256 or even 128 pixels.

Hi CobaltWolf,

thanks for the tip to reduce the size of emissive textures. The count of textures on more dificult parts results out of the uv-mapping handling in Wings3D. Maybe i have not yet found all the functions that would be quite conceivable.

Can anyone direct me to an alternate download? I have been trying the Kerbal Stuff download every few days for about a month now just to see if my issue fixes its self. Every time I try it will tell me the download has failed. I don't have this issue with anything else on Kerbal Stuff and my internet connection is solid.

11 minutes ago, Foxxonius Augustus said:

Can anyone direct me to an alternate download? I have been trying the Kerbal Stuff download every few days for about a month now just to see if my issue fixes its self. Every time I try it will tell me the download has failed. I don't have this issue with anything else on Kerbal Stuff and my internet connection is solid.

Go on the first Page and download from my dropbox.

14 hours ago, 123nick said:

can you add in some RT support, and maybe FAR support too for the fins?

Is meant by RT the mod RemoteTech? If yes, then no. I use neither RemoteTech nor FAR. Accordingly, there is no experience on possible or necessary adjustments. Deliver example configurations and script code, then we can discuss it.

Just read, FAR deactivated automatically on 64bit KSP. After only operate the 64bit variant the support of FAR does not make sense.

Edited by hraban

7 hours ago, hraban said:

Is meant by RT the mod RemoteTech? If yes, then no. I use neither RemoteTech nor FAR. Accordingly, there is no experience on possible or necessary adjustments. Deliver example configurations and script code, then we can discuss it.

Just read, FAR deactivated automatically on 64bit KSP. After only operate the 64bit variant the support of FAR does not make sense.

FAR can be used with linux 64 bit, and windows 32 bit, but not windows 64 bit. but ok then.

15 minutes ago, 123nick said:

FAR can be used with linux 64 bit, and windows 32 bit, but not windows 64 bit. but ok then.

As far as I can overlook no configuration changes are necessary for the use of FAR. If adjustments are necessary i expect some commitment.

2 hours ago, hraban said:

As far as I can overlook no configuration changes are necessary for the use of FAR. If adjustments are necessary i expect some commitment.

FAR has a different module or something for fins, control surfaces, and wings. if you check around on the forums, you might be able to find the values needed, to add FAR compatability too the fins. although i cant help, you might be able to somehow copy the FAR values for stock fins, and maybe have them pasted over too your fins? maybe? idk, ask around on the forums.

10 hours ago, hraban said:

RT compatibility changes is easy, packaged with RT is a MM patch to change the stock antannes, and by copying the file and having it packaged with your download, with some slight adjustments, you can have some temporary, slightly unbalanced parts compatible with RT. its basically just assigning a range for antenna, and for dishes a range, and cone , and for both EC usage. not too complicated, i hope. 

9 minutes ago, 123nick said:

FAR has a different module or something for fins, control surfaces, and wings. if you check around on the forums, you might be able to find the values needed, to add FAR compatability too the fins. although i cant help, you might be able to somehow copy the FAR values for stock fins, and maybe have them pasted over too your fins? maybe? idk, ask around on the forums.

RT compatibility changes is easy, packaged with RT is a MM patch to change the stock antannes, and by copying the file and having it packaged with your download, with some slight adjustments, you can have some temporary, slightly unbalanced parts compatible with RT. its basically just assigning a range for antenna, and for dishes a range, and cone , and for both EC usage. not too complicated, i hope. 

Shall deal with RT and perhaps with FAR in the new year. If you want, feel free to write appropriate patch files and send them to me.

10 minutes ago, hraban said:

Shall deal with RT and perhaps with FAR in the new year. If you want, feel free to write appropriate patch files and send them to me.

If you would like I can whip up some RT configs for you, I have already done the Tantares RT configs so I can make sure your antenna fit in. :)

6 hours ago, Foxxonius Augustus said:

If you would like I can whip up some RT configs for you, I have already done the Tantares RT configs so I can make sure your antenna fit in. :)

thanks for doing this, now i can have some perfect RT dishes/antennas :)

18 hours ago, hraban said:

perfect :)

11 hours ago, 123nick said:

thanks for doing this, now i can have some perfect RT dishes/antennas :)

One thing that would help immensely would be knowing what real world antenna these parts represent. I know one and am hazy on another. If, for the sake of simplicity, I could be directed the the correct satellite/probe that corresponds to A, B, C and D in the following image, that would make this process go much faster.

AwV96eZ.png

A-B-C-D

Thanks in advance!

A and C see this link Galileo Test-Satellite description

A = array of 7 circularized dipol transmit and receive antennas

B = Soyuz/Progress Docking Antenna 2ACØ-1M BKA-03

C = HG Multiarray Position Send Array (Galileo or GPS code)

D = Standard Dipol Antenna (Mounted on Apollo 17) Low Gain

Edited by hraban

10 hours ago, hraban said:

A and C see this link Galileo Test-Satellite description

A = array of 7 circularized dipol send- and receive antennas

B = Soyuz/Progress Docking Antenna 2ACØ-1M BKA-03

C = HG Multiarray Position Send Array (Galileo or GPS code)

D = Standard Dipol Antenna (Mounted on Apollo 17) Low Gain

Thanks for that, it made this much quicker! The Remote Tech config is basically ready, it just needs a few more tests and a bit of polish. One thing I wanted to ask Hraban is if I can have permission to modify the descriptions and placement of the antenna in the tech tree. If so it will only ever take effect if Remote Tech is also installed.

Edited by Foxxonius Augustus

2 minutes ago, Foxxonius Augustus said:

Thanks for that, it made this much quicker! The Remote Tech config is basically ready, it just needs a few more test and a bit of polish. One thing I wanted to ask Hraban is if I can have permission to modify the descriptions and placement of the antenna in the tech tree. If so it will only ever take effect if Remote Tech is also installed.

Tell me with what names, descriptions and techtree entries would imagine please. The adjustment I suppose directly in the cfg files.

1 hour ago, hraban said:

Tell me with what names, descriptions and techtree entries would imagine please. The adjustment I suppose directly in the cfg files.

I wanted to move the Galileo antenna over to the Electronics node on the basis that they are not really used for science and making surer the player has Advanced Electrics and thus has access to decent solar panels. The HAHM I wanted to move to Precision Engineering to bring it in line with other Kurs based antenna. Lastly, the YAGI I wanted to move the Advanced Electrics to bring it in line with other Apollo related antenna. This is a tricky one as that antenna was used for a the ALSE experiment and not for communication, in fact the data it produced was recorded on 70 mm film and had to be retrieved by EVA. Long story made short is this, I gave it 3x the range of Apollo 17s maximum altitude, this still makes it the shortest range antenna in the game, to compensate and because of its real world nature as a science experiment I gave it excellent data transmission stats. This brings me to the only description I feel might need changing for Remote Tech. Given the change to the YAGI I wanted to change it from this "Very low data transmission but better then nothing." to this "Very low range but better data transmission then anything else!".

11 minutes ago, Foxxonius Augustus said:

I wanted to move the Galileo antenna over to the Electronics node on the basis that they are not really used for science and making surer the player has Advanced Electrics and thus has access to decent solar panels. The HAHM I wanted to move to Precision Engineering to bring it in line with other Kurs based antenna. Lastly, the YAGI I wanted to move the Advanced Electrics to bring it in line with other Apollo related antenna. This is a tricky one as that antenna was used for a the ALSE experiment and not for communication, in fact the data it produced was recorded on 70 mm film and had to be retrieved by EVA. Long story made short is this, I gave it 3x the range of Apollo 17s maximum altitude, this still makes it the shortest range antenna in the game, to compensate and because of its real world nature as a science experiment I gave it excellent data transmission stats. This brings me to the only description I feel might need changing for Remote Tech. Given the change to the YAGI I wanted to change it from this "Very low data transmission but better then nothing." to this "Very low range but better data transmission then anything else!".

That sounds good. The changes are immediately made and delivered with the version 1.6.1 before Christmas.

Ok then thanks again Hraban for the quick responses! The config file is ready and can be found Here. Hraban you can either post a link in the OP or package it as you see fit. Just place the file in the Contares folder in gamedata, outside any subfolder.

Edit: Just to clarify, the description only needs to be changed for Remote Tech as its stats are unchanged unless it's installed. Any changes to Description or tech node are done within my config.

15 hours ago, Foxxonius Augustus said:

Thanks for that, it made this much quicker! The Remote Tech config is basically ready, it just needs a few more tests and a bit of polish. 

Do you mind posting what your planned cone angle / range / EC usage is for each?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.