[1.3.x] CONTARES 1.8.9 closed

hraban

15 hours ago, Foxxonius Augustus said:

Ok then thanks again Hraban for the quick responses! The config file is ready and can be found Here. Hraban you can either post a link in the OP or package it as you see fit. Just place the file in the Contares folder in gamedata, outside any subfolder.

Edit: Just to clarify, the description only needs to be changed for Remote Tech as its stats are unchanged unless it's installed. Any changes to Description or tech node are done within my config.

thank you VERY much :D

1 hour ago, WuphonsReach said:

Do you mind posting what your planned cone angle / range / EC usage is for each?

It's ready right now and available for DL in my previous post. Though some/all of them deserve some explanation.

The KPS Coordinate-Array and the CONCOM-7 are both antenna from the Galileo GNSS. These took some research to get right. In the real world Galileo flies in three orbital planes at an altitude of 23 Mm with an orbital period of about 14 hours. For a correct orbit in KSP than, the satellites would need an orbital period of about 4 hours, this occurs at an altitude of ~2,047 Km. To determine the range these antenna need is just a matter of taking that figure, rounded down to 2 Mm, plus the radius of Kerbin, 600 Km and adding a further 100 km for good measure and safety for a total of 2,700 Km or 2.7 Mm. The cone angles are a bit of a guess but the angle for the KPS Coordinate-Array cone angle of 30 degrees covers all of Kerbin at the correct altitude. To avoid just copying the stats of the KPS Coordinate-Array, the CONCOM-7 has a much narrower cone angle of 10 degrees but gets a much better data rate at lower EC cost. The HAHM Communication Dish is another story. Its stats are mostly based on balancing it with the other Kurs based antenna in Tantares. It has a longer range, higher EC cost and narrower cone but a better data rate.

To summarize.

Name Range Cone Angle EC cost
KPS Coordinate-Array 2.7 Mm 30 Degrees 0.45/sec
CONCOM-7 2.7 Mm 10 Degrees 0.01/sec
HAHM Communication Dish 55 Mm 4 Degrees 0.55/sec

For anyone that missed it.

Remote Tech Config Dropbox Download

(place in the Contares folder outside any sub folder, it will override the required parts of the part config files but only if RT is installed.)

22 minutes ago, 123nick said:

thank you VERY much :D

You are very welcome!

Edited by Foxxonius Augustus
Receving praise...

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all and a happy Christmas!

A brief overview of the update 1.6.1 which will be released over the next 2 days.

Some of the textures has been changed and reduced. This process will be completed by the 1.8.0 update.
The prototype parts for x-prize products such as Haas and Canadian Arrow are still included in the patch, but I think to remove them from version 1.7.0. obviously, there is no interest.
The command module CTV received an interior lighting.
A complete set of 1.875m tank was created. Includes upper and lower tank conclusion. All these parts are also tweakable.
The hype to recreate chinese launchers has also reached me. A set of engines has been designed which allow a reproduction of the CZ-F2 (Long March). In the pictures you can look at my design.
Of course, in this case the spacecraft may not be missing. So an orbital module (KhiOm) a return capsule (KhiRe) and a service module (KhiSm) has been implemented.

Have fun with the pictures and happy holidays

Hraban, I think there's certainly a good enough reason to use them. Parts dedicated to short tourist hops would be interesting. For some reason the mobile site won't let me insert a line break, but was it hard finding reference for the Chinese stuff? Do you think you'll try and do anything else from their program?

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

Hraban, I think there's certainly a good enough reason to use them. Parts dedicated to short tourist hops would be interesting. For some reason the mobile site won't let me insert a line break, but was it hard finding reference for the Chinese stuff? Do you think you'll try and do anything else from their program?

Hello Cobalt Wolf,

if there are more efforts regarding the suborbital hops depends on the interest of the forum community.

Regarding the Chinese launchers there is not really reliable sources. Much of the information available on the Internet are definitely wrong.
It was not easy to get at halfway useful information about the performance of the engines and the actual take-off weight. It is interesting at this point that obviously all engines of F2 have nearly identical performance values and correspond roughly to the level of proficiency soviet ICBMs in the late 60's.

Perhaps there will be parts of the Chinese space station, of course, adapted to the needs of small green Kerbals.Preparations already exist. already in the design of 1.875m orbital modules for smaller and lighter space stations.

As already mentioned several times is not intended to replicate any launcher and each module in perfection. Suffice these visually distinctive but always adapt to Kerbal conditions.

BHQ3EeA.png

Edited by hraban

7 hours ago, hraban said:

Hello Cobalt Wolf,

if there are more efforts regarding the suborbital hops depends on the interest of the forum community.

Regarding the Chinese launchers there is not really reliable sources. Much of the information available on the Internet are definitely wrong.
It was not easy to get at halfway useful information about the performance of the engines and the actual take-off weight. It is interesting at this point that obviously all engines of F2 have nearly identical performance values and correspond roughly to the level of proficiency soviet ICBMs in the late 60's.

Perhaps there will be parts of the Chinese space station, of course, adapted to the needs of small green Kerbals.Preparations already exist. already in the design of 1.875m orbital modules for smaller and lighter space stations.

As already mentioned several times is not intended to replicate any launcher and each module in perfection. Suffice these visually distinctive but always adapt to Kerbal conditions.

BHQ3EeA.png

I figured! I think you should feel free to explore with stuff. Personally I find interpreting things to be the best part. The new orbital modules look great!

Also,

nYbmfGO.png

o3o

Dir auch 'nen guten Rutsch ;)

What I'd really look forward to, and one of the rare things I've got the audacity to request... I'd really LOVE to see some frequently-launched satellite buses "contarized". Like the KAUR-1 (https://i.ytimg.com/vi/qpzfNOyr45g/hqdefault.jpg) and Meteor-1 (http://www.satflare.com/news/n3835/meteor-1-1.jpg). Those were launched rather frequently on lots of different missions, and I assume that they would add a lot of flavour to playing with Tantares+Contares.

1 hour ago, dimovski said:

Dir auch 'nen guten Rutsch ;)

What I'd really look forward to, and one of the rare things I've got the audacity to request... I'd really LOVE to see some frequently-launched satellite buses "contarized". Like the KAUR-1 (https://i.ytimg.com/vi/qpzfNOyr45g/hqdefault.jpg) and Meteor-1 (http://www.satflare.com/news/n3835/meteor-1-1.jpg). Those were launched rather frequently on lots of different missions, and I assume that they would add a lot of flavour to playing with Tantares+Contares.

Frohes neues Jahr!
Happy new Year!

Recreate real satellite is difficult in many respects:
For the first, satellites themselves in the same group often differ in detail. Sometimes more sometimes less. What is one to rebuild?
The second one, creates unique pieces which contradict the basic principle of the modular system.
Third, the integration of solar panels, Scientific instruments, control system, attitude control and communication devices in a complex object is difficult.
Personally, I would prefer if Modular systems like BoxSat would be expanded.

News from the sketchpad :)

The update to 1.6.2 is coming closer. To kick off the new year the first station modules with 1.875m diameter and a replica of ZENIT launcher will appear.

The optically nearly identical station modules are available in 3 versions:

1. Laboratory (2 Kerbals)
2. Habitat (3 Kerbals)
3. storage and recycling (TAC, Water treatment, CO2 filter)

No, there is no IVA's or just Stock or Tantares IVA's.

According to the dimensions of Tantares the 
ZENIT launcher is also executed in 1.875m diameter.

BVVoX7P.png

Edited by hraban

On 1/1/2016 at 3:50 PM, hraban said:

According to the dimensions of Tantares the ZENIT launcher is also executed in 1.875m diameter.

Excellent selection of 1.875m parts! :) 

Do you have a good resource for developing the Zenit parts from? I need to read more on it.

41 minutes ago, hraban said:

german project OTRAG in the 70'th and 80'th.

70s and 80s :wink: 

It looks very nice! I avoided to make one of these because of worries how KSP would handle such clustering (and SRB-only launchers are a little tricky to fly!).

But, you seem to have something working very well!

38 minutes ago, Beale said:

70s and 80s :wink: 

It looks very nice! I avoided to make one of these because of worries how KSP would handle such clustering (and SRB-only launchers are a little tricky to fly!).

But, you seem to have something working very well!

I believe he has made them as distinct clustered parts, no? Certainly makes the staging easier.

There are no SRB's. There are Liquid Fuel Engines with a power range from 40% to 100% thrust. Fuel is nitric acid and kerosine.
The problem is, there have no gimbal stearing. I made 3 types of Clusters:

4 half-length (6m) with 4 engines
4 full-length (12m) with 4 engines
16 full-length with 16 engines

2 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I believe he has made them as distinct clustered parts, no? Certainly makes the staging easier.

1 hour ago, hraban said:

There are no SRB's. There are Liquid Fuel Engines with a power range from 40% to 100% thrust. Fuel is nitric acid and kerosine.
The problem is, there have no gimbal stearing. I made 3 types of Clusters:

4 half-length (6m) with 4 engines
4 full-length (12m) with 4 engines
16 full-length with 16 engines

Silly me! Thanks for the info.

I see the design and instantly think SRB, throttleable engine + clustered parts makes a lot more sense.

I want to install contares over ckan, but get 

Module RealPlume has not been found. This may be because it is not compatible with the currently installed version of KSP

I use 1.05

regards

Mike

Edited by Nowater

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.