[1.3.x] CONTARES 1.8.9 closed

hraban

4 hours ago, hraban said:

First step to become a visible IVA and a lot of questions and problems.

- What is to do with windows?
- why the lighting will not work?
- why the IVA is not visible behind the Kerbals in Portrait view?

*FAINTS*

OH MY KOD AND BABY KESUS A CONTARES IVA!!! FINALLY!!!

It looks AMAZING for your first try @hraban. :D 

6 hours ago, hraban said:

IVA? I do not like IVA!

It's rainig and what comes in mind? Water ... river ... a euopean river (Dnepr) named a ukrain launcher. Well, to build launcher is much easier then #$%#§§+# IVA!

Huzzah, now i don't have to do it. Looks good this far, man! 

Edited by VenomousRequiem

51 minutes ago, VenomousRequiem said:

Looks good this far, man!

Thank you!

The work goes on, slowly.

Light will always not work with Unity 5. Who wants to install all switches and instruments?

Edited by hraban

Here is the BETA of PINBOL (Kliper)

The PINBOL is build to reenter from KSP-Stock low orbits. Do not reenter from orbits higher then 85km!

Do not forget to install a parachute. PINBOL is not build to land on gears. Unfortunatly there is no Paraglider in KSP so a standard parachute with more then 25m diameter will help to land safe.

- Transparence of windows in IVA will not work
- IVA view is very simple and will be better
- PINBOL has two airlocks, one at the end and one at the top
- Search for PINBOL in VAB so you find also two hollowed decoupler there makes no trouble on decoupling

Edited by hraban

Only really managed to get a quick abort test, but it actually flies! Wow! No offence to @Beale but I think you might have actually executed it perfectly. :P

And there's something about the style and colour of the interior... The colour really captures the soviet space program, you know what I mean? LIke it's about the colour seen inside of Mir and such. Very nice work.

Edit: 

Ahhh this thing is so cool! I did a full flight test and everything works fantastic.

Parachutes are for wimps. :P

I figured it glides well enough for me to do it without one, and it landed fine.

Edited by VenomousRequiem

9 hours ago, Doc-Zer0G said:

Question: I know it's but BETA, but will it fly with FAR/Future FAR support?

If FAR needs some changes on config-files then no. I don't use FAR.

9 hours ago, VenomousRequiem said:

I figured it glides well enough for me to do it without one, and it landed fine.

Right! If the user is not exceeding the minimum orbital altitude of 85km the rest is foolproof  :P:wink:

17 hours ago, VenomousRequiem said:

Only really managed to get a quick abort test, but it actually flies! Wow! No offence to @Beale but I think you might have actually executed it perfectly. :P

And there's something about the style and colour of the interior... The colour really captures the soviet space program, you know what I mean? LIke it's about the colour seen inside of Mir and such. Very nice work.

Edit: 

Ahhh this thing is so cool! I did a full flight test and everything works fantastic.

*snip*

I agree. It flies wonderfully, still didn't tried with landing gear but I think is possible. Anyway, I had to Hyper-edit pinbol in orbit, because at least with Tantares launcher (as you showed in page 20) is impossible to fly: too top-heavy and the craft is uncontrollable.

P.S. I would add a little more solid fuel and force to the abort system. It's a little weak (only a few meters from the launcher sitting at the pad) and burns for little time

Edited by trooperMNG

44 minutes ago, trooperMNG said:

I agree. It flies wonderfully, still didn't tried with landing gear but I think is possible. Anyway, I had to Hyper-edit pinbol in orbit, because at least with Tantares launcher (as you showed in page 20) is impossible to fly: too top-heavy and the craft is uncontrollable.

P.S. I would add a little more solid fuel and force to the abort system. It's a little weak (only a few meters from the launcher sitting at the pad) and burns for little time

I just used the Soyuz 5 from Contares. Without the boosters even. I could tell mechjeb was struggling, yeah, but it's flew fine! 

And i agree, the abort rockets need more thrust. It can't really get the spacecraft away too well. 

Speaking of aborts, one of the tests i did was ejecting off of the rocket and then flying back and landing back on the runway. I don't know why but i felt super cool afterwords. 

1 hour ago, trooperMNG said:

It's a BETA and you right, TLV cant start the PINBOL. The Excape-System becomes more power so a zero/zero abort take a safe high of 250m.

Abort engines indeed need more thrust.

RCS alone is enough to control the craft and preform a safe landing. However, without SAS or RCS the craft is unstable. I'd suggest moving the CoM forward just a little bit.

On 6.6.2016 at 6:09 PM, Doc-Zer0G said:

Abort engines indeed need more thrust.

RCS alone is enough to control the craft and preform a safe landing. However, without SAS or RCS the craft is unstable. I'd suggest moving the CoM forward just a little bit.

Non of the Shuttles or Gliders fly stable without Computer-Control. In the Mod the SAS is the Computer-Stabilizer. I will test with more Center of Mass in front. In my Landing- and Reentry-Cases i dont use the RCS, only the SAS.

Update:

CoM is set to 0.2m+. ESC makes now 300m on zero/zero.

Download BETA is updated. PINBOL (Kliper) BETA

Edited by hraban

7 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

The bottom is the first stage, correct? The engine just has its fairing showing?

Jep, the fairing is fictional build for compatibility and while there is no information about the shelter-booster and there connection to the first stage.

1 minute ago, hraban said:

Jep, the fairing is fictional build for compatibility and while there is no information about the shelter-booster and there connection to the first stage.

It goes 'FWOOOSH' and the rocket pops up into the air like a bunny.

8 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

It goes 'FWOOOSH' and the rocket pops up into the air like a bunny.

that 'Fwooosh' lifts the Dnepr ~60m up and accelerate the 211t to 15m/s. It's like a explosion in a very big gun.

Edited by hraban

There is definitely no information about the system which catapulted the DNEPR from the silo. After analysis of the available images and video sequences I start from the following:

On bottom of the silo is a propellant charge, expected to be a solid rocket booster. The propellant charge transfers the energy by a sabot on the rocket. This sabot falls back after leaving the silo and is kicked by a dorsal Booster aside.

The Barrel body is simply too small as he could be a booster.

30 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

iirc it was something like compressed air. Are you looking at English sources? If not I could take a quick look. I know for sure I've seen descriptions of it.

Please do it. I don't think thats air. There is heavy brown smoke and lighting of fire before the RD-264 ignite.

Show here: DNEPR Launch 2014

Edited by hraban

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.