[1.3.x] CONTARES 1.8.9 closed

hraban

1 hour ago, hraban said:

Please do it. I don't think thats air. There is heavy brown smoke and lighting of fire before the RD-264 ignite.

Show here: DNEPR Launch 2014

Like most Soviet ICBMs, R-36 and its Dnepr modification are launched from underground Silos. Unlike other launchers such as the UR-100 series (Strela and Rockot), Dnepr uses a cold-gas ejection system instead of propelling itself out of the silo by using its engines.

This system has two major advantages – the first is the initial boost supplied to the entire rocket mass by the ejection system and the second is that less damage to the silo is caused by using this type of system. Launchers that ignite inside the Silo require special protection on the inner walls of the silo and launching them still causes damage to the silo.

A cold-gas ejection system leads to less damage because ignition takes place 20 meters above the silo and allows a more rapid launch rate. It also reduces stress and acoustic loads on the payload.

Prior to launch, the first two stages of Dnepr are integrated inside an assembly facility before being inserted into the Silo by a transporter erector device. Then, the fueled third stage is mated to the stack inside the Silo. Afterwards, the payload unit consisting of the payload stack encapsulated in the fairing, is attached to the launcher. In the days leading up to launch, the first two stages are loaded with propellants inside the Silo before countdown operations get underway

Dnepr-Silo.jpg

So it's a black powder (!) gas generator that generates cold gas under a sabot (as you called it, the term is appropriate as far as I'm concerned), which pushes the rocket up. The sabot is then jettisoned and the rocket ignited 20m above the silo.

14 minutes ago, hraban said:

well, black powder makes white smoke, never brown smoke.

Regardless, we do not need in KSP. :) One part less, good!

nuh-uh, no way. I DEMAND you make the gas ejection system, as well as a full silo addon for Kerbal Konstructs, with which to launch it. :sticktongue:

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

nuh-uh, no way. I DEMAND you make the gas ejection system, as well as a full silo addon for Kerbal Konstructs, with which to launch it. :sticktongue:

1. Demands violate the forum rules :P
2. The KSP-physics does not allow an appropriate launch system.
3. Kerbal Konstruct ... not with me!
4. If then there as a launch pad which can move/place with 'Vessel Mover'.
In this case the cold gas plant would be the sabot with an "invisible" thruster and a silo as a rocket stage with decoupler.

1 minute ago, hraban said:

1. Demands violate the forum rules :P
2. The KSP-physics does not allow an appropriate launch system.
3. Kerbal Konstruct ... not with me!
4. If then there as a launch pad which can move/place with 'Vessel Mover'.
In this case the cold gas plant would be the sabot with an "invisible" thruster and a silo as a rocket stage with decoupler.

(is jokes)

11 hours ago, DJ Reonic said:

Anyone know how to make the retractable periscope jettison like the real thing? I want to be able to bind it to the action group I have set for my reentry prep.

Good idea. Both periscope has now decoupler so you can eject with 1kN before reentry. After ejection the Persicope drifts smooth and slowly away.

Edited by hraban

Dnepr replica KREPIR* without shelter and "cold-gas" catapult but functional in KSP.
Third stage in two different versions. The KREPIR lifts 3.6 tons in a 120/85 km LKO.

Not for use in connection with living things, the acceleration forces at flameout of the first stage will be +7g!

(* will be included with next release)

KDNaBLe.png

Release 1.7.3 today!

Edited by hraban

21 hours ago, hraban said:

Dnepr replica KREPIR* without shelter and "cold-gas" catapult but functional in KSP.
Third stage in two different versions. The KREPIR lifts 3.6 tons in a 120/85 km LKO.

Not for use in connection with living things, the acceleration forces at flameout of the first stage will be +7g!

(* will be included with next release)

*snip*

Release 1.7.3 today!

just one thing: which fairing am I supposed to use?

@hraban I have a bug to report. Your mod is activating realplumes/smokescreen on another mod without realplumes/smokescreen installed. The mod is SSTULabs by Shadowmage. He has found the problem and here's his quote on the problem:

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 10:42 AM, Shadowmage said:

Okay, more info;  I can confirm that this problem exists, AND that it is being caused by the Contares patches only if you don't have RealPlume installed..

The Contares patches are improperly triggering ModuleManager to -think- that real-plume is installed, which causes the SSTU-RealPlumes patches to get ran, which results in the engines no longer being linked to run the stock effects, which causes the effects to run all the time.

To fix the problem you will need to:

1.) Submit a bug-report to Contares to tell them to fix their patches;  They should not use  FOR block unless they ARE that mod; their real-plumes patches need to be ran in a BEFORE block, or some other method, that does not rely on a FOR[RealPlumes].  This is not a problem that I can solve; their patches are just wrong.  Anytime a mod uses a FOR block on a patch, it triggers module manager into thinking that the mod in that block is installed; which can cause other patches to run even when they shouldn't.  The proper method is to run their patches in a BEFORE[RealPlume]:NEEDS[RealPlume] type setup; this ensures that the patches only get ran when RealPlume is installed (the NEEDS part), and ensures that they get ran at the right point in time/right order (the BEFORE part).

2.) Install smokescreen and realplume to fix the problem until Contares can update their patches.

3.) After Contares has fixed their patches you can remove smokescreen/realplume if you don't want them.

@blowfish  is the one who pointed this out to me originally, as SSTU was causing the same problem for other mods.  Changing the FOR[RealPlume] to a BEFORE[RealPlume] on SSTU's patches fixed the problem with other mods.

1 hour ago, GoldForest said:

@hraban I have a bug to report. Your mod is activating realplumes/smokescreen on another mod without realplumes/smokescreen installed. The mod is SSTULabs by Shadowmage. He has found the problem and here's his quote on the problem:

This is not a bug.

It is on page one pointed out that RealPlume is a prerequisite.
Contares does not own stock engine effects and the few
remaining  will completely remove to version 1.8.

So long and RTFM

5 minutes ago, hraban said:

This is not a bug.

It is on page one pointed out that RealPlume is a prerequisite.
Contares does not own stock engine effects and the few
remaining  will completely remove to version 1.8.

So long and RTFM

Some people can't run RP, Hraban. You should really consider keeping your engines compatible with stock FX. 

22 minutes ago, VenomousRequiem said:

Some people can't run RP, Hraban. You should really consider keeping your engines compatible with stock FX. 

This decision I have long been taken and the decision went in favor RealPlume and smoke screen. From the next release of the folder RP patches can be deleted. The user then chooses a waiver of all effects on Contares engines.

1 minute ago, hraban said:

This decision I have long been taken and the decision went in favor RealPlume and smoke screen. From the next release of the folder RP patches can be deleted. The user then chooses a waiver of all effects on Contares engines.

I'm not trying to be mean, but you're saying you won't make you mod compatible with other mods?. It's your mod and you have the right to do with it as you please, but why make it to where your mod breaks other mods?

4 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

I'm not trying to be mean, but you're saying you won't make you mod compatible with other mods?. It's your mod and you have the right to do with it as you please, but why make it to where your mod breaks other mods?

Contares brakes no other mod if the prescribed conditions are met.

It's simple, if you cant run RealPlume/Smokescreen you cant use Contares as standard installation.

The other way is to delete all RealPlume Settings in Contares (in the next release that is one folder) and you has contares without effects.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.