[1.3.x] CONTARES 1.8.9 closed

hraban

8 minutes ago, hraban said:

By Ø of 1.5m 4 Kerbals was possible.

Ok, If the creation of the hermes mod tempts you, not to hesitate not has to write me if you wish information.

I understand perfectly the time which it takes you, I was to moddeur to Orbiter space flight simulator, I tried(tempted) on Ksp with the CRV but I do not have time any more, I am a dad of a girl who leaves me has effort the time to play in ksp. Thank you again for your mods

CRV test:

Edited by Well
link

7 minutes ago, Well said:

Ok, If the creation of the hermes mod tempts you, not to hesitate not has to write me if you wish information.

I understand perfectly the time which it takes you, I was to moddeur to Orbiter space flight simulator, I tried(tempted) on Ksp with the CRV but I do not have time any more, I am a dad of a girl who leaves me has effort the time to play in ksp. Thank you again for your mods

CRV test:

Hide contents

Hey, that CRV looks nice!

You are welcome. If I did not have fun, and not the time I would not do it.

I just discovered the OTRAG rockets and honestly am not sure what to make of them. They added basically zero additional cost to my payload, but seem a bit OP. Of course, we have no real life data, but these things are almost the come-all be-all for LKO payloads.

45 minutes ago, captainradish said:

I just discovered the OTRAG rockets and honestly am not sure what to make of them. They added basically zero additional cost to my payload, but seem a bit OP. Of course, we have no real life data, but these things are almost the come-all be-all for LKO payloads.

The OTRAG missile components have 75% of the nominal power that should be achieved according to plan. They are thus about 10% higher than the benefits which have been achieved in the long tests. To locate the parts to make at all usable for KSP this compromise was received. The poor ratio of thrust to weight makes itself apparent on larger bundles. For small payloads into LKO OTRAG is really an alternative.

14 minutes ago, hraban said:

The OTRAG missile components have 75% of the nominal power that should be achieved according to plan. They are thus about 10% higher than the benefits which have been achieved in the long tests. To locate the parts to make at all usable for KSP this compromise was received. The poor ratio of thrust to weight makes itself apparent on larger bundles. For small payloads into LKO OTRAG is really an alternative.

Well, they have become my standard launch vehicle for Station Science pods. I'm liking them a lot despite how ugly they are.

25 minutes ago, trooperMNG said:

I can see the future. That's why last week when I went to Paris with my girlfriend I visited Le Bourget Air and Space Museum. And I took a really sh*tty photo of something that @hraban and @Well are discussing about. Probably it will not help at all but it's a nice coincidence:)

Spoiler

kfrOAuN.jpg

Thanks, i ad the picture to the album

Edited by Well
language

21 minutes ago, hraban said:

Without words @Well and @trooperMNG :wink:

Reveal hidden contents
Spoiler

NXvezlv.png

Incredible.......             You are fast!      She already has a very good style!

I do not know if it interests a lot of people, but for me it is Christmas prematurely. I have never seen of model 3d this shuttle, in this version.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

May be I think that she would have a better head, with the a little finer nose, and smaller windows. It would be more elegant. But it is your interpretation.

so great

Spoiler

XeT457jlXNlJUIxIAvjaPNB7qYxqyCI7mwKBHQae

Edited by Well

16 minutes ago, Well said:

Incredible.......             You are fast!      She already has a very good style!

I do not know if it interests a lot of people, but for me it is Christmas prematurely. I have never seen of model 3d this shuttle, in this version.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

May be I think that she would have a better head, with the a little finer nose, and smaller windows. It would be more elegant. But it is your interpretation.

so great

Reveal hidden contents

XeT457jlXNlJUIxIAvjaPNB7qYxqyCI7mwKBHQae

A Kerbal could not see through the small window of the original with worn helmet. For this reason, the nose was a little further pulled down and enlarges the windows. The model is so far only a rough draft and will be refined. It lacks still a lot of details.

I find her already more elegant, beautiful

I don't no for the dock... you planned a part or just in the same model ?                         

hermsgif.gif

At the beginning hermes was planned to be launched on an evolution of ariane 44. ( Aliyana) my favorite launcher !

but Ariane 5 it's planned for man rated. it's also a beautiful rocket

Spoiler

Hermes_20.jpg

Edited by Well

2 hours ago, Well said:

@hraban 

I find her already more elegant, beautiful 

hermsgif.gif

pqoNgZT.png

Spoiler

V5WO6KI.png

Well with 1.5m  Ø the HERMES is to heavy for Ariane 44 but this will bring the testphase ingame. I think about four adapters/decouplers for 1.25m, 1.5m, 1.875m and 2.5m. The Ariane 5 i have not build so my favorite launcher is the Ariane 6 (A6 2.5m Ø).

Edited by hraban

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

Hermes was designed to fly on the Ariane 5, no? Why not just use Beale's, at least for testing? Or is his scaled wrong :P

There is the lovely rescale function to happiness. This is helpful not only in CLV (Ariane 5) of Beale. :P
Only, Contares does not own Ariane 5 in the portfolio, not yet!

@hraban this looks really great! Is there a reason I need TACLS to download and use this mod? It looks absolutely amazing (particularly the spaceplanes/winged RVs) and I'd love to try it out, but I don't use life support mods (spaceflight is hard enough for me without them).

Just now, ILikeIke said:

@hraban this looks really great! Is there a reason I need TACLS to download and use this mod? It looks absolutely amazing (particularly the spaceplanes/winged RVs) and I'd love to try it out, but I don't use life support mods (spaceflight is hard enough for me without them).

It is not necessary to install TACLS It makes the whole thing much more challenging :) 

1 hour ago, hraban said:

Is there now a plugin which allows you to connect various animations and aerodynamic effects? I would love to use a controllable parachute.

Reveal hidden contents

nTqpjms.png

I have never see a controllable parachute...

SpannerMonkey(smce) have tried manny options...

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/139853-sm-chute-eva-parachutes-for-kerbals-update-v-023-body-lift-fix/

4 minutes ago, ILikeIke said:

So which mods do I actually need to in my install to try yours?

The only absolutly required mod is Installation of RealPlume (contained engines use this mod only)!

5 minutes ago, Well said:

I have never see a controllable parachute...

SpannerMonkey(smce) have tried manny options...

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/139853-sm-chute-eva-parachutes-for-kerbals-update-v-023-body-lift-fix/

Thank you,

i have found this one:

will try out of this plugin next days.

Greetings, Hraban!

Please, if this would not be too difficult, could you create a part like a service module of Hermes ship:

Spoiler

hermes-1.png

That huge conical thing behind the spaceplane with two symmetrically opening bay doors on both sides.
It could be used with other Contares spaceplanes, too.

Originally this module was mentioned to be a single-use addon to the spaceplane, when the Hermes developers had realized that can't pack all those devices into the plane.
It contained a docking node in the rear side (available through a tunnel), fuel tanks, fuel cells, radiators (those four bay doors are) and so on.

Though in its maiden purpose this part would be a single-use, but if adding a heatshield, in KSP it could become reusable.

And maybe another, almost similar, counterpart for this part.

To explain the idea.

Every flight CST-100/Orion/PTK NP-like ship just losses its rear module with engines, solar batteries, docking and communication antennas, etc.

From another point, the LES tower must eject not only crew cabin, but all (useless for escape) scrap: tons of cargo, docking devices, antennas, in PTK NP and Clipper - also a habitat.  This makes LES huge and heavy.

So, with a similar part (but scaled up and rotated 180°) we can make a fully reusable ship consisting of two cones, sticked together with their bases. I.e.:  <)(>

• Front cone - a minimal crew capsule (say, VA TKS from Tantares, or anything else). Sharp end up. LES escapes only it. No docking node, a simple TKS-style nose section.
  • Rear cone - a reusable service module. A part looking like that part from Hermes, but scaled up and reversed.

Inside the rear cone (not Hermes) there could be:

• Habitat section with docking node (as on Soyuz andClipper).
  • Docking node in its sharp end (say, a stock shielded docking node). Rather than on Hermes (where such node is on the wide side of the cone), here it is on the sharp end. So, as on Hermes, Dreamchaser and TKS, crew cabin and docking node are on the opposite ends of the ship.
  • A chute box aside the docking node or under it.
  • Antennas and solar batteries. They are extended outward through those two bi-sectional doors when they are opened.
  • Two main engines looking back and two RCS collectors. Either also inside the capsule (covered with the doors when they are closed), or just like on other parts with engines: pixels on textures after the doors.
  • A heatshield covering the wide side.
  • Several tons of cargo.

As you can see, all these parts are already in game (stock, Tantares, Contares).
The only things this idea lacks: a large hollow conical envelope with two cargobay doors aside. Looking just the same as the Hermes service cone, but larger.

Between the cones there is a connecting truss. Maybe with single-use tanks, maybe just truss.

After the ship deorbits, the capsules separate from each other, aerobrake (with their heatshields) and land aside (with their chutes).
So, we gain: small LES, reusable service module - and one more thing.
If the service capsule contains a CommandPod ability, it can be used as a standard multi-purpose multi-use tug: with crew capsules, with spaceplanes, on its own.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.