[1.3.x] CONTARES 1.8.9 closed

hraban

4 hours ago, Montery said:

I can't get the Tweekscale part of Contares to work. But it works with other mods. I put the .cfg from the download in my game data folder. Is this the wrong place? How do I get Contares parts to allow tweekscale?  I would be thankful for any help I could get.

@Montery,

to use TweakScale and the Contares-specific sizes, of course, the Mod TweakScale must be installed. Please refer to the required mods in the OP.

The file 'DefaultScales.cfg' replaces the file of the same name in the folder '..\GameData\Tweakscale\'.
After the start of KSP the slider is visible for the size adjustment in the context menu of the selected part.
Caution, not all parts are equipped with this function. The configuration files '..\GameData\Contares\Patches\CONTARES_TweakScale.cfg' can be determined.

oh yes x-15!!  will it be a single part like some of the other shuttle things?  or will it be individual parts that can me mixed and matched?

if votes are tallied...  I would vote for modular design, I like to mix things up and use the parts elsewhere, but if a single part...  still YES!!

11 minutes ago, Bit Fiddler said:

oh yes x-15!!  will it be a single part like some of the other shuttle things?  or will it be individual parts that can me mixed and matched?

if votes are tallied...  I would vote for modular design, I like to mix things up and use the parts elsewhere, but if a single part...  still YES!!

In the case of the CX-15, it is much easier to design the wings and tailpieces as independent parts, but the suboptimal airodynamic performance of KSP is a challenge for the optimal centering of gravity while maintaining the true-to-original arrangement of the lifting surfaces.
For the time being it is produced as SinglePart.

hmm brings me to a new .dll idea.    would be interesting if there was a module you could add to a part on your craft that was a "COM" and a "COL" offset to the part.  this would basically add artificial mass (like some other mods do) and/or add artificial lift.  so you could make true to form craft and attach one of these modules to a part.  For instance attach this module to the wings then as you move the sliders the CoL indicator would move in the editor but leave the wings visually where they are.  and the same for mass, add this module to a part and then you could adjust it to move the "CoM" without visually moving any parts.

this also could be used to offset the "CoM" on capsules to get them to "Fly" correctly during reentry.  I have seen a few mods that do this to the capsules, not sure how it is done however.   but it makes them behave more realistically during re-entry.

this would help in making these sorts of things where the Aero model in KSP does not allow making a replica of a real craft.  I know there are some procedural weight type of mods out there to add mass, but they are all physical parts that ether go into the inline stack or surface attach to a part, and thus ruin the looks of a craft; if you are trying to get a specific look.

this could of course have settings for "realistic" displacement.  for instance the CoL / CoM adjustment could be limited to the physical dimensions of the part, so your new CoM would still be required to be within the confines of the part you attach this module to.  this would allow MM to insert this module to any part and the .DLL would figure out the parts dimensions and limit the adjustments to confine it to this part's physical area.  or it could be set to "unlimited" or atleast a larger adjustment range to really move the CoM or CoL greater distances.

I know not really pertinent to this thread but since it came up...

1 hour ago, Bit Fiddler said:

hmm brings me to a new .dll idea. ...

Nice idea. Even better if the module were added to a part, for example the control unit, and CoM / CoL / CoP of the complete construct could be moved around all axes. Would it be possible? Actually already the total CoL / CoM / CoP is already determined when the parts of KSP are put together. Now it takes a way to move the determined values on the axes. Per value three sliders. Of course, the module would have to react to load changes due to fuel consumption and so on, and restore the axis position within the mesh dimensions. Sounds like an autotrimm with default positions.
If you want to implement it, I am gladly available as a tester :)

Edited by hraban

lol if I had time to write code I would.

I hardly have time to play now and then.   but I have always wanted to get into KSP modding.  I have made mods for other games like space engineers, mount and blade, Kenshi, and a few others I guess...   any way, I like making mods, I just do not have time for it right now.

I enjoy 3D modeling, but I am no texture artist so I have piles of un-textured models.  I have even made a start at making models for KSP, but have not spent the time yet to figure out the import form blender to unity to KSP...  one of these days I really need to get that going.  I also got my Visual c# setup to write code for KSP, but again have not had time to do any real work on it.

Edited by Bit Fiddler

2 minutes ago, _Krieger_ said:

How are you going to make the landing gear?

It would be awesome if there was a way to implement landing skids.

As with the separate wings, this becomes a second step, always in the hope that the aerodynamic simulation in KSP will be better. I usually keep my fingers from gears, the stuff does not like what I want. Skids, on the other hand, are an easy task.

2 minutes ago, trooperMNG said:

Weren't skids already included? IIRC for your version of the DreamChaser i mean cargo shuttle. Maybe it only needs a tweakscale config

Very basic skids including tweakscale setting are included sience Dasault Hermes is released.

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 0:07 PM, notJebKerman said:

yeah. i know about that. im working on it. do u think i should add suplies to reentry vehicles too? i mean... tantares doesnt have them. except that... i know i dont have supplies on morgenrot and federazija. anything left? i will check tac ls but dont expect every part to have the same values. 

Did anything ever come of this? A complete TAC-LS to @RoverDude's USI-LS script in MM should be all that is needed - basically take out the TAC-LS modules, add in the equivalent from USI-LS, yes?

3 minutes ago, Murdabenne said:

Did anything ever come of this? A complete TAC-LS to @RoverDude's USI-LS script in MM should be all that is needed - basically take out the TAC-LS modules, add in the equivalent from USI-LS, yes?

Do not let it stop writing a USI-LS script that all parts affected by TAC-LS are concerned. If it is good and no errors are generated I will gladly take it into the official patches directory of Contares.

18 minutes ago, Murdabenne said:

Ich werde auf dieser heute Abend (US, Texas) arbeiten. Hoffentlich, werden die Änderungen nicht zu schwierig. 

Thanks but you better stay with the english language in the forum :wink:

Please note that certain TAC-LS modules, such as water purifiers and filter systems, are an integral part of Contares parts configurations.

Thank you for the advice.  This may be a bit more complex than I thought.

My German is quite rusty: nur ein bißchen these days - and that spelling is also how old school my German is.  I'm not sure if the grammar/diction was correct - I lived in Augsburg, München and Nürnberg, but that was nearly 20 years ago, with only a few visits since then  I really need to go there on holiday this December and go to the Christkindlesmarkt , etc.

39 minutes ago, Murdabenne said:

Thank you for the advice.  This may be a bit more complex than I thought.

My German is quite rusty: nur ein bißchen these days - and that spelling is also how old school my German is.  I'm not sure if the grammar/diction was correct - I lived in Augsburg, München and Nürnberg, but that was nearly 20 years ago, with only a few visits since then  I really need to go there on holiday this December and go to the Christkindlesmarkt , etc.

Then work a little more on your German so that you have a lot of fun in the Christmas season. 

1 hour ago, Bit Fiddler said:

will this have some sort of docking port on it?  or is the RCS only for attitude adjusting and not docking?

Please try a lexicon of space and aviation to learn more about the X-15.
In summary: The X-15 was a test device for Supersonic flights in the high atmosphere. During test flights, a peak of more than 100 km was reached. After the atmosphere over 40,000 m no longer allows aerodynamic controls, the aircraft received small control nozzles with which position corrections around axes could be carried out. A real orbital flight was never planned and was never possible with the available engines, propellants and auxiliary tanks.

This is exactly the case with the CX-15 for the cuddly kerbals, although with some exercise an orbital flight would actually be possible. However without return possibility!

A docking port is absolutely superfluous especially since I would not know where this should be placed. The CX-15 is a large tank that provides just enough space for the pilot with an rescue seat.

Edited by hraban

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.