[1.3.x] CONTARES 1.8.9 closed

hraban

44 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Awesome!

Hraban, if you run out of things to do, the MOK modules for the Eyes Turned Skywards MIR station could use some dedicated parts. :)

WtH is MOK?

If then MmOC (multi-module Orbital Complex)

All these parts can nevertheless already be built with Tantares and Contares?
What do you want for everything?

Edited by hraban

24 minutes ago, hraban said:

WtH is MOK?

In Eyes Turned Skywards, MIR is built different than in real life. The Soviets have a Saturn class lifter named Vulkan, which they use to launch a much larger MIR than the real one. It is made of 4 DOS modules, with 2 large MOK modules. The MOK modules are bigger than two DOS modules put together end-to-end. Here is a picture:

fetch.php?cache=&media=timelines:mir-cor

Additionally, several small spaceplanes are looked at. Here is the ESA Horus:

fetch.php?cache=&media=timelines:horus-1

To be clear, I'm not requesting things so much as suggesting things that I think you may find interesting. :)

Here is the page with more art for the alternate history project.

http://wiki.alternatehistory.com/doku.php?id=timelines:eyes_turned_skyward_media

3 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

fetch.php?cache=&media=timelines:horus-1

To be clear, I'm not requesting things so much as suggesting things that I think you may find interesting. :)

Here is the page with more art for the alternate history project.

http://wiki.alternatehistory.com/doku.php?id=timelines:eyes_turned_skyward_media

Another one of those "all just stolen"

http://machineagechronicle.com/2011/03/junkers-rt-8-the-1960’s-german-space-shuttle/

7 minutes ago, hraban said:

it actually IS the Sanger. At one point in the story, the ESA decides to try and actually develop it. The timeline is realistic and is mostly 'what-if' scenarios of things that were proposed actually getting built.

42 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

it actually IS the Sanger. At one point in the story, the ESA decides to try and actually develop it. The timeline is realistic and is mostly 'what-if' scenarios of things that were proposed actually getting built.

Well, I start my "Eyes turned skywards" rather with the technical possibilities of today than build ever on old concepts. Excursions in the past are strongly encouraged but not the target of Contares. Examples like OTRAG prove that it is often the wrong way. Any man transferor small shuttles have only one so far proved: It is cheaper and more economical to rely on reusable capsules.

9 minutes ago, trooperMNG said:

those renders are fantastic! And same should be a Contares version :):):)

Minotaur may look good, but the docking module is already outdated. The orbital module was much too small to achieve more modern space stations, operating in higher orbits.

Newer concepts was released as CLV, HTV-Manned and Federazija.

Edited by hraban

33 minutes ago, Well said:

Hope-X ! :D

In 2007 Italy had to imagine a space shuttle...

An interesting flexible concept I find

Hide contents

Aries A

clip1g.jpg

Like the concept, but it would be impossible to land the small capsule with their lousy aerodynamics safely land on a gear. Add a paraglider, then that will be work!

Basically the same concept was initially intended for Kliper.

3m2bOW4.png

Edited by hraban

@hraban KSC News : "Our teams of highly skilled engineers work around the clock to ensure the aerodynamism of the vehicle"

-----------------------------------

X-38 Crv video:  I love the lifting bodies, look so Kerbals ! :D

Spoiler

video of the project

Edited by Well

1 hour ago, RedParadize said:

That's lovely, its a two seater right? I wish it was bigger, like 4.

Regarding the size I need you unfortunately disappointing. HOPE-XL is exactly twice as large as the only prototype Hope-X. That is, Hope-XL is just 6.275m long, with a wingspan of 3.8m. The central body is not round, more of a rounded square with a maximum of 1.25m width and height.

No space propelled nation has large space plane in sight. The parts are to maintenance-prone and expensive. Smaller, unmanned spaceplane either test vehicle - or the vain attempt to get the concept alive. The few military are fully automated carrier with indefinite contract and / or prestige objects.

Edited by hraban

11 hours ago, Well said:

@hraban I do not even know if there is a real difference between the version with and without wings? Maneuverability? Weight?

Hide contents

hyp210.jpg

hyp110.jpg

It says that it will experience more G force in reentry (about the same amount as a soyuz) instead of a 1-2 G on the winged version , also for some reason it has about half the amount of delta v on the OMS than on the winged version (the second kliper) , and it has the same landing accuracy as a soyuz and the winged one can just land on any runway...,also it says that it's not fully reusable and the winged one is totally reusable , it's lighter by a ton than the second kliper and heavier by a ton the third kliper , it's probably has a bit more space inside because it says that the winged version has 2 cubic meters per person and the wingless has 2.2.. I don't know if we really need it altough I think it  can fit in carrier mod to be unlocked before the winged version... (LoL I know how to speak russian :sticktongue:)

I actually can't imagine anything more boring than Eyes Turned Skywards, why go to all the trouble of making a space exploration AU where everything is still terrible, limited by budgets, tiny spaceplane projects get cut etc? That's too realistic to be fun.

36 minutes ago, comham said:

I actually can't imagine anything more boring than Eyes Turned Skywards, why go to all the trouble of making a space exploration AU where everything is still terrible, limited by budgets, tiny spaceplane projects get cut etc? That's too realistic to be fun.

Actually it's very interesting. Some kind of middle way between sci-fi and reality

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.