[1.3.x] CONTARES 1.8.9 closed

hraban

Here is a concept to a mini-Landing-Device for asteroids and moons without atmosphere based of two renders of "Golden Spike".

The Lander holds one Kerbal in a small (0.9375 m) bulb.

PNnvv3c.png

HqoghwY.png1kXDlm9.pngdTNo8rD.png

Edited by hraban

42 minutes ago, hraban said:

Here is a concept to a mini-Landing-Device for asteroids and moons without atmosphere based of two renders of "Golden Spike".

*snip*

Neat! I'm guessing the door is the side of the bulb?

Just now, CobaltWolf said:

Neat! I'm guessing the door is the side of the bulb?

Yes, for safety both sides of the bulb can be open.

Btw. RCS comes on the small 3 trusses on the edge of the main body. The upper cone can be fit with a Contares 0.3125 m Service-Docking-Module.

6 hours ago, hraban said:

PNnvv3c.png

HqoghwY.png1kXDlm9.pngdTNo8rD.png

Have to say, this is absolutely adorable!

10 hours ago, CaptKordite said:

I like the cupola though I think I would prefer a much more vintage look, as if the Russians flew tourist flights in the 70s.
*snip*

For the stuff from the Stone Age of space travel is actually Beale responsible?
Your interpretation with tantares parts reminds me very much of this:

1_Mz4Landeschacht_Lancet.jpg

Raumpatrouille: Lancet

1965 German Science Fiction Series

What you think about this: Orbital-Module with many plane Windows, two bulb windows and one integrated telecope.

1InrJWo.png

Edited by hraban

9 hours ago, CaptKordite said:

Both the Sever and L1 space station projects included a Vostok-based tug called the Vostok-Zh for moving modules around.
*snip*

There is, in my opinion, far too little information on the projects mentioned above in order to design meaningful parts. If you have more information, drawings, design sketches and so on, then bring along!

For the Vostok tug, I don't think new parts need to be designed. Based on the illustrations I've seen you can cobble it together reasonably enough with existing parts. For the Sever, the Morganrot, though with a lot of RCS power that the original Big Souyz wouldn't have had, is a close enough analog.

9 hours ago, CaptKordite said:

For the Vostok tug, I don't think new parts need to be designed. Based on the illustrations I've seen you can cobble it together reasonably enough with existing parts. For the Sever, the Morganrot, though with a lot of RCS power that the original Big Souyz wouldn't have had, is a close enough analog.

:confused: BIG SOYUZ was not even a real project and dates back to the 90s. MORGENROT is a fictional vehicle that is oriented by "Super Soyuz or ZARYA" from 1989 and reflects the idea of a spaceship which can be landed without a parachute.

Edited by hraban

On 1/22/2017 at 0:25 PM, hraban said:

CLS1K in VAB

Textures are very simple now.

0SCAMzO.png

QuP9bxP.png

This reminds me of the "langley" lander that NASA was thinking about for the proposed Gemini EOR mission profile.
Will it be included in one of the future contares releases?

20 minutes ago, tjsnh said:

This reminds me of the "langley" lander that NASA was thinking about for the proposed Gemini EOR mission profile.
Will it be included in one of the future contares releases?

Yes, the CLS1K "Copper Hopper", based on "Golden Spike" LM project, will be included in the next release. Yesterday the IVA-Placeholder (minimum IVA) and the lighting were finished. The texture still needs a little fine sanding.

And this is a kerbalized version of ACRV "Big Soyuz" (impressions from http://www.russianspaceweb.com/soyuz_acts_origin.html) with trusses to fit into 2.5m cargo bay of stock shuttle parts.

The upper adapter can carry a 1.25m docking port. The Capsule has 1.875m diameter (like MORGENROT).

The Capsule, used as emergency escape system, can carry 5 Kerbals.

nGCDfU1.png

Edited by hraban

>> BIG SOYUZ was not even a real project and dates back to the 90s.

It goes back further than that. According to the Encyclopedia Astronautica:

"Sever. Part of the Soyuz Family. Russian manned spacecraft. Study 1959. Sever was the original OKB-1 design for a manned spacecraft to replace the Vostok. It was designed to tackle such problems as maneuvering in orbit, rendezvous and docking, and testing of lifting re-entry vehicles. AKA: 5K. Status: Study 1959. The Sever had the same 'headlight' shape as the later Soyuz re-entry vehicle, but was 50% larger. "

The L1 complex image (that it's not letting me share here) is pretty simplistic but looks like it would be the longer LOK service module with a Soyuz acorn-shapped capsule on top without the orbital module.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.